Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am the man with no name Hornets1's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    AI advisers should be fired. If he was going to come out West, it should have been with a contender. He could have gone to the Hornets for the vet min, Dallas, the Lakers, , even Boston needs a backup PG. Memphis had no shot at making the playoffs, but now AI will get all the credit for that.
    NO! NO! NO! I don't want Iverson anywhere near us! Paul would have had to start stealing the ball away from Iverson

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

will look like this. only difference: the player with the ball will wear the same uniform like the 3 others.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iverson: Goal is to win in signing with Memphis

Allen Iverson wants to prove he’s not finished yet. The Memphis Grizzlies want to rev up the rebuilding process with a young roster.

That is why the 34-year-old Iverson signed a one-year contract Thursday with a team that hasn’t reached the playoffs since 2006 and has never won a postseason game. The Grizzlies is coming off a 24-58 season that tied for fifth-worst in the NBA.

“This year for me is so personal,” Iverson said.

“It’s basically going to be my rookie season again. It hurts, but I turn the TV on, I read the paper, I listen to some of the things people say about me having the season that I had last year and me losing a step, things like that. They’re trying to put me in a rocking chair already.”

The Grizzlies announced they had signed the former NBA MVP and 10-time All Star on Thursday morning minutes before Iverson was introduced at a news conference. The 13-year veteran was welcomed with a standing ovation in an atmosphere that felt like a pep rally with fans welcomed to the lobby of the FedExForum.

General manager Chris Wallace called Iverson one of the NBA’s all-time great guards and a great day for the team, the Grizzlies’ loyal fans and the city of Memphis. The team had been courting Iverson since July, a process that sped up with a meeting Monday night in Atlanta over dinner with the guard, Wallace, team owner Michael Heisley and coach Lionel Hollins.

“This guy has many years of basketball left in him … and he is eager. He expressed it to us to get going with the task of helping our team reach a whole other level of success,” Wallace said.

Iverson reportedly received an incentive-laden deal with a base salary of about $3.5 million. He immediately becomes the biggest name ever stretched across the back of a Grizzlies jersey. The franchise has only one All-Star in its history—Pau Gasol in 2006.

The 6-foot free agent has been rookie of the year, the 2001 league MVP and a four-time scoring champ with a career average of 27.1. Philadelphia made him the top pick in the 1996 NBA draft, and he spent the bulk of his career with the 76ers before being traded to Denver in 2006 and then to Detroit last November.

Whether Iverson’s presence translates into more wins for the Grizzlies is unknown, but the excitement at Thursday’s introduction could be an indication his impact could have the box office. The team store already had jerseys with Iverson’s No. 3 hanging on the wall ready for sale.

Iverson ranks second among active players in career scoring behind Shaquille O’Neal and is 16th all-time with 23,983 points in 886 games with Philadelphia, Denver and Detroit.

Iverson will open the season against his most recent team. The Pistons visit Memphis on Oct. 28.

The Grizzlies’ courting of Iverson lasted much of the summer. Other teams including New York, Charlotte, Miami and the Clippers inquired about Iverson, but Memphis appeared to be the only one to make a solid offer to the veteran guard.

Questions still remain about where Iverson fits in the Grizzlies’ plans.

O.J. Mayo, who finished second to Chicago’s Derrick Rose in Rookie of the Year voting last season, starts at shooting guard. Memphis seems committed to Mike Conley at the point. There’s little doubt Iverson’s scoring talents should help a team which averaged only 93.9 points a game last season, next to last in the league.

Grizzlies officials spent the summer talking of their need for scoring help off the bench.

But Iverson said in April he would rather retire than come off the bench. He missed 16 games last season with a bad back. When he returned, he was coming off the bench, an arrangement Iverson did not like. He complained about minutes and how he couldn’t be effective in that role.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Haha, if he didn't have such a big ego last season, perhaps he would've been on a better team with a better contract. I'm sure the Iverson-Zbo one two punch will go great

Thread Information