Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks

so any money that the Parker makes from his cartoons or French league team would be subject, but not nba.
    What I'm sure is that french NBA players don't pay french taxes on their NBA salaries.

I don't know where Parker pay his taxes for his cartoon and advertising incomes. I'm not a taxes expert and as Mel_13 said, Parker is also a US citizen.
    Last edited by Bruno; 12-26-2012 at 09:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't know Tony was a US citizen. Interesting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Under US tax law income is income no matter where it is derived so TP is subject to tax liability on his foreign income (ads, cartoons,etc). Because of US tax reciprocity treaties with many countries however, it's very unlikely that the French based income would be taxed twice (that is, in France as well as US).

Also Citizenship is irrelevant as far as US taxation goes. Undo ented individuals rsiding and working in the US, for example, must still file tax returns (and many do).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't TP's dad a US citizen? He probably acquired it at birth then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop gave a little interview about Nando for his local newspaper:
    http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/gr...-jna0b0n930481

What do you think about Nando, on and off the court?
    The most important is that he has the sense of the game, he really understands it. A lot of players are only skilled athletes but he has the understanding of the game. He sees things than a lot of others don't see and that's why he is a good passer for the moment. He really plays well with his teammates. And he is working hard, he is a hard worker. He came early and left late practices. He is currently improving his jumpshot. He is someone very pleasant
    because he is smart and is always in a steady mood. His teammates really likes him. He is shy so I've sometimes to work hard to make him laugh!

Did you expect to have him immediately at that level?
    NBA newcomers react differently depending on their surrounding, their social background. We never know how it will go. But Nando is so experienced, he has played a lot in Spain for a good team with good coaches, that he hasn't been intimidated at all. He has shown no anxiety signs. He was surely a little nervous but he just came and do a good work. He is getting better and we are really happy about him.

Can he become an important player in your rotation?

Of course, he can. Right now, he is Tony Parker primary backup. He is also playing both PG and SG in some games. He is getting more and more comfortable. He is facing players he doesn't know and who are mostly more athletic than him. Defensively, he must be more clever than them. He is learning that.

What must he improve?
    His shot, being able to shot 3 pointers. He is working hard on that and is improving. Defensively, he must become more consistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spread the floor and he'll get playing time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando had an interview with a french newspaper today.

The most interesting part:

What conclusions do you draw after 3 and a half months in NBA?
    I'm feeling fine in it. I'm now used to Spurs' daily schedule and their practices that are mostly individual ones. I'm working with two assistants coaches every day and I'm getting better week after week. Being a rookie under Gregg Popovich isn't easy but you can still get a little playing time.

Being patient, is it something that can be learned?
    It isn't easy. I won't be waiting 5 years but that's just the beginning, it's a discovery year in a high level team.

The other french rookie, Evan Fournier, is in a much worse situation In Denver...
    He is but Even is coming from Poitiers (bad team of the very average french league). He is the young player that has no European experience. I'm in a different situation. Spurs asked me to get more experiences during 3 years. Starting here from scratch, it's tough.. But I can only look forwards.

Are you better now that you were 6 months ago?
    I hope so! I think I've learned quite a lot of things. Yes, I got better.

The rest of the interview is about how Diaw and to a lesser degree Parker are helping him. Nando is also saying he likes playing alongside Parker and sharing the ball like they did in the Boston game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando had an interview with a french newspaper today.

The most interesting part:

What conclusions do you draw after 3 and a half months in NBA?
    I'm feeling fine in it. I'm now used to Spurs' daily schedule and their practices that are mostly individual ones. I'm working with two assistants coaches every day and I'm getting better week after week. Being a rookie under Gregg Popovich isn't easy but you can still get a little playing time.

Being patient, is it something that can be learned?
    It isn't easy. I won't be waiting 5 years but that's just the beginning, it's a discovery year in a high level team.

The other french rookie, Evan Fournier, is in a much worse situation In Denver...
    He is but Even is coming from Poitiers (bad team of the very average french league). He is the young player that has no European experience. I'm in a different situation. Spurs asked me to get more experiences during 3 years. Starting here from scratch, it's tough.. But I can only look forwards.

Are you better now that you were 6 months ago?
    I hope so! I think I've learned quite a lot of things. Yes, I got better.

The rest of the interview is about how Diaw and to a lesser degree Parker are helping him. Nando is also saying he likes playing alongside Parker and sharing the ball like they did in the Boston game.
    Thanks, Bruno.

Care to share a few thoughts about Nando's state of mind?

A professional athlete will always be disappointed to some extent if his opportunities to play are limited. That's understandable.

My questions would relate to his expectations for this season at the moment he decided to go to the NBA. When I look at the seven guards on the Spurs (TP, Manu, Green, Neal, Mills, Joseph, and Nando), it seems reasonable to me that Nando began training camp as the 6th guard on that list ahead of only Joseph. So it also seems reasonable to me that Nando should have expected that his playing opportunities this season would be quite limited.

