NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    the PB's name is 'baby'
    You are what you eat?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    his other three pit bulls
    so he owns 4 and sounds like they're always in the backyard. I'm sure they're getting plenty of affection

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils

You, sir, are an internet hero. Thanks for posting.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Pit bulls maul woman video…

”But it is how you raise them, my pit bull is so sweet”…

http://video.foxnews.com/v/162147137...ylist_id=87485

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pit bulls maul woman video…

”But it is how you raise them, my pit bull is so sweet”…

http://video.foxnews.com/v/162147137...ylist_id=87485

>implying that this minority in the BRONX raised them properly

I keep thinking you're gonna have a point in one of your numerous bumps of a thread over 2 years old. I keep getting disappointed

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    in all honesty, Pitties are probably in the top 5 friendliest dog breeds I've ever encountered..I have 10-15 friends that own pitbulls, none of them have had any problems with human aggression..

I have a German Shepherd, he's 2 years old, and he's a much more complicated and intense dog than any pitbull I've ever seen, tbh..I've raised him properly, but he has serious prey drive and guard dog instincts..

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Perhaps you haven't...but that doesn't change the fact that Golden Retrievers and Pit Bulls scored almost exactly the same in temperment tests(The Pit Bulls actually scored slightly better).

American Pit Bull Terrier - 85.3% pass rate

Golden Retriever - 84.6% pass rate

There are also plenty of examples
    of other dogs that bite. Pits are just singled out.

Oh..and here's a few people you might know that own Pit Bulls. I wonder why they haven't eaten them yet?
    Excellent post. Thanks for the links. I lived with a pitbull for 2 years in college and he was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. He got along really well with my own dog (Shiba Inu) as well. It's really hard for me to picture him ever being violent.

On the other hand, I can see why they're considered to be dangerous. Their jaw strength has proven to be deadly and they are much stronger than they look. However, in the right training environment with the right kind of knowledgeable owner, I sincerely doubt there's any potential danger.

My next dog is definitely going to be a pitbull. I really like their friendly personality and their playfulness. My Shiba is a little dominant with her food and territory, so a pitbulls submissive personality is a plus too. That way I don't have to worry as much about them butting heads. I'm going to be looking for one from the shelter too.. there's just too many in need to ignore.
    Last edited by angelbelow; 05-06-2012 at 06:25 AM.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Perhaps you haven't...but that doesn't change the fact that Golden Retrievers and Pit Bulls scored almost exactly the same in temperment tests(The Pit Bulls actually scored slightly better).

Has to be the most ignorant post in the history of mankind….

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    so the post with actual facts and data is more ignorant than the "Pitbulls are meanies!" generalization?

at some video of two pits raised by a lazy spook in the Bronx thinking that proves anything. That moon cricket probably keeps them outside all but a few hours every day, never gives them any attention outside of the occasional walk (which we know is occasional given how clueless he is about keeping them restrained), and has times where he forgets to give them water. I'm willing to bet he abuses them too.

I've had a pitbull for a little over a year now and it's the sweetest dog I've ever met. Similar to Harlem, the shepherd/chow mutt my mom's had for over 8 years had a lot more aggressiveness to be corrected than the pitbull we own. The pitbull I've had for over a year loved to nibble on people's fingers as a puppy but has never tried to bite anybody.

The reason you've never seen a Golden Retriever attack someone is because Jamal and Leroy never chose golden retrievers as the dogs they're gonna raise to be brutal animals who they can bet on to win fights. The people who adopt golden retrievers are people who want to raise a sweet house pet, not a killer. If Golden Retrievers were just as "sweet and loving" as they are now but had maybe the strongest jaw of any breed, s like Mike Vick would be buying them up and subjecting them to the torture his dogs got for losing fights.
    Last edited by Goran Dragic; 05-06-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Here's a couple of pics of my boy Memphis and my cat Duncan. His aggressive nature is on full display.

