Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Hunker down you hairy Dawgs! romad_20's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Four pit bulls and two puppies in the home were turned over by police to Chicago Animal Care and Control.

A source said the daughter was breeding the dogs, but there was no signs of dogfighting in the house. She told investigators that the dogs were afraid of her father because his voice was loud.
    Sounds like a wonderful home. Breeding pitbulls, check. Run down neighborhood, check. Father with a "loud voice" aka yelling and abusive, check. Yes this was definitely the breed's fault.

Give me a ing break, any dog with a powerful bite can be dangerous. Just like a gun, its the person behind the dog that is responsible for the damage.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Rottweiler, Pit Bull, Doberman, Chow, or German Shepard are not covered if they bite someone in your own yard by many homeowner insurance carriers…Sorry but Golden Retrievers, Pointers & Labradors are not on the banned list…

http://www.247quoteus.com/home/home-...-premiums-dogs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Rottweiler, Pit Bull, Doberman, Chow, or German Shepard are not covered if they bite someone in your own yard by many homeowner insurance carriers…Sorry but Golden Retrievers, Pointers & Labradors are not on the banned list…

http://www.247quoteus.com/home/home-...-premiums-dogs
    What does this have to do with anything? They aren't covered because they of their bite power. Goldens, pointers, labs all have a "soft mouth" where they don't crush fowl when they retrieve them. That's not to say they can't bite the out of you, though. Rotts, Pits, Dobermans, chow and the rest are guard dogs by nature (man-made nature, anyway) so their bite is powerful. This is not that hard to understand.

I've seen dogs of every type be aggressive and 99.9% of the time its not their fault, its the owner who doesn't know how to socialize and care for them. A very small percentage of dogs are neurotic, just like people and there isn't any help, but it doesn't limit itself to one breed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Pit Bull Owner Logic-Pit Bulls dont kill children...The Child must have done something terribel to the Pit-Bull...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Pit Bull Owner Logic-Pit Bulls dont kill children...The Child must have done something terribel to the Pit-Bull...
    Right. I'm not even a pit bull owner. I'm just someone who volunteers at the humane society, owns 4 animals, Mom is a vet and was raised around everything from a kangaroo to a llama. Never been bit by a pit, but sure have by tons of small dogs and a horse. I've never even seen a pit get aggressive in real life, just on TV.

Do you have any idea how many pits are brought into shelters because people want them as a status symbol and don't realize that its a full time job to own, train and care for a dog? They have to be exercised, daily. They have to be trained and socialized. This goes with every dog.

This thread reeks of ignorance towards dogs. People like the girl in the story are the problem. Is there any reason for her to be breeding a dog that requires so much exercise in the inner city? Is there any reason for anyone to be breeding pitbulls or any non-working dog, period? These are the issues people should take issue with, not a breed of dog.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    That's like me telling you to stop breathing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's like me telling you to stop breathing.
    no what you just said is more along the lines of... if you keep breathing who knows, you might end up mauling someone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    This is how I personally feel about Pit bulls...........having know someone that has raised one from a puppy. All dogs can bite and maul someone. Pit bulls just dont stop mauling till you are dead. They never, ever stop their attack at some point like many other breeds will.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nice, but if he ever snaps.......he will rip that cat to shreds and then its your turn!!!
    Ya and IF I decide to drive to taco bell at 2 in the morning there's a good chance I'll get in a car wreck. And IF I go surfing I could get attacked by a shark. And IF I decide to walk out in the rain I could get struck by lightning. ANYTHING'S freaking possible. But you need to get it through your thick ignorant skull that an attack by a pitbull that has been raised up right is just as likely as these other 3 things.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Pit Bulls were bred to mirror the traits of their handler. Hence, it is entirely the fault of nurture when something goes wrong. It isn't to say they can't be dangerous. They can be. But such is way overblown...

