Height: 6-10 / 2.08
    Weight: 235 lbs. / 106.6 kg.
    College: Kansas State
    Years Pro: 1

Info

---------------------

Just red on Real GM that Nets have refused a trade proposal by Miami :
    Dooling for Beasley
    Looks like Beasley is not considered anymore in Miami's plans, and they're trying to get rid of him in any possible way...

I know our F.O. usually is not willing to spend time on head cases, but we're talking about the possibly ideal complement for Timmy, a big, big talent.

So maybe he's worth the risk...

Any chance something happens ?
    Last edited by Bruno; 06-04-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: fix title + add profile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If rumors are true that Heat have offered Beasley for Dooling (whose contract is only $500K guaranteed), Spurs could offer a similar deal.

Jerrells + Hairston + Gee + Temple + Mahinmi (S&T, starting salary of $885,120) for Beasley works salary wise. The key would be to convince Mahinmi to go to Miami.

Nets trade will leave Miami with a $500K cap hit and no players. Spurs trade will leave Miami with a $985K cap hit (Gee salary is $100K guaranteed) and a player (Mahinmi). The cap hold for a player will be $474K. At the end, Spurs trade will free only $11K less in cap space for Miami than Spurs trade. It's quite similar.

Now, the big drawback of thsi trade is that Beasley salary is $5M, that is to say $10M with the tax. I don't think Spurs are ready to spend that much money to add him.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The money is the deal breaker. I think the Spurs might take a chance on Beasley if the Heat are only looking to dump him, but adding another 5 million on top of possibly signing Splitter is not going to happen. The only way it would happen is if the Spurs involved a third team and moved either McDyess or RJ in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it helps if rj opts out...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thanks. I'll be shocked if this kid ever gets it together.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If rumors are true that Heat have offered Beasley for Dooling (whose contract is only $500K guaranteed), Spurs could offer a similar deal.

Jerrells + Hairston + Gee + Temple + Mahinmi (S&T, starting salary of $885,120) for Beasley works salary wise. The key would be to convince Mahinmi to go to Miami.

Nets trade will leave Miami with a $500K cap hit and no players. Spurs trade will leave Miami with a $985K cap hit (Gee salary is $100K guaranteed) and a player (Mahinmi). The cap hold for a player will be $474K. At the end, Spurs trade will free only $11K less in cap space for Miami than Spurs trade. It's quite similar.

Now, the big drawback of thsi trade is that Beasley salary is $5M, that is to say $10M with the tax. I don't think Spurs are ready to spend that much money to add him.
    I was thinking more to a sign and trade of Bonner (instead of Mahinmi)...at the end, Beasley could well be the "outside shooter" instead of him, for Miami could be a more than decent role player in the some position of Beasley, and I don't think that the Red Rocket could not like the new destination...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking more to a sign and trade of Bonner (instead of Mahinmi)...at the end, Beasley could well be the "outside shooter" instead of him, for Miami could be a more than decent role player in the some position of Beasley, and I don't think that the Red Rocket could not like the new destination...
    Two problems with that.

1. Doesn't create much additional salary cap space for Miami, which appears to be their goal.

2. Adds 10M in to the Spurs overall payroll. If they're going to sign Splitter, a second expensive move like this one seems unlikely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it helps if rj opts out...
    Not really. If he punks out on the Spurs, we'll still be over the cap, and would have to address our weakness at the 3 entirely through the draft or using the BAE remainder of the MLE. You'd also be losing your entire bench of budget-friendly back-ups at the 1, 2, 3, and 5. It's all kinds of bad news if RJ opts out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two problems with that.

1. Doesn't create much additional salary cap space for Miami, which appears to be their goal.

2. Adds 10M in to the Spurs overall payroll. If they're going to sign Splitter, a second expensive move like this one seems unlikely.
    1) the unguaranteed contracts of Jerrels, Temple, Gee and Hairston create the additional cap space and a sign and trade of Bonner (instead of Mahinmi) could be well seen, considering he's a proven decent role player that stretches the defense (part of what Beasley should have been for Miami);

2) if you want talent you have to scarifice economic reasons...and in this case it should be worth the risk, considering the potential of Beasley (2° draft cjhoice overall just two years ago) and the fact that his contract is guaranteed only for next season, the other two being team options...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) the unguaranteed contracts of Jerrels, Temple, Gee and Hairston create the additional cap space and a sign and trade of Bonner (instead of Mahinmi) could be well seen, considering he's a proven decent role player that stretches the defense (part of what Beasley should have been for Miami);

2) if you want talent you have to scarifice economic reasons...and in this case it should be worth the risk, considering the potential of Beasley (2° draft cjhoice overall just two years ago) and the fact that his contract is guaranteed only for next season, the other two being team options...
    1) I suppose it depends on what you believe Bonner would take in a S&T. I'm assuming it will be close to the 3.2M he made last season. That doesn't create much new cap space for Miami.

