Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Military commissions don't work, but even to the extent they do, they have been undermined by torture and lnhumane detention.

The U.S.A. ain't got diddly squat on Russia, Winester.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thread
    notthewordsofonewhokneels

This message is hidden because Thread is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

No supply for you, Dale. I advise you to go to a senior center and try to get laid as opposed to the nonstop posting for attention.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Thread
    notthewordsofonewhokneels

This message is hidden because Thread is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list

No supply for you, Dale. I advise you to go to a senior center and try to get laid as opposed to the nonstop posting for attention.
    I'll answer this-a-way, via "Sgt. Al Powell" -Die Hard-..."No, sir, you couldn't drag me away."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you know for certain that someone has information you can torture it out of them. To that extent I can understand it's targeted use.

What we did was largely for punitive and fishing purposes. It's disgusting as is how the national security ins utions like the CIA and NSA can act with impunity.
    The thing is, under exquisite duress, people will confess to anything. The ticking time bomb scenario with a perp or associate already in custody is quite rare. We detained a bunch of people who knew nothing valuable or were turned in by unscrupulous people to collect bounties.

GWB and Obama released like 75% percent of the Gitmo detainees without any charges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, under exquisite duress, people will confess to anything. The ticking time bomb scenario with a perp or associate already in custody is quite rare. We detained a bunch of people who knew nothing valuable or were turned in by unscrupulous people to collect bounties.

GWB and Obama released like 75% percent of the Gitmo detainees without any charges.
    Which is exactly the issue with fishing. People will make up just to make the torture stop which is not only immoral and illegal but also counter productive.

Something like this needs transparent oversight and given the nature of the NSA and intelligence apparatus that is impossible. The only sensible option is to just shut it all down.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Well, you've obviously got Trump on-the-spot as far as [[[under exquisite duress.]]] Day 1 of his Presidency they threatened to blow up the White House as he, his wife and their only child tried to move in. tee, hee.

Bet he don't [[[confess]]], Winester.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is exactly the issue with fishing. People will make up just to make the torture stop which is not only immoral and illegal but also counter productive.

Something like this needs transparent oversight and given the nature of the NSA and intelligence apparatus that is impossible. The only sensible option is to just shut it all down.
    Obama failed to deliver on this promise, and the torture continued. I heartily agree it should all be shut down. Even though we forfeit prestige and our good reputation for giving bad guys a fair shake -- impartial justice. The black eye isn't going away.

, we're still sporting it proudly.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 08-27-2023 at 02:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tl;dr

Gitmo military commissions have convicted one guy by trial in 20 years.

We probably would have convicted more bad guys the regular way, but no, we preferred a lawless torture gulag for people we rounded up higgeldy-piggeldy to sate the national appe e for vengeance and blood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CC, DarrinS, DMC and many other board conservatives were fully on board the whole way and probably still are.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    CC, DarrinS, DMC and many other board conservatives were fully on board the whole way and probably still are.
    ...Sure, absolutely till you included President Trump to the torture and multiple threats on his life.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Obama failed to deliver on this promise, and the torture continued. I heartily agree it should all be shut down. Even though we forfeit prestige and our good reputation for giving bad guys a fair shake -- impartial justice. The black eye isn't going away.

Sure, absolutely, Hussein ("and the torture continued")...Hussein even murdered Bin Laden on spec. Damn well better hope Bin did it, otherwise when God opens Hussein's Book he ain't a gonna be able to place the race card then...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

the way that he responded made it clear to me that someone from the NSA or CIA convinced him otherwise. It became a double whammy of going back on that promise and his promise of transparency.

He is a Chicago politician so I was not particularly surprised. I don't think I have ever been so happy to vote third party as when he was running.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    the way that he responded made it clear to me that someone from the NSA or CIA convinced him otherwise. It became a double whammy of going back on that promise and his promise of transparency.

He is a Chicago politician so I was not particularly surprised. I don't think I have ever been so happy to vote third party as when he was running.
    Then you pulled the lever for Hussein anyway, just in case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US torture of detainees undermines the effort to bring alleged 9/11 plotters to justice.

Lawyers for Mr. Mohammed and the other defendants want the judge to exclude from their death-penalty trial, scheduled to start in January 2021, what they told F.B.I. agents in early 2007, months after they got to Guantánamo. The defense lawyers say those interrogations — carried out by what prosecutors say were “clean teams” from the F.B.I. who were unfamiliar with evidence unlawfully obtained from the defendants during the years they were in C.I.A. custody and subject to torture — were in fact tainted by years of clandestine C.I.A.-F.B.I. collaboration.

The defense lawyers argue that the prisoners provided the same answers to F.B.I. agents in 2007 that they had previously given to the C.I.A. at black sites where they were punished for not cooperating, and did not believe, based on conditions at Guantánamo, that they had free choice to refuse.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/01/u...-11-trial.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's probably a selling point for many board conservatives, but torture rendered an accused 9/11 plotter unfit for trial

Thread Information