Based on what you know about Nando, what expectations for playing time this season do you believe he had at the moment he signed with Spurs? I expect that he hoped for much more, but do you believe that he expected much more?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every guard not named TP Manu and Green has to be frustrated anyway, to me it's crazy that Green is in that list but whatever. The guards situation is a mess, they comitted to too many guards and Pop doesn't know what to do with them so he has Gary Neal playing for his coorporate knowledge and because he's too good not to play, but he plays him out of position so it's counter productive and the results are bad, there's not sugarcoating it...

De Colo could be a good backup SG paired with Mills for instance, he's the perfect backup for Manu, it doesn't get any closer than that skillset wise... Mills and De Colo are the best lite versions of TP and Manu you can probably find out there.

Joseph still a D leaguer must be frustrated as as well when he has better handles and D than any of the PGs on the roster baring TP...

Anyway they better unload some guards or we're looking at 1/ a bad compromise on the floor 2/ chemistry issues waiting to happen and 3 / Pop hesitating thus failing to develop a competent backup backcourt.

When are we playing the Clippers next, Neal Manu are gonna make Bledsoe look like a living god again...
    Last edited by Paranoid Pop; 01-16-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neal-Manu vs Bledsoe is the guard equivalent of Blair vs Bynum last year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, Bruno.

Care to share a few thoughts about Nando's state of mind?
    [...]
    Based on what you know about Nando, what expectations for playing time this season do you believe he had at the moment he signed with Spurs? I expect that he hoped for much more, but do you believe that he expected much more?
    There were another interview where Nando's few days ago where he talked more specifically about it:
    http://www.cholet.maville.com/sport/...73132_actu.Htm

Your role doesn't seem well defined, do you play so little because of that?
    The team is very deep and there is a true hierarchy. For example, the backup PG behind Tony Parker will be Gary Neal even if he isn't a true PG. Most of the time, I'm also playing PG so I had to make my mind that it's my role and that I had to be a playmaker, be ready and follow the consigns. The backup PG role, that's something that I can do. Coach pop has a well oiled system both offensively and defensively. Him and the three stars are playing together for 10 years like the rest of the staff, so it takes time to change things. It's tough but my goal is for sure to earn more playing time.

Were you expecting so much compe ion by coming in the NBA?
    I knew that I had to find a role and that the first year wouldn't be easy. I was quite sure there would have a hierarchy but I didn't think the team would be so deep. However, it was the year to join Spurs. They wnated to sign me and I wanted to try the NBA experiment.

My thoughts on that:
    - Nando has always been an ambitious player. It has edges and drawbacks. In the past, he hasn't been happy with the limited role he had with the French national team or with some coaches in Spain.
    - He agreed to sign with Spurs in June. At that time, only Parker, Ginobili and Neal were planed to be with the team. Joseph was also under contract for 2012-2013 but he was a disaster at that point.
    - I think Nando is giving him a 2 years window to make it in the NBA. Even if he doesn't like it, he is somewhat accepting with not playing a lot this season but it won't be the case next year. If he isn't in the rotation next season with 15-20mpg next season, he will just go back in Europe at the end of his contract with Spurs.
    - More globally, and I've said it for months, Spurs have created a big logjam at PG/SG and it's bad. It reminds me the 09-10 logjam at SG/SF with Hill, Ginobili, Mason, Bogans, Finley and Jefferson. In 09-10, this situation ended pretty badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, Bruno.

My overall impression of Nando has been of a player with the right at ude to succeed over the long term. It is reasonable for him to expect a change in his situation next season, either an expanded role or a new team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truthfully, you want your point guard to be a y a$$hole. Show me a meek point guard and I'll show you an unsuccessful point guard. Every great point guard has been overconfident and arrogant. It's a damn tough position and one that will swallow up anyone who doesn't truly believe that he belongs. With that in mind, I like it that De Colo seems to have some hardheadedness about him. If he was blissfully happy sitting on the end of the bench, I'd question whether he could make it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truthfully, you want your point guard to be a y a$$hole. Show me a meek point guard and I'll show you an unsuccessful point guard. Every great point guard has been overconfident and arrogant. It's a damn tough position and one that will swallow up anyone who doesn't truly believe that he belongs. With that in mind, I like it that De Colo seems to have some hardheadedness about him. If he was blissfully happy sitting on the end of the bench, I'd question whether he could make it.
    As far as THE greatest PG's the game has ever had Im totally with you but today ,for instance, Jose Calderón doesnt fit quite that mold. He is quite confident indeed but I dont see him as a y player yet I believe he is one of the most underrated PG'S in the game today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando gave an interview to his local newspaper:

About his D-League game and the game against Cleveland:

When shots are going in, it's immediately easier. You had to get into your rhythm. I'm saying that since the start of the season: I had to stay ready and be aggressive as soon as I'm on the court. There are some difficult moments, but it can change at every second. The coach can put you in at any time. Regarding the game with the Austin Toros, you had to take it positively when it happens and see it as an additional practice. But for a month, I'm feeling better with my shot.

