Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY!!! YODA's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IS it possible to update the original page with all the summer signings?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IS it possible to update the original page with all the summer signings?
    For the moment, I lack some contract infos about Spurs' contracts to do a full breakdown. I will edit the first post later in the summer when infos pop up.

The latest Spurs' cap situation.

Spurs 09-10 salaries :

Players with a guaranteed salary :
    Spurs have 11 players with a fully guaranteed contract.
    Salaries for these 11 players are :
    Tim Duncan: $22,183,220
    Richard Jefferson: $14,200,000
    Tony Parker: $12,600,000
    Manu Ginobili: $10,728,130
    Antonio McDyess: $5,854,000
    Roger Mason: $3,780,000
    Matt Bonner: $3,256,000
    Michael Finley: $2,500,000
    George Hill: $1,081,680
    Ian Mahinmi: $899,700
    Marcus Haislip: $855,189
    The total salary for these 11 players is $77,937,919

Player without a fully guaranteed contract:
    Marcus Williams contract is likely fully non-guaranteed and likely becomes more and more guaranteed with the summer advancing. His full salary for 09-10 is $825,497.
    Malik Hairston contract is likely partially guaranteed. His full salary is $736,420 but count as $825,497 against the luxury tax.

The Luxury Tax:

Luxury tax threshold in 09-10:
    The luxury tax threshold is $69.92M for 2009-2010.

How far will end up above the tax:
    If they don't do trades, Spurs will be at least $9M if they fill the roster with the cheapest way possible. If Spurs don't take the cheapest road, they will be easily be $10M above the tax. Thanks Peter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When will we get the confirmed new salary info on the usual sources (Hoopshype, Sham)?

Seems the list above needs to roll forward to 2010 for this thread, so we can try to speculate what the roster will be after 2009.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First post updated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so with Bogans where are we?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sham has the Spurs at $79.911M without Bogans. The Spurs are on the hook for $825k for Bogans. So that puts them at $80.737M for 16 players. Williams being $825k completely unguaranteed and Hairston being $736k with only a $50,000 guarantee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First post updated.
    If I've make some mistakes, let me know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wtf is Bruno ?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wondering the same thing the other day. He had gotten pretty bitter after the whole Parker debacle while Parker was playing in France. I'm wondering if it made him take a break from this place for a while.

He'll be back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wondering the same thing the other day. He had gotten pretty bitter after the whole Parker debacle while Parker was playing in France. I'm wondering if it made him take a break from this place for a while.

He'll be back.
    I remember a thread where it was said that Bruno is gonna to contribute to an american site for European prospects something like that. Maybe he is quite busy doing that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it possible to write an NBA contract that allows a player to take a leave of absence and play in a different league (eg the equivalent of a university sabbatical) under specific cir stances? Yes, this seems an odd clause to include, but consider the challenges of signing both Manu and Splitter. Both players must be concerned about a work stoppage in the 11/12 season, Splitter in particular.

A clause that said, in the event of a work stoppage in the NBA, the player is en led to take a leave of absence from the club and seek employment elsewhere on a short term/temporary contract would allow them to alleviate these income concerns (benefits the player), allows them to stay in game shape (benefits the Spurs), and would likely make signing them much easier...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First post updated. Let me know if I've make a mistake.

Is it possible to write an NBA contract that allows a player to take a leave of absence and play in a different league (eg the equivalent of a university sabbatical) under specific cir stances? Yes, this seems an odd clause to include, but consider the challenges of signing both Manu and Splitter. Both players must be concerned about a work stoppage in the 11/12 season, Splitter in particular.
    I don't think it's something you can write in a contract. What happens during the lockout will be decided league wide.

During the 99 lockout, players were allowed to sign overseas but FIBA disagreed that Euro teams signed players for only a couple of months.

The bottom line is that p layers likely won't be paid during the lockout. So I don't see how the league can forbid them to play overseas. What will be important it that they are available at the end of the lockout if they want to get back their previous NBA contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First post updated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First post updated with some additional infos on Temple and Gee contract (thanks to Sham).

Thee is something to note on how smart Spurs FO is when it comes to CBA tricks:

On March 23rd, Spurs decided to sign Temple for the remaining of the season and for 2010-2011. The usual way to do it is to sign him to a prorated minimum contract for the end of the year and to a minimum contract for 2010-2011 with some guaranteed money (let's say $50K). Given that Spurs will be over the tax in 2010-2011, Temple would have cost $100K to Spurs in 2010-2011 if he was waived at the end of the training camp.

There is a rule in the CBA that a player, that isn't signed as a draft pick, and who is paid less than a 2 years vet count like a 2 years vet against the tax. In Temple case, his 2009-2010 salary would have been $61,909 and Spurs would have paid $111,685 in tax on it.

Last summer, Spurs spend $5.35M of their MLE on Dice and Blair. $504K of their MLE was available. This remaining MLE was reduced by 1/170th each day after January 10th to be at $291K on March 23rd.

