Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    If a thousand labs bit for every 1 rottweiler, rottweilers would still account for more fatalities due to the fact that they more much more powerful.

bean mann

So you agree that they're most likely to maul someone than any other breed solely because of their power?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    lol Statistics turned against you. This game is fun.

I'd shoot your ing dog, btw.
    rofl typical mexican needing guns and knives cause he's a pussy with his hands

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    rofl typical mexican needing guns and knives cause he's a pussy with his hands

You'd fight a pit bull with your hands? Such a tough guy.

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    So you agree that they're most likely to maul someone than any other breed solely because of their power?
    Yeah that's why they are only for responsible owners. You don't get a dog like that just to put in the backyard and do it's own thing. Those are what are known as "working dogs."

If you socialize one and have experience with large dogs they really aren't going to maul someone. I've got a bullmastiff, the only person he's biting is an intruder.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    You'd fight a pit bull with your hands? Such a tough guy.

Fighting/abusing animals isn't something I think about very much. It's an activity that mostly minorities (i.e. Mexicans and blacks) take part in

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Honestly I prefer animals to people tbh (especially s). My dog is my he ain't gonna backstab me or around, he's got my back. They love their owners unconditionally

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    Yeah that's why they are only for responsible owners. You don't get a dog like that just to put in the backyard and do it's own thing. Those are what are known as "working dogs."

If you socialize one and have experience with large dogs they really aren't going to maul someone. I've got a bullmastiff, the only person he's biting is an intruder.

It's a breed that needs to be reigned in, regardless of its temperment because the death ratio is appauling. Prospective owners atleast need a background check before they buy one. There's no excuse why pit bulls kill 52+ ppl in two years compared to the other "aggressive" breeds who only account for 2-3 each.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Tbh there's some confusion between causation and correlation....if you think about it, the type of people who would raise a ty, overaggressive dog are the type to choose a powerful/"scary" breed to begin with. People who choose labs are probably more likely to be a family, and thus will probably have it trained to be friendly.

I've yet to see an aggressive lab tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    It's a breed that needs to be reigned in, regardless of its temperment because the death ratio is appauling. Prospective owners atleast need a background check before they buy one. There's no excuse why pit bulls kill 52+ ppl in two years compared to the other "aggressive" breeds who only account for 2-3 each.
    because they're powerful and minorities like to use them as a "macho symbol." instead of treating them like a pet. minorities should be banned first and we wouldn't have a problem at all.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    They're the type who would pick a strong breed capable of brutal attacks, which pittbulls are. If labs had notoriously strong jaws, every spook in the dirty south would want one to bet on in fights.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    lol dogsbite.org. Only a got like hemann would choose such a source.

http://www.pitbulletinlegalnews.com/...g-the-henhouse

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    lol Statistics turned against you. This game is fun.
    lol uneducated got. Do some real research instead of trusting some ty source that a dumbass posts.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    lol uneducated got. Do some real research instead of trusting some ty source that a dumbass posts.

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

Ouch, got with very conservative goverment data. Gay boy got you bent over. Mmmmm.

Now that I threw some poo back, let me explain the serious problem I have with the pit bull community.

Regardless of what statistics you present, pit bulls are THE deadliest breed in the United States hands down. There should be no reason why a purported domesticated animal should be so aggressive towards people who aren't directly harming the owner.

My problem isn't with the breed itself, but with the breeders and owners. Having been an owner of an 'aggressive breed,' I did hours and hours of research on the dog I wanted.

The breed I own was depicted as a man-killing breed (and yes, it was bred to be a guard dog and used in war) in the 60s and 70s. Breeders made it a conscious effort to breed out the aggression, and now fatalities among the breed are minimal. When I purchased my dog, the breeder did an in-depth background check on me, and I went through an interviewing process. I was approved, and the puppy I purchased is the best damn dog I've ever owned. Believe me, I kept him on a short leash, and now he's the world's biggest couch potato.

