San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yikes. they must be pretty bad, huh?
    Obama seems to think so.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weren't the people responsible for the Abu Ghraib crimes -- not to be confused with the perfectly legal enhanced interrogation techniques -- prosecuted and punished?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weren't the people responsible for the Abu Ghraib crimes -- not to be confused with the perfectly legal enhanced interrogation techniques -- prosecuted and punished?
    NO.......they went for the grunts...yeah troops!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ..pfff......everytime the local GOP goes after a Seymour Hersh investigative report they wind up holding their ankles...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    our kick-ass $600B military can't defend itself so we can't expose pictures of crimes that same military committed. "Releasing the photo's will only get people ... " prosecuted, but very probably not, certainly not any officers, CIA mgmt, head, rummy, dubya. Magik Negro is turning out to be a talented wimp.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-21-2014 at 05:38 AM.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    The fact that the republicans on this board are attempting to turn this horror into a "bash Obama" opportunity shows just how far removed they are from political discourse. Rather than be appalled at the suffering of fellow human beings, it's a leverage bar to attack the president with.

And that makes me sick.

God damn that made me laugh!!!!!!!! Like no democratic poster would ever stoop that low. Seriously tears came racing down my face on that. "And that makes me sick!" Instant classic!

I am soooooo gald I am not a republican or a democratic!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taguba apparently was talking about images other than the ones Obama is suppressing.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/05/30/taguba/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The government is holding back as many as 2,100 never-released images from Abu Ghraib and other detention centers overseas. The ACLU first sued for their release 10 years ago, and in August, District Court Judge Alvin erstein ruled that the government must publish the photos unless it can defend withholding them on an individualized basis.

Tomorrow the government will appear in court and tell Judge erstein and the ACLU what it plans to do.

The government based its suppression on a 2009 statute, enacted after the ACLU won the release of the images in the trial and appeals courts, that permits the secretary of defense to withhold an image for up to three years if the secretary certifies that its release would endanger Americans. In 2012, then Defense Secretary Leon Panetta issued a half-page certification for the entire collection, of more than 2,000 images.

"Standing alone," Judge erstein wrote in his August ruling, Mr. Panetta's certification is "insufficient." The government must prove that the secretary reviewed each photo by itself and "show why" the publication of each image risked national security.
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/human-righ...ets-are-coming

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quality bump, WH. World isn't fubar enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... but the Repugs KEEP TRYIN!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a judge has ordered the photos released. I get that you'd rather not face it, but it's news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they aren't gonna release the imagies....
    we'll see. the government will have to argue for suppressing the photos one by one with the judge.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 10-22-2014 at 11:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4th Circuit to allow lawsuit against CACI to proceed:

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions...d/151831.P.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Obomba!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama is certainly responsible for using the law to shield the USG and the military from accountability for torture, but he didn't hire CACI and he isn't running their defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a robust ruling in favor of Abu Ghraib detainees, an appellate court ruled Friday that torture is such a clear violation of the law that it is “beyond the power of even the president to declare such conduct lawful.”

The ruling from a unanimous panel of judges on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reinstates a lawsuit against a military contractor for its role in the torture of four men at the notorious prison in Iraq.

Last June, a district court ruled that a “cloud of ambiguity” surrounds the definition of torture, and that despite anti-torture laws, the decision to torture was a “political question” that could not be judged by courts.

That ruling echoed the widely discredited legal theories of the Bush administration, which argued that the war on terror gave the president the inherent authority to indefinitely detain and torture terror suspects, and conduct mass surveillance on Americans’ international communications.

But the Fourth Circuit soundly rejected that theory, saying that the United States has clear laws against torturing detainees that apply to the executive branch.

“While executive officers can declare the military reasonableness of conduct amounting to torture, it is beyond the power of even the president to declare such conduct lawful,” wrote appellate Judge Barbara Keenan, writing for the unanimous panel.
    https://theintercept.com/2016/10/21/...orture-lawful/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    contractors who tortured people on behalf of the US government continue to take it on the chin:

The CCR previously won a settlement in 2013 on behalf of 71 Ahu Ghraib detainees against L-3 Services, another military contractor at Abu Ghraib.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4th Circuit to allow lawsuit against CACI to proceed:

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions...d/151831.P.pdf

https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-cont...ranting-SJ.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CACI lawsuits proceeds again.

A federal judge has rejected the latest attempts by CACI Premier Technology, Inc. to dismiss a lawsuit brought by Iraqis who endured torture at the infamous Abu Ghraib prison during the U.S. government’s occupation of Iraq. In a lawsuit filed on their behalf by the Center for Cons utional Rights in June 2008, Suhail Al Shimari, Asa’ad Al Zuba’e, and Salah Al-Ejaili are seeking damages from the Virginia-based company, which the U.S. government hired to provide interrogation services at Abu Ghraib.
    https://ccrjustice.org/home/press-ce...smiss-historic

Thread Information