Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    level 5-2. Most of this game isn't too hard but that one is a , especially having to fight those big gots while stuck in the poison water that keeps you from rolling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But yes, Demon's Souls is worth owning a PS3 for by itself, if what the reviews say are true... and they have been thus far. 4 hours on it today.
    If you thought a PS3 was worth buying just for Demon's Souls then a PS4 is worth trading in a kidney for Bloodborne. Having just finished Demon's Souls, I'd say the game is really good, probably 8.5/10. But Bloodborne is 10/10. Besides graphics, Bloodborne is better because:

(1) The gothic atmosphere in Bloodborne is so much more immersive. Just the way everyone treats you like a piece of when they laugh at you for being stuck outside on the night of a hunt is hilarious. Then the psychopaths on the street you're fighting. I'm usually not too into steampunk but man Bloodborne nails it.

(2) There are no ranged weapons, so no cheesing with magic or arrows. So no cheap bossfights like the two dragons in the Boletarian Palace. You do have pistols/shotguns, but you can't use them like the ranged weapons in Demon's Souls. They're way too weak for that. You use them to parry and go in for the critical. And damn criticals are brutal in Bloodborne.

(3) There are no shields, so you have to either dodge or parry.

(4) Bloodborne encourages very aggressive play through allowing you to recover some health back by hitting the enemy back after getting hit.

(5) The bosses are harder in Bloodborne, and in The Old Hunters DLC they're way harder. Eg, the Blood Starved Beast is one of the easier bosses in Bloodborne, but I thought it was significantly harder than every boss in Demon's Souls other than the two gargoyles on the bridge in 3-2.

(6) Bloodborne seems about twice as long if you count the 10 hour DLC.

(7) No annoying light/dark world events. That just pisses me off in Demon's Souls to not be able to get to parts of the world because I got killed once in human form.

(8) Better control too. I know it's 8 years old, but the control in Demon's Souls definitely feels slower than in Bloodborne.

The actress who played the Maiden in Black also returns in a similar role in Bloodborne.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-30-2017 at 06:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demon's Souls took off half your health when you died. I think. I haven't played the game in years.
    Does Dark Souls do that too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only boss fight in Demon's Souls that seemed that bad was the two gargoyles in 3-2, and that's mostly because you're on a narrow bridge. The next hardest boss was probably the one in the tutorial who sits on you.

So easy to do backstabs in this game though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you thought a PS3 was worth buying just for Demon's Souls then a PS4 is worth trading in a kidney for Bloodborne. Having just finished Demon's Souls, I'd say the game is really good, probably 8.5/10. But Bloodborne is 10/10. Besides graphics, Bloodborne is better because:

(1) The gothic atmosphere in Bloodborne is so much more immersive. Just the way everyone treats you like a piece of when they laugh at you for being stuck outside on the night of a hunt is hilarious. Then the psychopaths on the street you're fighting. I'm usually not too into steampunk but man Bloodborne nails it.

(2) There are no ranged weapons, so no cheesing with magic or arrows. So no cheap bossfights like the two dragons in the Boletarian Palace. You do have pistols/shotguns, but you can't use them like the ranged weapons in Demon's Souls. They're way too weak for that. You use them to parry and go in for the critical. And damn criticals are brutal in Bloodborne.

(3) There are no shields, so you have to either dodge or parry.

(4) Bloodborne encourages very aggressive play through allowing you to recover some health back by hitting the enemy back after getting hit.

(5) The bosses are harder in Bloodborne, and in The Old Hunters DLC they're way harder. Eg, the Blood Starved Beast is one of the easier bosses in Bloodborne, but I thought it was significantly harder than every boss in Demon's Souls other than the two gargoyles on the bridge in 3-2.

(6) Bloodborne seems about twice as long if you count the 10 hour DLC.

(7) No annoying light/dark world events. That just pisses me off in Demon's Souls to not be able to get to parts of the world because I got killed once in human form.

(8) Better control too. I know it's 8 years old, but the control in Demon's Souls definitely feels slower than in Bloodborne.

The actress who played the Maiden in Black also returns in a similar role in Bloodborne.
    How do you compare BB to the modern Dark Souls games? III was one of my favorite games of all-time, I think. I never got around to beating DS. =\