Nice, but if he ever snaps.......he will rip that cat to shreds and then its your turn!!!
    You stupid coon, that could be said about any medium-large sized dog laying next to a cat. Benefactor having his pit trained to get along with cats and be affectionate towards them is more than a lot of people can do to have their dogs/cats get along. Does that look like a dog that's ready to snap? it sure as doesn't to me.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Pit Bull Owner Logic-Pit Bulls dont kill children...The Child must have done something terribel to the Pit-Bull...
    That's not the logic at all. You're blaming the wrong party with these "pitbull gets loose and kills kid" stories. It doesn't just go for pitbulls, but any dog in general, if you can't manage the simple task of making sure your dog doesn't get loose and have free reign over the neighborhood, you don't deserve to own a dog. It's a really in simple task people struggle with.

The biggest pet peeve of mine is when I'm walking my dog and have to deal with some dog who's loose and its owner doesn't even know it. A few months ago I was walking my dog and someone's dog (looked like a lab of some sort) was loose. It ran over and the minute it showed its teeth at my dog I kicked the out of it a few times till the owner actually saw it as he was driving by and started to at me and threatened to call the police. I said go ahead you in dumbass because you're the only one here who broke a law by not keeping your dog restrained on a public street. The guy said nothing else and took his dog back to his house . If I wasn't a 6'2" guy who weighs 200+ pounds walking a pitbull but rather an elderly 5'2" woman who couldn't fend off an attack, it wouldn't have been the dog's fault. It woulda been the fatass owner who can't keep his dog restrained.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    ^yup, it's the dumbass owners who are to blame for that sort of thing. what most people don't know is that originally, the dog was bred to have zero aggression towards humans as people would come into the ring to tend to it after a fight. originally they were pretty much useless as guard dogs because they absolutely wouldn't bite a human being. all the aggression has been bred in over time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    people also say that rottweilers are vicious whenever the fact is that those 2 are the most overbred breeds in america and stupid people are attracted to them, hence the bad rep. rottweilers are actually amazing family dogs, highly intelligent, and good at compe ive obedience. studies show that a golden retreiver or a lab are more likely to bite a human than a rottweiler or pitbull.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    people also say that rottweilers are vicious whenever the fact is that those 2 are the most overbred breeds in america and stupid people are attracted to them, hence the bad rep. rottweilers are actually amazing family dogs, highly intelligent, and good at compe ive obedience. studies show that a golden retreiver or a lab are more likely to bite a human than a rottweiler or pitbull.
    Stop smoking crack.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    ^I'ma take a page out of DoK's book, I'll take facts and data from scientific studies over " the big bad rottweilers are mean "

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I got a bullmastiff and he's never bitten anyone, another "dangerous" breed

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    met a pit bull 2 weeks ago

family friend invited me inside her house. her adult son was home with his pit bull.

opened the door for her, was standing behind her. pit bull and chihuahua run up to me in the doorway like stupid dogs do.

chihuaha jumps on my leg and licks me, pit bull comes right up and bites the out of the inside of my knee.

no bark, no growl, just walk up and bite

awesome dog
    My pit would do that if he saw you.

I trained him to be nice to everyone except be@ners

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    You're a be@ner, hence my pit wouldn't be nice to you.

He comes in handy when your people come by axing to trim the palm trees.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    is that the new defense Mexicans have when they're called out for being the worst group of human beings

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    You're a be@ner, hence my pit wouldn't be nice to you.

He comes in handy when your people come by axing to trim the palm trees.

lol Statistics turned against you. This game is fun.

I'd shoot your ing dog, btw.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Hemann's argument isn't very scientific. First off, pit bulls and rottweilers are two of the most popular breeds in america, so theoretically if all dogs were created equal they would naturally account for the majority of all bites due to sheer numbers. Secondly, when a chihuahua or even a lab or golden retreiver bites, it's not nearly as likely to cause serious injury or even death, hence may not even be reported. Of course the more powerful dogs are going to do more damage when they do bite and it'll make news.

so mean and aggressive

http://atts.org/breed-statistics/statistics-page1/

Description of the Temperament Test
    The ATTS Temperament Test focuses on and measures different aspects of temperament such as stability, shyness, aggressiveness, and friendliness as well as the dog’s instinct for protectiveness towards its handler and/or self-preservation in the face of a threat.