About not playing despite Parker injury:
    Pop wanted to see what Cory Jospeh, who was playing well in D-league, could do. He was recalled and immediately put in the starting unit. I've talked about that with some assistant coaches. They told me that Pop wanted to test everybody with the playoffs in mind. At that stage of the season, we are really working on the playoffs and the only goal is to win it all. But, of course, when a player at your position got injured, you expect more playing time and responsibilities... It happened to me for some games earlier this season where Tony didn't play. This time, it went differentely... You had to stay positive, keep your head up and stay ready. After that, I'm felling that I'm getting better. I'm working on my fundamentals even if there isn't the playing time I hope for. It's isn't easy but I keep working and I'm not someone that will feel sorry for himself. When you give up, when you lose your focus, it's getting worse.

About the playoffs being in sight:
    Even if you only look at the coaching level, you feel that playoffs are quickly coming. Every day, the coach reminds us that we have played 3/4 of the season at a very good rhythm and it's not the moment to let it go, especially on the defensive end where we reached the top 5. Defense will be what will allow us to advance in the playoffs. He warned us about that. Fe has been with the team for 17 years and he knows what could happen in the playoffs.. We have to keep the first seed to get home court advantage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think Nando broke through the rookie wall with that performance against the Cavs; especially getting his 3s to fall?

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I hope so.

I was most impressed with his defense in the GS game last night. He really made Jack work and messed up his rhythm a bit. Liked the from behind steals for easy baskets too.

Would be nice to see him peak at the right time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An interview he gave to a Spanish website:
    http://www.zonadostres.com/nando-de-...-ser-paciente/

The English version is at the bottom of the page.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An interview, he gave today to his local newspaper:
    http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/sports/nb...a213b0n1268755

The last question is by far the most interesting:

You are now not playing at all, how do you fell about it?
    It's really not easy even more than I was playing for the month before the playoffs. I had 10-15mpg behind Tony. In a way, it piss me off. I've asked an assistant coach if I would be in a suit for the whole series. He told me that I will for the moment but that it could change after every game... These are more the kind of things said to keep you focused. You had to go through that, that's just how it is. After that, it's a coaching decision. As long as you keep winning, there isn't a lot to say about it. We are on the right path, so... I keep working on my side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting indeed. De Colo may be the draft-day trade bait instead of Mills. It's one thing for the Spurs to keep an unhappy player for the rest of the season; it's another for them to go into the season with an unhappy player. I doubt he's causing any sort of distraction, but I could see them parting ways with him if he still hasn't bought in (really, not just in a politically correct way).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hope he keeps a positive at ude. i think he's a perfect offensive compliment for tiago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting indeed. De Colo may be the draft-day trade bait instead of Mills. It's one thing for the Spurs to keep an unhappy player for the rest of the season; it's another for them to go into the season with an unhappy player. I doubt he's causing any sort of distraction, but I could see them parting ways with him if he still hasn't bought in (really, not just in a politically correct way).
    I see nothing wrong with what De Colo is saying. He is just an ambitious player who wants to play more.

Pop and De Colo will likely have a talk during his end of the season exit interview. They should discuss what his role will be next season and if he isn't fine with it, he should be either traded or freed of his contract to go back in Spain.

If Spurs and Pop want it, they can give him a true significant role for next season and go with a Parker, Joseph, De Colo, Green, Ginobili and Leonard perimeter rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see nothing wrong with what De Colo is saying. He is just an ambitious player who wants to play more.

Pop and De Colo will likely have a talk during his end of the season exit interview. They should discuss what his role will be next season and if he isn't fine with it, he should be either traded or freed of his contract to go back in Spain.

If Spurs and Pop want it, they can give him a true significant role for next season and go with a Parker, Joseph, De Colo, Green, Ginobili and Leonard perimeter rotation.
    I agree De Colo has a place with the Spurs if everyone wants to make it work. The fifth guard for the Spurs actually gets a lot of minutes, even in the playoffs. De Colo developing a better offensive game could make him really dangerous in Neal's role. I don't know much about De Colo outside of some interviews you've posted and some other articles from this season, so I won't pretend to know his mentality.

If you think he's likely to accept a fifth-guard role without becoming a distraction, I'll defer to your judgment. But whereas we see Mills act genuinely excited about other's success, I don't get that same feeling from De Colo. Maybe Nando is just compe ive and brutally honest like Parker. I just don't feel all too confident about that interpretation right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think he's likely to accept a fifth-guard role without becoming a distraction, I'll defer to your judgment.
    Well, the size of the "fifth-guard" role will depends on what Spurs will do at the backup SF slot. If Spurs go with Manu at as backup SF, like they are doing in these playoffs, this fifth guard will play a lot. If Spurs sign a quality full-time backup SF, the fifth guard will be out of the rotation when everybody is healthy. Spurs playing some small ball with Kawhi at the PF slot should also open more minutes for the fifth guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually wouldn't mind the idea of letting Ginobili be the primary option to back up Leonard or Green and let De Colo and Bertans compete for the final perimeter rotation spot. If De Colo wins, Ginobili plays the three, but if Bertans wins, Ginobili stays at the two. If Nando loses two compe ions in the same off-season (I think he'll get at least one more try against Joseph), he shouldn't have much to complain about.

Thread Information