Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson surprised by kudos from Popovich
    Mike Monroe

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's assessment of Richard Jefferson's defensive work on Memphis' high-scoring forward, Rudy Gay, in Friday's game at the AT&T Center was terse and positive.

“Richard was physical with him,” Popovich said. “He did his work early and did one of his better defensive jobs of the season.”

Jefferson seemed stunned when told what Popovich had said.

“No way,” he said, and then he smiled.

“What game is this, who do we play next?” he asked, well aware the Denver Nuggets, and league-leading scorer Carmelo Anthony, are next up for the Spurs. “He was just saying that because Carmelo is coming to town.”

In fact, Popovich and Jefferson had a private talk a few days ago that was designed to ease the player's mind about a lot of things, including defensive mistakes.

“Nothing big,” Jefferson said. “Just a sit-down on the court. He just told me to focus in on a couple of things and not to worry about this thing or that thing. After a while your head can get a little crazy. He said to focus on a couple things and go from there.”

The focus worked on Friday. In only three games this season had Gay, who came into the game averaging 20.4 points per game, been less productive than he was on Friday. He finished with nine points.

Randolph recognized: Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph, named Thursday as a Western Conference All-Star reserve, called his selection a tribute to his team.

“It has everything to do with the season we're having,” he said. “We're winning and we've turned it around, and I think that has a lot to do with how I'm playing.”

Popovich said he couldn't recall where he ranked Randolph among Western forwards, but added there was no question the Memphis player deserves his spot in the Feb. 14 game in Dallas.

“He's really the biggest change in that franchise, he and Lionel (Hollins). What Lionel has done and the presence of Zach, as a player, changed them into a team that can win any single night, no matter who they play. That's a pretty large impact for one player to have.”

No surprise: When Grizzlies rookie forward Sam Young heard about the 28-point, 21-rebound game his former Pitt Panthers teammate DeJuan Blair put up against Oklahoma City, his response was matter-of-fact: “That's DeJuan Blair.”

Young, selected 35th, just ahead of Blair, in the second round of the 2009 draft, said he had no doubt his friend would make it in the NBA.

“I was a little surprised he didn't go in the first round, because he's a first-round talent. He was a double-double machine, so I expected no less in the NBA.”

Spurs Artist
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact, Popovich and Jefferson had a private talk a few days ago that was designed to ease the player's mind about a lot of things, including defensive mistakes.

“Nothing big,” Jefferson said. “Just a sit-down on the court. He just told me to focus in on a couple of things and not to worry about this thing or that thing. After a while your head can get a little crazy. He said to focus on a couple things and go from there.”
    And thats why Pop is one of the all time great coaches, and Spurstalk posters still complain that it is simply lack of heart and small ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young was the 36th pick, not sure what Monroe was smoking there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Young, selected 35th, just ahead of Blair, in the second round of the 2009 draft, said he had no doubt his friend would make it in the NBA.
    Blair is 37th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ is playing better. Not peaking, but showing nice signs. If he continues to progress like this it certainly bodes well imo.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like where rj is righ now. His confidence is coming back on both ends of the court and his game is really rounding out well. His rebounding is improving as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like where rj is righ now. His confidence is coming back on both ends of the court and his game is really rounding out well. His rebounding is improving as well.
    Probably because Tony didn't play...

(Can't wait for the kace post pointing out how overrated Manu's passing is )

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably because Tony didn't play...

(Can't wait for the kace post pointing out how overrated Manu's passing is )

stirrer....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They had a couple of really nice plays for Jefferson where he did a scissor cut off Duncan in the high post. The instead of just completing his cut, he posted up a few feet from the hoop. He got a bucket and some foul shots from nice dishes from Timmy.

BTW, 7 assists for Timmy. Nice for a day where there was a lot of physical play allowed on TD.

If they can get the win on Sunday against the Nuggets, they have a chance to gain some much needed momentum.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ loves the reverse jam

He tries to get the crowd a little hyped at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1. He's playing pretty damn well right now. He's scoring here and there, playing some pretty good D, rebounding, and even passing the ball well. RJ is coming around...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just hope it lasts... hopefully that was the last private meeting Pop had with Richard...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully RJ stays motivated. He's been playing well the last two games which is all the Spurs need from him.

Ender's Teacher
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson has definitely shown improvement in the last couple games. I figured not being in the line up with Parker would make him a little less tentative, but it's definitely good to see him involved. Even though I love Tony, he does dominate a lot of possessions, and when he's not at full strength, maybe this team has better options than a 75% speed Tony. I wouldn't mind him sitting until after the all star game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson was good last game, even with Parker in the lineup, so I'll say that before any of the Parker haters join us in this thread..

