My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hints of a Better Defense
    by Timothy Varner

Years ago Gregg Popovich participated in a coaching clinic in Belgrade, and part of his work there included preparing two articles for FIBA Assist Magazine on the Spurs’ game philosophy. In those articles Popovich discussed the Spurs’ approach to defending the corner three–a high priority for every Popovich-coached defense–in this way:

One of the best positions for shooting is when the player is positioned in the corner on the ball side. The majority of coaches want their players to try and stop the penetration by moving the defender X4 to play this defensive role. I do just the opposite. A defender from the angle never helps on penetration because I won’t let the offense make a shot from the corner [emphasis mine]. This defensi-ve concept is, among other things, one of the reasons why San Antonio was second in the NBA defensive statistics for the lowest percentage of three-point shots made by opponents [2002-3].

Keep reading →

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Spurs began the season ranked in the 20s in terms of defensive efficiency. As of this morning, the Spurs have inched their way into 7th."

Thread Information