Scholarly Publication on media coverage and Pit Bull bias: http://www.forpitssake.org/MediaPitbull.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Either way I would still never get one. Maybe that's all the news reports but it was enough to sway my decision to never allow one in my house.

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Weekly media frenzy.

It's not being ignorant when you dont want to risk your child being mauled by pitbulls. I know other dogs can hurt you too but pits are more aggressive.

If a nationwide law will be made banning this breed, I will vote for it and encourage others to do so.
    There are other breeds of dogs, why get a pitbull? When they attack, they will not stop and let go. Plus, it already has a reputation that tempts those rednecks/thugs to parade them and train them for attacking just to earn streetcred.
    How ignorant. Why would anyone give the government the power to dictate their personal lives? Perhaps we also need a law so you can't walk outside if there is a thunderstorm. Why even think when a bunch of suits 1400 miles away can decide what is best for me?

This is 100% media hype. No one covers all the deaths from dobermans and other breeds (pitbulls make up less than half of all dog assault deaths, media ignores all other killings).

Arguing that they are bred to kill is a pretty bad argument too. People keep pure and hybrid wolves/wolfdogs and they don't go on killing sprees. Predictably, there is no media coverage about those exotic pets.

This thread should be in the political forum as an example of the gullibility of the average person, the uselessness of a collective mind, and an example of how politicians somehow wield so much power.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pitbulls are little league son.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I thought pit bull mauling season didn't start until around April when the dumbass parents let their 2 year olds go play in the sunny backyard to be babysat by "Precious", the family pit bull, while mom watches her novelas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Okay, i fixed it. Is this better??? I grew up in Okla. & my first husband was a bubba, so these are my people.
    I thought pit bull mauling season didn't start until around April when the dumbass parents let their 2 year olds go play in the sunny backyard to be babysat by "Precious", the family pit bull, while Bubba and the missus watch NASCAR.
    Last edited by 2Blonde; 01-20-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Georgia Bulldogs
    This is how I personally feel about Pit bulls...........having know someone that has raised one from a puppy. All dogs can bite and maul someone. Pit bulls just dont stop mauling till you are dead. They never, ever stop their attack at some point like many other breeds will.

You know one person that's raised one dog? That's what you're basing it on?

I would like to ask you another question, how many dog fights have you seen in person? Have you witness two dogs fighting and then stop because one says uncle? Dogs won't stop attacking if they fight, regardless of breed. If a dog gets to the point where they are literally fighting, not nipping, not growling, they will not stop until the other doesn't have the ability to get up or is dead, its a survival instinct.

I have broken up fights between mix breed (non pits) and guess what, you can hit, kick, yell and they don't stop, in fact it just makes them more pissed off. There is one way to break them up and that's grab their back legs and take them off the ground. That's the only way.

I'm not coming after you in this post, but this type of misinformation that people spread that just isn't true.

The sad part is the dogs are caught up in the middle of this stupid that is all to blame on people. You believe pits are made for killing, who did that? One half hates the breed and wants it banned, the other half wants dogs for fighting or status. Its f-ing sucks seeing so many put in shelters and killed b/c of stupid ass people.

If you think pits are horrible, you should really watch Dogtown with the Vick dogs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    As I've said before, they already have the reputation of being the meanest dogs and a symbol of toughness thus creating a temptation for idiots to own one and not training them properly.
    The only way you can discourage irresponsible ownership is to ban this breed so people cant get them. (yes, there is still the underground dog fighting ring but that's a different story)

I just hate seeing another family suffer because their only child was killed by a pitbull who got out of house. Why risk these kind of stuff?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    You know one person that's raised one dog? That's what you're basing it on?

I would like to ask you another question, how many dog fights have you seen in person? Have you witness two dogs fighting and then stop because one says uncle? Dogs won't stop attacking if they fight, regardless of breed. If a dog gets to the point where they are literally fighting, not nipping, not growling, they will not stop until the other doesn't have the ability to get up or is dead, its a survival instinct.

