Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    per Chad Ford's ESPN chat...just happened

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    lateral move. That team was 4-0 before Billups got traded. Not Curry's fault.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    You don't understand.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    You don't understand.

I understand any team where you're a rotation player is gonna suck regardless of the coach.

My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    I understand any team where you're a rotation player is gonna suck regardless of the coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boom goes the dynamite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dale Curry > Stephen Curry > Eddie Curry > Michael Curry

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Lateral move? They haven't hired the next coach yet. So that's a contention you have wait to make.

4-0 with Billups, so is it fair to say the Pistons would have gone 82-0 with Billups last year?

I don't completely disagree with what you're getting at, but Curry wasn't fire only because of the record. He failed to do what he was brought in to do. He was supposed to strengthen the defense. The defense got worse. He was supposed to control the players better. The players were just as uncontrollable. He was supposed to be a good leader. He wasn't. He was supposed to do a better job at communicating and getting through to his players. When he sent Rip Hamilton to the bench, he didn't even warn or even talk to Rip before he told the entire team in a team meeting. It was more than just record. That's not even getting into his failings as a strategist and in-game manager.

I wasn't happy with the hire and I'm glad he's no longer coach. One problem is that Joe Dumars plays musical chairs with coaches too much. While any head coaching job in the NBA is a job that will always have candidates, Dumars may be slimming down the selection because there are some of the better candidates that may not want to coach in Detroit with a roster that isn't very good anymore and a GM who has a quick hook. There's no shortage of candidates, but maybe there is among the better, more qualified ones.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was listening to one of the sirius xm sports station when this news broke. Talk of a possible coaching candidate:

Bill Lambeer?

Discuss

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dennis Rodman FTW

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Names being mentioned:

Doug Collins
    Tom Thibodeau
    Avery Johnson
    Jeff Van Gundy

Names "fans" have mentioned:

Bill Laimbeer
    Rudy Tomjanovich
    Sam Mitc

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Jamstone I'm not even going to argue with you about this. I hate when people who watched the Suns twice all year act like they know more about what went on than I do, so I'm not about to argue about something you know a lot more about.

All I'm saying is, Denver traded Iverson for Billups, and their defense went from crappy to good. Detroit traded Billups for Iverson, and their defense went from good to crappy. I have no idea how much blame you can put on Curry there. The main reason I'm giving Curry the benefit of the doubt has nothing to do with Curry personally, it's merely my tendency to side with the coach when stuff like this happens.

The NBA is a player's league IMO. My view is the players need to discipline themselves and they have to want to play defense. George Karl got too much blame for when Denver didn't play defense in 2008, and got too much credit when Denver played defense last year. Doc Rivers got too much blame for Boston's 2007 season, and got too much credit for Boston's 2008 season. That's just how I always look at situations like this.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    There is a God! I believe! I believe!

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I think the Piston's biggest problem was the crazy, messed up roster Joe gave us after the Billups trade.

That being said, I still don't believe we would of made the ECF with Billups+Curry. The guy had no idea what he was doing when it came to rotation and X's and O's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Names being mentioned:

Doug Collins
    Tom Thibodeau
    Avery Johnson
    Jeff Van Gundy

Bill Laimbeer
    Rudy Tomjanovich
    Sam Mitc
    All those names are HUGE

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    There is a God! I believe! I believe!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Names being mentioned:

Doug Collins
    Tom Thibodeau
    Avery Johnson
    Jeff Van Gundy

Bill Laimbeer
    Rudy Tomjanovich
    Sam Mitc
    I heard Laimbeer's name mentioned as a possible candidate by sports talk show hosts as well. I'm not sure Pistons may look in that direction.

Who do you think would be the best candidate for this job?

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I like Avery and JVG.. maybe even Sam Mitc , but I honestly don't know enough about him. I don't like Laimbeer taking a head coach job straight out of the WNBA.. let him be an assistant for a bit. I think he has potential, but I don't think it's the right time for him just yet.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Jamstone I'm not even going to argue with you about this. I hate when people who watched the Suns twice all year act like they know more about what went on than I do, so I'm not about to argue about something you know a lot more about.

All I'm saying is, Denver traded Iverson for Billups, and their defense went from crappy to good. Detroit traded Billups for Iverson, and their defense went from good to crappy. I have no idea how much blame you can put on Curry there. The main reason I'm giving Curry the benefit of the doubt has nothing to do with Curry personally, it's merely my tendency to side with the coach when stuff like this happens.

