San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick Williams was the second overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, but it is difficult to see how he fits into the Minnesota Timberwolves plans.
    Williams went from starting at power forward to not playing a single minute in Wednesday's game as Kevin Love returned from a broken hand.

Rick Adelman appears to prefer the experience from Dante Cunningham and Lou Amundson.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Starter_To_DNP

Any chance the Wolves would dump him for Bonner, a guard or two, and a 1st and a 2nd round pick? What would it take to get him if the Spurs were interested?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance the Wolves would dump him for Bonner, a guard or two, and a 1st and a 2nd round pick? What would it take to get him if the Spurs were interested?
    Minny could be interested in Neal. They are a bad 3 point shooting team and they will need a SG with Roy likely re-retiring. Spurs could offer a Bonner+Neal+1st round pick package for Williams. It likely won't be enough but it's worth a phone call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He kind of sucks and I don't see the point in giving up Neal + a first rounder for a guy who will still be at best the Spurs 4th best big man (Tim/Tiago/Boris all ahead for sure - possibly even Blair.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about someone like Viacheslav Kravtsov? Is he any good? He's just rotting away on the Pistons bench who are rotating four big men ahead of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minny could be interested in Neal. They are a bad 3 point shooting team and they will need a SG with Roy likely re-retiring. Spurs could offer a Bonner+Neal+1st round pick package for Williams. It likely won't be enough but it's worth a phone call.
    Umm..the only thing going for Derrick Williams is that he is a No 2 pick and has a high ceiling. But since the Spurs are focussed on winning a championship, I think they would prefer to hold on to Neal and Bonner than to take up the Williams project.

Williams' number in both his rookie and his current season show him up as a project rather than a piece in a championship contender.

I hate Bonner too, but I guess I will hold on to him, until I can get a more useful role player (defensive minded PF) but Derrick Williams will not work for now.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumor says the Jazz are shopping Burks, not sure what they want for him and I know full well it doesn't address an immediate need but I would love to get him.

Splitter for Favors + Burks? Do they like white guys enough to do it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Favors has shown himself to be promising. Probably better than Splitter or at least close. Don't see them doing that for Tiago.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Favors has shown himself to be promising. Probably better than Splitter or at least close. Don't see them doing that for Tiago.
    Yeah, they most likely want to ship Burks + one of Jefferson/Millsap and they probably want a point guard back.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he [Varejao] would be the right player for our front-court rotation.

Good defender both in single coverage and in helpside, great rebounder, he's big and tough. We desperately need a 7 foot (although he's 6-11) with those skills, something Bonner, Blair and Splitter can't add.

Cleveland is trying to rebuild, and I think they could settle for Jack's contract coupled with a draft pick and maybe a young prospect (Blair? De Colo?).
    I hope RC is thinking of something like that, cause the rotation we have at the moment would be destroyed by Lakers' and Grizzlies' front courts.
    Last edited by Bruno; 11-25-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: add name of the trade target

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner + Blair for Evans + Teletovic in a "let's trade our scrubs for your scrubs, you never know" kinda trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does the wolves still have randolf??...whatever happen to this clown? spurs should have a look

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One guy that I think the Spurs could target in a trade is Gustavo Ayon who plays for the Magic. Last season, he was a revelation with the Hornets and did well under Monty Williams' tutelage. He isn't having the same kinda year with the mediocre Magic, but I think he can be a good role player for the Spurs. His is a cheap contract and I don't think the Magic will let him go, but if we can entice them with a pick and Corey Joseph (Jacque Vaughn's "protege"), then maybe perhaps. ESPN trade machine returns that the trade won't pass for want of $56,000 (!), but I think there must be a workaround (cash?).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One guy that I think the Spurs could target in a trade is Gustavo Ayon who plays for the Magic. Last season, he was a revelation with the Hornets and did well under Monty Williams' tutelage. He isn't having the same kinda year with the mediocre Magic, but I think he can be a good role player for the Spurs. His is a cheap contract and I don't think the Magic will let him go, but if we can entice them with a pick and Corey Joseph (Jacque Vaughn's "protege"), then maybe perhaps. ESPN trade machine returns that the trade won't pass for want of $56,000 (!), but I think there must be a workaround (cash?).
    That trade would work. The trade machine erroneously counts the Spurs as over the luxury tax and applies the 125% rule. The Spurs are below the tax threshold and the 150% rule applies. Just have to convince Orlando to trade a young center for a young PG.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradech..._trade/6164040

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That trade would work. The trade machine erroneously counts the Spurs as over the luxury tax and applies the 125% rule. The Spurs are below the tax threshold and the 150% rule applies. Just have to convince Orlando to trade a young center for a young PG.

