View Poll Results: Who do you side with?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pop was right

84 58.33%
  • Parker was right

60 41.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony is motivated when Pop rips him, so it can't be a bad thing that it happened. Some players don't respond well to that kind of treatment, but Tony does.
    The fact that Parker happened to respond well or play well afterward in no way means that the coach made a good decision, any more than it means that Parker made a bad defensive play when a 15 percent three point shooter actually knocked one down.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker will be playing better D now. Thanks Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with TP on this one, I don't think TP was lazy at that time, he clearly wanted to avoid a Stuckey driving to the hoop but he should know that Pop hates leaving an open shot. I think if TP let shaq taking a 3 he will yell at him !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is just ing with y'alls heads. It's regular season after all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that Parker happened to respond well or play well afterward in no way means that the coach made a good decision, any more than it means that Parker made a bad defensive play when a 15 percent three point shooter actually knocked one down.
    I'm not just talking about how he responded last night. I'm talking about throughout his career, Tony has responded well when Pop has been harsh with him. Pop is harder on some players than others, depending on their personalities. For example, he coddled Hedo. He's always rode TP pretty hard.

Master of Information Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had seats right next to the Spurs bench and could clearly read Pop's lips and say "What did you say?!?" and then "Just sit your ass down!"

It was quite amusing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as for the play, was that clearly intentional from TP or was it a lazy play ?
    Watching the replay, it doesn't look too much like a lazy play. TP got to the spot on the court pretty quickly, he just picked a spot about five feet away to protect against the drive.

I had misunderstood them to have been yelling about a couple of offensive sets that didn't go the way Pop wanted. I thought I saw Pop call tony over after a foul call on our end and tony was gesturing at our basket and arguing with him. I thought he pulled him after the next play.
    The next stoppage in front of the Spurs bench was after TP got fouled and was going to the line. Pop had to wait for the deal ball after that one to yank him. The timing made it somewhat confusing about what the issue was.

My second rule is that the player with the
    ball can never penetrate to the middle of
    the court. Our goal is to always direct him
    to the baseline. If the defender of the
    player with the ball lets the penetration into
    the middle, I will immediatly take that
    player out of the game." - Gregg Popovich (excerpt from "The Game Philosophy of the San Antonio Spurs")
    Also known as the Richard Jefferson rule this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Punishing all-stars like they're children doesn't earn respect. He didn't bench Parker and Manu for mistakes when they were rookies. Holding everyone to the same standard is admirable, but treating everyone like Francisco Elson or Beno Udrih is outright insanity.
    It's not about a pissing match. Quite simply, the philosophy comes first. It is bigger than any all-star's ego. Players believe in the philosophy because they have seen it work. They adhere to it because they know it can deliver. Once a player's ego prevents that, I'm sure they won't last here in S.A.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had seats right next to the Spurs bench and could clearly read Pop's lips and say "What did you say?!?" and then "Just sit your ass down!"

It was quite amusing.
    DrGonzo-your avatar makes it hard to read your posts. Gives me a headache. Just saying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm with TP on this one, Stuckey is terrible from 3 but explode to the basket very fast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It was quite amusing.
    They really have kind of father / children relationship even after all these years. One day TP will have to kill the father but I think that Pop will remain the most influencing person for TP carreer. IMHO the TP nba future is closely tight to this relation.

Master of Information Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DrGonzo-your avatar makes it hard to read your posts. Gives me a headache. Just saying
    Yeah I was trying it out but I don't think I like it. I'm probably gonna go back to the midget in a hover round throwing her hands up because they are playing her song and her butterflies have flown away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching Pop rip Parker last night was pretty amusing though. There's also no denying Parker can be quite lazy on D. Parker sure played better after the exchange.

I think Pop is right though. You adhere to the team's philosophy, and he's the coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching the replay, it doesn't look too much like a lazy play. TP got to the spot on the court pretty quickly, he just picked a spot about five feet away to protect against the drive.

The next stoppage in front of the Spurs bench was after TP got fouled and was going to the line. Pop had to wait for the deal ball after that one to yank him. The timing made it somewhat confusing about what the issue was.

