My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Found this story via Bill Simmons's Twitter, @sportsguy33 ( http://twitter.com/sportsguy33 )

Excerpt:

I bring this up because the Grizzlies recently decided to let go of their scouts. Yes, all of their scouts.

"I prefer a smaller group," said Chris Wallace, the Grizzlies GM.

You have to love Wallace, don't you? He could have put a positive spin on the yellow fever epidemic.

"I prefer a smaller city," he'd have said.

Last season, the Grizzlies had five full-time amateur scouts. David Booth, Ryan West, Ed Manning, Ray Jones and Marin Sedlacek.

This season, the Grizzlies will have no full-time college scouts. Booth, West, Manning, Jones and Selacek are all gone.

A couple of them fled the building; a few more were let go. The Grizzlies will use a part-time scout to help them keep on eye on players in Europe. They do not plan to make any hires.

"We had a restructuring," said Wallace, and I guess you could call it that.

The Grizzlies restructured their scouting department the way the city restructured the old Baptist Hospital. With well-placed dynamite.

Full story here:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...y/?partner=RSS

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They'd go ahead and just fold up the franchise, but the Lakers would be without a AAA affiliate if they did.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF? They're willing to pay Zach Randolph's worthless ass $16 million but they can't pay scouts who are infinitely more important to the team, considering they'll be in the lottery for next few years? Stern should really step in and have that team downsized after this season.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    WTF? They're willing to pay Zach Randolph's worthless ass $16 million but they can't pay scouts who are infinitely more important to the team, considering they'll be in the lottery for next few years? Stern should really step in and have that team downsized after this season.
    Exactly what i was thinking

GRANT HILL!
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    well

idk. their scout got them thabeet which really is a common sense tbh.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I don't think scouting is really that important to just one NBA team. They can read the other teams scout reports,the thousands of magazines,webstes that have scout reports, there are only 2 rounds in the draft. They can wing it just fine.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should just scout around message boards, fans sound like they know what's best for their team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, because the Grizzlies certainly shouldn't be worried about getting better.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol geez.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grizzlies need to do something... they are not winning games even with promising players... they make stupid moves and the owner is a cheap bas . In order to lure good veterans to Memphis they have to spend money, unless they decide to do so, the franchise is doomed like the Clippers.

Don't get me wrong, there are many franchises which prefer to pay little money but a majority of them manages to stay compe ive by trading for and signing players who really fit (e.g. Nets and even the Bobcats). Memphis is desperate and can't find a way to attract good players - will be interesting to see what Mayo and Gay will do when their contract expires.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Memphis is desperate and can't find a way to attract good players - will be interesting to see what Mayo and Gay will do when their contract expires.
    They'll be traded to the Lakers for a bag of dog . Naturally.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I can't believe the NBA moved them from Vancouver to this hole.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Do the Grizzlies want Gay?

DEEP in the Q
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    They'll be traded to the Lakers for a bag of dog . Naturally.
    Probs Bynum for Mayo and Gay. Grizz FO comes out and say we've made money out of this and the future looks great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, and I legitimately thought this thread le was a joke. Maybe they're hoping for a bailout to "stimulate the fans"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the Grizzlies want Gay?
    Don't think so. They will probably trade him or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's crazy that any team would have zero scouts, especially such a horrible team. I can understand downsizing, but I would have at least kept two and told them they'd better work their asses off or we'll just go with no scouts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers will just tell them who to draft. Payng two scouting departments would be redundant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is pathetic, just like when they traded pau gasol and their help in the Marion trade

Thread Information