Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Any breed of dog can be dangerous in the hands of a stupid owner. Smart people choose pits because they love dogs or the breed; stupid people choose pits for some kind of stupid person manufactured "status" or to exploit the dog. The obvious study that needs to be done is what percentage of attacks are carried out by pets of stupid owners vs. pets of smart owners.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Pit-Bull owners may want to check their homeowners policy & to see if they are covered if their dog bites someone…In Cali insurance companies like All-State will not insure homeowners who have Pit-Bulls…To me that speaks volumes about the breed…

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You do realize the list is by country right? We're talking the US here. Go back and recount. Look at the source as well - severe attacks, hospital visits and fatalities are what we're talking about.
    So different countries make dogs more aggressive? lol.
    Controlled studies. What about non-controlled? You know...something called real life. The data of bite hierarchy doesn't lie. Thats four different sources with pit bulls on top of severe attacks with two of them you consider from valid ins utions. Still you say you don't believe them.

Disproportionately is a loaded term that means "Eh, we don't want to get involved. Yeah they're on top, but there's more to it."

Sorry man, but it seems like nothing's going to get through your head that pit bulls maul people. I guess there's reason for that since its a personal issue for you. Same for others on this site who are at the opposite end of the spectrum.
    lol making up your own definitions to words to fit your agenda.
    Meanwhile, I will continue to rely on more concrete data:

-the statement from the AVMA that says "controlled studies have not
    identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous."

-tests done by the ATTS that show pit bulls pass at rate of almost 87%(better than Golden Retrievers).

Find me some information about the actual breed being dangerous that can disprove these two things and get back to me.

/thread

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pit-Bull owners may want to check their homeowners policy & to see if they are covered if their dog bites someone…In Cali insurance companies like All-State will not insure homeowners who have Pit-Bulls…To me that speaks volumes about the breed…
    That also speaks volumes about the insurance company.....State Farm does not discriminate against certain breeds. On their site their spokesman, Jeff McCollum, says that "there are good and bad dogs within each breed, just like there are responsible and irresponsible dog owners."

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    lol bite studies
    lol relying on information from ghettos and rednecks

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I don't trust pit bulls. When I was younger I had a friend who's mom owned a kennel and would bring various dogs home while they found a permament home for them. At one point she had a pit bull and a pug. Both super sweet dogs, got along great. Then one day she came home from the store to find pug guts all over her living room. That pit bull ripped it to in shreds.

Needless to say, there were no more pit bulls after that.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    So different countries make dogs more aggressive? lol.

lol making up your own definitions to words to fit your agenda.

Lol some of those countries BANNED pit-bulls. I find it ironic that Germany was the first to do so.

I guess they don't have the factor, tbh, like US owner stigmas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    That also speaks volumes about the insurance company.....State Farm does not discriminate against certain breeds. On their site their spokesman, Jeff McCollum, says that "there are good and bad dogs within each breed, just like there are responsible and irresponsible dog owners."
    That’s not the complete story…The list of insurance companies that will insure a dangerous breed of dog is very short…You will also make up for it with higher premiums…

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    That’s not the complete story…The list of insurance companies that will insure a dangerous breed of dog is very short…You will also make up for it with higher premiums…

Depends what neighborhood or city you're in as well. To be fair, some breeds that aren't covered kind of leave me scratching my head.

Quick google search: http://www.insure.com/articles/homei...lack-list.html

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Lol some of those countries BANNED pit-bulls. I find it ironic that Germany was the first to do so.

I guess they don't have the factor, tbh, like US owner stigmas.
    Not a be@ner. You're getting pretty good at this stereotyping thing.

-tests done by the ATTS that show pit bulls pass at rate of almost 87%(better than Golden Retrievers).

Find me some information about the actual breed being dangerous that can disprove these two things and get back to me.

/thread
    Still waiting.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I love how you keep ignoring the fact that the CDC and AVMA have both said that bite statistics are not a reliable way to measure or determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.
    Last edited by benefactor; 05-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

That is hysterical gibberish…The same folks also claim that elephants make excellent house pets...

If any of that were to be true insurance companies would also ban Golden Retrievers for homeowners policies…

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

That is hysterical gibberish…The same folks also claim that elephants make excellent house pets...

If any of that were to be true insurance companies would also ban Golden Retrievers for homeowners policies…
    Hate to bust your bubble, pit hater.

American Pit Bull Terrier

Golden Retriever

Sample size is almost exactly the same.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    There is no point in arguing with the anti-pit crowd. Trust me, I used to do the same thing on this board. Having owned pits for over ten years I can say the only thing I do now is let my Pit's actions speak for themselves. Every single person that has met them, some weary at first, has fallen in love with them. Many want or have gotten their own pits after meeting mine. My brother and parents both own pits now after being scared of them thanks to the media. Until the media stops their biased reporting (and thugs quit owning them) pits will have a bad rap. I just say it now, I know my pits are wonderful dogs, no reason to try and convince someone otherwise, they'll simply find out when they meet my dogs.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah...I know. I'm done here. I have supported my defense for the breed with facts and not hearsay driven or manipulated bite stats. I have my own ownership history and the history of others...plus tons of notable people who own them and have not been attacked. Cesar Millan has tons of them and still seems to be doing quite well after all these years.

Nothing really left to say. Believe in the pit bull boogeyman if you want. I choose the truth.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    Yeah...I know. I'm done here. I have supported my defense for the breed with facts and not hearsay driven or manipulated bite stats.

Cesar Millan has tons of them and still seems to be doing quite well after all these years.

And people watch his show. Being able to train a pit makes him credible. Steve Irwin of dogs, tbh.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

/thread

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz

/thread

Ok, lets ask your hero Cesar Millan!

5 main reasons dog bites happen.
    http://www.cesarsway.com/askthevet/d...y-bites-happen

Seems to me that most bites happen around the owner's property, during maternity or when the animal is being hurt or threatened.

Let's ask a vet study

http://dogbitelaw.com/why-dogs-bite-...s-to-bite.html

Dog is hurt, afraid, protective or predatory instinct - particularly when there's other dogs involved (chasing the neighbor's kid, presumably. good dog!)

Now, does the ATTS test simulate any of that?

"The test simulates a casual walk through a park or neighborhood where everyday life situations are encountered. During this walk, the dog experiences visual, auditory and tactile stimuli. Neutral, friendly and threatening situations are encountered, calling into play the dog’s ability to distinguish between non-threatening situations and those calling for watchful and protective reactions."

http://atts.org/tt-test-description/

What happens when the dog isn't on a leash or the owner isn't present? A dog's temperment certainly doesn't change when it's on its own property, does it? Do they beat the dog during the test to see what it does? Who cares, they're more tempermental than Goldies!

-----------
    Personally, I could see any dog failing the out that test, mine included. It seems that owners who train their dogs specifically for that test are more likely to include them in the study. You sign up to test your dog. It's not a random sample by any means.
    Last edited by IWantsACuatro; 05-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I could take all that apart and it right in the middle of your forehead but I'm done here. You are either a pure dumbass or trolling.

Have fun believing in the pit bull boogeyman.
    Last edited by benefactor; 05-07-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    my beagle mauls all the time

dogfood

and the psyches of its caretakers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    Looks like pit-bulls had a two for one special today.

Sad day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- A 16-month-old girl has died from injuries suffered when a pit bull mauled her in the family backyard in Las Cruces.

What a horrible story....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Thread Information