Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abu Ghraib abuse photos 'show rape'

Photographs of alleged prisoner abuse which Barack Obama is attempting to censor include images of apparent rape and sexual abuse, it has emerged.

By Duncan Gardham, Security Correspondent and Paul Cruickshank
    Last Updated: 11:52PM BST 27 May 2009

At least one picture shows an American soldier apparently raping a female prisoner while another is said to show a male translator raping a male detainee.

Further photographs are said to depict sexual assaults on prisoners with objects including a truncheon, wire and a phosphorescent tube.

Another apparently shows a female prisoner having her clothing forcibly removed to expose her breasts.

Detail of the content emerged from Major General Antonio Taguba, the former army officer who conducted an inquiry into the Abu Ghraib jail in Iraq.

Allegations of rape and abuse were included in his 2004 report but the fact there were photographs was never revealed. He has now confirmed their existence in an interview with the Daily Telegraph.

The graphic nature of some of the images may explain the US President’s attempts to block the release of an estimated 2,000 photographs from prisons in Iraq and Afghanistan despite an earlier promise to allow them to be published.

Maj Gen Taguba, who retired in January 2007, said he supported the President’s decision, adding: “These pictures show torture, abuse, rape and every indecency.

“I am not sure what purpose their release would serve other than a legal one and the consequence would be to imperil our troops, the only protectors of our foreign policy, when we most need them, and British troops who are trying to build security in Afghanistan.

“The mere description of these pictures is horrendous enough, take my word for it.”

In April, Mr Obama’s administration said the photographs would be released and it would be “pointless to appeal” against a court judgment in favour of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

But after lobbying from senior military figures, Mr Obama changed his mind saying they could put the safety of troops at risk.

Earlier this month, he said: “The most direct consequence of releasing them, I believe, would be to inflame anti-American public opinion and to put our troops in greater danger.”

It was thought the images were similar to those leaked five years ago, which showed naked and bloody prisoners being intimidated by dogs, dragged around on a leash, piled into a human pyramid and hooded and attached to wires.

Mr Obama seemed to reinforce that view by adding: “I want to emphasise that these photos that were requested in this case are not particularly sensational, especially when compared to the painful images that we remember from Abu Ghraib.”

The latest photographs relate to 400 cases of alleged abuse between 2001 and 2005 in Abu Ghraib and six other prisons. Mr Obama said the individuals involved had been “identified, and appropriate actions” taken.

Maj Gen Taguba’s internal inquiry into the abuse at Abu Ghraib, included sworn statements by 13 detainees, which, he said in the report, he found “credible based on the clarity of their statements and supporting evidence provided by other witnesses.”

Among the graphic statements, which were later released under US freedom of information laws, is that of Kasim Mehaddi Hilas in which he says: “I saw [name of a translator] ******* a kid, his age would be about 15 to 18 years. The kid was hurting very bad and they covered all the doors with sheets. Then when I heard screaming I climbed the door because on top it wasn’t covered and I saw [name] who was wearing the military uniform, putting his **** in the little kid’s ***…. and the female soldier was taking pictures.”

The translator was an American Egyptian who is now the subject of a civil court case in the US.

Three detainees, including the alleged victim, refer to the use of a phosphorescent tube in the sexual abuse and another to the use of wire, while the victim also refers to part of a policeman’s “stick” all of which were apparently photographed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those photos need to accidentally fall into a fireplace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .....nothing to see here..........fraternal pranks! (at Yale)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what happens if its released? its not like obama is going to go after the culprits up the chain of command anyway....

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus. I'm ashamed for my country

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I guess it's time for Obama to release them and go on another hand-wringing apology tour.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is an outrage! This would never happen in an American prison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarcasm?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've heard those photos are very damaging. Sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is an outrage! This would never happen in an American prison.
    You think the outrage is phony and ginned up? Raping the children and wives of prisoners in front of them is part of the normal course of incarceration, fully expectable and not surprising? Not outrageous to you?

