View Poll Results: Who do you side with?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pop was right

84 58.33%
  • Parker was right

60 41.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Pop was mad at both the matador defense Tony was playing then (which concluded with Stuckey's 3), and some ballhogging on offense. I would have to go back and look at the dvr of the game, but I seem to recall Pop grabbing his head a couple times after some Tony penetrations that went nowhere quick then.

And i agree with Kori that TP responds well to criticism. I was actually waiting for Pop to officially open up the dog house and it was a nice sight when he did. I think Pop is starting to shorten the leash, including benching Bogans and RJ early in the game.

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either way I take Pop's side. At least he didn't grab him by the elbow and yank him around like Pop used to do Tony back in 03, that I had a problemw with, though a lot of people thought it was ok for Pop. If anything Pop has mellowed a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I side with Pop. Thats one of his best qualities: he'll bust your balls even if your name is Tim Duncan or Tony Parker. In that situation, TP dared Stuckey to make the shot and he made him pay although the scouting reports were in Parker's favor. However that doesn't mean you let that kind of defensive effort pass especially in the Spurs system; you have to respect all NBA players and ballclubs even if Detroit was on a ten game losing streak. , Detroit was well within striking distance up until the 4th quarter in part due to the Spurs not playing as physical as them early on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players should follow the coach's orders or risk being benched. That's "Sports 101" in my book. Even if Tony is thinking correctly, he should play as coached, unless he can talk Pop into changing his defensive strategy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Non-issue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can do things as a player that defy your coach, but you better have the gall to back up your decision.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony may have been right; however, he's 100% wrong responding to Pop the way he did.

This is a classic example of "getting into your star's face and the rest will fall in line." What kind of ing example is that if everyone follows Tony's lead and yells back at Pop for missing an assignment? Stupid, stupid move Tony.

I think Tony still had some champagne in his system because even though Pop is yelling at him, he's REALLY yelling(indirectly) at guys like RJ, Bogans, Blair, McDeyess and so on and so forth.

Tony knows this...

"He's Manu Ginobili." senorglory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stuckey is a .277 3 point shooter, you give him that shot if he wants it 10 times out of 10.
    Only if that's the team's plan on defense for the game, not a decision to be made on the floor by a player, most likely because he doesn't feel like running all the way out to the three, but would rather stay home a bit, where it's nice and comfy. It was a defensive lapse.

I think. Maybe. Who knows?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just happy to see Pop yelling at people more TBH..

Pop, the Mastermind superjames1992's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They really have kind of father / children relationship even after all these years. One day TP will have to kill the father but I think that Pop will remain the most influencing person for TP carreer. IMHO the TP nba future is closely tight to this relation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both have good points, but I gotta go with TP here. He followed the scouts report, and knowing how much better at driving stuckey is then shooting the three, he made the right decision. Assuming help D will be there is a bit much imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You just made my day with posting this link!! Thanks!

Well, both are somewhat right here. It was not a lazy play by TP but yeah TP knows that he should not leave a shooter open. But that Pop kept TP benched is a bit BS.

As for Pop being harsh on TP, well some players need that. He needs that to improve and keep improving and developing. That's what made TP what he is today.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    (besides the obvious and already stated fact that it's up to the coaches to tweak their defensive schemes)

Parker didn't read the scouting report:

1. Stuckey is a 43% shooter on the left corner 3.

2. The Pistons had played the Mavs the day before. They were down 3 with 10 seconds to go. The play they designed and called was a Stuckey 3 point shot from the corner. It was their go to play (and it wasn't a broken play, they wanted that shot). Stuckey is certainly good making that shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's an image you know

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not just talking about how he responded last night. I'm talking about throughout his career, Tony has responded well when Pop has been harsh with him. Pop is harder on some players than others, depending on their personalities. For example, he coddled Hedo. He's always rode TP pretty hard.
    He's always ridden Parker and Manu to get them to play their best, but he has never punished them with a trip to the bench after a mistake. That's a philosophy that has come along after the development of Manu and Tony and hasn't worked at all for any player that he's used it on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's always ridden Parker and Manu to get them to play their best, but he has never punished them with a trip to the bench after a mistake. That's a philosophy that has come along after the development of Manu and Tony and hasn't worked at all for any player that he's used it on.
    he's done that with manu a couple of time. one time during the 35 sec when tmac scored 13 pts. Another time more recently like 2-3 years ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's done that with manu a couple of time. one time during the 35 sec when tmac scored 13 pts. Another time more recently like 2-3 years ago.
    Yeah, how'd that one work out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, how'd that one work out?
    that's not the point. I'm just saying pop has done that before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not the point. I'm just saying pop has done that before.
    And the result is further evidence that he should have learned his lesson by now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with Pop on this one. Obviously it worked and Parker went on to play a solid game. The corner three is the most effective spot for players and Stuckey should not have been left wide open like that. I am sure there were moments before that which ultimately led Pop to explode.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not just talking about how he responded last night. I'm talking about throughout his career, Tony has responded well when Pop has been harsh with him. Pop is harder on some players than others, depending on their personalities. For example, he coddled Hedo. He's always rode TP pretty hard.
    True, I believe TP admitted as much.

BTW, if the option was there, I would've voted both. I can't disagree with what TP did even though its Pop's system. Good to know he was doing his homework.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously Pop was right. Stuckey made the shot didn't he?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't talk back to your coach- least of all in a public forum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Pop was right, even if Tony can handle Pop screaming publicly at him,
    I think it's getting old... Tony is a veteran and Pop should keep these reaction to the lockeroom only!

But, as some of you said, maybe that was also directed to the rest of the team! ("see how I treat an all star...")

My concern is not about who was right, but about the public reaction.

Anyway, no big deal...

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was about to aska question to Pops mailbag about his motivation of screaming or riping players. If he still fels he has to do it.
    Well he answered me that question and I think that's good answer.

Veteran or no veteran pro athletes are riped by the coaches all the time. Why Pop should do any exception and not bring emotions to the table? Basketball is emotional sport. It won't do any better if Pop after the game told Tony to be more acurate with his playmaking and close the corner on D.

Thread Information