Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' Mahinmi shines despite ref's error
    Mike Monroe

MIAMI — When he has been healthy enough to suit up and play, Spurs center Ian Mahinmi often has had his progression as an NBA-caliber player re ed by foul problems. So, a mistake by one of the replacement referees working Sunday's 95-93 Spurs preseason victory over the Heat at American Airlines Arena seemed especially cruel.

With 8:08 left in the first quarter, Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. grabbed the arm of Heat forward Joel Anthony to stop Anthony from going up for an easy basket. Referee Nick Buchert called the obvious foul, but then reported to the official scorer that the foul was on No. 50.

Informed by the scorer that the Spurs had no player wearing No. 50, Buchert changed the foul to No. 28 — Mahinmi.

Mahinmi had started the game because Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wanted an opportunity to see him against quality opposition for a long stretch.

When Mahinmi picked up two more fouls in the next 21/2 minutes, Popovich sat him for the remainder of the first half.

Mahinmi was back on the court at the start of the second half. This time, he managed to play 16-plus minutes, getting called for only one more personal foul. He finished with nine points, three rebounds, three blocked shots and some encouragement from Popovich.

“I thought this was his best outing so far,' Popovich said. “He really showed his athleticism and shot blocking ability.”

Veteran move: When guard Curtis Jerrells missed a 20-foot jumper with 16 seconds left, Miami's Daequan Cook tracked down the rebound, dribbled into the frontcourt and called time out, with 9.5 seconds remaining, and the Spurs leading 95-93.

The Heat ran the play coach Erik Spoelstra diagrammed for them, freeing Cook for a 3-point try just ahead of the buzzer. Cook's shot missed, leaving the Spurs with a victory and both Popovich and Spoelstra smiling at the wisdom of avoiding overtime in a meaningless exhibition game.

Stars sitting: Spurs stars Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili didn't even make the trip to Miami, given a couple of days rest by Popovich. Spoelstra was taking no chances with two of his stars. Dwyane Wade (strained rib) and Jermaine O'Neal (sprained ankle) didn't suit up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Veteran move: When guard Curtis Jerrells missed a 20-foot jumper with 16 seconds left, Miami's Daequan Cook tracked down the rebound, dribbled into the frontcourt and called time out, with 9.5 seconds remaining, and the Spurs leading 95-93.

The Heat ran the play coach Erik Spoelstra diagrammed for them, freeing Cook for a 3-point try just ahead of the buzzer. Cook's shot missed, leaving the Spurs with a victory and both Popovich and Spoelstra smiling at the wisdom of avoiding overtime in a meaningless exhibition game.
    Basic math Fail.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basic math Fail.
    When you're up by two, you can also play for the tie. The Heat chose not to do that. Either they make the basket and win, or miss and lose. Hence, "avoiding overtime".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basic math Fail.
    he's stating the fact that Miami went for the win, instead of of going for the tie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We really need Mahinmi to become an NBA caliber player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basic math Fail.
    Nice catch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basic math Fail.
    If they made it, they win. If they missed it, they lose. Given that the entire point of pre-season has nothing to do with wins, I'd say it was a favor to everyone involved that the 3-point play was drawn.

Call out fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol, why do people focus on the most minor things? I wish I could have seen this game. I would like to see how Ian did. I am happy to hear he was altering shots, but I would like to see how he looked on offense.

I wonder how a guy as athletic as him could bet blocked 3 times?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a weak move from the refs..

With that being said, Ian is clearly improving from game-to-game, and his talent is evident..he's naturally going to struggle with fouls as a big man in the current state of the league, but his potential continues to be clear..hopefully he continues to play well..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Referee Nick Buchert called the obvious foul, but then reported to the official scorer that the foul was on No. 50.

Informed by the scorer that the Spurs had no player wearing No. 50, NOR WOULD THEY EVER HAVE A PLAYER WEARING THAT NUMBER EVER AGAIN, Buchert changed the foul to No. 28 — Mahinmi.
    Fixed.

Amazing how David gets bull calls against him even now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Informed by the scorer that the Spurs had no player wearing No. 50, Buchert changed the foul to No. 28 — Mahinmi.
    I was wondering what the happened; Bill Schoening might still be trying to figure it out.

“I thought this was his best outing so far,' Popovich said. “He really showed his athleticism and shot blocking ability.”
    That's definitely encouraging.

It sounded like Ian came out aggressive and active, going for blocks and showing some persistence by tipping in his own miss, but the foul-trouble got the better of him. It was definitely a positive that he was able to adjust his game and stay on the court in the second half, though.

It's a step in the right direction and hopefully with more court-time we see plenty more of those.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to see Ian next to Duncan this pre-season. See what he can do when Duncan is taking the pressure off of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder how a guy as athletic as him could bet blocked 3 times?
    I remember hearing one or two of them being blocked from behind by Anthony, and the blocks on Ian usually come on a put-back or pass where he has to gather close to the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Encouraging mistake, the ref thought Ian was David Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, a mistake by one of the replacement referees...
    And so it begins...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basic math Fail.
    Basic Life Fail...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fixed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's sad that the replacement ref not only has no idea that DRob has retired, but he doesn't even know what he looks like. Hasn't he ever seen an early 90's nike commercial?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can read the internets however I want to read them.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I remember (off the boxscore), Ian was off to a fast start. Had 4 points and 2 rebs, 1 blk very early on then he got his 3 straight fouls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That ref failed so bad. I can understand calling out a wrong number but calling a foul on #50 for the Spurs is just ridiculous...that like calling a foul on #23 for the Bulls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That ref failed so bad. I can understand calling out a wrong number but calling a foul on #50 for the Spurs is just ridiculous...that like calling a foul on #23 for the Heat.
    See, that's SO much funnier...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Ian can spread his six fouls out fairly evenly over 20 mpg, I can live with that. He can get gunshy if the fouls come in bunches.

Thread Information