Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    The SEC teams have lost a combined 12 games out of conference, and its only week 4.

Discuss.....................

Hunker down you hairy Dawgs! romad_20's Avatar
    My Team
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Post Count
    The SEC teams have lost a combined 12 games out of conference, and its only week 4.

Discuss.....................
    You sure those numbers are correct? I see UGA losing in week 1 against Ok St and Tenn in week 2 to UCLA. Where are the other 10 losses?

None the less, I do think that everyone, not just the SEC, is underachieving a little so far. A lot of big teams have gone down and I think we're going to have a scramble like 2007 to the BCS championship unless Texas and Bama run it out. Bama is the best looking team I've seen all year.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    You sure those numbers are correct? I see UGA losing in week 1 against Ok St and Tenn in week 2 to UCLA. Where are the other 10 losses?

Maybe I was................. Sorry about that. It appears the big 3 conferences are not as powerful as they once were. At least it appears that way. A lot of close games to mid-major opponents and to lesser BCS conferences. *shrugs*

I havent seen Bamas whole game, but when they are on Florida looks awesome.

My Team
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Post Count
    Maybe I was................. Sorry about that. It appears the big 3 conferences are not as powerful as they once were. At least it appears that way. A lot of close games to mid-major opponents and to lesser BCS conferences. *shrugs*

I havent seen Bamas whole game, but when they are on Florida looks awesome.

The days of constant blowouts are over. Wins are wins and I'm sure Cal, Penn St., USC, OU, Fla St, Miami, Va Tech and all those other "top" teams would take them, 1 point or 30 points.

Bama defense looks like it would eat Florida alive at this point. They are ball-hawking, nasty defenders. I would kill for that kind of D to be back at UGA.

My Team
    Michigan Wolverines
    Post Count
    The way the SEC has been -ridden for the last few years, it was bound to happen that they eventually get overrated. But, even if they're overrated, they're still the best conference in college football. But, sure, they might be overrated this year.

My Team
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Post Count
    Idiot thread man you got to get your numbers right before you flex the fingers.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Idiot thread man you got to get your numbers right before you flex the fingers.

I admitted I looked at it wrong. But still, does the SEC look as strong to you? Im not dogging the conference, I know its good. Just wondering. They may be as strong as ever.

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    22-2 out of conference Lebomb

The SEC is the best, no question

Don't start stupid threads. It's just a matter of time before TDong comes in here to start yapping about the Pac-10

My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count

None the less, I do think that everyone, not just the SEC, is underachieving a little so far. A lot of big teams have gone down and I think we're going to have a scramble like 2007 to the BCS championship unless Texas and Bama run it out. Bama is the best looking team I've seen all year.
    I'm not sure the SEC is underachieving. They lead the nation in scoring and have the best non-conference record. The only thing I see as being below average for the SEC this year is defense. SEC leads the nation in Offense as well

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Like I said.............the SEC is #1.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    sec = sucks every

Believe.
    My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    At this point in the season, I think the SEC is still #1 by a considerable margin. The Big12 has been almost if not just as good the last couple of seasons, but they're not really the same thus far this season.

Just for fun, here are the BCS conference's ooc standings. Obviously there is some serious variation on the quality of teams played, but it's still an interesting indicator.

SEC: 22-2
    Big wins: UA over VT, AUB over WV, UGA over ASU
    Pathetic losses: None

ACC: 19-13
    Big wins: VT over NEB, FSU over BYU
    Pathetic losses: Richmond over Duke, W&M over Virginia, Mid Tennessee over Maryland

Big East: 21-7
    Big wins:Cincinnati over Oregon State?, USF over FSU
    Pathetic losses:None

Big 10: 24-9
    Big wins:Mich over ND
    Pathetic losses:Northern Illinois over Purdue, Central Michigan over MSU

Big 12: 32-10
    Big wins:OSU over UGA, Baylor over WF?
    Pathetic losses:LA-Lafayette over KSU, CSU over CU, Toledo over CU

Pac 10:19-7
    Big wins: Oregon over Utah, Cal over Minn?, USC over OSU, UCLA over Tennessee
    Pathetic losses: Hawaii over WSU

Based on that, SEC looks legit. Big 12 has a number of losses, but a lot of those are to solid teams (BYU, Houston, Iowa, etc.). Pac-10 has really performed well and has gained a lot of credibility in my eyes. The ACC's record is pretty embarrassing thus far.