2) You were right last summer in suggesting that the Spurs would spend roughly 20M above the cost of remaining just below the luxury tax. They are apparently committed to spend at that level again this year. Spending yet another 10M above that level seems unrealistic to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Heat completely run out of options and really want Beasley gone the Spurs could possibly talk them in to trading Beasley and Cook for McDyess + unguaranteed contracts. The Heat wouldn't get the savings they were initially looking for, but they would save some money in the deal and they would get a decent, unproblematic vet player in return. They would have to pay the trade kicker, but that could be worth it to them if they see enough value in the final unguaranteed year of McDyess' contract...which could be valuable in future deals.

The Spurs would get Beasley and a three point shooter that just happens to be making around LLE money...only now they don't have to go out and use the LLE to find one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Heat completely run out of options and really want Beasley gone the Spurs could possibly talk them in to trading Beasley and Cook for McDyess + unguaranteed contracts. The Heat wouldn't get the savings they were initially looking for, but they would save some money in the deal and they would get a decent, unproblematic vet player in return. They would have to pay the trade kicker, but that could be worth it to them if they see enough value in the final unguaranteed year of McDyess' contract...which could be valuable in future deals.

The Spurs would get Beasley and a three point shooter that just happens to be making around LLE money...only now they don't have to go out and use the LLE to find one.
    Not sure Beasley can play the 3 at all, but if he could and the spurs traded away mcdyess this would open a spot for Ian behind Splitter...Just a thought

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he can. He would basically replace McDyess on the front line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not too crazy bout this kid and at only 6'8, he prefers to play outside more than inside. The talent is still there I think to be a very good NBA player though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) I suppose it depends on what you believe Bonner would take in a S&T. I'm assuming it will be close to the 3.2M he made last season. That doesn't create much new cap space for Miami.

2) You were right last summer in suggesting that the Spurs would spend roughly 20M above the cost of remaining just below the luxury tax. They are apparently committed to spend at that level again this year. Spending yet another 10M above that level seems unrealistic to me.
    I don't think that Bonner has a chance to take in this market the some amount he made last year...and at the some time I think Spurs are gonne pay some money, maybe to the same Bonner, just for having the big man with outside shot : and if I have to spend 3 millions (read six) for a player like Bonner I prefer to spend something more risking on a player with a lot more talent.

Imho the ideal for this trade could be :

unguaranteed of Temple - Hairston - Gee - Jerrels plus a signed and traded Bonner for something exceedin the LLE (say two millions).

It opens some cap space for Miami, gives them a decent role player at a more than decent price, gives Bonner probably the best deal he can find in the open market, gives the chance to S.A. to take back some of the "ungaranteed" players after they've been cutted for salary reasons from Miami plus gives us a player with great potential to be a young cornerstone for our team (at some acceptable risk, considering that after one season, if the experiment goes bad, we can simply decide to not exercise our team option).

Don't you think that could be a fair trade...?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no if we get rid of gee or hariston to get him that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that Bonner has a chance to take in this market the some amount he made last year...and at the some time I think Spurs are gonne pay some money, maybe to the same Bonner, just for having the big man with outside shot : and if I have to spend 3 millions (read six) for a player like Bonner I prefer to spend something more risking on a player with a lot more talent.

Imho the ideal for this trade could be :

unguaranteed of Temple - Hairston - Gee - Jerrels plus a signed and traded Bonner for something exceedin the LLE (say two millions).

It opens some cap space for Miami, gives them a decent role player at a more than decent price, gives Bonner probably the best deal he can find in the open market, gives the chance to S.A. to take back some of the "ungaranteed" players after they've been cutted for salary reasons from Miami plus gives us a player with great potential to be a young cornerstone for our team (at some acceptable risk, considering that after one season, if the experiment goes bad, we can simply decide to not exercise our team option).

