Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Pit bulls: kind, loving dogs; until they are not...

Police are investigating the death of a 56-year-old Far South Side man whose daughter came home Sunday night to find him covered in blood and apparently killed by the pit bulls she was raising...

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...d-by-dogs.html

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    I've known three Pit Bulls in my life. I spent years of my life with them. I've been bitten three times, by a Chow, a Collie and a Shepherd.

Investigate the people raising the dogs wrong, or place some responsibility on people buying dogs bred from wrongly raised parent breeds. It's nurture, not nature.

Now, I'm not saying that aspects of their nature doesn't make them more dangerous than other breeds when the nurture makes them monsters. Such is the case, but I've seen some of the most vicious and snarling dogs be breeds most consider "family" and "friendly" breeds.

I recall that Pit Bulls were once used as rescue dogs.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I have never seen a story about a Fluffy Golden Retriever mauling children & elderly to death…

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    dude probably beat them or some . i have a pit at work that is nothing but love. i could care less for these stories cause there's no background on what has happened to these dogs or who is caring for these dogs.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    just force them to have mouth guards in public and everyone is happy

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    as long as the maulings occur within the owners home or backyard, it's their problem. i'm sorry for the family though...tough lesson to learn.

yes, it's how they are raised and yes, it's the fact that they are beasts with beastly mauling ability.

i can raise a lion to be a kittycat, but if a kittycat has a bad day and gets pissed off, it's not likely to rip my head off and eat me.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I have never seen a story about a Fluffy Golden Retriever mauling children & elderly to death…
    Perhaps you haven't...but that doesn't change the fact that Golden Retrievers and Pit Bulls scored almost exactly the same in temperment tests(The Pit Bulls actually scored slightly better).

American Pit Bull Terrier - 85.3% pass rate

Golden Retriever - 84.6% pass rate

There are also plenty of examples
    of other dogs that bite. Pits are just singled out.

Oh..and here's a few people you might know that own Pit Bulls. I wonder why they haven't eaten them yet?
    Last edited by benefactor; 01-18-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Perhaps you haven't...but that doesn't change the fact that Golden Retrievers and Pit Bulls scored almost exactly the same in temperment tests(The Pit Bulls actually scored slightly better).

There are also plenty of examples of other dogs that bite. Pits are just singled out.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Art...llDogsBite.htm
    The problem is the pit bull's capacity for doing damage.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    I've been around dozens of pitbulls in my lifetime. I have also been bitten by more chihuahua's than pitts by a score of 3-0.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Meh...that's a cop out. Any large dog that attacks a human is just as capable of mortally wounding them...and as you can see by that list of articles, all dogs are capable of biting if they are not raised properly.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    So when is Racheal Ray's pit going to eat her? What's the over/under on our timeline here?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    only dog i was bit by was a pitbull.. ive been around alot of them and never had a issue and until me the dog hadn't bit a person before in its life.. that was until it heard its owner screaming and moaning, ran into her room and bit me in the leg

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Was not Lassie a Collie? I have three scars around my left eye from the time lil' miss Lassie attacked me when I was four. Had the dog not been a family friend's, and had the father not been right there, I may have been mauled to death by a dog historically viewed to be a family friendly dog.

Maybe not a retriever, but still...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Exactly. Which is why you want to raise them right. Exercise, loving attention, food, water, and perhaps NOT having them chained up in the backyard 24/7. I doubt it's a coincidence this story took place on the south side of Chicago considering like 99.9% of these pitbull stories are either in a trailer park or a rough urban setting.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    But how come the reports I see is all about pit bull maulings? And why do they have to ban pit bulls in cities like Denver?

I wont let my boy be alone with a neighbor's pitbull. It was bred for biting down without letting the prey go. It's only friendly and lovable and sweet until someone gets hurt.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    But how come the reports I see is all about pit bull maulings? And why do they have to ban pit bulls in cities like Denver?

I wont let my boy be alone with a neighbor's pitbull. It was bred for biting down without letting the prey go. It's only friendly and lovable and sweet until someone gets hurt.
    Because of people like you who don't really understand. It's ignorant public pressure. A whole lot of pitbull owners are either stupid redneck trailer trash or inner city thugs who get it only for street cred. Those kind of people are gonna cause trouble either way. But for people like my sister and her husband with 2 of them, who feed them, let them indoors, take them for walks, and treat them civilly, they WILL be the most loyal and submissive of dogs.

BTW, if I saw a big dog that I have no idea about, I really wouldn't mind its breed only where the can I run to if it chases me

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    This is why Pit Bulls are a superior breed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    It's not being ignorant when you dont want to risk your child being mauled by pitbulls. I know other dogs can hurt you too but pits are more aggressive.

If a nationwide law will be made banning this breed, I will vote for it and encourage others to do so.
    There are other breeds of dogs, why get a pitbull? When they attack, they will not stop and let go. Plus, it already has a reputation that tempts those rednecks/thugs to parade them and train them for attacking just to earn streetcred.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's not being ignorant when you dont want to risk your child being mauled by pitbulls. I know other dogs can hurt you too but pits are more aggressive.

If a nationwide law will be made banning this breed, I will vote for it and encourage others to do so.
    There are other breeds of dogs, why get a pitbull? When they attack, they will not stop and let go. Plus, it already has a reputation that tempts those rednecks/thugs to parade them and train them for attacking just to earn streetcred.
    There is no such thing as a "universally aggressive breed". If there were, Cesar Millan would be out of business. The breed is never going to go away no matter any laws. The dogfighters will continue to breed them and the plain ol animal abusers will only go on to the next "badass" breed (setting that one up for a mauling). So by doing so you are only potentially taking a loving member of a family away from those who are competent enough to raise them. I wouldn't mind however, a law banning the breeding of them considering there are too many of every breed. I'm not sure if you meant that or banning them as in Jews in the holocaust style

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Holocaust style man. Like shipping them bas s into one island and nuke it to smithereens.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Right now i have a 12 week old doberman, i feel for him, he just had his ears crop today

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    But how come the reports I see is all about pit bull maulings?
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Art...llDogsBite.htm
    I know other dogs can hurt you too but pits are more aggressive.

They are not more aggressive. It's a myth created by the media. Any dog that is not raised properly(training, dog/people socialization) can become aggressive.
    Last edited by benefactor; 01-19-2010 at 06:49 AM.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Here's a couple of pics of my boy Memphis and my cat Duncan. His aggressive nature is on full display.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Here's a couple of pics of my boy Memphis and my cat Duncan. His aggressive nature is on full display.

Nice, but if he ever snaps.......he will rip that cat to shreds and then its your turn!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nice, but if he ever snaps.......he will rip that cat to shreds and then its your turn!!!
    stop being dumb.

Thread Information