Veteran
    My Team
    Alabama Crimson Tide
    Post Count
    SEC is like overrated every year, yet at the same time, it is by far the best conference in college football.

This year it features the two best teams in the nation with Alabama/Florida... then a load of solid teams like LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, S. Carolina, Arkansas etc.... the depth and parity still puts every other conference to shame.

i'll tell you what i don't understand. do the Coaches even care about their own poll? wth is going on here...

Southern Cal #7 (i'll concede this is too high, based on their current play. AP has them there as well, though)

penn state #13 (too high)
    houston #15 (below ok state? and after they beat tekk!)
    iowa #17 (behind penn state?)
    cal #19 (too high)
    oregon #25 (behind cal? and ranked waaay too low)

...and 3-4 teams not ranked that should be. the AP poll isn't perfect, but its a of a lot more accurate, imo.

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    SEC: 22-2
    Big wins: UA over VT, AUB over WV, UGA over ASU
    Pathetic losses: None

Big 12: 32-10
    Big wins:OSU over UGA, Baylor over WF?
    Pathetic losses:LA-Lafayette over KSU, CSU over CU, Toledo over CU

Based on that, SEC looks legit. Big 12 has a number of losses, but a lot of those are to solid teams (BYU, Houston, Iowa, etc.). Pac-10 has really performed well and has gained a lot of credibility in my eyes. The ACC's record is pretty embarrassing thus far.

You can't judge a stat at face value when it comes to who has beaten whom.

SEC's OOC wins are over teams .309; B12s are over teams .363.

Overall the B12s OOC in games played is .469 and SECs is .351.

Vandy may be 2-2 but they haven't beaten a team with a win yet. Tenn may be 2-2 but they haven't beaten a team with a Div 1 win yet. UK may be 2-1 but, come on, almost losing to Lville? arKy's only win over FBS, Miss St only beats Vandy.

CU lost to CSU (who has only lost to BYU) and @ Toledo (who has lost @ Ohio St). La La beat KSU (which I picked by the way, look it up). The rest of the B12 losses are to ranked teams, I believe.

Does either show which is better? No, that's the point. You can't tell me KSU or ISU or CU is any worse than Vandy or Miss St or UK or arKy. The SEC bad guys just played worse opps and beat who they shoulda.

Still not a tougher division than the B12 South. Even with atm in the crapper, Baylor looks like a possible bowler this year. And the North even has 3 teams ranked, and ISU's only loss is to Iowa.

My Team
    Oregon State Beavers
    Post Count
    The SEC is ridiculously overrated. It's always been that way.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    the SEC. They may be overrated this year, but are still the most compe ive conference. SEC matchups are alway fun to watch. Florida WILL lose 1 or 2 games to SEC teams

Believe.
    My Team
    Auburn Tigers
    Post Count
    You can't judge a stat at face value when it comes to who has beaten whom.

Vandy may be 2-2 but they haven't beaten a team with a win yet. Tenn may be 2-2 but they haven't beaten a team with a Div 1 win yet. UK may be 2-1 but, come on, almost losing to Lville? arKy's only win over FBS, Miss St only beats Vandy.

CU lost to CSU (who has only lost to BYU) and @ Toledo (who has lost @ Ohio St). La La beat KSU (which I picked by the way, look it up). The rest of the B12 losses are to ranked teams, I believe.

Does either show which is better? No, that's the point. You can't tell me KSU or ISU or CU is any worse than Vandy or Miss St or UK or arKy. The SEC bad guys just played worse opps and beat who they shoulda.
    Just for fun, here are the BCS conference's ooc standings. Obviously there is some serious variation on the quality of teams played, but it's still an interesting indicator.

Relax. I never suggested that ooc standings were the end all be all stat and I gave props to the Big 12 for playing some solid opponents. And yes, I'd agree that the SEC has played more cupcakes than some other conferences have.

