Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.semissourian.com/story/2102113.html

Man charged after pit bull attacks 7-year-old girl

Sunday, July 20, 2014
    By Emily Priddy ~ Southeast Missourian
    A Perryville, Missouri, man is facing a criminal charge after his dog mauled a young neighbor, Perry County Sheriff Gary Schaaf said Friday.
    A pit bull owned by Christopher Gaulding, 26, of Perryville attacked a 7-year-old girl who came into Gaulding's yard July 9, Schaaf said.
    "It chewed this little girl's arm up pretty good," he said.
    Because the dog bit another child about a year ago, authorities charged Gaulding with a misdemeanor, Schaaf said.
    The dog was on a chain in its yard when it attacked the little girl, Schaaf said.
    He said a woman two doors down heard what was going on and called her husband, who came after the dog with a broomstick, Schaaf said.
    The dog was standing over the child, but when the man approached with the broomstick, it charged after him, giving the girl a chance to roll to safety, Schaaf said.
    "We've taken the dog," he said. "We've got it sequestered and given [Gaulding] notice he's got 10 days to appeal us putting him down."
    Under state law, if a dog that previously has bitten a person or domestic animal without provocation subsequently bites another person, the owner can be charged with a crime.
    The law also calls for the dog to be seized and held for 10 days before being destroyed.
    If the owner appeals within the 10-day period, the dog remains impounded while the appeal is pending, the law states, with a disposition hearing to be held within 30 days to determine whether the dog should be put down.
    The law does not apply to dogs that attack would-be criminals, such as a burglar breaking into a home.
    [email protected]
    388-3642
    Pertinent address:
    Perryville, MO

© Copyright 2014 Southeast Missourian. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Fact Check
    See inaccurate information in this story?

Comments Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. If you feel that a comment is offensive, please Login or Create an account first, and then you will be able to flag a comment as objectionable. Please also note that those who post comments on semissourian.com may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
    Show comments (5)
    Poor child!
    -- Posted by Spinning on Sat, Jul 19, 2014, at 12:04 PM

What do you mean poor child? More like idiot parents. The dog was on a chain in the owners yard. Now his dog is probably being put down because some irresponsible parents are incapable of properly monitoring their child. Some dogs are territorial. It's the other parties fault. If this had been a grown man trespassing (yes, that's what it was, even for being a small child), don't you think this story would have a different tone? Yeah, it does suck for the child, but this is not the fault of the dogs owner if he has the dog properly restrained.
    -- Posted by Yale5683 on Sat, Jul 19, 2014, at 8:46 PM

It is a tragedy that the girl was hurt, but the dog was on a chain. It isn't right to put the dog down for defending his territory. The owner should have to pay the girl's medical bills and place the dog in a totally enclosed, padlocked kennel where he can't get out unless the owner lets him out.
    -- Posted by RELee on Sun, Jul 20, 2014, at 1:46 AM

The parents of the child should be charged with neglect. If they had been supervising the child this never would have happened. The owner had the dog on a chain on his own property for goodness sakes.
    -- Posted by laura63701 on Sun, Jul 20, 2014, at 9:22 AM

Regardless of whether the parents were negligent or not it is sad that a child is hurt. That is what I meant by that statement. I'm not blaming the owner nor the parents. Good Grief!
    -- Posted by Spinning on Sun, Jul 20, 2014, at 9:30 AM

Respond to this story
    Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on seMissourian.com or semoball.com, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.
    Username:
    Password: (Forgot your password?) Your comments:
    Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.

