Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Non-guaranteed means just that...no guarantee any of those players will be on the Spurs roster next year.

And IMO, the only one of those players that plays the same position as Nando is Temple. Also, while he has shown some flashes and athletic ability, I think you'd have to say Nando is probably the better offensive player at this point.

Either way, the point is that Nando makes a lot of sense as a cheap candidate to replace Mason and there seems to be enough room on the roster to accommodate.
    4 non-guaranteed perhaps. But each of those four has a leg up on Nando with respect to learning the system, and doesn't have to worry about cultural acclimation (unlike a Euro coming over for the 1st time...). I can easily see us keeping 2 (Temple & Hairston have already made a decent first impression) of the non-guaranteed... And Nando also has to compete with vet min FA's, and possibly even a LLE signing, as well as 2 draft picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the updates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hairston and Gee are SG/SF. If one is kept and enter in the rotation next year, there is a good chance it will be as backup SF behind RJ.

BTW,
    Good news: Nando is in the all-Eurocup first team:
    http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ule...s/i/69803/3735
    Bad news: he sprained his ankle in practice and could miss the final 4.
    http://www.europapress.es/deportes/b...409131726.html
    Last edited by Bruno; 04-09-2010 at 06:26 AM.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice honor for Nando.
    (btw. he is the by far youngest of the awarded players)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is extending a BAE(LLE) offer to Nando this offseason completely crazy? Even if he spent the part of next season with the Toros, I'd love to have him "in the system", so to speak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is extending a BAE(LLE) offer to Nando this offseason completely crazy? Even if he spent the part of next season with the Toros, I'd love to have him "in the system", so to speak.
    If Nando comes over he might not see much court time in the first year, but I doubt he gets sent down to the d-league. If the Spurs bring him over it's because they've determined he is ready to play in the NBA and has a role (even small) on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like another good game from nando (20 pts)...

Valencia BC advanced to EuroCup Finals after they outplayed Panellinios at the Fernando Buesa Arena in Vitoria. The Spanish outfit had great first half and couple of players in a game mood tonight. Nando De Colo (202-G-87) was the leading one with 20 points (5 triples). Matt Nielsen (208-F/C-78) helped with 16 points and 6 assists, while Thomas Kelati (195-G/F-82, college: Washington St.) added 14 pts in this victory. Kosta Perovic (7 rebs) and Rafael Martinez had with 13 points each. In the loosing squad, Devin Smith (196-G/F-81, college: Virginia) shined with 29 points and 5 boards. Roderick Blakney (181-G-76, college: S.Carolina St.) had 15 pts and 7 assists.
    Panellinios opened the game better taking 10-15 lead, but Valencia quickly replied after that. Rafa Martinez and Nando De Colo helped their team to make 7-2 run and for rest of the first quarter Valencia managed to grab 28-22 lead. Thomas Kelati closed this period with two free throws. Valencia continued in the same rhythm after that. Serhiy Lishchuk (210-C/F-82, agency: Beo Basket) and Kelati shined for the Spanish squad helping it to create 8-0 run for the first double-digit lead in this game, 39-27. Panellinios didnt panic and through Papamakarios, Devin Smith and Vougioukas closed the gap to 39-34. Marko Marinovic (183-G-83) stepped up for Valencia with a triple and Nando De Colo added a lay-up. Soon after that, Marko Marinovic made another bomb and De Colo drained his fifth triple in as many attempts for a 53-39 Valencia margin at halftime. Panellinios came to 53-44 at the beginning of third period and later they cut the margin to 61-51. However, Perovic replied with free throws and Kelati joined him for with jumper and a triple for plus 15, 68-53. Later, actually with one quarter to go, Valencia was 71-58 up. With four minutes left in the game Panellinios threatened as they came to 75-69 and Valencia called a time out. Martinez scored a lay up after that and Smith replied with free throws. Matt Nielsen drained a triple and Blackey matched it from behind the arc. Than, the Australian PF drained another three to seal the victory of his team and to give them a chance to fight for the EuroCup le. by eurobasket news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    our third PG for next season and a replacement for Mason?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's great to see him do so well, but isn't it hard to imagine the Spurs carrying three rookies next year? We can anticipate Splitter coming, and the #20 pick used on a domestic player, most likely, who makes the roster. Will they feel comfortable with another player having no NBA experience?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Valencia easily won the Eurocup final 67-44 against Berlin. It isn't a typo, Berlin really scored only 44 points in 40 minutes.

Nando was fine but quiet in this game with 7 points. What I've like the most from him in this game was his defense.

Valencia is qualified for next year Euroleague. It will encourage Spurs to let Nando one more year in Europe. Next year, Nando will play with Valencia at the highest level outside the NBA (Euroleague + Spanish league). It will be good for his development.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando for the LLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree that it is the more likely we see Nando one more year in Valencia and it's a good scenario that he will play significant minutes in either Euroleague and ACB.
    I still think, do the Spurs at least play with the idea of bringing him over this summer? fact is, RMJ is as good as gone and behind Tony, Hill and Manu there is some room for a young and developing player. and Nando looked that good, mature and confident this season, he he already is at a point in his development, the Spurs likely were expecting to see him in 2011. (at best)
    they might prefer to know rather earlier what he can do in the NBA and how he could fit the teams long term strategies.
    if he in fact has a 700 K NBA buyout and let's guess he is willing to sign a Blair type contract this summer, it might still be a good deal for the Spurs long term.
    if he also stars on Euroleague level next season and becomes a FA without buyout 2011, the Spurs might find themself in a bidding war with top Euro teams. bringing him then might take twice the money than this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This could be interesting.

