My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By A. Sherrod Blakely
    CSNNE.com

http://www.necn.com/03/08/10/Celtics...16&feedID=3352

BOSTON — As a kid, Michael Finley literally grew up looking up to Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, who, at the time, was a star basketball player at Proviso East High School just outside Chicago.

Like Rivers, Finley would later star at Proviso East. And like Rivers, Finley went on to a standout college career and from there, the NBA.

"He's always been a mentor to me," said Finley, the newest Celtic who now plays for the man who he grew up idolizing as a youth. "He's a role model for me and it goes way back."

Although Rivers never coached Finley until now, he has kept tabs on him through the years.

"I remember literally the day he was born," Rivers said. "Sandra [Finley's sister] was the captain of our cheerleading team for three years. She had to babysit him all the time. I remember everything about him; watched him in grade school, high school and college at Wisconsin."

Rivers added, "one of the things that I've always admired from afar is how he has carried himself. He was a fantastic student at Proviso East and in college, and he has carried himself in a great way in the NBA. Every coach that coached him, loves him, loves his character. Everyone says how good he is in the locker room. When you can add that, you go ahead and grab it."

And while there were several reasons Finley wanted to play for the Celtics, having a chance to be around Rivers ranked high on his list.

"I've watched his career as a basketball player and as a coach," Finley said. "And it's definitely an honor for me to play for him."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fascination with all things Finley is amusing. He's gone, forget about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it appears that I'm starting to tear up, it's just allergies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I miss finley from my 2k10 team. pretty soon T.P will be gone also

kick rocks
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop =

boring is a quality
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finley who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let's see how long the love lasts once fin starts bricking every wide open shot he gets and every time he gets burned on the defensive side of the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finley's gone now and basically has been since the beginning of '08. Thankfully we can move on. Now we need to get Hairston more minutes but that really isn't going to happen unless another player gets hurt, which I pray doesn't happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's Michael Finley?

Thread Information