Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1628
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL Kobe trying his ass off in a meaningless game, if he can't get the MVP during the reg. season he might as well try to get it in the All star game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kobe was actually getting sexually excited as Stern was announcing his stats.. Thank god his sole reason for playing in the game was a success. He won a giant plastic troghy..

I ♥ adrienne&ashbeeigh vato loco's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LOL Kobe trying his ass off in a meaningless game, if he can't get the MVP during the reg. season he might as well try to get it in the All star game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...er_career.html

All this insane love for the player with (currently) ONLY the 17th best PER of all time?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...er_career.html

All this insane love for the player with (currently) ONLY the 17th best PER of all time?
    There is a lot more to the game than PER. Even your godsend PER creator has acknowledged that.

Can I now hear your argument for DRob being the 4th greatest player of all time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting a team I would take Duncan or Robinson anytime in their prime over Kobe - perimeter players a dime a dozen and Duncan and Robinson never failed to lead teams to playoffs when healthy unlike the vastly over-rated Bryant, who until gifted Gasol - Bynum and Odom was a lost cause as a leader.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously how anyone can ever root or have passion for Kobe is beyond me - a great, great basketball player but conceited, disloyal etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a lot more to the game than PER. Even your godsend PER creator has acknowledged that.

Can I now hear your argument for DRob being the 4th greatest player of all time?
    Well Jordan being number one kind of limits that arguement somewhat and Robinson in his prime is arguebly the most under-rated great NBA player of all time (there was a reason he started on one of the dream teams over Shaq and Ewing)- wake me also when Kobe ever has a quadruple double and for all of Kobe's athletic skill it palls bigtime to that of Robinson, and Robinson is easily the greater man and person and not far behind Kobe as a basketball player either.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well Jordan being number one kind of limits that arguement somewhat and Robinson in his prime is arguebly the most under-rated great NBA player of all time (there was a reason he started on one of the dream teams over Shaq and Ewing)- wake me also when Kobe ever has a quadruple double and for all of Kobe's athletic skill it palls bigtime to that of Robinson, and Robinson is easily the greater man and person and not far behind Kobe as a basketball player either.
    Ohhhh I'm sorry. I didn't realize that PER took off the court antics and personality into consideration.

I would never debate that Kobe is a better person than DRob... that's absurd. I have gone on record many times with my distaste for some of Kobe's actions.

So back to your PER comments. So you agree that DRob is the 4th best player of all time? Its a yes or no question.

And why does Jordan having the highest PER limit any argument?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Seriously how anyone can ever root or have passion for Kobe is beyond me - a great, great basketball player but conceited, disloyal etc.
    Im a Laker fan. He's a Laker. He's been a key figure in 5 les for us. We are not rooting for the person but the team.

Are you saying when your boy Neal shoots you root against him? When TP plays great you dont root or have a passion for his play?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Jeanie Buss tweet this morning: "Came 2 office w/Phil @ 9:45 am Practice @ 11 only 1 other car here. Phil says "Kobe's here before me" & then smiles."

Like him or not, the SOB works hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like him or not, the SOB works hard.
    As much as I dislike Kobe, that's the one thing I can't take away from him.

Dude has the drive

ambchang is my bitch Daddy_Of_All_Trolls's Avatar
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I'll make a topic out of this if no one replies. I had to do that last time I contributed something worthwhile to this thread....Or maybe a Lakers fan will run with a new topic about it.

Anyway, we have all seen stats about Kobe not being clutch in the last 24 seconds. One can create desired statistics easily enough. Look what happened when 24 seconds was changed to 10 seconds. I found this surfing Lakers sites:

http://thelakersnation.com/forums/to...ebron-vs-kobe/

I'm sure you guys have seen the stat of this year's Miami Heat: In the last 10 seconds of the 4th or overtime, with the Heat tied or down 1-3pts (one FG), the Heat are shooting 1-18 this season...

We've seen some numbers and blah blah come out showing how Kobe isn't that clutch, or whatever with clutch being defined in various ways (last 5 minutes, last 2 minutes, each team up or down 5... etc).

I like the 10 second clutch stat (FGM-FGA in the last 10 seconds of the 4th or OT, with the player's team tied or down 1-3) as a different look on things than we've had in the past because:
    A. That means it's basically last second shot time
    B. It's when your team is tied or down one shot.. which is much different and feels different than you getting a FGA with your team up 3. In this definition, if you miss, you lose or go into OT for sure basically.

I took it upon myself to go through ESPN play-by-plays of Lebron and Kobe (for obvious reasons) to see what the stats show under this definition of clutch. Since I started doing this at 4am, I only got a few seasons done, but I'll post anyways and hope to continue my research tomorrow.

So here you have it, Lebron and Kobe's "Last 10sec" Clutch stats for 08-09 (Lebron's first MVP) til present.