Thanks. If Ayon continues to underwhelm and Magic get into a stronger logjam when Al Harrington returns from injury, I guess... the possibilities of prying Ayon will be higher. How is Cory Joseph doing so far in the NBDL? Has the league started for the Toros?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. If Ayon continues to underwhelm and Magic get into a stronger logjam when Al Harrington returns from injury, I guess... the possibilities of prying Ayon will be higher. How is Cory Joseph doing so far in the NBDL? Has the league started for the Toros?
    Opening night is Dec 1st. Cory played in one preseason game for the Toros:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201.../gameinfo.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Toronto wants to clear up cap space next summer (something Bruno mentioned as a possibility in the Free Agency thread), they could trade Amir Johnson for expiring contracts so they could amnesty Kleiza or Bargnani. Bonner has a million guaranteed, so it's not perfect, but they might be interested in something the Spurs could put together (Bonner, other expirings, pick).

Blaaaah
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ayon isn't that young actually. He is 1985 born, thus 27 yo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millsap is highly likely to be on the table come the trade deadline. His role is being diminished more and more regularly with the emergence of Favors. He can't be happy with his role considering it's a contract year and surely hurting his value. He is going to walk for nothing if they don't move him (assuming they don't re-sign him which would be difficult to imagine as it's a lot of money to pay for a guy who you don't really want to play in crunch time over Favors).

Expiring contracts, decent talent and draft picks will be the likely package and Spurs have that.

Bruno - thoughts on this? Diaw and Tiago seem to be a good combo (at least they are improving). With that in mind if you can replace Blair with Millsap in the starting line up next to Tim, don't the Spurs have to be interested?
    Last edited by DPG21920; 11-26-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd seriously consider selling high on Tiago right now.

We know he can't really be difference maker vs teams that go small, can't post up PGs, it's like Bonner who can be guarded by midgets, it's only interesting on paper, irl there's no real mismatch.

And vs big teams like the lakers/grizz he doesn't do much, he's there to rebound essentially and he's not exactly elite at that.

Boston could be interested, he would be a good fit next to Garnett and Green who are both preimeter oriented. Now why would they take him over a beast like Varejao, well his salary is pretty low and they don't exactly have much flexibility/tradeable contracts. I'd do Tiago for Bradley + one of their rookie big, it's a long shot and I don't think Boston would go for it but I think it would help our chance in the playoff way more than it would hurt them.

We also need a veteran big for the minimum no matter what to be clear, my line of thinking is that the drop off with say a McDyes wouldn't be that bad.

The other movable piece aside from Splitter is clearly SJax thanks to his expiring contract, but I think Sjax is harder to replace since he can be such a good PF defender/playoff performer (and just a tough mofo), I'd only do it if we could get Kenyon Martin and if we get him I'm not sure we'd look to make a move anymore. But if we could get someone cheap and good at the 3 like Gelabale (ever since Bruno mentioned he was going to be availlable soon it seems like a great idea) and get a good big via trade, it could make for a pretty awesome move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy I would target is Emeka Okafor. It would be a gamble similar to what Dallas did back in 10 with Tyson Chandler. He has a high bbiq, he is a good rebounder and shot-blocker. Not the best situation for him in Washington and i think a guy like him would flourish in SA's system.

It's pretty clear that the Ariza/Okafor experiment was a major failure for Washington. At this point, Washignton would gladly move them for expirings. Perfect target to move BonBon. SA would have to use Jackson's expiring though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno - thoughts on this? Diaw and Tiago seem to be a good combo (at least they are improving). With that in mind if you can replace Blair with Millsap in the starting line up next to Tim, don't the Spurs have to be interested?
    Keeping both Millsap and Al Jefferson seems too much for Utah if they want to develop Favors and Kanter. Millsap seems to be the odd man out right now. The issue, is that, even if Spurs are interested, they don't really have the necessary pieces to get him. Other teams could/would offer a better package for him.

While I can see Spurs doing a trade to get a bigman, it will likely be for a low profile player because they don't have the assets to get better. Derrick Williams was an interesting option talked few days ago. I would throw another name after yesterday's game: Jan Vesely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick Williams was an interesting option talked few days ago. I would throw another name after yesterday's game: Jan Vesely.
    What do you think it would take to get Vesely? Bonner and 1st round pick works salary wise, but I'm not sure Washington would do it. Blair and two of Mills/Neal/Joseph? Bonner and a guard for Vesely and filler?

I still like the idea of Williams. He's not super athletic, but he is young and skilled and could work in the Spurs system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vesely is super athletic but he is completely lost offensively and defensively. Way too raw to help now. I definitely prefer the Derrick Williams idea. He is much more skilled and ready to contribute now. The situation for him in Minny is bad and he will never flourish with Love there.

Considering Minny's situation now at the 2 position with Roy probably retiring again, they would love to have Green or Neal. I just throwed the idea of Green + Blair for Williams and Minny fans from realgm loved it. They need a 2 that can defend and shoot to pair with Rubio and Green is a perfect fit. But again, would the Spurs FO do it ? I doubt it considering Green's role in SA as the starting 2.
    Neal + Blair + Bonner makes much more sense for SA, but I don't think Minny would be thrilled with that offer.

I agree with Bruno that knowing the SA's FO, they will probably pursue a low profile player getting little PT due to a glut at the position. Guys like Patterson, Udoh and Williams, etc.

Thread Information