Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    , Iverson and Randolph together at last.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Re-sign Jason Williams and you got a season slogan:

"White Chocolate and the Black Plague: Get ready for sweet destruction"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot understand a ing thing Memphis has done since Chris Wallace took over. Gasol for nothing. Lowry for nothing. Then a trade for cancer Randolph. Now signing Iverson when you already have Mayo and blew a #4 pick on Conley. Chris Wallace has to be the stupidest to ever run a team in NBA history. The NBA hasn't seen inep ude on this scale since the early 80s Cavs.
    Conley was projected to be a good player in the NBA and one of the best PG's in his draft. It's not that he was overhyped before declaring for the draft like the likes of Darko, Beasley or Brown. No one expected him to struggle so badly.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn it, now i gotta think twice about drafting gay, OJ or zach.

speaking of Zack, i wonder if the grizzles will have the worse offense in the league with AI and Zach chucking all day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    55 wins book it

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    no way

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conley was projected to be a good player in the NBA and one of the best PG's in his draft. It's not that he was overhyped before declaring for the draft like the likes of Darko, Beasley or Brown. No one expected him to struggle so badly.
    I had Conley pegged as a bust from the beginning, so his suckage is exactly what I expected. You'd think they would have learned not to take a PG who came out of nowhere to have one good season after the Antonio Daniels pick blew up in their faces.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He could have gone to a contender and played 6th man. Instead he felt he was too good to come off the bench, and went to a scrub team. Selfish Dumbass

Stupidest player on the planet, except for maybe Rubio

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

That video makes me bust out every time I see it... man.. never gets old

I am the man with no name Hornets1's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    As much as an Iverson fan as I used to be, for a GM to taint young talent like Arthur,Gay, Mayo, Gasol, Thabeet, and Conley w/ cancers like Randolph and Iverson is beyond me.........

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I had Conley pegged as a bust from the beginning, so his suckage is exactly what I expected. You'd think they would have learned not to take a PG who came out of nowhere to have one good season after the Antonio Daniels pick blew up in their faces.
    Pretty far fetched comparison. Conley was extremely well regarded even out of high school. Had there been no high school rule, he was projected to be a lottery pick right out of high school. Conley only had one year in college so he didn't come out of nowhere to have one good season. And, he still went to an above average program at USC.

Antonio Daniels went to Bowling Green (I believe) before most people even knew what the MAC was. And, he went (again, I believe) to college for three years. There's quite a difference.

Plus, if you look at that 2007 draft, after Oden, Durant, and Horford, it was pretty much a crap shoot who was the next best talent. It's not like the Grizz took Darko ahead of Melo, Bosh, and Wade. They took Conley ahead of Jeff Green, Yi Jianlian, Corey Brewer, and Brandan Wright. The next best point guard was Acie Law and he sucks as a pro too. So, it's not like there was much to offer from alternative draft prospects.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iverson signing sets Memphis back
    Chris Mannix
    SI.com

If you are Allen Iverson, Wednesday is a day for celebration. After the worst season of your professional career, a season in which your presence was viewed as the cause of the demise of one franchise (Detroit) and your absence was touted as one of the reasons for the success of another (Denver), you still managed to squeeze $3.5 million and a chance for redemption out of the Memphis Grizzlies.

If you are a Grizzlies fan, well, you are looking for the nearest blunt instrument to cave your own head in.

Iverson's signing with Memphis is one of the most jaw-dropping moves in recent NBA history. Not because Iverson isn't still a viable player; even in last season's debacle in Detroit, Iverson still managed to score 17.5 points per game. But because Iverson is the last -- repeat, the last -- thing the rebuilding Grizzlies need right now.

Consider: From a distance, Memphis is a franchise that appears to be in dire straights. The Grizzlies haven't won more than 24 games in each of the last three seasons and they have rotated five coaches -- Mike Fratello, Tony Barone, Marc Iavaroni, Johnny Davis and Lionel Hollins -- in and out during that period. They haven't won a playoff game in the team's 14-year history, a drought that figures to extend well into the next decade.

But look closer and you will see that the Grizzlies are several stages into what has been a comprehensive rebuilding process. They have dynamic young talent at the wing positions in O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay. They have a highly touted prospect at point guard in Mike Conley. They have a tough, physical center in Marc Gasol and a shot-blocking menace-in-the-making in rookie Hasheem Thabeet. The foundation of a championship team? Not yet, but certainly one headed in the right direction.

Not anymore. By adding Iverson (as well as Zach Randolph, who was acquired from the Clippers last month) to the mix, the Grizzlies are risking the long-term health of the franchise for a few short-term rewards. Memphis undoubtedly will win a few more games. It might even crack the 30-win barrier. But all that really means is the Grizzlies will be out of the playoff race by January instead of December and they may jump from the team with the 29th-worst attendance (12,745 per game last season) to one with the 25th-worst.

And at what cost? Iverson is little more than a well-paid mercenary using Memphis to try to revive his stalled career. He will certainly cut into Mayo's and Conley's minutes and likely will take time away from the slimmed-down Marcus Williams, who showed in the Las Vegas summer league that he could be a capable backup point guard.

Iverson will demand shots that should be going to Gay and he will be given key fourth-quarter scoring opportunities that should be going to anyone else. The same things can be said for Randolph, who will eat into Gasol's and Thabeet's minutes and will frustrate his teammates with his unwillingness to pass the ball out of the post and his propensity to launch shots from anywhere inside the half-court line. One of the most frequently repeated lines by NBA coaches is that they hope Randolph makes his first three-pointer -- because that guarantees he will take five more.