The test simulates a casual walk through a park or neighborhood where everyday life situations are encountered. During this walk, the dog experiences visual, auditory and tactile stimuli. Neutral, friendly and threatening situations are encountered, calling into play the dog’s ability to distinguish between non-threatening situations and those calling for watchful and protective reactions.

Dogs must be at least 18 months old to enter this test. The test takes about eight to 12 minutes to complete. The dog is on a loose six-foot (6′) lead. The handler is not allowed to talk to the dog, give commands, or give corrections.

Failure on any part of the test is recognized when a dog shows:

Unprovoked aggression
    Panic without recovery
    Strong avoidance
    The ATTS Temperament Test consists of ten subtests divided into five subcategories:

Behavior Toward Strangers
    Objective: To measure the dog’s reaction to strangers in a non-threatening situation.

Subtest 1: Neutral stranger
    A stranger to the dog approaches the handler, shakes hands with the handler and engages the handler in a brief conversation, ignoring the dog.
    The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog’s reaction to passive socialization and the dog’s protective instinct.

Subtest 2: Friendly stranger
    A stranger to the dog approaches happily and briskly, is very friendly to the dog and pets the dog.
    The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog’s active social skills.

Reaction to Auditory Stimuli
    Objective: To measure the dog’s reaction to auditory stimuli and the dog’s investigative behavior.

Subtest 3: Hidden Noise
    The handler/dog team approaches a hidden assistant who rattles a metal bucket filled with rocks and sets this bucket in the path of the team. The handler may encourage the dog to investigate the bucket only when asked to do so. The handler’s focus must be on the bucket, not on the dog.
    The purpose of this subtest is to test alertness and curiosity.

Subtest 4: Gunshots
    The handler stops at a designated marker with his/her back towards a well hidden assistant. The assistant fires three shots using a .22 caliber starter pistol (SHOT-PAUSE-SHOT-SHOT).
    The purpose of this subtest is to measure the dog’s recovery response to a sudden noise.

Reaction to Visual Stimulus
    Objective: To measure the dog’s reaction to a sudden visual stimulus.

Subtest 5: Umbrella
    The handler/dog team approaches an assistant sitting in a chair holding a closed umbrella parallel to the ground at a 90 degree angle to the approaching team. When the dog is five feet from the assistant, the umbrella is opened. The handler may encourage the dog to investigate the umbrella only when asked to do so. The handler’s focus must be on the umbrella, not on the dog.

Tactile Stimuli
    Objective: To measure the dog’s reaction to unusual footing.

Subtest 6: Plastic Footing
    Both the handler and the dog walk the entire length of a 15-foot by 6-foot clear plastic strip.

Subtest 7: Wire Footing
    Only the dog will walk the entire length of a 12-foot by 3-foot unfolded exercise pen.

The purpose of these subtests is to measure the dog’s sensitivity to unusual footing, its ability to recover from the fear of unusual footing and to measure its investigative behavior to the unusual footing.

Self Protective/Aggressive Behavior
    Objective: These tests collectively evaluate the dog’s capacity to recognize an unusual situation, its threshold to provocation, its protective instincts, and its propensity to realize when the situation becomes a threat.

Subtest 8: Non-Threatening
    The handler/dog team stops at the designated marker. A weirdly-dressed stranger crosses the path 38 feet in front of the team.
    The purpose of this subtest is to test the dog’s alertness to an unusual situation.

Subtest 9: Threatening
    The weird stranger advances 10 feet towards the stationary handler in a threatening manner.
    The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog’s ability to recognize when an unusual situation turns into a provocation.

Subtest 10: Aggression
    The weird stranger advances to within 18 feet of the stationary handler in an aggressive manner.
    The purpose of this subtest is to evaluate the dog’s protective instincts.

The stranger is never closer than 10 feet from the dog. The handler’s 2 foot arm and the 6′ lead is added in for a total of 18 feet. Aggression here is checked against the breed standard and the dog’s training. A schutzhund trained dog lunging at the stranger is allowed, but if an untrained Siberian husky does the same, it may fail.

At the conclusion of the test, the handler will receive a critique about the dog’s performance. Certificate will be mailed within 90 days of the test.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    If a thousand labs bit for every 1 rottweiler, rottweilers would still account for more fatalities due to the fact that they more much more powerful.

bean mann

Thread Information