As far as I can tell, pit bull breeders on a national scale haven't made it their goal to breed out aggression. Nor are they doing background checks on owners and continually instilling the need for owners to give their dog a role and not keeping them pinned in the backyard. Instead they take to apologetics. "The statistics are flawed, pit bulls are less aggressive than labs, etc. etc." Owners are making the same excuses, as evidenced by this thread. Noone has addressed why the public views pits as they do. Instead, breeders should start a national campaign on improving the dog's imagine - not creating 'legal think tank' websites (that I presume are started to counter lawsuits) to protect the owners. It should be a breed agenda. Instead, all I see is apologetics. tl/dr.
    Last edited by IWantsACuatro; 05-06-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Again...learn how to to proper research. The CDC themselves came out and said that very fact sheet you posted was worthless related to breed specific dog bites.
    A CDC study on fatal dog bites lists the breeds involved in fatal attacks over 20 years (Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998 ). It does not identify specific breeds that are most likely to bite or kill, and thus is not appropriate for policy-making decisions related to the topic. Each year, 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs. These bites result in approximately 16 fatalities; about 0.0002 percent of the total number of people bitten. These relatively few fatalities offer the only available information about breeds involved in dog bites. There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.
    http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...factsheet.html

It's also hard to take you seriously when you say like, "pit bulls are the deadliest breed in the United States" and follow it up with with "My problem isn't with the breed itself, but with the breeders and owners." There's no such thing as a deadly breed. It's a myth created by the media. How is 16 fatalities a year out of 4.7 million bites(that's all breeds) deadly? Again, do some real research.

You are right about there being more aggressive breeds though...and when need to get information about such things I personally will yield to real professionals...like...the American Veterinary Medical Association. Here is a very recent publication from them regarding the role of breed in dog bite risk and prevention.

http://www.avma.org/reference/backgr...ntion_bgnd.pdf
    Owners of pit bull-type dogs deal with a strong breed stigma, however controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous. The pit bull type is particularly ambiguous as a “breed” encompassing a range of pedigree breeds, informal types and appearances that cannot be reliably identified. Visual determination of dog breed is known to not always be reliable. And witnesses may be predisposed to assume that a vicious dog is of this type.
    Given that pit bull-type dogs are not implicated in controlled studies, and the potential role of prevalence and management factors, it is difficult to support the targeting of this breed as a basis for dog bite prevention. If breeds are to be targeted a cluster of large breeds would be implicated including the German shepherd and shepherd crosses and other breeds that vary by location.
    Last edited by benefactor; 05-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Listen...if you own a large breed dog...Pit bull, Doberman, Lab, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, etc. then you should own it responsibly. You aren't saving anyone's life by targeting a specific breed and saying that it's a born killer so we should get rid of it. You get rid of that breed and there will be another one in line...and getting rid of a breed that has tons of information about it not being dangerous is even dumber. If you are trying to get rid of dog bites by getting rid of pit bulls then you are horribly misguided.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Already have.

Who is Merritt Clifton And What Are His Credentials?

Most news stories obtain their Pro-BSL statistics from dogsbite.org. As noted above, Colleen Lynn started this anti-pitbull blog in 2007 as a result of what she decribed as a vicious pit bull attack. PBLN has previously reported on the evolution of this preventable accident into the myth of vicious pit bull attack. Initially, Lynn compiled her dog bite data from a study done by Merritt Clifton. Nobody has any idea what his raw data was, and none of his statistics are consistent with what independent peer reviewed research shows. He has no qualifications to do scientific research into dog behavior. Out of all the dog bite reports and information available in 2008, including the CDC and AVMA, Lynn chose Merritt Clifton's self published unscientific and uncredentialed report? Yes. It is the only report that agrees with the agenda of DBO.
    http://www.pitbulletinlegalnews.com/...g-the-henhouse

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The argument throughout this thread hasn't even been statistics, although benefactor is now making his case, it's been about pitbulls being an unconditionally aggressive breed.

