My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got a used laptop, hp dv9727cl, a multimedia laptop. It has 2 usb ports on the left and 2 more on the right.

when I plug in a portable usb drive, and copy, say a 2-cd set of mp3s, it takes several minutes...over 10.

When I copy something similar to the same portable drive, but with my XP desktop it is really fast, less than a minute.

was wondering if there is a way to tell if you have usb1 or usb2 ports? I know it is all just called "usb" now, but the original usb was much slower, so then they came out with a new standard sometimes called hi-speed usb, or usb2.

how do you tell what your computer has?

edit: nope, haven't tried a different usb port yet on the laptop. I figured they would all be the same, but I guess I should next time.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That model uses Serial Bus 2.0

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What virus software you use? Sometimes it scans every file leaving and coming turn it off first, and don't tell me it's Norton.

try this little snack.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.ph...cf8ca57313e728

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nope not Norton. I don't pay for anything on my computers... ha ha. Currently using avast free.

I didn't think of that, yeah avast is probably checking the files as they go along. But the thing is, my desktop xp machine also uses avast.

usbready reports that I have full support for usb. but I already knew that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have the dv8309 and its definitely usb 2.0 you have a later model # so its safe to say yours is as well.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What size processor you have in the desktop and laptop?

Some USB flash drives are faster than others they are like CD roms they have different record speeds. Here are some exzamples......

1. Corsair Flash Voyager 1100 8gb - 1.1ms, 32MB/s read, 20MB/s write, ~$135
    2. ATP ToughDrive 1 GB - 0.9ms, 33MB/s read, 15MB/s write, ~$35
    3. OCZ Rally 2gb - 3.4ms 23MB/s read, 14MB/s write, ~$37
    4. Patriot Xporter XT 2 GB - 4.5ms, 29MB/s read, 12MB/s write, ~$38

My desktop is faster also. But my desktop has fire wire. are you coping the files or moving them? sometimes if you right click a file and then go to the folder you want it to go to and hit paste you see faster results.

What I do is i move only two files at a time it works faster. Try one song at a time you may have to wait 30 seconds. But 30 seconds times 10 is faster than 10 minutes. Also I know some laptops and desktops seem to have one USB that is faster than the others. See if you can find it.

some more reviews.

Find out how we test USB flash drives.

Iomega Micro Mini
    Read the review
    Check latest prices One of the smallest USB flash drives around. Meritline High Quality/High Speed Pen Drive
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Fairly cheap per megabyte but offers few extra features. Lexar JumpDrive Secure
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Strong and sturdy, it lets you password-protect your data. Verbatim Store 'n' Go
    Read the review
    Check latest prices A decent USB flash drive with few extras. Lexar JumpDrive Traveler
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Offers useful applications for e-mail, browsing, and file synchronization.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Meritline Pen Drive
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Pen meets USB flash drive. Meritline Rist Memory Watch
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Wear your USB flash drive as an accessory. Meritline Musix 5 in 1
    Read the review
    Check latest prices It bundles a handful of functions in one device.

How we tested
    We evaluated these USB flash drives based on three criteria: size and appearance, features, and overall value. While a typical USB flash drive is small, especially compared to the size of an average external hard drive, some USB flash drives are significantly smaller than others, and some offer design flourishes, such as a keychain attachment, a permanently affixed cap, or particularly sturdy construction. Some of the drives we tested distinguished themselves with useful features such as password protection and portable versions of common applications, such as Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. Finally, we divided capacity by price to determine which drives offer the most storage bang for the buck.

Most of the drives in our roundup support the USB 2.0 standard and transfer data fairly quickly--between 30 and 60 seconds for about 128MB. The few USB 1.1 drives that we saw were significantly slower, but with a 128MB or 256MB drive, that just means an extra minute or two. Performance really begins to matter when you're transferring 1GB or more.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Sorry but I got a warning no more than 20 images per posts.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Meritline High Quality/High Speed Pen Drive
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Fairly cheap per megabyte but offers few extra features. Lexar JumpDrive Secure
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Strong and sturdy, it lets you password-protect your data. Verbatim Store 'n' Go
    Read the review
    Check latest prices A decent USB flash drive with few extras. Lexar JumpDrive Traveler
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Offers useful applications for e-mail, browsing, and file synchronization.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Iomega Mini Drive
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Iomega's Active Disk technology gives the Mini an edge. Apacer Handy Steno USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Solid encryption and compression features. Kingston DataTraveler
    Read the review
    Check latest prices Easy to operate and less expensive than other USB drives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we are talking about the larger usb portable drives... I am using a W-D 320GB drive, not a usb stick.

processor on the xp desktop (an older machine) is an AMP Athlon XP 2000 (I think)

laptop has an AMD Turion 64 x 2

Well, I figured this used laptop I bought 4 months ago had to have usb2. Was just wondering why it takes 10+ minutes to copy a 2-cd set of mp3s. I can live with it though.

edit: I am Copying, not moving. One entire mp3 album at a time. The drive belongs to a friend, am giving him some albums to listen to.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It should have fire wire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your device manager will read 'standard enhanced PCI to Usb Host controller' under the universal bus controller..

Thread Information