My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I wonder if LeBron, Wade, Kobe, CP3 didn't rejoin, would the US be able to win Gold in 2012?

Nine from 2008 roster rejoin U.S. team

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant joined six others from the reigning Olympic champions who are among 27 players on the U.S. national team roster.

The players chosen Wednesday will be candidates for this summer's world championships and the 2012 Olympics in London.

Also returning from the team that ended the Americans' eight-year gold medal drought in major compe ions are: Chris Bosh, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer.

All of the returning players previously told USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo they are interested in coming back after spending all or parts of three years playing for the team that returned the United States to the top of international basketball.

James, Wade and Bosh are all questionable to actually play this summer, though. All three can become free agents and have said their contract situations are their first priority.

"I really think it's kind of early, but I think guys still want to play," Anthony said. "Of course we'll have that conversation in the near future, but they've got to take care of what they've got to take care of first, which is their contracts and things like that."

The only players not returning from the team that won gold in Beijing are Jason Kidd, who previously said he was retiring from international compe ion with a perfect record, and Michael Redd and Tayshaun Prince, who have battled injuries this season.

"Special recognition and acknowledgment needs to go to the nine players returning from our 2008 Olympic team," Colangelo said in a statement. "They have demonstrated that they are the heart and soul of our program and their commitment to continue to represent their country should not be overlooked."

The remainder of the roster includes young stars like Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose. Also returning to the national team are Chauncey Billups and Amare Stoudemire, who played on the U.S. team in the 2007 Olympic qualifier.

Stoudemire is perhaps the biggest surprise on the roster. The All-Star forward from Phoenix basically talked himself off the 2008 Olympic team by publicly waffling about his desire to play at the end of the NBA season.

Billups backed up Kidd on the 2007 team that went undefeated in Las Vegas, but he withdrew the next year for family reasons. He may not have made the final 12-man roster anyway, since Paul was back from an injury that sidelined him the previous summer.

Los Angeles Lakers forward Lamar Odom, who played on the 2004 Olympic team, also was chosen Wednesday. The rest of the players are almost entirely young players.

The roster includes: Minnesota's Al Jefferson and Kevin Love; Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo of Memphis; Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala; Boston's Kendrick Perkins; Indiana's Danny Granger; New York's David Lee; New Jersey center Brook Lopez; Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook; Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge; Charlotte's Gerald Wallace; and Clippers guard Eric Gordon.

The Americans will choose a group from the roster to take part in their minicamp in Las Vegas in July. They are expected to play an exhibition game in New York before heading to Turkey for the world championships.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski and assistants Jim Boeheim, Mike D'Antoni and Nate McMillan already committed to returning last summer.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Klomar? What a of a man.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Double-Up? What a of a man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldrige, Granger, Gay, Durant and Paul would be sick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (as 2nd unit)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldrige, Granger, Gay, Durant and Paul would be sick
    Screw Small Ball. Sorry, couldn't resist.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Double-Up? What a of a man.
    The prenup setting her up for life with his hard earned money like a after their eventual divorce. Not to mention: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/05/khloma...nder-incident/

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The prenup setting her up for life with his hard earned money like a after their eventual divorce.
    No.

He keeps his salary but pays for the house. Sounds like standard divorce proceedings to me.

No.

"but no evidence was found that a crime was committed."

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I don't know what the point is. Kobe alone can bring home the gold.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It would be pretty funny and tragic if Kobe sits out and the US comes home with another Bronze.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free Agency Concerns Hover Over Team USA
    SportingNews

In a little more than six months, the 24-team FIBA World Championship will begin in Turkey. On Wednesday, USA Basketball announced the 27 players who will form the pool from which the American roster will be chosen. But what’s striking about the makeup of this year’s team is that so little can be said about it for certain.

Nine of the 12 players who won the gold medal in the 2008 Olympics are returning, but of those nine, four are very prominent free agents this summer (LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer) while three others in the pool (Amare Stoudemire, Rudy Gay and David Lee) either could or will be looking for new contracts. With free agency beginning on July 1, and the first Team USA camp starting just a few weeks later in Las Vegas, USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo has had to scramble. He doesn’t want a dragged-out free-agent process to keep players from representing the U.S.

Thus, Colangelo confirmed on Wednesday, USA Basketball will actually hold two camps-the usual July camp, and a second camp in New York City in August. He acknowledged that free agency is hanging over Team USA’s plans.

"Well, for sure it’s a factor," Colangelo said. "The facts are these: Free agency comes into play on July 1st, there are three weeks before we have our minicamp. It is conceivable that many will have their business taken care of and then again maybe not.

"The camp in August, which would start August 9th or 10th, that is six weeks out after free agency. You would think that most everyone would be finished taking care of their business. We are hopeful of that, but it’s an unknown, and it’s just a fact of life. We would not put our players at risk if they do not have their contracts signed. We are going to play it by ear, and I’m hopeful that the teams in the NBA take care of their business sooner rather than later."

Colangelo has done an outstanding job in boosting the profile of Team USA, getting young players to commit to the team and building a deep group of potential players. But the World Championship figures to be an even tougher test for the Americans than the Olympics, and if free agency drags—a distinct possibility in a tumultuous economic climate against the backdrop of new collective-bargaining talks—commitments from the core group that won gold in ’08 will be difficult.

"I think if it was a normal summer most everyone would like to get back and play again," Bosh told Sporting News. "It’s important. We all think it is important. But it’s not a normal summer, so we have to kind of let things play out."

Bosh and Boozer could prove especially difficult to replace—Lamar Odom, Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge are the only other power forwards available who are not free agents, though combo forwards like Carmelo Anthony, Gerald Wallace and Danny Granger can play up front more easily in the international game. Still, the bigger concerns are Wade and James. If they bow out, would Kobe Bryant, too, skip the tournament?

Team USA’s initial group is impressive. But that’s only if free agency doesn’t get in the way.

Team USA: Surprise Picks, And A Surprise Omission
    SportingNews

A few players of note stood out among the 27 who were (and weren’t) included in Team USA’s list of potential members that will head to Turkey for the World Championships:

Amare Stoudemire. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo at one point had given up on Stoudemire, but he’s on the list. "He was not going to be considered," Colangelo said. "Had he not really reached out through his own effort and through his agent. … I think he is motivated in a lot of ways."

Chauncey Billups. Veteran point guard Jason Kidd retired from Team USA, and Billups hopes to fill his shoes. "Chauncey indicated there is nothing he would want more than to win a gold medal before he retires," Colangelo said. "He would fit right into the Jason Kidd role as a veteran who can still play at a very high level."

Rajon Rondo. Bizarrely, Colangelo said that Rondo showed no interest in joining Team USA. "Rondo did not respond to inquiries," Colangelo said when asked whether Rondo turned down an invitation. "So we just assumed that was the case."

Best Nuggets Troll Ever NuGGeTs-FaN's Avatar
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    As long as Melo is there, it will be a gold. Don't need all those other prima donnas who are all about the cash

Thread Information