Lebron James
    08-09: 1-4 (25%)
    09-10: 1-8 (12.5%)
    10-11: 1-8 (12.5%)
    Total (through last 3 seasons): 3-20 (15%)

Kobe Bryant
    08-09: 2-6 (33.3%)
    09-10: 7-11 (63.6%)
    10-11: 1-3 (33.3%)
    Total (through last 3 seasons): 10-20 (50%)

Funny enough, they have the same exact amount of attempts. Not the same amount of makes though.

He promsies an update for earlier seasons, we'll see later.

jthelps.wordpress.com
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    nice find and post DoAT

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll make a topic out of this if no one replies. I had to do that last time I contributed something worthwhile to this thread....Or maybe a Lakers fan will run with a new topic about it.

Anyway, we have all seen stats about Kobe not being clutch in the last 24 seconds. One can create desired statistics easily enough. Look what happened when 24 seconds was changed to 10 seconds. I found this surfing Lakers sites:

http://thelakersnation.com/forums/to...ebron-vs-kobe/

I'm sure you guys have seen the stat of this year's Miami Heat: In the last 10 seconds of the 4th or overtime, with the Heat tied or down 1-3pts (one FG), the Heat are shooting 1-18 this season...

We've seen some numbers and blah blah come out showing how Kobe isn't that clutch, or whatever with clutch being defined in various ways (last 5 minutes, last 2 minutes, each team up or down 5... etc).

I like the 10 second clutch stat (FGM-FGA in the last 10 seconds of the 4th or OT, with the player's team tied or down 1-3) as a different look on things than we've had in the past because:
    A. That means it's basically last second shot time
    B. It's when your team is tied or down one shot.. which is much different and feels different than you getting a FGA with your team up 3. In this definition, if you miss, you lose or go into OT for sure basically.

I took it upon myself to go through ESPN play-by-plays of Lebron and Kobe (for obvious reasons) to see what the stats show under this definition of clutch. Since I started doing this at 4am, I only got a few seasons done, but I'll post anyways and hope to continue my research tomorrow.

So here you have it, Lebron and Kobe's "Last 10sec" Clutch stats for 08-09 (Lebron's first MVP) til present.

Lebron James
    08-09: 1-4 (25%)
    09-10: 1-8 (12.5%)
    10-11: 1-8 (12.5%)
    Total (through last 3 seasons): 3-20 (15%)

Kobe Bryant
    08-09: 2-6 (33.3%)
    09-10: 7-11 (63.6%)
    10-11: 1-3 (33.3%)
    Total (through last 3 seasons): 10-20 (50%)

Funny enough, they have the same exact amount of attempts. Not the same amount of makes though.

He promsies an update for earlier seasons, we'll see later.
    Where is Killakobe and Mike D to tell us how these stats are over rated and mean nothing .

Seriously though, these stats are an accurate representation. I would expect Kobe to be at the top of the league in FG makes in the last 10 seconds since he is probably the best difficult shot maker in NBA history... although the accurate FG% does surprise me a little bit. To me there is no doubt that Kobe is one of the best in these situations and it doesnt surprise me that he is > LeBron with under 10 seconds to go.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA At 2: Is Kobe Overrated?
    By: Bill Ingram
    Hoopsworld

Every once in a while it seems the world of die-hard NBA fans finds a dividing line and a chasm is created somewhere down the middle. In today's example, the chasm lies between Camp Kobe and Camp LeBron. When asked who the best player in the modern NBA is, rational or not, these are the top two answers, and the campers on either side of the debate are particularly passionate about not only how right they are, but also how wrong anyone who believes otherwise is. Some would even suggest that Kobe is overrated. But is he?

First, let's set some expectations. Before someone can be overrated we have to talk about what the rating is to begin with. There are a number of facts that have to be considered. First, Kobe has five championship rings, more than any current NBA player and only one less than Michael Jordan, arguably the best player of all time. Sure, Bill Russell might object to that classification, but Russell played in an NBA so different from today's that we might as well be comparing Jordan to Pele or Earl Campbell.

So Kobe has five championship rings. He also scored 82 points in a game once, but one game does not a Hall-Of-Famer make. Kobe is a loyal Laker, which has to count for something in an age where loyalty is all but dead. Rather than bolt when Shaquille O'Neal was traded, he took a stronger and more overt interest in the well-being of the team. He pressured GM Mitch Kupchak to land another big fish when the team took a temporary downturn, and as a result Pau Gasol landed in purple and gold. Kobe then rode Gasol every day until Gasol first exploded and then raised his own level of intensity to rival Kobe's, resulting in two championships and counting.