I have broken up fights between mix breed (non pits) and guess what, you can hit, kick, yell and they don't stop, in fact it just makes them more pissed off. There is one way to break them up and that's grab their back legs and take them off the ground. That's the only way.

I'm not coming after you in this post, but this type of misinformation that people spread that just isn't true.

The sad part is the dogs are caught up in the middle of this stupid that is all to blame on people. You believe pits are made for killing, who did that? One half hates the breed and wants it banned, the other half wants dogs for fighting or status. Its f-ing sucks seeing so many put in shelters and killed b/c of stupid ass people.

If you think pits are horrible, you should really watch Dogtown with the Vick dogs.

Dude that was just an example..............this person actually has TWO pitbulls, raised them both from puppies. One is pretty sweet, the other is just friggen psycho. He said he was getting rid of that one because it is very, very aggressive and is getting worse. Both dogs were raised by him and his family............never abused or pushed to fight or be aggressive. But one of them is.

Whatever...........Pit bull owners vs those who dont care for them is like debating religion or politics.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Georgia Bulldogs
    Whatever...........Pit bull owners vs those who dont care for them is like debating religion or politics.

I agree with this, and this debate contains as much misinformation as both of those as well.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    the dogs at my work are a great example of how misinformed you all are...

1 is a red healer and the other a blue nose pit. guess who's aggressive and who's docile. guess?! i'll give you a hint, it's not the pit at all.

the healer is going to get us in trouble cause he has now attacked 2 mail men and got mased, attacked a lady client of ours and just recently got out and bit a kid but didn't draw any blood. he ain't my dog and i love him to death but sooner or later his owner, my boss, is going to have to put him down or give him away.

the pit on the other hand is a stout baby. he is such a lovable dog you'd be hard pressed to find any fault with him.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    On second thought, my dog probably is dangerous. There is a good chance he might drown you with a tongue bath.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    On second thought, my dog probably is dangerous. There is a good chance he might drown you with a tongue bath.

This is exactly how my dog is. I have had him since he was 4 weeks and now he is 10 yrs old. He will likely lick you to death then bite or tear you to shreds. He will chase and probably kill cats/rabbits but as far as being aggressive toward people it just hasn't happened. I didn't raise him to be that "type" of pit. I agree though that I personally don't feel comfortable with leaving him alone with a child because he weighs 85lbs and is very playful. He just doesn't know his own strength and kids tend to freak out scream and cry and that could just freak him out as well. So its better to be safe then sorry. At the end of the day all of these dogs that are mentioned are still animals with unpredictable behavior IMHO.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    This is exactly how my dog is. I have had him since he was 4 weeks and now he is 10 yrs old. He will likely lick you to death then bite or tear you to shreds. He will chase and probably kill cats/rabbits but as far as being aggressive toward people it just hasn't happened. I didn't raise him to be that "type" of pit. I agree though that I personally don't feel comfortable with leaving him alone with a child because he weighs 85lbs and is very playful. He just doesn't know his own strength and kids tend to freak out scream and cry and that could just freak him out as well. So its better to be safe then sorry. At the end of the day all of these dogs that are mentioned are still animals with unpredictable behavior IMHO.
    This is the most sense I have heard from a pro pit person.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    the dogs at my work are a great example of how misinformed you all are...

1 is a red healer and the other a blue nose pit. guess who's aggressive and who's docile. guess?! i'll give you a hint, it's not the pit at all.

the healer is going to get us in trouble cause he has now attacked 2 mail men and got mased, attacked a lady client of ours and just recently got out and bit a kid but didn't draw any blood. he ain't my dog and i love him to death but sooner or later his owner, my boss, is going to have to put him down or give him away.

the pit on the other hand is a stout baby. he is such a lovable dog you'd be hard pressed to find any fault with him.
    Point taken bro....... I just have a 3yr old and would not have him wondering around any large dog, especially a Pit. Hope you understand........ a little maybe?

Thread Information