Post Count
    You guys are watching too much ESPN. That ing 2.25 billion dollar contract ESPN signed has turned ESPN into the SEC Network. SEC isn't THAT good.

My Team
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Post Count
    You guys are watching too much ESPN. That ing 2.25 billion dollar contract ESPN signed has turned ESPN into the SEC Network. SEC isn't THAT good.
    That just started this year.

Just some stats for thought....

The SEC has the most alumni playing in the NFL. The 2008 NFL opening day active rosters showed 259 former SEC football players on NFL rosters. The ACC was second with 254 players; the Big Ten was third with 227; Pac-10 -- 178; Big 12 -- 170; Big East -- 87. The SEC has led all conferences with the most NFL players every year since 2001. In the 2009 NFL draft, again, the SEC led all conferences with 8 first rounders and 37 players drafted overall.
    Bowl wins

####Bowls Wins Losses Ties Win %
    SEC #348 190 149 9 .559

Pac-10 193 103 88 2 .539

Big Ten 209 97 111 1 .467

ACC 166 81 83 2 .494

Big 8 127 63 63 1 .500

Southwest 151 63 80 8 .444

Big 12 92 45 47 0 .489

Big East 76 42 34 0 .553

WAC 101 42 58 1 .421

All-time wins

#######Years Wins Losses Ties Win %
    Alabama 112 787 314 43 .707

Tennessee 110 771 320 53 .697

Georgia 113 713 381 54 .645

LSU 113 692 378 47 .641

Auburn 114 676 388 47 .630

Arkansas 113 646 435 40 .594

Florida 100 628 372 40 .623

Mississippi 112 597 460 35 .563

Kentucky 116 553 546 44 .503

Vanderbilt 117 547 541 50 .503

South Carolina 113 521 523 44 .499

Mississippi State 107 481 519 39 .482
    Attendence
    The SEC has led the nation in football attendance for 11 straight years – averaging 75,816 fans per game in 2008
    Old school national les included
    1-BIG10- 27 (Michigan-7, Minnesota-6, Ohio State-5, Illinois-4 ,Michigan State-3, Penn State-2

2) - SEC- 25 (Alabama-11, Tennessee-4, LSU-3, Florida-3, Ga- 2, Arkansas-1, Auburn-1, Ole Miss-1 )

3- BIG12- 19 (Oklahoma-7, Nebraska-5, Texas-4, Texas A&M-2, Colorado-1)

4- PAC10- 16 (Southern Cal-10, Cal-3, Stanford-1, Washington-1, UCLA-1)

5- ACC- 14 (Miami-5, Ga.Tech-4, Maryland-2, Fla St.-2, Clemson-1)

6- BIG EAST- 7 (West Va-1, Pittsburgh-6)

BCS winning
    ######total wins losses winning % number of teams
    Big Ten 19 8 11 .421 7

SEC 17 12 5 .710 6

Big 12 16 7 9 .438 7

Pac-10 13 9 4 .692 7

Big East 11 6 5 .545 7

ACC 11 2 9 .182 4

MWC 2 2 0 1.000 1

WAC 2 1 1 .500 2

Independent 3 0 3 .000 1

These are just numbers, but the history and recent success can't be denied. Its true every team in the SEC isn't strong enough to win the national le every year like some fans think, but its also short sided to not see the amount of talent (coaching and players), the winning percentages (even all-time only two teams have losing records), the BCS dominance (5 championships) and the number of NFL players that come from the conference. Not to mention exciting venues (this isn't even a question) and games. But I am an SEC fan, grew up in GA and SC, so take it for what its worth

Go Dawgs!

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    Is there a rundown on years probation for cheating by conf?

My Team
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Post Count
    Is there a rundown on years probation for cheating by conf?
    Maybe. But its been said on here before, cheating and slavery is the only reason the SEC has had success

My Team
    Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Post Count
    Well, it is what it is.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Maybe. But its been said on here before, cheating and slavery is the only reason the SEC has had success

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Lol #9 Tennessee down 13-3 to Appalachian St with 5 minutes left in first half. .

Thread Information