Map of pertinent addresses

Map DataMap data ©2014 Google

Map Data
    Map data ©2014 Google

Map data ©2014 Google

Terms of Use

Report a map error

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-cour...tack-1.1722205
    Woman dies in pitbull attack

July 18 2014 at 04:11pm
    By SAPA
    Comment on this story

East London - A woman has been killed by pitbulls in Baysville, East London, Eastern Cape police said on Friday.
    The incident happened at 11.30pm on Thursday, said Captain Stephen Marais.
    The woman was walking on a road behind some friends when she was attacked.
    “At this point in time, it cannot be confirmed how many dogs attacked her as there were two full grown and two small pitbulls in the yard,” he said.
    The 45-year-old woman was declared dead on the scene.
    The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) was called in to remove the dogs.
    Police have opened an inquest docket.
    Sapa

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/4-year-old-mauled-death-pit-bulls-florida-officials-article-1.1874267

4-year-old boy mauled to death by pit bulls in Florida: officials

The tyke was visiting the Riverview home of his aunt and uncle when he was left alone. The adults heard screaming and then found the boy in the front yard with the dogs standing over him, police said.

the associated press
    Monday, July 21, 2014, 2:45 AM

• A
    • A
    • A

Share this URL

Facebook Four-year-old Logan Shepard died after being mauled by two pit bulls while visiting his uncle in the Tampa Bay area, police said.
    RIVERVIEW, Fla. — A 4-year-old boy in the Tampa Bay area has died after being mauled by his uncle’s two pit bulls, authorities said Sunday.
    Logan Shepard was visiting the Riverview home of his aunt and uncle with his mother Saturday night. Billy Frederick Sr., Logan’s uncle, put the dogs in crates just before the boy arrived, said the Hillsborough County sheriff’s office.
    Logan was left alone, eating ice cream, while his mother, a teen cousin and the other adults were talking in another room. The adults heard screaming and discovered the boy was not in the house, police said. Logan was found in the front yard with the dogs standing over him.
    The dogs were taken by the county’s Animal Services

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz38FeNPVCT

Cute kid. Doesn't matter whose fault it is in this case, just hate to see stuff like this happen to an innocent kid with his whole life ahead of him.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Florida again...

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    10 dogs most often blacklisted by insurers

http://www.bankrate.com/lite/insuran...ic_id=tb_11051

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ^---- I can see the point regarding most of those breeds... except for Great Danes, very nice and friendly in my experience.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Can't wait for the day this breed gets banned.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers
    http://clapper.blog.971theriver.com/...ulls-testicles/

Woman Arrested For Biting Off Pit Bull’s Testicles

By dclapper420

MADISON, West Virginia –
    Witnesses told police this week that they pleaded with Boone county resident, Audrey Ranch, 62, to stop hurting her son’s pit bull, but she refused.
    “Eventually she bit Pedro’s acorns clean off right there in the front yard,” a witness said. “Pedro hightailed it screeching like a wild Indian and when I tried to subdue Audrey, she knocked me out with an old tricycle.”
    Realizing the police had been called and knowing she had time to hide (it is a 45 minute drive to her house), Mrs. Ranch cut off a length of garden hose, dug a hole and had her son help bury her. She used the garden hose as a breathing apparatus.
    Officers from the Boone County Sheriff’s Office arrived, unburied Ranch and arrested her without incident.
    Ranch explained her actions to police: “My son ate all the meat and I had warned him if he ate all the meat, I’d eat his dog.”
    The dog underwent emergency surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. Ranch is facing charges of aggravated animal cruelty.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Can't wait for the day this breed gets banned.
    I just had to put to dogs down in less than a month. Blue nose pit who was paralyzed and a toy fox terrier who had failing kidneys and a tumor on her stomach. Rescued two beautiful pits this weekend 6 months old and 3 months old. This will be pit 4 and 5 for me. Best breed I've ever owned. First one was a therapy dog. I'd show you pictures but I don't want to scare you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just had to put to dogs down in less than a month. Blue nose pit who was paralyzed and a toy fox terrier who had failing kidneys and a tumor on her stomach. Rescued two beautiful pits this weekend 6 months old and 3 months old. This will be pit 4 and 5 for me. Best breed I've ever owned. First one was a therapy dog. I'd show you pictures but I don't want to scare you.
    Sorry to hear that. It's tough. And 2 so close together. I have a 16 year old mixed breed (dog Avante) that is not doing well. Going to have to make a decision soon I fear.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Sorry to hear that. It's tough. And 2 so close together. I have a 16 year old mixed breed (dog Avante) that is not doing well. Going to have to make a decision soon I fear.
    The toy fox lived a long life of 12 years, blind for 5 so that was a bit easier. The blue nose was only 6 years old so that was really tough. Came home one day and his back legs were paralyzed. Kept him caged confined for a month and a half, vet said it could get better and the growth on his spine only got worse. He was in too much pain to keep him living. ing sucked.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The toy fox lived a long life of 12 years, blind for 5 so that was a bit easier. The blue nose was only 6 years old so that was really tough. Came home one day and his back legs were paralyzed. Kept him caged confined for a month and a half, vet said it could get better and the growth on his spine only got worse. He was in too much pain to keep him living. ing sucked.
    That's terrible. Not knowing if he'll get better or not. Playing God to a certain extent. I always try to put myself in their place. Ours has arthritis and some days it's very bad. Had a friend say that we should put her down. I just kept thinking that with something that comes and goes, I'd want to deal with the pain and live for the good days. But you had a way different situation. I've been lucky that my last one passed away at 18 in her sleep. Nothing in the world like a great dog but losing them is like losing family. Anyway, glad you found some new buds.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

