Each Day Offers Potential Darrin's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    A Ron Artest foul. Ben Wallace's push. A fan with a beer.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...e+Brawl&hl=en#

I wanted to take a moment to recognize it. What have you taken away from this incident?

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    horrible detroit fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    horrible detroit fans
    stupid trolls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re-watched it for the first time in a LONG time...

...and I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the bad rap that Artest's gotten. Jax was out of his MIND that night, and drunk fans w/ beer after a loss are fucking dangerous, REGARDLESS of the city.

"why? cause we get laid more often then we do talking about basketball on some forum like fucking homo nerds?" - GNSF in response to the wild assertion that "new posters suck"

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Inexcusable on the fans part, and not just that Green guy who threw the cup at Artest. There were countless others throwing drinks, popcorn, I believe one fan picked up a folding chair, another fan walked up onto the court and confronted Jermaine O'Neal. Really ridiculous display by many fans that night.

I actually like Ron Artest, and I think most of the time, he has good intentions but just lacks some tact or common sense, similar to a guy like Manny Ramirez. However, I don't think he got a bad wrap on this. He deserved all the criticism and more. First of all, he got into a fight with a fan after basically not wanting any part of Ben Wallace when Ben threw a towel in his face. Ron was so quick to get away from Ben Wallace but so ready to attack some non-athletic fan? Also, Ron Artest laid down on the scorer's table. How at all is that acceptable? Why didn't his coaches get him off the scorer's table? This was a road game, not a home game where your home fans might find your theatrics amusing. Lastly, it is not brought up enough that when Ron Artest did run into the stands, the guy he attacked was the WRONG GUY. He started hitting an innocent person.

And, yes, Stephen Jackson got off way too easily, especially compared to how Artest was disciplined.

Re-living it is weird now that it's been so long ago. I think there is plenty of blame to go around for it, including Ben Wallace, who probably shouldn't have gotten so riled up over a foul. Both Larry and Rick should take blame as well for having their starters on the court in the final minute or two of a blowout game. Why were Ben and Ron in the game anyway?

Bad memories. I don't take any pride as a Piston fan that that happened here. I think it was bad for the players, the fans, the organization, the city, and the league. Nothing good came out of that, in my opinion.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    A little over 5 months before the brawl, during the NBA Finals, a professional comedian went on National Television and said "Detroit will burn the city to the ground if the Pistons win." I was in tears the night of the brawl, cursing profusely. Tears of rage. Not at Ron Artest or Ben Wallace, but because we had brought shame to the city of Detroit, a city that didn't need to add to the stereotypes typified by the comedian's comments. We might as well have burned the city to the ground. We were graceless defending the title. And it wasn't just the brawl.

That being said, Ron Artest escalated the situation. He didn't use Palace security. He did something that had no precedent. Ben Wallace and the fan teed it up and Ron Artest knocked it out of the park.

As the clock wound down and it appeared that Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen had sealed a victory for the Spurs in game seven of the NBA Finals, a feeling of relief came over me. The season was over and we wouldn't have this tarnish a Championship season. It was a bitter loss, but part of me was happy. It gave me heart burn an was not the least-bit enjoyable. From Larry Brown to Rasheed Wallace, arguments about the brawl to a bomb scare to knowing the Pistons' fans got involved and ruined an NBA title contender, to 2-1, 3-2, and 2-0 series deficits in the last three rounds, I was spent.
    Last edited by Darrin; 11-20-2009 at 03:09 PM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Didn't Ben Wallace lose a brother before the brawl? I am not excusing his actions by any means but I can understand why he had a short fuse after the Artest foul.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Didn't Ben Wallace lose a brother before the brawl? I am not excusing his actions by any means but I can understand why he had a short fuse after the Artest foul.
    He did, and if you remember, Artest had sprained Mike Curry's wrist in 2003, tried going toe-to-toe with Rebraca in the same game, and Ben and Artest had been going at it the entire fourth quarter.

Still, he ignited the fuse. He threw a towel and a wrist-band at Artest in addition to the push. He deserved the 6-game suspension.

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    A little over 5 months before the brawl, during the NBA Finals, a professional comedian went on National Television and said "Detroit will burn the city to the ground if the Pistons win." I was in tears the night of the brawl, cursing profusely. Tears of rage. Not at Ron Artest or Ben Wallace, but because we had brought shame to the city of Detroit, a city that didn't need to add to the stereotypes typified by the comedian's comments. We might as well have burned the city to the ground. We were graceless defending the title. And it wasn't just the brawl.

That being said, Ron Artest escalated the situation. He didn't use Palace security. He did something that had no precedent. Ben Wallace and the fan teed it up and Ron Artest knocked it out of the park.

As the clock wound down and it appeared that Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen had sealed a victory for the Spurs in game seven of the NBA Finals, a feeling of relief came over me. The season was over and we wouldn't have this tarnish a Championship season. It was a bitter loss, but part of me was happy. It gave me heart burn an was not the least-bit enjoyable. From Larry Brown to Rasheed Wallace, arguments about the brawl to a bomb scare to knowing the Pistons' fans got involved and ruined an NBA title contender, to 2-1, 3-2, and 2-0 series deficits in the last three rounds, I was spent.
    Agreed. 2005 (04/05) was an ugly season to watch, and frankly we did not deserve to repeat. That being said, 2006 (05/06) turned out to be the most enjoyable Pistons regular season I've ever watched... I spent quite a bit of money to watch games at the Palace that year. It was much more of a heartbreaker than 2005 was, for sure.

As far as the brawl... every single person involved in that brawl was in the wrong. A sad, sad day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm rootin for you, Detroit. Us Spurs fans gotta love our brothers from the East.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forget this shit already.

Spurs, Colts, Cowboys, and Irish SpursFanFirst's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's unfortunate about this whole thing is what's happened to the Pacers organization since that night.

The franchise has been ruined. People here (Indianapolis) have not forgotten, and have not forgiven the actions of thugs no longer on the team. Good, innocent guys are now paying the price.

It certainly was no shining moment for Detroit, but I think the consequences of that fight have damaged the Pacers far more than it will ever damage the Pistons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team