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Dark Souls do that too?
    It's not really half. If you aren't in corporeal form, you have less health to work with. It's not really too crippling, it just means that when you aren't a ghost you have to guard your life more carefully. Makes things a bit more tense than usual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you compare BB to the modern Dark Souls games? III was one of my favorite games of all-time, I think. I never got around to beating DS. =\
    I haven't played a whole lot of Dark Souls III. Obviously DS III is better graphically since you can play it at 60 fps on PC at 1080p with an i5 and a GTX 970/R9 290/GTX 1060/RX 480 or better, while on PS4 Bloodborne is 30 fps at 1080p. I didn't get very far in Dark Souls III because I think Fallout 4 came out right when I first started playing it. I enjoyed the beginning of DS III, but I can't say I was blown away by it the way I was Bloodborne. If you don't take me word for it though, ask redzero who is a huge Souls fan. I think he ranks Bloodborne as the best in the series. I can't remember if he had DS III or DS I as the second best. I do consider Bloodborne one of the seven perfect games I have ever played since I started gaming in the early 1980s. It's hands down the best game I have played since Skyrim six years ago. I'm hoping like the rumors of From Software releasing a Bloodborne 2 are true. I guess we'll find out at E3. Man I hope when PS5 comes out next decade they release a 60 fps remaster like they did for PS4 with The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3, and God of War III.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 04-05-2017 at 10:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't played a whole lot of Dark Souls III. Obviously DS III is better graphically since you can play it at 60 fps on PC at 1080p with an i5 and a GTX 970/R9 290/GTX 1060/RX 480 or better, while on PS4 Bloodborne is 30 fps at 1080p. I didn't get very far in Dark Souls III because I think Fallout 4 came out right when I first started playing it. I enjoyed the beginning of DS III, but I can't say I was blown away by it the way I was Bloodborne. If you don't take me word for it though, ask redzero who is a huge Souls fan. I think he ranks Bloodborne as the best in the series. I can't remember if he had DS III or DS I as the second best. I do consider Bloodborne one of the seven perfect games I have ever played since I started gaming in the early 1980s. It's hands down the best game I have played since Skyrim six years ago. I'm hoping like the rumors of From Software releasing a Bloodborne 2 are true. I guess we'll find out at E3. Man I hope when PS5 comes out next decade they release a 60 fps remaster like they did for PS4 with The Last of Us, Uncharted 1-3, and God of War III.
    A PS5 launch release of Horizon Zero Dawn 2, and Bloodborne 2.. might as well say goodbye to Xbox.

Heck Nier has garnered so many fans too and I dont even like that game.

Not to mention Ratchet and Clank can be the teen friendly game, and they can get Jack amd daxter again.

Not sure what's stopping Sony from just killing Xbox.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A PS5 launch release of Horizon Zero Dawn 2, and Bloodborne 2.. might as well say goodbye to Xbox.

Heck Nier has garnered so many fans too and I dont even like that game.

Not to mention Ratchet and Clank can be the teen friendly game, and they can get Jack amd daxter again.

Not sure what's stopping Sony from just killing Xbox.
    that , I want Bloodborne 2 this year or next man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, watch these two videos and tell me you don't want to play this game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that , I want Bloodborne 2 this year or next man.
    They've had 3 souls game in like 4 years IIRC. They're probably going to take a break. I a lot on japanese developers but 95% of gameplay innovation comes from that weird ass country.

Wouldn't surprise me if they come up with a way to improve bloodbrone gameplay even more.

Just look at all the games that have tried to copy the souls series. ...

Absolver being the next game and those goons at for honour wont admit it, but they totally took massive inspiration from the souls series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man Dark Souls 1 can be really cheap sometimes. Like you get killed because of the camera when you can't see what you're doing because of an archway or a tree or something like that. Or you get in a fight and there are little pieces of rubble blocking your movement so you get trapped in areas. It's a good game and I like it better than Demon's Souls (which was much much easier IMO) but the cheap deaths you get sometimes make it more frustrating to play than Bloodborne (where are your deaths usually come from having a stupid strategy or being undisciplined).

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, these games can be infuriating at times. Back into DSII.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, these games can be infuriating at times. Back into DSII.
    I'm curious what you didn't like about Bloodborne vs the Dark Souls series. Was it the setting? Or the fact the combat is at a lot different pace? Especially with the health regen system that forces you into really aggressive play? Or that not having shields changed things up so much? I always feel kind of lazy in Dark Souls vs Bloodborne in that I can just raise my shield up and try to circle for the backstab, which seems worlds harder in Bloodborne without shields. I find myself never doing parry-riposte in Dark Souls while it's an absolute critical move in Bloodborne. I guess the character building and development is a little dumbed down in Bloodborne vs the Souls games since Bloodborne pretty much eliminated ranged combat and magic. I can't say I'm much of a fan of magic in the Souls series though. When I played Demon's Souls I did a magic based build since I ended up getting a pretty powerful weapon that scaled well with magic real early on (the crescent falchion), and it made the game feel way too easy IMO.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It could be that I was just younger when I got into Souls, and by the time BB came out, I had a kid and not enough time to really learn how to play, or read into the lore.

But you're right, I always do the sword and board build, which is probably another reason I prefer DS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It could be that I was just younger when I got into Souls, and by the time BB came out, I had a kid and not enough time to really learn how to play, or read into the lore.

But you're right, I always do the sword and board build, which is probably another reason I prefer DS.
    Makes sense. Funny, I'm playing Dark Souls 1 with almost a Bloodborne kind of build. Eg with really lightweight armor (I use those red robes that have curse resistance, I forgot what they're called) so I can keep my equip load lower than 25% and thus do full speed rolls. But I do use a shield with a lot of magic resistance (crest shield I think), so not fully a BB build.

Amazing game. I hope DS2 and DS3 are even half as good as DS1.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If you get DS2 on the PS4, it is an amazing game.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I do typical super heavy build with a sword that meets in the middle of power, and speed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do typical super heavy build with a sword that meets in the middle of power, and speed.
    Maybe when I play DS2 I'll do a build like that just for a change of pace. I usually prefer agility builds in RPGs but a heavy build might make sense so it doesn't feel like I'm playing the same game again.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Dark Souls 2's level design is ass and the graphics are worse than its predecessor's, for some reason. Lot's of models look muddy and ugly. It's a good, but it's the worst Soulsborne game. The DLC is pretty good. I never played Scholars of the First Sin, but it's got all the DLC and better graphics (allegedly).

Thread Information