So Kobe has five championship rings, team loyalty, he takes a personal interest of the development of the players around him and makes them better, and he's also an Olympic gold medalist, by the way. He's been the NBA Finals MVP twice, regular season MVP once, he's a 13-time All-Star, eight-time All-NBA First Team, two-time All-NBA Second Team, two-time All-NBA Third Team, two-time All-Defensive Second Team, four-time All-Star MVP and even won the 1997 slam dunk compe ion. Sound like anyone else we know? Someone who played basketball like a Bull in a china shop?

How do we rate a player like that? We're talking about one of the top five players of all time, perhaps even top three. We're also talking about a first ballot Hall-Of-Famer even if he never wins another le, and Kobe is far from finished. We're also talking about, in this reporter's opinion, the best player in the modern NBA.

Keep in mind, that when we talk about the best player, we have to talk about championships. Greatness in professional sports is always defined by championships. It's not the only defining characteristic, but it's a significant part of the discussion.

Who, then, is in Kobe's class in the modern NBA? Tim Duncan, arguably the best power forward of all time, who has four championship rings? Shaquille O'Neal, perhaps, though his career dissipation light is blinking red . . .and that's the end of the discussion. Not LeBron James, the most celebrated yet undecorated player in the NBA. Not Dirk Nowitzki, the best international player to ever grace the NBA hardwoods. No one.

In order for Kobe Bryant to be overrated someone has to be giving a label or distinction which he hasn't earned. If we're calling him God, he's overrated. If we're calling him the next Michael Jordan, he's overrated. But calling him the best player in the modern NBA is hard to dispute. The price of admission to the discussion is five championship rings in which the player in question was a primary force behind the le (which excludes only Robert Horry).

Kobe Bryant is the modern gold standard.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=19225

ambchang is my bitch Daddy_Of_All_Trolls's Avatar
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I find it interesting that this writer doesn't diminish any of Kobe's rings as a sidekick, which is how it should be. Fans on message boards think otherwise. Rings are a team accomplishment. Every multiple ring superstar had help, Russell, Jordan, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, and Bird. Multiple ring scrubs like Robert Horry and many of Russell's cohorts were basically along for the ride. When Jordan was beasting in the 80's, the media was calling for him to get some teammates so he could go deeper in the playoffs, which he finally did.

Is Kobe the best player today? That of course is debatable. However, if Kobe keeps ringing, the future will end up raising his stock, that's my best guess. It happened to Russell already, he's overrated. It will happen to Kobe as well.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Off-topic but relevant: NBA Feature on Brian Shaw

Yes I'm a troll. Happy? SourCandy's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wow, Rummpd's posts ITT are absolutely brutal. And that's coming from someone who would take prime Duncan over prime Kobe, thinks Popovich is the best coach in the league, and has a man crush on David Robinson.

But goddamn, your posts about Kobe are bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe Bryant Named NBA Western Conference Player of the Week

MAGIC'S HOWARD AND LAKERS' BRYANT NAMED NBA EASTERN AND WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

NEW YORK, March 28, 2011 – The Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard and Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant today were named the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week, respectively, for games played Monday, March 21, through Sunday, March 27.

Howard led the Magic to a 3-0 week, ranking first in the NBA in rebounds (14.3 rpg) and field goal percentage (.711). He has led the team in scoring 50 times and in rebounding 65 times this season. Howard extended his franchise record double-double streak to 30 games with his 21-point, 14-rebound performance against New Jersey. He now has 60 double-doubles on the season, which ranks second in the NBA. This is Howard's sixth Player of the Week award this season.

Bryant paced the league in scoring, averaging 36.3 points, in leading the Lakers to a 3-0 week. In the process, Los Angeles extended its winning streak to seven games. On March 22, Bryant scored a season-high 42 points to go along with 12 rebounds and nine assists in a triple overtime victory over the Suns. It was the 107th 40-point game of his career.

Here is a recap of the week for Howard and Bryant:
    Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
    March 21 @ Cleveland: Scored 28 points to go along with 18 rebounds, four blocks, four steals and four steals in a 97-86 win over the Cavaliers
    March 23 @ New York: Recorded 33 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks in a 111-99 win over the Knicks.
    March 25 vs. New Jersey: Posted 21 points, 14 rebounds, three blocks and two steals in a 99-85 win over the Nets.

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
    March 22 vs. Phoenix: Tallied 42 points to go along with 12 rebounds and nine assists in a 139-137 win over the Suns
    March 25 vs. L.A. Clippers: Scored 37 points to go along with six assists and four rebounds in a 112-104 win over the Clippers.
    March 27 @ New Orleans: Recorded 30 points, five assists, three rebounds and two steals in a 102-84 victory over the Hornets.
    Other nominees for the Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Memphis' Tony Allen and Zach Randolph, Miami's Chris Bosh, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook and Sacramento's Marcus Thornton.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/110328kobebryantpow.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Dryer than Kunta's ankles Ashy Larry's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

this was very touching .... i remember when this happened and can't believe so much time has flown by .... just a tragic story.

Thread Information