View Poll Results: Who do you side with?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pop was right

84 58.33%
  • Parker was right

60 41.67%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Popovich is benching Parker and Manu as punishment, then I don't see how he has the respect of anyone on the team.
    Quote from Robert Horry:

“He just treats every individual the same. You’ve got a lot of coaches in this league who won’t yell at superstars on their team. They fear the superstars because they fear for their jobs. Pop doesn't worry about that. He yells at Tim just as much as he yells at the guys at the end of the bench. That way he gets the respect of all players. That's all guys ever want: If you're the top guy or the bottom guy, you just want to be treated the same and work on everything the same as everybody else.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have felt that Parker has benn playing very soft defense for most of the year. Parker may have been right about the play, but Pop getting in his grill about defense can only be a good thing. As a result he did pick up hid D in the fourth quarter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't know what it was about, but it was awkward even through the TV. Even Newman looked caught in the crossfire and I thought everyone seemed jangled, but maybe that's just my feminine perception making a mountain out of a molehill. Anyway, I suspect everyone kissed and made up after the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im sorry parker is a ty defender, and when they say "parker played great defense" they mean he played average defense, i know what im looking at, and you can tell whos a good defender and not, POP is right you let him possibly take the shot, but apply pressure, afterall were in the nba right, i mean i can hit an open three. so yes pop was right, and parker is a weak defender and thats why pop loves having george hill cover his ass, so parker can be lazy and hill can defend parkers guy, it happens all the time. please someone tell me how im wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop was right.....and it would be pops fault if they are playing small ball and/or if the big doesn't transition over to help

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when pop is in ur face, his always right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame Popovich for playing mind games with players - Period. Especially veteran players. There's no excuse for embarrassing players by benching them for extended periods. Parker deserves better than that.
    This.

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I choose Pop and here's why...
    You cannot get caught up and play the percentages on who you're defending in the scheme. It puts too many variables to consider while playing. If TP sticks to Pop's way, there is only that 1 way to play it. And usually, Pop's way works best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stuckey is a .277 3 point shooter, you give him that shot if he wants it 10 times out of 10.
    Not from the corner. ANYWHERE else on the arc, but not the shorty. It's too easy, even for a sketchy shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have felt that Parker has benn playing very soft defense for most of the year. Parker may have been right about the play, but Pop getting in his grill about defense can only be a good thing. As a result he did pick up hid D in the fourth quarter.
    His defense has been for ALL YEAR. Pop getting in his grill for that one play is probably a bit of a boil over in the making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame Popovich for playing mind games with players - Period. Especially veteran players. There's no excuse for embarrassing players by benching them for extended periods. Parker deserves better than that.
    Minds games are when the player doesn't understand why something happens, or different standards are applied to different players, or discipline is inconsistent. That's totally NOT Pop. If you get pulled, it's IMMEDIATELY clear why.

If you think Pop pulls players to embarrass them, you're either projecting yourself into the situation, or you don't understand Pop or the Spurs AT ALL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side with Pop, our d is based on closing out on 3 point shooters and trusting in your help rotations behind you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with Pop.

If Tim Duncan can hit an open 3, then any guard can do it, even one who shoots 20%.

Plus, angry Pop mode = championship

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stuckey is a .277 3 point shooter, you give him that shot if he wants it 10 times out of 10.
    Nonsense. How many of his .277% shots have been uncontested corner 3s? If you check out the stats closer you'll see Stuckey's very good from the corner and his percentage from there is much higher than .277.

No possible way to defend Parker's play in this situation and I'm pretty sure he'd admit it himself.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't comment on the play too much as i didn't get to see it. Knowing Tony Parker's D i would say the fault lies with him. When dealing with the drive Tony tends to give too much room backing off. If Stucky's strength is the drive then that is something Tone would of had on his mind. Spurs team D requires players to close out on the preimeter especially if there was some-one ready to back him up or the opposing team can light it up from outside.. The main reason im siding with Pop how-ever is that if that's what the coach wants , i don't go by my own scouting reports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna go with Pop on this one. I understand what TP was doing, and that wasn't stupid, but right now the Spurs are trying to become a better defensive team, and Parker's been streaky from that angle.
    So go ahead Pop, rip him, he might be more perfectionnist next time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna go with Pop on this one. I understand what TP was doing, and that wasn't stupid, but right now the Spurs are trying to become a better defensive team, and Parker's been streaky from that angle.
    So go ahead Pop, rip him, he might be more perfectionnist next time.
    I agree but if doing that the guy makes an easy lay up driving inside, everybody would have said, TP your why you have let him driving ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I didn't see the play, and I don't know if he could have backed down quick enough to defend in case Stuckey wanted to go to the rack.

But I was talking about the Spurs being a better defensive team, not just TP. They should have been ready to help defense, which I don't know if they were.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I side with Parker.

(allthough i accidentally voted for Pop)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I go with Pop for a number of reasons.
    1. He is the couch and he has the final say in how the game is to be played. Every player will get the same treatment if he does not follow the rule of Pop. One of the reasons I love the Spurs.
    2. There might have been more to the discussion than just that corner 3. IMO, it seemed that Tony did not closes out then and in general was him being slow on defense.
    3. As the other posters mentioned, the Spurs defense is close on the corner 3, hand in the face. When the Spurs do this, it causes the other team to rush a shot they think they are finally open on, or scares them off the line.
    4. Consistency. The team has enough things to think about to allow each player to start figuring shooting percentages and reacting as they see fit. Stick to the plan and make it easy for everyone to know what is going on.
    5. In the end Tony came back on the court and ripped it up. I think Tony and Pop need an occasional blow up for get the rest of the team's attention to the game. See rule 1.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If Stucky appears somehow beyond Tony's control then probably Pop and Tony will reach the consensus that the game is done and Tony will gladly accept to sit on bench resting the remainder of it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn´t watch. Reading the posts, it looks like 51% Pop / 49% TP.
    TP did the right thing, imo.
    But Pop is the coach.

Anyway, I can understand both having an exchange of words during a game. It gets heated. Emotions come out. They are not robots.
    It´s good to see actually. It means they give a damn about the game.

Not a big deal.

Spurs fan from Hong Kong team-work's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also didn't watch the game, and it is really difficult to choose who to side with. But I tend to agree with Pop, the reasons for which have mostly been stated by other posters.

Bottomline is Parker grew up under this harsh father-and-son relationship. Despite the exchange of words, Parker respects Pop & Pop cares his players.

It is an interesting poll, nevertheless.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Even if you believe that it's okay for a player to decide on the fly how deep to close-out on a shooter (and this is highly unusual, I remember Isiah Thomas using this approach when he was coaching Indiana - especially on defending the ballscreen - and the results were catastrophic), Parker didn't make the right call: Stuckey is so good with that shot that his team runs plays to get him that exact shot in the final possession of a game (a reason why the scouting used for game planning is way more advanced than just checking the shooting percentage of players). What's so hard to understand about this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i always rather give up a three point attempt than a lay-up or high % shot, specially if the shooter averages 14% from that area, so i'm with tony.
    + 1

Thread Information