If you look at my previous posts you'll know I'm one of the "don't blame the breed" posters, and I'm COMPLETELY ok with this. If this means all the irresponsible PoS asshole owners can't abuse them anymore, and the current responsible owners can keep theirs, then this is worth applauding. They really should however extend it to all power breeds, considering those PoS asshole owners will only move on to the next best thing. I view this is as saving the breed
    still my overlying ideology on this issue. Nip it in the bud if nothing more than for the sake of all the dogs that would be abused in the future

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Listen...if you own a large breed dog...Pit bull, Doberman, Lab, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, etc. then you should own it responsibly. You aren't saving anyone's life by targeting a specific breed and saying that it's a born killer so we should get rid of it. You get rid of that breed and there will be another one in line...and getting rid of a breed that has tons of information about it not being dangerous is even dumber. If you are trying to get rid of dog bites by getting rid of pit bulls then you are horribly misguided.
    Pit bulls are misunderstood, especially by relatives of those people who've been mauled by them.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz

Both studies conclude that pit-bull types accounted for most severe bites.

Other bites that aren't severe (ones in controlled studies) are mostly yip-yap dogs - not necessarily dangerous but annoying as .

Then they basically say that they don't want to be involved in the discussion policy-wise because of the owner stigma and lack of breed stabilization.

If I were a pit-bull breeder, I'd try to establish new pedigree guidelines with breeders across the US and reign in the breed. Variability, in this case, is not a good thing. Maybe instead of trying to make it a non-issue, the pit-bull community should distance itself away from the owner stigma.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no offense to those who have pit bulls, but why would anyone want to own one?

Serious question.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    no offense to those who have pit bulls, but why would anyone want to own one?

Serious question.
    tell us which breed YOU prefer so we can all follow suit

Because they are affectionate, loyal, and protective?
    and on top of that because some prefer their looks the same way some may prefer labs or jack russells or dalmations, because they think they're "cuter." I for one can't stand the way labs look. The most plain ugly dog in the world imo. Yet it seems most people in the world think they're absolutely adorable. Is that really too much to understand, triggered?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pit bulls are misunderstood, especially by relatives of those people who've been mauled by them.
    this might have been considered witty or funny 4-5 pages ago

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Both studies conclude that pit-bull types accounted for most severe bites.

Other bites that aren't severe (ones in controlled studies) are mostly yip-yap dogs - not necessarily dangerous but annoying as .

Then they basically say that they don't want to be involved in the discussion policy-wise because of the owner stigma and lack of breed stabilization.

If I were a pit-bull breeder, I'd try to establish new pedigree guidelines with breeders across the US and reign in the breed. Variability, in this case, is not a good thing. Maybe instead of trying to make it a non-issue, the pit-bull community should distance itself away from the owner stigma.
    Actually German Shepherds make the list more, but the bite studies are beside the point...as the AVMA points out that many times pit bulls cannot be properly identified visually and that witnesses may be predisposed to assume that a vicious dog is a pit bull(i.e. the many false reports from dgbite.org). That sums up the problem with any bite study. You have to rely on the people reporting and as you can see in the previous link I posted many times those people say whatever they want.

Meanwhile, I will continue to rely on more concrete data:

-the statement from the AVMA that says "controlled studies have not
    identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous."

-tests done by the ATTS that show pit bulls pass at rate of almost 87%(better than Golden Retrievers).

Find me some information about the actual breed being dangerous that can disprove these two things and get back to me.

/thread

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    rofl what a loser whoever made that blog is

a big mean pitbull bit me so now I'm gonna dedicate my life to some ty blog about how big and mean pitbulls are

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Utah Jazz
    Actually German Shepherds make the list more, but the bite studies are beside the point...
    You do realize the list is by country right? We're talking the US here. Go back and recount. Look at the source as well - severe attacks, hospital visits and fatalities are what we're talking about.

-the statement from the AVMA that says "controlled studies have not
    identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous."

/thread
    Controlled studies. What about non-controlled? You know...something called real life. The data of bite hierarchy doesn't lie. Thats four different sources with pit bulls on top of severe attacks with two of them you consider from valid ins utions. Still you say you don't believe them.

Disproportionately is a loaded term that means "Eh, we don't want to get involved. Yeah they're on top, but there's more to it."

Sorry man, but it seems like nothing's going to get through your head that pit bulls maul people. I guess there's reason for that since its a personal issue for you. Same for others on this site who are at the opposite end of the spectrum.
    Last edited by IWantsACuatro; 05-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Thread Information