Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ostertag reportedly attempting comeback
    By Jody Genessy
    Deseret News

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Some eyebrows were lifted when a gracious Jerry Sloan mentioned Greg Ostertag among Karl Malone, John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek, Artis Gilmore, Adrian Dantley and other players who've played significant roles in his Hall-of-Fame coaching career.

Yes, you heard him right.

And that's not the only thing that might surprise basketball fans about the Big OO.

The former Jazz center is attempting an NBA comeback.

He even recently worked out for a team.

Last week, Ostertag participated in a scrimmage with the Portland Trail Blazers, who are reportedly auditioning big men, including perhaps Jarron Collins, the Oregonian reported.

Ostertag had some rocky moments in his relationship with Sloan, which is why the Hall-of-Fame shout-out was unexpected.

Now 36 years old, Ostertag hasn't played in the NBA for more than three years, which is why his reported workout was eye-opening.

The 7-foot-2 center played 10 of his 11 seasons of his NBA career in Utah, including the first nine and his last one in 2005-06 after a one-year stint in Sacramento. The Kansas product gave Utah a solid interior presence at the beginning of his career — and was a contributor on the team during their back-to-back NBA Finals appearances.

But the fun-loving Ostertag is almost more infamous for some quirks, including his Fred Flintstone tattoo, a happy-go-lucky-if-not-goofy personality, getting knocked down by Shaquille O'Neal, being called a not-so-nice name in public by Karl Malone after not coming to camp in shape one year, and randomly removing his fake front teeth.

But he did average 4.6 points, 1.7 blocks and 5.5 rebounds in his career.

Ostertag, who lives in Phoenix, was last seen publicly in Utah at the funeral ceremony for Larry H. Miller in February. A friend of Miller's youngest son, Bryan, Ostertag said at the time, "I had to be here. I played for him for 10 years. I knew him well enough, and he yelled at me enough ... so it was important to me."

My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    People can say what they want about Tag, but our interior defense hasn't been the same since he left. Seeing just how bad Okur and Boozer's interior and help defense is makes me appreciate Ostertag even more.

My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    People can say what they want about Tag, but our interior defense hasn't been the same since he left. Seeing just how bad Okur and Boozer's interior and help defense is makes me appreciate Ostertag even more.
    I have been having to represent the team for your absentee ass!! Holdin down the fort bro. Holdin down the fort!

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Holdin down the fort!
    ...& playin' stinky finger with the Cubby.

My Team
    Utah Jazz
    Post Count
    ...& playin' stinky finger with the Cubby.
    Your presence is greatly appreciated burn.. now can you burn in please?? thank you

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Your presence is greatly appreciated burn.. now can you burn in please?? thank you
    You requested "no mas" on the other thread and I'll honor that request. Just make sure, son, you don't come knockin' again. Because next time, they'll be nooooooooo turnin' back.

Now,

Let us proceed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ostertag FTW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey if mydyess doesn't work out.....

Tankin'
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You have quite possibly the gayest sig in the history of gayness.

Where Everything Happens The Franchise's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    As ty as most big men seem to be these days, he may be of some use to someone.

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though the roster is at 16, one more than the maximum that can be carried in the regular season, the Mavericks have another player who has his sights on joining them.

Duncanville native and former Utah Jazz center Greg Ostertag said Monday that he would love to make an NBA comeback after three seasons in retirement and Dallas is his dream destination.

The Mavericks' obvious hole on the roster? A backup center to Erick Dampier.

"Everyone knows how bad I've wanted to play in Dallas," Ostertag said. "I grew up there. They were my favorite team growing up. I'd play there in a second. ... That would be the ultimate way to end my career."

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said the 7-2, 36-year-old Ostertag is on the Mavericks' radar, but with the roster situation, some things would have to happen for them to make a serious run at him. The team is always open to trading and could pursue some two-for-one or even three-for-one deals that might open a roster spot.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...17c0ab8f0.html

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I can't help but think of washers and dryers when I hear that name.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'd rather bring back Kevin Willis than in Ostertag. This better be a in joke

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ostertag was a decent center.

He was just overpaid.

Ala Rasho Nesterovic from 2003 through 2006 with the Spurs.

Rasho wasn' ta bad center, just overpaid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i rather have fat country

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Sadly for me as a Piston fan, Ostertag is better than the Piston's starting center next season.

Double facepalm...
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Okur can't help because Booz won't cover his man... Replace Booz with a half-decent defender, like, oh, say, Millsap, and Okur is more than adequate, and as good or better than 'Tag was...

Thread Information