My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a deal that gets a lot of attention, but he is a great guy and a nice asset off the bench for Cleveland.

The Cavaliers are on the verge of making their first free agent signing of the summer. According to a league source, the team has agreed to the structure of a contract with veteran guard Anthony Parker. The deal is not finalized, but is expected to be completed in the next several days.

Parker, 34, played for the Toronto Raptors for the last three seasons after starring in Europe. The 6-6 wing averaged 10.7 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 2008-09, while shooting 43 percent from the floor and 39 percent from 3-point range.

He fills a major need the Cavs have for a tall wing player and was one of the team's top off-season targets at the position. They have been in talks with him since the first day of free agency. They talked to the Raptors about a sign-and-trade, but when Toronto decided to sign Hedo Turkoglu the Cavs moved on to deal with Parker directly.

Parker is an athletic player who is effective at creating his own shot, which he did often in Europe when he became the Euroleague Most Valuable Player, and as a spot-up shooter. He has also been an effective defensive player guarding tall wing players, which is what the Cavs most need.

Over the last three seasons he's started 226 of 235 games but may come off the bench for the Cavs behind Delonte West.

He is the brother of former University of Tennessee and current Los Angeles Sparks' star Candace Parker.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index....lose_to_c.html

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    thats cause his sister is better than him. even now when she is fat post squeezing out the kid

DEEP in the Q
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Just expect solid D and to hti the 3 ball at a high clip. Do what Pavs and Wally couldn't.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just expect solid D and to hti the 3 ball at a high clip. Do what Pavs and Wally couldn't.
    wally had a tough year huh. thats too bad. i always thought he would be a nice player to have on a team with lebron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very solid signing. I wonder how much he's getting? 11/3yrs?

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams
    Parker
    James
    Varejao
    Oneal

This looks like the best in the East right now.....

DEEP in the Q
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    wally had a tough year huh. thats too bad. i always thought he would be a nice player to have on a team with lebron.
    He doesn't have a spot seeing as though LB plays SF. Wally got time as a small ball PF. He's done.

Great Length
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Cavs should have waited for this whole Odom thing to play out. For all we know Odom could pull an Ariza and get pissed at the Lakers for offering far less then what he thinks he's worth and then he very likely could sign a one year deal at the MLE to play with a contender to with the Lakers and then try FA again next year. Cleveland could have gotten exactly what they needed but now they have no chance.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams
    Parker
    James
    Varejao
    Oneal

This looks like the best in the East right now.....
    I beg to differ:

Rondo
    Allen
    Pierce
    Garnett
    Wallace

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I beg to differ:

Rondo
    Allen
    Pierce
    Garnett
    Wallace
    Rasheed wont be starting. Perkins at the 5 gives them more balance, plus hes probably better than Sheed at this point anyway. But either way, your point is still valid - the Celts look good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rasheed wont be starting. Perkins at the 5 gives them more balance, plus hes probably better than Sheed at this point anyway. But either way, your point is still valid - the Celts look good.
    Yeah, I knew that Perkins would be starting... but they could still throw that line-up out there during crunch time if need be.

Don't get me wrong, Cavs look good as well, but I don't think they are better then the Celts right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well done. Anthony Parker may be what the Cavs need.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    good signing

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good size and ability to shoot the 3. That will give their bunch a bit extra too with Delonte and Big Z.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Solid acquisition. Still need a decent big man with some mobility, quickness, and/or athleticism.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Where did he play last season?

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Solid acquisition. Still need a decent big man with some mobility, quickness, and/or athleticism.
    JJ Hickson

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Where did he play last season?
    Toronto. Had a relatively ty year after two solid years of 47% shooting (44% 3PT). Plays decent D and can shoot the three, though.

I'd start him over Delonte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto. Had a relatively ty year after two solid years of 47% shooting (44% 3PT). Plays decent D and can shoot the three, though.

I'd start him over Delonte.
    West's being essentially a combo guard really benefits the team more if he were coming off the bench.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    They got James. The remainder is just a mish/mash & a f'in mess.

And that coach, if he were a white man they'd a hung him up by his Buster Browns years ago.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Lol riiiiight. I forgot. The second coming of Karl Malone/Charles Barkley/Tim Duncan/Kevin Garnett combined.

They got James. The remainder is just a mish/mash & a f'in mess.
    Even if you believe that, that doesn't mean Anthony Parker isn't a "solid acquisition," which is all I said. If they get a mobile PF, they can match up well against any team. Whether they win or not is something to be decided on the court. But, they wouldn't have huge mismatch problems if they found a decent mobile/athletic PF to add to the roster.

At any rate, the same could have been said about the 2006-07 Lakers. A couple changes here and there and a few of the younger players developing, then one major trade, and they became an elite team again. Cavs still have some work to do, but Anthony Parker is a "solid acquisition" because he helps match-up defensively against teams with big 2-guards and he allows them to slide him down to the small forward position so LeBron can play the 4 in a small ball line-up. Anthony Parker isn't a savior. But, it was a good move.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    cavs signed the wrong parker..

candice is still in la.

Thread Information