My future mauler, dreaming about all the throats he's gonna tear out

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Nice pup. I'd love to own a pit again but with 3 rescue dogs and two Irish Wolfhounds on the way the house is full.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have yet to meet a pitbull that wasn't a people person, even to an annoying extent, tbh..great dogs, generally speaking..of course there are the ghetto trash/White trash that make them unable to tolerate other dogs(which they're prone to if unsocialized IIRC), but you can find that with a large number of other breeds, too, not just pitties..

My dog was bred poorly, they only focused on aesthetics(he's one of the best looking dogs I have ever seen), unfortunately, and despite socializing him throughout his younger years, he's still extremely protective, fear aggressive and bad with strangers..his breed(King Shepherd/German Shepherd) does have a reputation for it, but pitbulls are much more scrutinized for aggressive behavior, for whatever reason..

I understand the fear, it's one thing for a little dog to go at you, but my dog is 120 pounds of mostly muscle and almost the same height and length as a Great Dane, if he even nips a stranger and isn't at fault, I would probably have to euthanize him immediately, sadly..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nice pup. I'd love to own a pit again but with 3 rescue dogs and two Irish Wolfhounds on the way the house is full.
    Thanks. Yeah, too many dogs for me to deal with. This puppy has been enough dealing w/ de-worming, house training and keeping his area clean. Combined w/ the kids I'd kill myself. On the positive, this dog is pretty eager for training. He's pretty much completely house trained and knows about 5 words already.

I have yet to meet a pitbull that wasn't a people person, even to an annoying extent, tbh..great dogs, generally speaking..of course there are the ghetto trash/White trash that make them unable to tolerate other dogs(which they're prone to if unsocialized IIRC), but you can find that with a large number of other breeds, too, not just pitties..
    Agreed. IMO ing chihuahuas are way more aggressive and mean. Almost every chihuahua any of my friends and family have owned are highly territorial, overly possessive of their owners, and I've been bitten more times by a ing chihuahua than any other dog.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings

Beautiful pup. Blues tend to have a lot of skin problems. I spent over a thousand on mine doing blood/skin work to find out what he was allergic to and then changed foods/tons of meds/gave him injections twice a day and nothing worked well. They finally tried out this new drug called Apoquel and that is amazing. It's worked so well they aren't putting new dogs on it because they are backordered for a year. If you ever have any problems with his skin all the treatments they recommend and just get Apoquel. A dollar a pill and it cures all, mine only needed a half pill a day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    That's terrible. Not knowing if he'll get better or not. Playing God to a certain extent. I always try to put myself in their place. Ours has arthritis and some days it's very bad. Had a friend say that we should put her down. I just kept thinking that with something that comes and goes, I'd want to deal with the pain and live for the good days. But you had a way different situation. I've been lucky that my last one passed away at 18 in her sleep. Nothing in the world like a great dog but losing them is like losing family. Anyway, glad you found some new buds.
    Pimp cart

Severely allergic to potatoes so he had his first French fries for his last meal.

