Weight: 175 lbs
    Birthday: 08/11/1988
    College: St. Mary's

DraftExpress
    nbadraft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love for him to be our back up PG... he is as fast as or even faster than Barbosa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone has any idea around where in the draft he'll be taken?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone has any idea around where in the draft he'll be taken?
    #30 for draftexpress, #21 for nbadraft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite his draft projection, any chance that he'll workout for the spurs? he didn't have much trouble gettn to the rim in the last fiba compe ion I saw him in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #30 for draftexpress, #21 for nbadraft.
    Bruno if it was your choice would u try to move up in the draft to try to get him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno if it was your choice would u try to move up in the draft to try to get him?
    I never seen him play.
    Now, if Spurs makes the effort to move up, I doubt it will be to draft a PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't need a PG.

IMHO, Mills will start off in a scoring backup role like Brooks or Pargo, although he really needs to work on the consistency of his jumper... how he ends up depends on his ability to improve his jumper, and whether he can play D at the top level. If he ends up as good as Brooks it will be a pleasant surprise.

He will hang around the league for a while though, he's talented enough to make a career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills will have an opportunity to impress against good talent in Treviso at the Eurocamp, it will be an ample gauge of where his stock should be at. But I'm with Bruno, if we move up it's not for a PG prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lets get the Spurs an Aussie player like Patty Mills

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's amazing. He was considering not putting his name up for the draft but he seems to have got enough word that teams are keen in the first round. He's probably not what the Sputs want, but he's extremely talented. Quick, clutch and can get to the rim nicely.

Really want him to succeed.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills keeping name in NBA draft
    By Janie McCauley

Patty Mills is prepared to test his talent in the NBA.

The Australian Olympic star and point guard from Saint Mary’s College says he will forgo his final two years of college eligibility and keep his name in the NBA draft. Next up will be hiring an agent.

Mills was among 12 players to work out in two separate sessions Monday for 21 NBA teams at the Golden State Warriors’ practice facility. He even campaigned for the Warriors to select him on draft day June 25 so he can stay in the Bay Area.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would take him over an eric maynor, and maynor is projected late lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patrick Mills, PG, St. Mary's
    Mills was the big name at the camp. After a disappointing performance on Day 1, he really turned it on at the camp all-star game Sunday evening, pouring in 30 points in 34 minutes of play.

Mills looked a lot like he did against Team USA in the Olympics, using his terrific speed to fly up and down the court -- no one at the camp could stay in front of him. An excellent penetrator, he got to the line a camp-high 13 times. His jump shot was a bit streaky and he committed too many turnovers, but there's no question Mills has the speed, athleticism and craftiness to give defenses headaches.

Most importantly, Mills showed terrific leadership qualities on the floor. His teammates and coaches loved him for his infectious energy and enthusiasm. While he sometimes got caught over-dribbling, he was a solid floor leader when his head was up.

I'm not sure exactly how much Mills moved the needle on his draft stock, but a number of NBA GMs I spoke with walked away impressed. A few even said they had him ranked ahead of college luminaries like Darren Collison and Ty Lawson.

Chad Ford - Insider

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    does he play defense though? doesnt matter if you blitz the other pg h2h stats, whats the point if the other pg can score their avg or have a career high game....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nbadraft have him going to Spurs now...

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if it means more spurs game on tele down under? yeh

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From TrueHoop's The Two Man Game.

They Smell Like the Future: Patty Mills
    by Rob Mahoney

St. Mary’s Sop re
    6′0”, 175 lbs. (Combine measurements)
    20 years old
    Point guard
    Projection: 2nd round (will likely go back to school)
    Combine interview
    Interview from workout in Golden State

Patrick/Patty/Pat Mills is the dark side of Tony Parker. He’s an incarnation of the little demon on TP’s shoulder telling him to jack up ill-advised jumpers, or to execute out-of-control drives. Essentially, he’s Tony as a rookie with delusions of jumpshooting grandeur. All the skills are present for Mills to be a wonderful scoring point guard, but without the expert hand of a Gregg Popovich and the steady support of a Tim Duncan on his side, no one can say whether Mills is fated to follow Parker on the path to s om or drift into irrelevancy.

Unless Mills gets a guarantee from a team late in the first round, odds are he’ll be back at St. Mary’s next season. That should be a positive move for Mills’ career. Patty still has plenty to prove on an individual level before he’s ready to start on the path to success in the big leagues. He needs to develop his playmaking skills, work on running the offense in the half-court game, and bring his shot attempts down (particularly the contested threes). Mills is a fine shooter and should be excellent in the pull-up game as a pro, but considering he has some of the quickest feet in college basketball, he should really be getting to the rim more. Having a shot that can space the floor is an important trait for a lead guard, but Mills needs to use his quickness to both create easy baskets for himself and draw in the defense to relieve his teammates of tight defense. That is certainly within Mills’ power, but thus far exercising the kind of restraint that could make him an excellent point guard hasn’t been Mills’ strong suit.

There’s nothing wrong with scoring from the point guard position. Tony Parker is the perfect evidence that having a scoring point can still be part of a championship formula. But if Patty Mills is going to emulate Parker’s success, he needs to understand what makes TP such an effective player. If any player that monopolizes the ball is going to reach success on a team level, they need to be either an efficient distributor, an efficient scorer, or optimally, both. Parker is able to score at a very efficient rate because he uses his speed to augment his ability to finish at the basket, and that skill forces entire defenses to take notice of his movements. The assists come as a result of his scoring. If Mills remains inclined to stick to his pull-up game and overly reliant on the long ball, he’ll be much more Aaron Brooks than Tony Parker. In the context of these playoffs, that’s not too bad. But as far as long-term prospects as a NBA point guard, that certainly qualifies as a disappointment. It’s up to Mills to put all the pieces together, because for the moment, he’s very much an incomplete player.

Pro-Level Projections:

I’ve asked Jon Nichols of Basketball-Statistics.com to use his Box Score Prediction System (BSPS) to project career numbers for Mills. The values given are career averages per 36 minutes, considering that per minute statistics at least partially eliminate variables such as abnormal playing time, lack of opportunity, etc. The projections are based on Mills’ two-year career at St. Mary’s. For comparison’s sake, I’ve dug up some other players who have averaged similar numbers over their careers (click here for an enlarged chart):

(Note: the years indicated in the chart refer to the last year of the season played. For examples, the 2004-2005 season will be marked 05.)

Those are definitely some interesting points of comparison. Mavs fans should be quite familiar with what Jason Terry brings to the table, and there are definitely similarities between Mills and Terry. I doubt that Mills can ever become quite the shooter that JET is today, but both are very quick scoring guards with sweet shooting strokes from midrange and deep, and neither is particularly adept at finishing around the rim or being a true point guard. Jamal Crawford and Joe Johnson are interesting comparisons, but I fear that Mills’ height renders them invalid. Johnson and Crawford are both built to be off-guards, while Mills is coming in at 6′0” flat. That’s going to make everything a bit more difficult as a pro, and to expect Mills to match those two (Johnson in particular) in production seems a bit misguided.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At 37, I think Mills would be worth the gamble. He could possibly be a Speedy Claxton type player ... which could be needed if Pop doesn't see Hill as a point guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imagine if Brett Brown had never been the head coach of the national team would the spurs still have taken him or would he be out of the league right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At 37, I think Mills would be worth the gamble. He could possibly be a Speedy Claxton type player ... which could be needed if Pop doesn't see Hill as a point guard.
    Damn bro good effing eye. You have the sight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty living true to form. Same player as pre-draft

Thread Information