I don't - Miami want as much cap space as they can get and they'll definitely receive better offers than Bonner(s&t) + unguaranteed contracts. Keyon Dooling straight up is a much better offer for Miami, nuff said.

I could see Dallas making a move for Beasley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His talent is crazy, but his work ethic is beyond a question. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. In all honesty this guy could be better than Jeff Green or be a best case Zach Randolph with outside skills as well. I hate to see such great talent go to waste.
    Drew Gooden was the first player that came to mind for me...but I guess Randolph is a better example as it probably has more to do with motivation. Gooden is just dumb.

If the Spurs were to do the trade I proposed I'd be happy with it. For what the Spurs would be giving up he is talented enough to gamble on. The worst that could happen is it doesn't work out and he is either traded at the deadline or the Spurs don't pick up his option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plus gives us a player with great potential to be a young cornerstone for our team (at some acceptable risk, considering that after one season, if the experiment goes bad, we can simply decide to not exercise our team option).

Sorry my friend, but I don't share your enthusiasm for Beasley. The simple fact is that he was the second overall pick just two years ago and the team that knows him best would rather have 4-5M in cap space than keep him. That sends up red flags for me.

Your point about the option isn't quite right. If the Spurs acquire Beasley, the decision on his 4th year option must be taken by Oct 31, 2010. They would only have training camp and the preseason to decide whether to pick up a 6.2M guarantee for 2011-12.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry my friend, but I don't share your enthusiasm for Beasley. The simple fact is that he was the second overall pick just two years ago and the team that knows him best would rather have 4-5M in cap space than keep him. That sends up red flags for me.

You're right on this point, but it's obvious that you never have a chance to take a player with that amount of talent if ther's not some risk...what I say is that, in our situation (next year we projected to be over the lux tax), I think it could be the case to take some risk. Also for some additional reason :

1) next year is probably the last year we can have a chance at a le with our actual core and Beasley would be, in any case, an improvement over Bonner;
    2) after this year (barring the case we win the championship) we necessary have to start to add some new, young and the more talented as possible pieces...Beasley satisfy all these elements;
    3) if all goes well, he's still for two years in his rookie contract;
    4) if the guy is such a head case and ther's no way to take out from him a good player in our system is something that Pop and our F.O. have a very good chance to understand in quick time...they are experienced enough to understand if a player will never be a spurs player, so you're right when you say :

"Your point about the option isn't quite right. If the Spurs acquire Beasley, the decision on his 4th year option must be taken by Oct 31, 2010. They would only have training camp and the preseason to decide whether to pick up a 6.2M guarantee for 2011-12.
    but it's also true that if a player with such a talent has shown, after preseason and training camp, the chance to be a player that fits for us, he's worth at least a two year chance;

5) finally, I think that one of the best chances for a guy who's risking to be an head case and waste all of his talent ins if the guy has the luck to find a right enviroment with players, also players better than him, giving the right exemple of how to be an nba player a coaches that treat everybody, talented or not, in the some way : this description possibly suggest you some team?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry Mel13 but I made a mistake quoting ... hope you 'll find then way to estrapolate what I wrote as my idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry Mel13 but I made a mistake quoting ... hope you 'll find then way to estrapolate what I wrote as my idea.
    I was able to follow your ideas. As usual, you make a good case. I'm still not buying Beasley at the price you suggest.

I could go for benefactor's suggested trade of Dice plus filler for Beasley plus Cook. If we assume that the Spurs will use the LLE to sign a shooter or wing defender, then that deal is cost neutral for 2010-11. I'd go one step further and decline Beasley's 4th yr option and make 2010-11 into a contract year for him. There would be some risk that he would play his way out of our ability to retain him for 2011-12, but that would be good for the 2010-11 Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was able to follow your ideas. As usual, you make a good case. I'm still not buying Beasley at the price you suggest.

I could go for benefactor's suggested trade of Dice plus filler for Beasley plus Cook. If we assume that the Spurs will use the LLE to sign a shooter or wing defender, then that deal is cost neutral for 2010-11. I'd go one step further and decline Beasley's 4th yr option and make 2010-11 into a contract year for him. There would be some risk that he would play his way out of our ability to retain him for 2011-12, but that would be good for the 2010-11 Spurs.

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the option. I don't see nearly as much potential for change if he is staring at another guaranteed 6.2 million.

Even if he walks, it's worth it if the Spurs to get another championship using his motivation to gain a new contract.

Thread Information