His favorite thing to do was riding in the car so he dragged himself all the way outside and got ready to go to the vet to be put down. They were nice enough to do the sedation while he was still in the car so his last memories were at least happy.

He went first and the toy fox terrier shortly after so I buried his ashes with her body. Wasn't digging a grave for his big ass.

Hewitt and Caymus paying their respect at the gravesite

Best buds after day 2 together

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Beautiful pup. Blues tend to have a lot of skin problems. I spent over a thousand on mine doing blood/skin work to find out what he was allergic to and then changed foods/tons of meds/gave him injections twice a day and nothing worked well. They finally tried out this new drug called Apoquel and that is amazing. It's worked so well they aren't putting new dogs on it because they are backordered for a year. If you ever have any problems with his skin all the treatments they recommend and just get Apoquel. A dollar a pill and it cures all, mine only needed a half pill a day.
    My Shepherd has allergies, as well, they don't disturb him from a health perspective, but he used to have severe itching problems whenever Winter ended..severe, he would regularly scratch himself intensely a few times per hour..we tried many trial diets, had him on Vanectyl P for a while, ultimately put him on a hypoallergenic diet, which as worked, fortunately..my girlfriend used to be a Vet Tech, thankfully, she would get everything at cost + half, saved thousands of dollars..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks. Yeah, too many dogs for me to deal with. This puppy has been enough dealing w/ de-worming, house training and keeping his area clean. Combined w/ the kids I'd kill myself. On the positive, this dog is pretty eager for training. He's pretty much completely house trained and knows about 5 words already.

Agreed. IMO ing chihuahuas are way more aggressive and mean. Almost every chihuahua any of my friends and family have owned are highly territorial, overly possessive of their owners, and I've been bitten more times by a ing chihuahua than any other dog.
    Yep..my girl has told me that, as well, that Chihuahuas are the most aggressive breeds she has dealt with at work over the years, one of them even bit through her thumb nail IIRC..

They aren't anywhere near as bad as cats(vicious animals), but most of the aggressive dogs she deals with at work are small breeds..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    My Shepherd has allergies, as well, they don't disturb him from a health perspective, but he used to have severe itching problems whenever Winter ended..severe, he would regularly scratch himself intensely a few times per hour..we tried many trial diets, had him on Vanectyl P for a while, ultimately put him on a hypoallergenic diet, which as worked, fortunately..my girlfriend used to be a Vet Tech, thankfully, she would get everything at cost + half, saved thousands of dollars..
    His would get so bad he'd scratch off all the hair on his ass and he'd scratch his stomach so much his nipples looked like he'd just given birth to a litter of puppies. When I was home I'd put a tshirt on him or wrap him in a sheet but when I'd leave he'd just go to town on himself. That pill I got him on worked wonders. I've got the vet keeping him "alive" right now in the system so if I ever need it again I won't have to go on a waiting list

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, he had some minor irritation after I got him because I was giving him daily flea baths to make sure he was clean.. He started losing some spots of fur where he was chewing, so I used a combination of Sulfodene, and coated the areas with Eucerin.. his fur was back within a week, and he no longer has the flakes in his fur from the dry skin.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep that in mind because his father's coat/skin looks like , but he's always outside and not really maintained like the favorite dog they have over there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yep..my girl has told me that, as well, that Chihuahuas are the most aggressive breeds she has dealt with at work over the years, one of them even bit through her thumb nail IIRC..

They aren't anywhere near as bad as cats(vicious animals), but most of the aggressive dogs she deals with at work are small breeds..
    Every time I visit my Dad, I get sneak attacked by a ing gang of those little bas s.. they try and act cool when you walk up, but the minute my backs to them those gots come straight for my shoes and ankles.. When he's not around I've put my foot under them and launched those ers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Badass .. The red nose is gonna be the when he's grown.

Thread Information