The NBA is a player's league IMO. My view is the players need to discipline themselves and they have to want to play defense. George Karl got too much blame for when Denver didn't play defense in 2008, and got too much credit when Denver played defense last year. Doc Rivers got too much blame for Boston's 2007 season, and got too much credit for Boston's 2008 season. That's just how I always look at situations like this.
    Fair enough. I know what you were trying to get at. I was just trying to say that it was more than just the record. Curry wasn't put in a great position to succeed. The problem is that he didn't succeed at things that he could have either.

I am 100% behind the notion that it's still a player's league. Coaching is overrated most of the time, except when it's bad coaching. Especially when a coach has lost his players' respect and cannot get through to them, it's a next to impossible situation for the team to succeed.

I never liked the hire in the first place. Didn't like his coaching all throughout the season. And, I'm happy he's no longer the head coach. I don't blame it all on Curry, but I completely agree with the decision to let him go.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Fair enough. I know what you were trying to get at. I was just trying to say that it was more than just the record. Curry wasn't put in a great position to succeed. The problem is that he didn't succeed at things that he could have either.

I am 100% behind the notion that it's still a player's league. Coaching is overrated most of the time, except when it's bad coaching. Especially when a coach has lost his players' respect and cannot get through to them, it's a next to impossible situation for the team to succeed.

I never liked the hire in the first place. Didn't like his coaching all throughout the season. And, I'm happy he's no longer the head coach. I don't blame it all on Curry, but I completely agree with the decision to let him go.

Yeah the whole "more than just the record" thing is something I know nothing about.

Being happy when a coach gets fired is one thing, heck I was happy when Porter got fired, I was just mad that people thought the team had no problems other than Porter and that Porter was the reason we weren't watching the 2nd coming of the 1986 Celtcis.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I was listening to one of the sirius xm sports station when this news broke. Talk of a possible coaching candidate:

Bill Lambeer?

Discuss
    Well, the Freep seems to like the idea...

Laimbeer's move toward the NBA well-received

OTOH, the Freep doesn't like the idea at all...

Bill Laimbeer has no shot at coaching in the NBA

(okay, it's two different writers' opinions...printed on the same day)

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The roster was screwed and there was a lot of at ude, but the man had no offensive or defensive plan. At all. His out of time out plays would be " uh...uh...Dice make a screen", his rotations were fishy and constantly put on the floor a set of guys that didn't work well together. Instead of running plays or trying to implement a system he held on to the belief that guys would gel through the season and a style would develop on its own. He failed to do every single thing he said would do, didn't held players accountable, didn't put emphasis on defense and he wasn't a player's coach, instead he was master of the universe, except he knew nothing about that universe.

He did get a raw deal on his first season, no question about that, and I do feel bad because he didnt get what he signed up for. But when you are supposed to be a defensive minded coach and have guys like Tay and Sheed lost on defense, then you just have a very bad problem.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Avery and JVG.. maybe even Sam Mitc , but I honestly don't know enough about him. I don't like Laimbeer taking a head coach job straight out of the WNBA.. let him be an assistant for a bit. I think he has potential, but I don't think it's the right time for him just yet.

I'm listening to tirico this morning and he mentioned that Dumars likes either Doug Collins or Avery Johnson. Not bad choices there. Should be interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jamstone, I defer to you on this and all things Pistons. Consider the following:

Shouldn't Dumars bear the brunt of this most recent coaching fiasco? After all, it was he that thought Curry had sufficient enough grooming to assume the job in the first place. And the players? Were they ever happy with any coach they've had there? Carlisle? Brown? Curry? Didn't Collins take a spin through Detroit too? I know Brown was a flake, so I can't blame Dumars for that, even though the players seemingly loved the guy.

Back to Dumars, it was also his grand idea to create the necessary salary cap flexibility by dumping Billiups for Iverson. How'd that turnout? Iverson seemingly caused that entire team to implode. They began to mimic his rather selfish brand of ball. Dumars had to know the affect that acquisition would have had on the team, but he made the trade anyway. What did he get? An large chunk of an available salary slot, a bunch of money to spend in a very weak free agent year.

It was also Dumars who elected to pass on Carmelo Anthony for Darko back in 2003. He also let Okur walk in free agency a few years back.

In truth, I have a lot of respect for Dumars as a former player and executive. I guess I'm saying what some others have said earlier, Dumars has certainly made some very questionable decisions and it's always easy to blame the coach.

Your thoughts?

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Coaching is overrated most of the time, except when it's bad coaching.

Eh IMO I think a coach's negative impact is overblown just as often as a coach's positive impact. There are a few coaches that can come in and noticeably improve a team (Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Larry Brown etc.) immediately without any significant roster changes, but unless you are firing a coach and bringing in one of those coaches, the team isn't going to get a whole lot better with that move alone.

Thread Information