It will be interesting to see how Hollins handles the Grizzlies' lineup. In a perfect world, Randolph would slide into the starting power forward spot (with Thabeet coming off the bench) and Iverson would become a Vinny Johnson-like sixth man. Mayo and Conley would continue to start and Gay, one of the top performers at the USA Basketball camp in July, would have the offensive freedom he needs to grow as a scorer. They would run an inside-out offense and get the kind of ball movement that leads to open shots.

But what seems more likely is that Iverson eventually forces his way into the starting lineup and Iverson, Mayo and Randolph battle each other for shot attempts (contested or otherwise) while Gay is left to scrap for leftovers.

Multiple sources say the interest in Iverson came from the owner's box. That makes sense. Because this is not a basketball move, it's a financial one. As basketball moves go, this one is the worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird move for the Grizzlies..Mayo, Iverson, Randolph and Gay on one team...WOW.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    [[[Iverson signing sets Memphis back
    Chris Mannix
    SI.com]]]

Looks like the mandated ceasefire out of NY & Stern concerning Iverson is now kaput. Open season!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"how the can I make my teammates better by practicing"

What a Joke!!!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I cannot wait to watch this team.

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    He could have gone to a contender and played 6th man. Instead he felt he was too good to come off the bench, and went to a scrub team. Selfish Dumbass

Stupidest player on the planet, except for maybe Rubio
    Except that I'm pretty sure Memphis is intending to put Iverson on the bench rather than start him. It'll be the Detroit drama all over again. Except on the worst team in the league.

It's a nonsense move for both Memphis and Iverson.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty far fetched comparison. Conley was extremely well regarded even out of high school. Had there been no high school rule, he was projected to be a lottery pick right out of high school. Conley only had one year in college so he didn't come out of nowhere to have one good season. And, he still went to an above average program at USC.
    Are you thinking of OJ Mayo? Mayo was the huge highschool star who went to USC. I had never heard of Conley until Ohio State.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Iverson Worth The Risk For Grizzlies
    SportingNews

? Fair question, because many around the league are asking the same thing. As one East general manager told me, "You have a kid like Mike Conley. You have a kid like O.J. Mayo. You have Rudy Gay. You have Hasheem Thabeet, the No. 2 pick in the draft. How is a guy like Iverson going to help them?"

Considering the events of last season, when Iverson was traded to Detroit for Chauncey Billups and proceeded to shred the Pistons' chemistry, skepticism about Memphis' signing of Iverson to a one-year, $3.5 million deal is rampant. But it shouldn't be. Because, in the end, consider what the Grizzlies just did—they signed the 16th-leading scorer in NBA history to a contract that ends in seven months and costs them less than half what they're due to pay Marko Jaric.

There are four ways this thing can play out for the Grizzlies, and even the worst-case scenario is not all that bad.

1. Everything could be perfect. Iverson could come in, average 20 points, be a leader and model teammate, and lift the Grizzlies into the Western Conference playoffs. He could become so popular in Memphis—which is in need of some sporting heroism in the wake of the University of Memphis' hoops collapse—that he signs with the team next summer. This is, admittedly, a remote possibility.

2. Iverson could have a productive season in Memphis. Chances are, the lack of interest in Iverson this summer has been humbling. The at ude and work-ethic problems that have attached themselves to Iverson's reputation, and which were amplified by the Detroit disaster, remain his biggest problem.

But you have to think that if Iverson is serious about wanting to compete for a championship, he understands that he needs to put out a good effort on the floor and an even better effort in practice and in the locker room. If that means he comes off the bench and plays teacher's pet to coach Lionel Hollins, then he comes off the bench and plays teacher's pet. It's the only way a contender will be interested in him next summer, and he must realize that.

In the meantime, though, the Grizzlies will get one of the greatest scorers in league history for a year, and hopefully sell tickets to boot.

3. Iverson could have a productive half-season in Memphis. This is the really intriguing possibility for the Grizzlies. Memphis will be 53 games into its 2009-10 schedule when the trading deadline rolls around. Iverson is not really part of the team's future, so if he goes through the first three-plus months playing well and not causing problems, the Grizzlies might have the chance to offer him up to a contending team in need for a draft pick or a young player. It's a something-for-nothing proposal.

4. The whole thing could be a disaster. If it is a disaster, you know what? The Grizzlies can simply cut Iverson. They'll be out $3.5 million, but weighing that potential loss against the potential benefits of the deal, it's worth the risk.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Are you thinking of OJ Mayo? Mayo was the huge highschool star who went to USC. I had never heard of Conley until Ohio State.
    My bad. I don't know why I put Mayo's profile onto Conley.

I actually knew that. I'm just an idiot.

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    so Mayo is going to the Lakers for Sasha and Luke?

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    [[[Iverson Worth The Risk For Grizzlies
    SportingNews]]]

Back to the marching orders from NY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a point there. Still, they weren't able to sign a decent PG via FA so they had to go with a PG via the draft, and Conley was the brightest prospect. Law and Crittenton were not worth taking with the 4th pick (despite they both suck). I wish they had taken Brandan Wright instead.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    so Mayo is going to the Lakers for Sasha and Luke?
    Yes, but the deal also includes draft rights to his brother A.J. Mayo.

Thread Information