Here is the smart part: Spurs use a part of their MLE to sign Temple to $111,000 for the rest of the season and the min salary for the next year. Instead of giving him a $50K guarantee for 2010-2011, they gave him an additional $49K this year ($111K - $61,909). Spurs would have to pay $50K in luxury tax on the guarantee for 2010-2011 while they $0 in tax with their move: Temple still count for $111,685 against the tax this year. Spurs saved $49K in luxury tax with this move.

It's also a win scenario for the player: he gets his money sooner and if he stick with the team, he will earn more money than a player who signed the classical min contract with guaranteed money.

Spurs also use their MLE on Gee. The min contract for him was $45,759 with a $82,550 tax hit. They paid him $150K for the rest of the season. Gee get $104K more than a min salary and Spurs will pay an additional $71K for these $104K. Spurs saved $33K with that move.

It's also noteworthy that between the $150K paid to Gee this year and the $100K guaranteed on is contract after July 1st, Spurs will pay $500K with the luxury tax just to have him on training camp. That's a lot of money and a sure sign that Spurs are high on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great info, Bruno.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should be a sticky thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info Bruno, great stuff.

This should be a sticky thread.
    I agree, can we sticky this? I know we already have a ton of stuff up there, but this is one of those threads I'm always looking for, and one that everyone should read before they propose anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is linked in the Link Dump thread as are some other Think Tank threads. I find it was a good way to easily access it without having too much sticky threads. Now, if you guys want it as a sticky thread, let's do it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno? I've got a question for u...
    how is the Splitter's situation right now? Im a caja laborals fan (splitter team), and here everybody says that Tiago will leave us...
    Do you think Spurs will offer him the full MLE? of course i want him here , I just dont want him playng for madrid hehehhe

thanks again

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and Bruno, u know what? people says that u are the guy who find out the cba rule( the one that alows splitter sign a better contract).
    is true?

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to admit that I didn't completely understand all the tax implications and other details.
    what I see (weather it's been the major intention or not) is a team, that needs to fill several roster spots, but hasn't a lot of options (MLE, BAE) to do this.
    by creating all this non guaranteed contracts, the Spurs more or less created an additional MLE for them. and that's genius. really really genius.
    the trade potential of the 4 contracts is 5.5 million $!
    the best thing is, by different combinations of those 4 contracts you can create any needed number between 750K and the 5.5 million to facilitate a trade.
    weather the Spurs use this option (and also create a higher tax bill) or not, is another story. point is, they are not only reduced to what the exceptions can bring in.
    the ungaranteed contracts might even be more valueable than more money for FAs.
    we don't know how the free agency will develop, but there is a good chance that the cap space teams are forced into bidding wars and then desperately look to increase their cap space by dumping a player. (TEs will be of the same value of course, but not many teams hold a 5 million $ TE)

who could be interested?
    a team like the Bulls for example. James Johnson could be the deal.
    or Heat and Cook. Nets and Yi. Wizards and Young. Kings and Laundry. OKC and Krstic or Collison. Minni and Gomes or Sessions. Knicks and Chandler.
    quite some more I guess, if going deeper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno? I've got a question for u...
    how is the Splitter's situation right now? Im a caja laborals fan (splitter team), and here everybody says that Tiago will leave us...
    Do you think Spurs will offer him the full MLE? of course i want him here , I just dont want him playng for madrid hehehhe

thanks again
    The maximum contract Spurs are allowed give to Splitter this summer is $35M/5 years. The are also allowed to give Caja Laboral an extra $500K to pay a part of Splitter buyout.

Spurs will never offer that much money to an unproven NBA player like Tiago. I think they will offer him a 3 years contract with a salary between $3M and $4M per year. They will also give $500K to Caja Laboral and Splitter will use his contract to pay the rest of his buyout. It will be a similar contract to the one Scola got from Houston and Scola had a bigger buyout to pay.

Splitter is still under contract with Caja Laboral for 2 more years. He has in his contract a clause that allow him to leave Caja Laboral for the NBA for 1M (I'm not sure if it's in € or in $). It was also said that he has a clause to go to another European team but way higher (maybe in the €8M or €10M range).

Madrid or Barcelona won't pay that much money to get Splitter. The only way they become a serious candidates to get Splitter is if Querejeta agrees to lower Splitter's buyout amount for another European team. Given Querejata's past moves (Mickael, Prigioni and Vidal going to Madrid or Barcelona), I can see him really quickly say to other Europeans team: " if you give us €2M or €3M, Splitter can be yours."

and Bruno, u know what? people says that u are the guy who find out the cba rule( the one that alows splitter sign a better contract).
    is true?

It isn't true.
    NBA teams and good agents of course knew this rule. Some fans with a good CBA knowledge also knew it. This rule wasn't just known by Spurs fans (on this site and other ones) and I've shared it with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the trade potential of the 4 contracts is 5.5 million $!
    It's a little less than $5.5M.
    There combined salary is $3,140,974. With the 125%+100K rule, the max salary Spurs can absorb in a trade is $4,026,217.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks Bruno!
    Like I say, I hope he arrive in San Antonio soon,
    Real Madrid is struggling and i hear that they want our 21 so bad!!!
    is like Duncan going to dallas, can u imagine?

Thread Information