Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    it's just more enjoyable, I don't have to sit there and wonder what the the guys is trying to say. I don't have to try and understand British humor (or humour if I'm talking like a Brit). I've watched it, I have the DVDs, it's just not as enjoyable. I don't understand how Americans could like it better than the US version (not saying they shouldn't like it at all). But I should preface that I'm not someone who goes to foreign films and reads the dialog.

I mean it's a good show, but to say the US version sucks, and that one is great is crazy.
    I wouldn't recommend watching the BBC Life on Mars then, you'd probably need sub les for the Manchester accents. Too bad, because outside of the Wire I can't think of a TV series on its level.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I wouldn't recommend watching the BBC Life on Mars then, you'd probably need sub les for the Manchester accents. Too bad, because outside of the Wire I can't think of a TV series on its level.
    You can travel the 7 seas and you won't find a better TV show than Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    perfect example of my theory is people standing in line for that piece of Mona Lisa. Why do people act like that is the greatest painting ever? Go to the louvre and it's like the least substantial painting there. It is small, and it's boring. You can go to any modern art museum and see hundreds of paintings better than that piece of , but that is revered around the world.

Same thing with the Beatles. The Beatles are alright, but they are blown out of proportion to the point where no band ever will be on their level. People put the Beatles on this pedestal where nobody can even be mentioned with them. People always ask "Why does the music of today suck>?" the reason is because they make the music of yesterday is blown way out of proportion. Radiohead is the best band of our generation (that's a fact) yet, they will never be able to be mentioned with the Beatles because people have spent nearly 40 years making the Beatles into more than they are.

Same thing with people and books. Sometimes the movie is better, but people will never admit it.
    Are you seriously trying to compare The Beatles and their influence on music to The Office? That is a horrible analogy dude. The Beatles, while I agree they are overrated, started modern music. They were the forerunners of all the music we have today and have inspired countless brilliant musical minds to compose some of the greatest works in history. Comparing the influence a historical benchmark like The Beatles to today's music and trying to make the whole Office analogy doesn't work.

A more appropriate analogy would be this: The original Office is like either a great song that is then in the future covered by another band, or a cover/tribute band. Whereas The Beatles inspired tons of different music, The Office spawned an American clone, with the exact same name and exact same premise virtually. It's like saying you think Fall Out Boy's version of Beat It is better than Michael Jackson's, it just isn't.

Honestly, don't watch the show, and I'm not trying to flame you or anything bro, I'm just saying, the analogy is kinda off. Like I said though, I do agree that The Beatles aren't as good as some people think. However, they were revolutionary, and that's what makes them important.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Are you seriously trying to compare The Beatles and their influence on music to The Office? That is a horrible analogy dude. The Beatles, while I agree they are overrated, started modern music. They were the forerunners of all the music we have today and have inspired countless brilliant musical minds to compose some of the greatest works in history. Comparing the influence a historical benchmark like The Beatles to today's music and trying to make the whole Office analogy doesn't work.

A more appropriate analogy would be this: The original Office is like either a great song that is then in the future covered by another band, or a cover/tribute band. Whereas The Beatles inspired tons of different music, The Office spawned an American clone, with the exact same name and exact same premise virtually. It's like saying you think Fall Out Boy's version of Beat It is better than Michael Jackson's, it just isn't.

Honestly, don't watch the show, and I'm not trying to flame you or anything bro, I'm just saying, the analogy is kinda off. Like I said though, I do agree that The Beatles aren't as good as some people think. However, they were revolutionary, and that's what makes them important.
    no I was saying that the work of the Beatles will never be matched by another band no matter how good they are. A band could come out and be better than the Beatles in every tangible category, but they will never be better than the Beatles. I was comparing it to how people always claim a book is better than a movie, or how the original is better than a spinoff or remake. I wasn't comparing the Office to the Beatles in the obvious sense. People have given the place of the "best band ever" to the Beatles, and the contest is closed. Nobody will ever top them, even though an argument like that should forever be open

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    it's like when people argue who is the best QB of all time, there are always people who argue that it's Otto Graham or Johnny Unitis. These are the people who always say the book is better than the movie. They have seen Joe Montana, Tom Brady, John Elway and Peyton Manning, yet they still think a 6'0 190lb Otto Graham was the best ever just because he was the first to be considered. The truth is, Otto Graham was good in his era, but the best EVER would have to be Tom Brady, Manning, Elway or Manning because they could have played in the 50's, while Graham couldn't play today. Yet, every argument has that guy who thinks he is expressing his football intellect by bringing up guys outside the modern era.