Please explain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think the outrage is phony and ginned up? Raping the children and wives of prisoners in front of them is part of the normal course of incarceration, fully expectable and not surprising? Not outrageous to you?

Please explain.
    Quite easy. Since the rape of prisoners by other prisoners is supposedly commonplace in America, and since America is by definition a decent, civilized nation, therefore the rape of prisoners is decent and civilized. The only difference in this case is that it is the prison guards and interrogators doing the rape, but really morally there's not a whole lot of difference between actually doing the raping, and just looking the other way while the new guy in the cell block is traded for a pack of smokes.

Really the whole "decent and civilized" line of argument can be used generally. America is by definition decent and civilized, so anything Americans do is by definition decent and civilized, including, hypothetically pedophilia, copro ia, cannibalism, and medieval forms of torture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that the republicans on this board are attempting to turn this horror into a "bash Obama" opportunity shows just how far removed they are from political discourse. Rather than be appalled at the suffering of fellow human beings, it's a leverage bar to attack the president with.

And that makes me sick.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I guess it's time for Obama to release them and go on another hand-wringing apology tour.

I guess even rape is something we all need to take opposing sides on.

Go team!

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    the fact that the republicans on this board are attempting to turn this horror into a "bash obama" opportunity shows just how far removed they are from political discourse. Rather than be overjoyed at the suffering of terrorists!, it's a leverage bar to attack the president with.

And that makes me sick.
    fify

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Please explain.

Obviously I'm being sarcastic. The abuse at Abu Ghraib was horrible and those responsible have been punished. Let me ask you this: What is the motivation of those who want the photos published? What is the motivation of this article? Of drawing more attention to this issue? What is your motivation for this thread?

Not Koolaid_Man Homeland Security's Avatar
    My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    Freaking cowards. 3000 Americans got killed on 9/11. I think sticking a blunt instrument up the ass of the people who did it is hardly even payback. They deserve it. Their women deserve it. Their children deserve it. I wish we could kill all the Muslims slowly; nuking 'em is too quick and painless.

Did you know Arabs wipe their asses with their hands? So we're not putting our junk anywhere their own fingers haven't already been.

Typical liberal pussies. "Oh, we support our troops," but then whenever news of how things really are and what they really have to do to keep you safe comes out, you act all outraged. You're no different from the terrorists; you deserve the same treatment.

Each Day Offers Potential Darrin's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    THIS IS OUR COUNTRY AND IT WAS DONE IN OUR NAME!!!

(near tears while reading this).

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Freaking cowards. 3000 Americans got killed on 9/11. I think sticking a blunt instrument up the ass of the people who did it is hardly even payback. They deserve it. Their women deserve it. Their children deserve it. I wish we could kill all the Muslims slowly; nuking 'em is too quick and painless.

Did you know Arabs wipe their asses with their hands? So we're not putting our junk anywhere their own fingers haven't already been.

Typical liberal pussies. "Oh, we support our troops," but then whenever news of how things really are and what they really have to do to keep you safe comes out, you act all outraged. You're no different from the terrorists; you deserve the same treatment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let me ask you this: What is the motivation of those who want the photos published? What is the motivation of this article? Of drawing more attention to this issue? What is your motivation for this thread?
    I can't speak for anyone else's motivation, but the disclosure of crimes serves morality, truth and the historical record.

My own reason for posting it is the recent posts in this forum (as well as Obama's own statement) suggesting the photos currently being withheld show "garden variety" abuse of the sort already disclosed.

This is not the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hi-skool Security has rape fantasies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a sarcastic liberal troll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't speak for anyone else's motivation, but the disclosure of crimes serves morality, truth and the historical record.

My own reason for posting it is the recent posts in this forum (as well as Obama's own statement) suggesting the photos currently being withheld show "garden variety" abuse of the sort already disclosed.

This is not the case.

Ok, but haven't the perpetrators of the Abu Ghraib abuse already been punished? What good will publishing these photos do?

My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    THIS IS OUR COUNTRY AND IT WAS DONE IN OUR NAME!!!
    Damn straight!

My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    A good impalement would serve you well.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

Thread Information