These last 2 games have been his best all-around EFFORT of the season IMO..he's actually playing hard and showing some passion out there..they've been against 2 quality teams too, so that's good..he can get better, hopefully he does..

He had 1 poor defensive play tonight where he was beat by Sam Young off the dribble after falling for the fake..other than that, I thought he did a solid job..

I also liked how Pop ran some plays for him down low, he scored on both attempts..hopefully he's utilized like that more often, it'll get the rest of his game going too..

It'll be interesting to see how he plays vs. Anthony, it's a huge challenge..

Hopefully this continues..we need consistency from him, so 2 games obviously isn't enough..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ loves the reverse jam

He tries to get the crowd a little hyped at least.
    Actually, for whatever reason, it's the way he feels most comfortable collecting his steps. No matter if it's on the baseline going oppo or in the open court, there's something about the way he approaches and explodes (not sure if it's a mental thing or something that came about after the surgeries).

He was talking about it with Bill and Sean a while back when they were highlighting a couple of his dunks during the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didnt catch the game, but if RJ was the main guy on Gay throghout the game than speaks well of his defensive effort tonight. I still hate the way he plays offensively though...he's turned himself into a jump shooter and he is so much more than that. He's attempted like 140 FTs half way through the season which would put him on pace for 280 for the year, in comparison to 500+ he had last season and 600+ in 08'. He needs to attack the ing rim, until than the criticism of him should not ease.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for RJ, yeah, these have definitely been some of his most encouraging outings. He's actually had some good individual defensive moments on the ball the last couple of games (not a weakside or highlight block, which he's capable of on occasion) and he's looked a little more settled and at ease in the offense.

As Harlem mentioned, I was glad to see more of the two-man game-type stuff between Tim and RJ. those back screens and duck-ins have been too few and far between and it was good to see; I think the spacing actually was a little more conducive to it, seeing as Hill can shoot the three (sorry, Tony).

It really is quite amazing how much different Hill looks when he feels his back is against the wall. Whether it's a big-time game or when he's forced to step in for Tony (more times than not, it seems), he just looks like a completely different player; his athleticism looks all the more impressive as he's more decisive and confident in his ball handling and drives to the basket. I've always been a fan and a bit of a cheer-leader of his, but I just love watching the guy play and seeing all he brings to the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If RJ and Dice continue to play at the level they've been at these last two games we will go far.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson had a nice cut down the middle when Tim had the ball at the top of the key too, I was hoping he was going to throw the oop there..I remember they tried that play in preseason and failed, but I'm sure they've built enough chemistry that they could make it now..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, they've completed one, maybe two(?), where Tim's got his back to the basket at about 8-10' and RJ rubs his man off of Tim to receive the ball at the rim as Tim pivots and tosses it up there, but we need to see more of it; they've got to find ways to get RJ involved and into the flow without throwing everyone else off. The two-man game between Tim and RJ has been one of the best and most effective ways I've seen them go about doing so.

RJ's familiarity with the Princeton offense is conducive to those duck-ins and back doors and seeing as they've got one of the best passing bigs in the league, you'd think they could find a way to incorporate things like that a little more; even flipping the script with Tim diving to the hoop while RJ's posting has been pretty effective when utilized..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really is quite amazing how much different Hill looks when he feels his back is against the wall. Whether it's a big-time game or when he's forced to step in for Tony (more times than not, it seems), he just looks like a completely different player; his athleticism looks all the more impressive as he's more decisive and confident in his ball handling and drives to the basket. I've always been a fan and a bit of a cheer-leader of his, but I just love watching the guy play and seeing all he brings to the court.
    Which is why, if the Spurs were to get involved in a major trade the guy they should be offering should be Tony not Manu...not only is Tony a better trade chip than Manu but Hill's emergence also makes losing Tony easier to swallow. Hill is legit, I agree about his game being a complete joy to watch. Numerous teams would love to have him as their starting PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is why, if the Spurs were to get involved in a major trade the guy they should be offering should be Tony not Manu...not only is Tony a better trade chip than Manu but Hill's emergence also makes losing Tony easier to swallow. Hill is legit, I agree about his game being a complete joy to watch. Numerous teams would love to have him as their starting PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying this for the past year. People said I was nuts to want to trade Parker and Hill wasn't ready and couldn't play point guard, yadda yadda. Yet, every time Hill gets an opportunity to start (which is twice a year at least thx to Parker being injury-prone) he plays well and the team plays better.

Hill right now = Parker when you factor in his defense. In another year he will be better and will only keep getting better.

Thread Information