and I'm not saying baseline or Lee Majors are one of these people for liking the UK Office better, I'm just saying that alot of the people who say that are these types of people. I don't know their personal situations so I'm not stereotyping them

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Okay, I see what you're saying. But I think it has to do with the fact that there was nothing before them. Bands today have a lot to look back on and inspire them. Back in the 60s, there wasn't much going on in terms of musical creativity. But I see your point.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Okay, I see what you're saying. But I think it has to do with the fact that there was nothing before them. Bands today have a lot to look back on and inspire them. Back in the 60s, there wasn't much going on in terms of musical creativity. But I see your point.
    Maybe not in the white community. Jazz was racing along evolving by leaps and bounds at that time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I wouldn't say that nobody influenced the Beatles because they were all Chuck Berry fans and even covered a couple of his songs. The Beatles just were more popular than Chuck Berry and crossed over into pop culture where Chuck Berry didn't on that level. If you listen to their first album it's basically white guys playing Chuck Berry

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    but actually, that's exactly what I'm talking about. People talking about how great the Beatles are makes you forget that they were influenced by other artistes. People talk up the Beatles to the point where it makes us think they invented music. They were just making music that was popular at the time and they became more popular than any other group. They were very good (very good), but other bands did what they did.

It's like Nirvana, the creators of grunge

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    How is David Brent not a prick? Pam is a now. She use to be a nice normal person but her winding up with Jim and becoming a sales person has turned into a cry baby . Both shows have their ups and downs. The UK version goes toward the dry humor where the US version goes toward the easy humor dealing with slapstick stuff and pranks and impressions/voices. I will admit that The Office has gone down hill and has past its prime. The show is still funny but not as funny as it use to be. As soon as Jim and Pam got together, the show started down a downward spiral. Their relationship is not realistic or normal. They never fight or disagree about anything. What the is that? That's not normal. And then Jim and Pam act like they are the Prom King and Queen of the office too.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    How is David Brent not a prick? Pam is a now. She use to be a nice normal person but her winding up with Jim and becoming a sales person has turned into a cry baby . Both shows have their ups and downs. The UK version goes toward the dry humor where the US version goes toward the easy humor dealing with slapstick stuff and pranks and impressions/voices. I will admit that The Office has gone down hill and has past its prime. The show is still funny but not as funny as it use to be. As soon as Jim and Pam got together, the show started down a downward spiral. Their relationship is not realistic or normal. They never fight or disagree about anything. What the is that? That's not normal. And then Jim and Pam act like they are the Prom King and Queen of the office too.
    The only person David acts like an ass to is Neal.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They never fight or disagree about anything. What the is that?
    copier vs chairs episode
    pams dad divorces her mom episode
    pam finds out michaels boning her mom episode

cant really think of any more though

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    lol you must be the jealous Dwight guy where you work. Does someone where you work get all the attention and leave you out?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    The times that Pam and Jim have had a fight or argument, the argument or fight is usually over before the end of the episode. They aren't a normal couple in my opinion. Everything just seems too perfect and right for them.

I could care less about what others do at my work. The only thing I care about at my job is that I get paid, get my benefits and are able to use them, and get to use my vacation time when I go on a vacation. Caring, working hard, doing your best, having near perfect attendance, and making sacrifices doesn't get you anything at my work. That's why I don't give a anymore at my job. I just go in, work, leave, and get paid.

You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Michael standing up and "declaring" bankruptcy was hilarious.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    That was hilarious

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Everytime people argue it they always come off as those people who just argue it to be different as somehow having that opinion makes them more artistic. It's like whenever people see a movie, they always say the book was better.
    It has nothing to do with being pretentious - the book really is almost always better.

Keeping on topic, my favorite office clips have always been Jim's pranks on Dwight. Here are just a few...

Last edited by desflood; 11-28-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    Name
    Sean Jacquemotte
    Grew up on the NE side-Briarwick.Stationed at Ft. Carson, CO
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I just remembered that. That was the best!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You're making a knife with a knife?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Name
    Sean Jacquemotte
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Tonight I watched where Michael was having Dwight practice cold-calling with Jim. I laughed my ass off.The entire episode is classic.

Name
    Sean Jacquemotte
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Best I could find. Bad quality but here

Govt, stay away!
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Alabama Crimson Tide

Oscar "Michael you just can't shout bankruptcy and its fixed"

Michael "I didn't shout it, I declared it"

Name
    Irma
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Tonight I watched where Michael was having Dwight practice cold-calling with Jim. I laughed my ass off.The entire episode is classic.
    Brilliant stuff!!

Thread Information