My second rule is that the player with the
    ball can never penetrate to the middle of
    the court. Our goal is to always direct him
    to the baseline. If the defender of the
    player with the ball lets the penetration into
    the middle, I will immediatly take that
    player out of the game." - Gregg Popovich (excerpt from "The Game Philosophy of the San Antonio Spurs")
    Also known as the Richard Jefferson rule this season
    True. Tony broke Rule 1, though, and Pop pulls the guy out who breaks Rule 1 or Rule 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I was trying it out but I don't think I like it. I'm probably gonna go back to the midget in a hover round throwing her hands up because they are playing her song and her butterflies have flown away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Punishing all-stars like they're children doesn't earn respect.
    Yes, it does. When a coach doesn't give a star player a special treatment and punishes or compliments any of his players equally, he earns the respect of the entire team.

He didn't bench Parker and Manu for mistakes when they were rookies.
    Yes, he did. In fact Manu was in the dog house for a long time bacause of an argument he had with Pop.

Holding everyone to the same standard is admirable, but treating everyone like Francisco Elson or Beno Udrih is outright insanity.
    He repremends when he has to and compliments when he has to, is not like he treats all his player badly all the time.

January Championship Banner? td4mvp21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I side with Parker on this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.fiba.com/downloads/assist...5/mag_0305.pdf

The quote listed above from Pop was taken from this article written by Pop for a FIBA sponsored coaches clinic in Belgrade in the summer of 2003 (p. 20). It's old but it's still Pop's philosophy. Sorry TP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not just talking about how he responded last night. I'm talking about throughout his career, Tony has responded well when Pop has been harsh with him. Pop is harder on some players than others, depending on their personalities. For example, he coddled Hedo. He's always rode TP pretty hard.
    I have never seen Pop yell at his favorite one, Hill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get where Pop is coming from. I understand that in this particular situation, the facts of Stuckey's poor 3 point shooting lend some credence to what Tony did. But if Pop's rule is that you close out the corner 3, I don't know that it changes if the guy shooting the corner 3 happens to be a poor shooter.

And I think the point is to be sure that nobody thinks that it's okay -- in a big moment down the road -- to stop short of the close out just because he thinks the shooter might be unlikely to make the shot. I get that Parker has earned the benefit of the doubt by making plenty of good decisions, but there are other people on this roster who will undoubtedly be reminded that you close out on the corner 3 by this event. If failing to do that costs Tony Parker time, the need to follow that concept (whatever you might think of the concept) is paramount with Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get where Pop is coming from. I understand that in this particular situation, the facts of Stuckey's poor 3 point shooting lend some credence to what Tony did. But if Pop's rule is that you close out the corner 3, I don't know that it changes if the guy shooting the corner 3 happens to be a poor shooter.

And I think the point is to be sure that nobody thinks that it's okay -- in a big moment down the road -- to stop short of the close out just because he thinks the shooter might be unlikely to make the shot. I get that Parker has earned the benefit of the doubt by making plenty of good decisions, but there are other people on this roster who will undoubtedly be reminded that you close out on the corner 3 by this event. If failing to do that costs Tony Parker time, the need to follow that concept (whatever you might think of the concept) is paramount with Pop.
    It's a good point, yelling at one of the big 3 has value of example for the others. maybe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep Players 1-15...Pop will get after every single one of them, if it is merited, Timmy and TP included.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.fiba.com/downloads/assist...5/mag_0305.pdf

The quote listed above from Pop was taken from this article written by Pop for a FIBA sponsored coaches clinic in Belgrade in the summer of 2003 (p. 20). It's old but it's still Pop's philosophy. Sorry TP.

jeeez man !

Thank you very much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It did not look like a lazy play. TP made the right decision although the execution could have been a little better. 2 feet close would have sufficed.

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had misunderstood them to have been yelling about a couple of offensive sets that didn't go the way Pop wanted. I thought I saw Pop call tony over after a foul call on our end and tony was gesturing at our basket and arguing with him. I thought he pulled him after the next play.
    I thought he got pulled after he made a bonehead play on the offensive end where he took a bad shot while he had several people open. right after that he got pulled.

Thread Information