With Hill, Manu, Temple and Nando, you basically have 4 good shooting guards who can handle the ball pretty well. It gives the Spurs a number of options on who could bring the ball up the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think, do the Spurs at least play with the idea of bringing him over this summer? fact is, RMJ is as good as gone and behind Tony, Hill and Manu there is some room for a young and developing player. and Nando looked that good, mature and confident this season, he he already is at a point in his development, the Spurs likely were expecting to see him in 2011. (at best)
    Yep.

The logical step by step development would be to let him playing the Euroleague next year but he has played so well this year and has shown so much talent that Spurs should maybe rush the process.

I guess Spurs' choice will also depend on their opinion about Temple and his ability to be that 4th guard behind Parker, Hill and Ginobili. Do they see him as a marginal prospect who simple played fearless during his first NBA minutes or do they see him as a legit prospect?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a perfect scenario in my eyes the Spurs would bring in Tiago and Nando on the MLE. if Tiago signs for a starting salary of about 4 million, this would be possible.

a decision between Temple and De Colo clearly would be between defense and offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a perfect scenario in my eyes the Spurs would bring in Tiago and Nando on the MLE. if Tiago signs for a starting salary of about 4 million, this would be possible.

a decision between Temple and De Colo clearly would be between defense and offense.
    Not sure the Spurs would have to make a decision. If De Colo is brought in to replace the spot held by Mason, the Spurs should have enough room for both. And as you say, the two have different strengths that both play a role for this team.

If Mason leaves, Pop will want a shooter...and I think De Colo is a realistic possibility.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I've like the most from him in this game was his defense.
    How much do you think he improved his defense?

I have always been afraid he never makes it to the NBA for being a complete liability against the NBA athletic freaks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much do you think he improved his defense?

I have always been afraid he never makes it to the NBA for being a complete liability against the NBA athletic freaks.
    Nando has been bad to average on the defensive end in most of the games I've watched this year. Against Berlin, he played the best defense I've seen from him this year. This improvement comes from a bigger effort on his part. He put more intensity at fighting through screens and at staying with his man.

Nando will never be a great defender because of his lack of physical tools. But if he isn't coasting like he did sometimes, he is a good defender (at least at the European level).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the latest interview i saw with buford on nando seemed to indicate pretty strongly that he will stay overseas next season but at least for now he looks like a project that is definitely considered a future spur by the FO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the latest interview i saw with buford on nando seemed to indicate pretty strongly that he will stay overseas next season but at least for now he looks like a project that is definitely considered a future spur by the FO
    When was that interview? Not questioning your sources or anything, because it seems to be the consensus by our international contingent that Nando was probably going to stay overseas for another year...until his recent string of exceptional play.

I'm just curious to see if RC said these things before or in the midst of his elevated performance.

Again, I see it as a no-brainer to bring him over as a Mason replacement and get him before he becomes a Euro FA commanding more $$ than the Spurs are willing to spend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When was that interview? Not questioning your sources or anything, because it seems to be the consensus by our international contingent that Nando was probably going to stay overseas for another year...until his recent string of exceptional play.

I'm just curious to see if RC said these things before or in the midst of his elevated performance.

Again, I see it as a no-brainer to bring him over as a Mason replacement and get him before he becomes a Euro FA commanding more $$ than the Spurs are willing to spend.
    That was in L'Equipe a few days ago IIRC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/201004...-20100422.html
    El capitán, Víctor Claver, José Simeón y Nando de Colo son los otros tres jugadores que tienen contrato con la entidad valenciana el próximo año, el de la Euroliga. Competición clave puesto que tanto el agente del base francés como San Antonio Spurs (equipo que le drafteó) querían que este año jugara la máxima competición continental.
    Both Nando's agent and Spurs wanted that Nando plays the Euroleague next year. With Valencia qualified, he will stay with them for next year.

I guess if everything goes well, Nando will sign with Spurs in the 2011 summer. I like that Spurs are taking their time with him. He has the talent to be a good player but the NBA transition won't be easy for him. Letting him one more year in Europe playing at a very high level will help his development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.lasprovincias.es/v/201004...-20100422.html

Both Nando's agent and Spurs wanted that Nando plays the Euroleague next year. With Valencia qualified, he will stay with them for next year.

I guess if everything goes well, Nando will sign with Spurs in the 2011 summer. I like that Spurs are taking their time with him. He has the talent to be a good player but the NBA transition won't be easy for him. Letting him one more year in Europe playing at a very high level will help his development.
    Do you think there's a realistic threat that DeColo's play may progress to a level where it may prove more lucrative for him to remain in Europe at the end of next season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think there's a realistic threat that DeColo's play may progress to a level where it may prove more lucrative for him to remain in Europe at the end of next season?
    Nando is having an amazing year. I'm sure a lot of top teams are still interested in him. If he has a good season next year, he should receive some big offers from Europe.

There will be a new CBA in 2011 but Spurs should be able to offer him more than a minimum contract. Unlike some euro players, the NBA is a goal for him and he wants to play there. He could take a slight pay-cut to go there. A LLE-like contract ($2M per year) could be what it takes to get him.

You also have the risk of the league having a lock out in 2011. If Spurs aren't able to sign him during the 2011 summer because of a lockout, Nando won't stay unemployed and could stay one more year in Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the insight, man.

Thread Information