Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You can't handle The Truth TheTruth's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I'm loving The Pacific so far. Definitely a lot less character development as far as the secondary characters are concerned. I think that will change with the coming episodes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I agree with cane and coyotes_geek so far I am not really impressed. Although I will keep watching but Band of Brothers way better.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't know why some people would want a band of brothers clone. I'm not watching to see band of brothers Asian edition, I like that they took a different approach and different style with this one. I give them credit for that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The second episode was much better than the first; third degree burns ftl.

I don't know why some people would want a band of brothers clone. I'm not watching to see band of brothers Asian edition, I like that they took a different approach and different style with this one. I give them credit for that.
    No one wants an identical clone, just a similar level of immersion and a sense of actually giving a damn about whats going on. The characters and acting in The Pacific are the biggest drawbacks so far but looks like they're on the right track. However BOB came out of the gate already having those qualities.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No one wants an identical clone, just a similar level of immersion and a sense of actually giving a damn about whats going on. The characters and acting in The Pacific are the biggest drawbacks so far but looks like they're on the right track. However BOB came out of the gate already having those qualities.
    It's next to impossible to pull that off with war in the Pacific. Where in BOB you could follow the entire unit from D-Day to the fall of Germany, you can't do that in the Pacific. The lynchpin battles weren't fought with the same units, so each campaign has (generally) its own cast. I don't have HBO, but did see the first episode and do agree that the characters could have used more "fleshing" out, but since I served in the Marines (who ingrain the history of the Corps into you so I'm familiar with the story of John Basilone) and have read the books two of the characters that the series is based on wrote ("With The Old Breed" and "Helmet For My Pillow").

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    It's next to impossible to pull that off with war in the Pacific. Where in BOB you could follow the entire unit from D-Day to the fall of Germany, you can't do that in the Pacific. The lynchpin battles weren't fought with the same units, so each campaign has (generally) its own cast. I don't have HBO, but did see the first episode and do agree that the characters could have used more "fleshing" out, but since I served in the Marines (who ingrain the history of the Corps into you so I'm familiar with the story of John Basilone) and have read the books two of the characters that the series is based on wrote ("With The Old Breed" and "Helmet For My Pillow").
    This. Couple in the fact that the War in the Pacific was the fore-bearer to how the Vietnamese fought during that conflict and you can see why it is difficult to produce the same imagery and grandeur that Band of Brothers had. That's not to say this series won't be as well-done, it is just a different animal. There is also a sense of unfair comparison when you put it up to the Band of Brothers. Island hoping without a visual landscape like the European backdrop can take a viewer some time to adjust. So far, I like the new series. I also still enjoy the out of the Band of Brothers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    My grandfather was a middle gunner in B-17. He flew his 25 missions + 6. He was in England waiting to ship out to Okinawa to build up for a ground assault into Japan.

Thank God for the Nukes......I probably wouldn't be alive if he went to Japan.
    Thats crazy. very similiar to my grandfather. he flew b17 in the air corps, flew his 25 missions + more. He was stationed in Italy but was getting ready to ship out to the pacific before the nukes happened... he always joked about how he was on the last boat to come back from Europe. he loooooved harry truman also.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    needs more character development.. i could name one person's name in the series so far.. with BOB i knew many many more, of course i saw every episode and don't know if i knew the guys 3 episodes in.. but yeah i'll still watch all 10 episodes

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    It's easier to follow characters when they are all together. In The Pacific we're following three different stories so each character's story has had 1/3 of the development time so far compared to Band of Brothers. , the first episode of BoB was one giant character building exercise. After that you felt like you were part of Easy Company.

So far The Pacific has been damn impressive.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yup. It's gonna take some time for me to get the names matched to the faces. But so far, after 2 episodes, I'm hooked. The whole sequence with Agt. Basilone (the Marine with the machine gun and the 3rd-degree burns) was amazing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    I'm renaming episode 3 to "Get Some."

Rugged like Rwanda SpursNextRomanEmpire's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'm renaming episode 3 to "Get Some."
    Exactly what I was thinking

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Episode 3 was pretty terrible.... 4 looks pretty good from the previews though.

These aren't the droids you're looking for jman3000's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    damn... was having high hopes for the series, but from what i've read it seems kinda meh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    would you guys agree theres not many good production from pacific or asian wars...

i wish they did a vietnam one where the guy pulls the trigger on t hat captured vc....thats a classic, someone has it as there sig

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Episode 3 was pretty terrible.... 4 looks pretty good from the previews though.
    Sounds like you're only into the action. Each to his own.

I really enjoyed episode 3 because we finally got into some deeper character development, and also saw a side of the war that no-one really talks about.

One thing I couldn't figure out though, why was Basilone determined to everything up? Mad about his friends' deaths on Guadalcanal? Feeling he's unworthy of the Medal of Honour (which he clearly earned)?

I like that we got a real feeling for Bob's character, and I also enjoyed the cameos from quite a few notable Australian actors and actresses.

They got a historical detail wrong though - we have never been a nation to drink beer out of mugs, we have always used glasses of various sizes with strange names like 'pot'/'middy' and 'schooner':

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Its hard to believe this is from the same guys that brought us Band of Brothers... Seriously, the acting is ing atrocious. The first two episodes blew. Haven't watched the third yet. Not sure I'm gonna either. Seriously disappointed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    would you guys agree theres not many good production from pacific or asian wars...

i wish they did a vietnam one where the guy pulls the trigger on t hat captured vc....thats a classic, someone has it as there sig
    Nope, plenty of great Vietnam War movies (Platoon and Hamburger Hill just for starters), and some pretty good Pacific War movies if you don't mind the historical inaccuracies and '60s/'70s effects. And then there is Thin Red Line which I really didn't get until I saw it for a third time and realised its brilliance.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Episode 3 basically sucked ass. The last 20 minutes were decent but other than that it was slow and boring. Of course not all episodes need to be action packed but they should at least be entertaining which it failed to do. Definitely building up for the next episode but the acting and plot was like it came out of a daytime soap opera and simply failed to captivate one's interest and like the first episode will never be seen again for me which is a stark contrast to Band of Brothers where I've seen all the episodes multiple times. However The Pacific's cinematography and special effects are still damn nice though.

I agree that the Pacific campaign has some pretty ty movies. Thin Red Line, Flags of our Fathers, Pearl Harbor...all pretty bad especially compared to Euro WW2 and Vietnam War films.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Episode 3 was very good. Here was the character development that everyone's been clamoring for and still some of you tools aren't satisfied.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Episode 3 was very good. Here was the character development that everyone's been clamoring for and still some of you tools aren't satisfied.
    Having character development is fine and necessary, it just wasn't executed well or in an interesting way. It felt forced, unbelievable, and too cliche. Its probably just building up for the next episode but for the most part, episode 3 was the worst episode out of both miniseries imo.

Scrumtrulescent
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'll concur with those saying that so far The Pacific has underwhelmed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils

That's Joker in Full Metal Jacket, I believe.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I miss not having HBO.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies

and I also enjoyed the cameos from quite a few notable Australian actors and actresses.

So who was that STUNNING girl who violated "articles" I & II at the end of the episode with the shyest Marine ever? I'm not usually prone to wanting to know more about bit actors in something I'm watching, but she was mesmerizing.

Thread Information