one thing can be said for sure after this post season:
    Spurs need shooters. badly.
    Nando can shoot. greatly.
    should be an easy decision. obviously.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Elected the 4th best point guard in the ACB this season. Impressive for a young rookie. I had him 5th, but it's still well-deserved.

http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=67286

I don't think 20% of the MLE is enough to bring De Colo. Maybe next season, but not this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright, from the bits and pieces I've watched of Nando I'm officially very intrigued by him.
    +1

From what I've been reading....he'd be on the cheap to bring over, no?

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe not. but reportedly he has a 500K buy out this summer, which Spurs could cover. I don't know about his current salary, but I assume it isn't more than 500-700 K $.
    (really can't see a rookie from the French league get more in the ACB. might be even less). so, my guess was, if he can get a starting salary of about 1-1.2 million $, he would already make significantly more money in the NBA next season, than he would in his 2nd year in Valencia. his value for sure goes up big time for 2011, but that's still some time till then.
    we must not forget that the whole Greek disaster story will repeat soon in Spain. not that dramatic, hopefully, but take it for sure that the two European leagues that payed the most salary till now will struggle like .
    maybe it still not enough money, but if I'm Nando and I can get something close to 2.5 million $ in guaranteed money this summer, I would really consider it.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Where did you get that buyout clause value from? I think the number for this off-season is a bit higher than that, basically the double. Also for his salary... the thing is, De Colo's salary includes the money he had to pay to Cholet. You factor all that and I doubt that 20% of the MLE after taxes would actually put more money in his bank account this season.

ANd he doesn't have to worry about contracts going down (which should happen overall but it won't happen in every club), he has a contract signed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did you get that buyout clause value from? I think the number for this off-season is a bit higher than that, basically the double. Also for his salary... the thing is, De Colo's salary includes the money he had to pay to Cholet. You factor all that and I doubt that 20% of the MLE after taxes would actually put more money in his bank account this season.

ANd he doesn't have to worry about contracts going down (which should happen overall but it won't happen in every club), he has a contract signed.
    from this thread. Bruno mentioned it. (the 500K as a guess)
    I didn't talk about salary going down. Nando's 2010-11 salary will be what is inked. I was talking about the options for 2011. there is absolutely no guarantee what kind of contracts ACB teams will be able to hand out. fact is, Spain will face tough times. the golden days of playing basketball in Spain or Greece will be over soon. players might prefer to get guaranteed money from a NBA team right now.

and btw. that 1-1.2 million $ are just a number. it was more about give the idea where it could come from. if it takes the BAE to get Nando, I would still do it.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    European basketball has been facing tough times for awhile - Valencia is a good example of that, CSKA is another. But while the NBA is a league where the teams ability and willingness to pay salaries is correlated with the economic climate, European basketball is not a rational enterprise from an economic perspective. I doubt you'll see a decrease in the earning potential of the top players.

Yeah, the BAE would be enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, tough times is what some teams and countries went thru in the last years..
    but you might have realized, that what happens in Greece is far beyond that. that's a totally new situation. a countrie that goes bankrupt and needs to be bailed out by the other EU countries. only by accepting draconic requirements and command.
    you really think Germany and the others will accept for half a second that some megalomaniac Greece owners will furthermore put tons of evaded tax into the teams with the state of Greece further subsidizing the whole fraud by taking enormous costs for the environment and infrastructure of the teams?
    this is over.
    and the same will happen in Spain within the next six months. not as brutal, but more significant than they imagine right now. (the 750 billion Euro Aid Package the EU decided on Monday was primary decided to prepare for the upcoming Spain crisis)

this summer we will see the beginning of a big exodus of players from Europe to the NBA. they will be accepting contracts that wouldn't even have cost them a mild smile a year ago.
    let's talk again in August or September.

In Manu we STILL trust! rayray2k8's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is not on the minds of the Spurs FO at the moment. Spurs need to fix other issues before they can bring this guy over and im sure they'll address him before anything else.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    well, tough times is what some teams and countries went thru in the last years..
    but you might have realized, that what happens in Greece is far beyond that. that's a totally new situation. a countrie that goes bankrupt and needs to be bailed out by the other EU countries. only by accepting draconic requirements and command.
    you really think Germany and the others will accept for half a second that some megalomaniac Greece owners will furthermore put tons of evaded tax into the teams with the state of Greece further subsidizing the whole fraud by taking enormous costs for the environment and infrastructure of the teams?
    this is over.
    and the same will happen in Spain within the next six months. not as brutal, but more significant than they imagine right now. (the 750 billion Euro Aid Package the EU decided on Monday was primary decided to prepare for the upcoming Spain crisis)

this summer we will see the beginning of a big exodus of players from Europe to the NBA. they will be accepting contracts that wouldn't even have cost them a mild smile a year ago.
    let's talk again in August or September.
    The bail-outs are an absolute disgrace - and the austerity measures are too soft -, but what exactly do you think the Germans will do with the Angelopoulos injecting money in Olympiacos, for example? Invade the Balkans? They became even richer with the financial crisis and the state of the Greek economy is pretty irrelevant to their personal fortunes. Or the Spaniards? They wont' scale down their investment on the football teams, let alone the basketball ones. The problem is in the government, anyway. It's the politicians that must control their spending habits. Sports clubs too, but they've done much of it in the last couple of years. If they want to avoid fiscal evasion, they better bring down tax rates. They wont' increase the income tax on top level salaries (like the ones basketball players make) any time soon because that would screw them even more, making it harder to attract investment and high-level professionals.

I doubt you'll see any big exodus. Mostly because there aren't enough quality players in Europe to see a mass migration to the NBA. You'll see the guys who were expected to move - Splitter, Pekovic, Childress, maybe someone like McCalleb, maybe Kleiza, a few other guys like Brezec last season - but that's all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when is the latest Colo's season will end?

And I'm in the camp of bringing him over now. Especially after reading he'll get the same number of minutes here, they will just be more spread out. Just play him against scrubs until he dominates them.

OTOH, with Hairston/Gee/Temple fighting for the 1-3 spots, there just might not be enough space. Gee and Hairston will prob be competing for the same spot, but who knows? There could be as many as 4 rookies on the team, but TD, MG, TP, GH, DB, RJ, AM should be enough to have balance. And please don't ask me what Ian and Hairston are. I don't believe Splitter and Colo shouldn have a hard a time adjusting, seeing how close their compe ion is to NBA level.

If Bogans leaves with Mason, the roster could be:

Parker/Temple
    Hill/Manu/Colo
    Gee/RJ/Hairston
    Tim/Blair
    Splitter/Dice/Bonner or Ian

That would be a sick lineup. Maybe as many as 4 shooters (if Temple is consistent) instead of the 2 they had this year. I know Pop wants to get younger and more athletic, but he played Bonner whilst crying for the Ds of lockdown defense, and didn't coach well enough to have the team gel earlier in the year. Not to flame him, only a psychic could see the chemistry problems before they hatched. But it is all on him Theo left, yet no effort was made to truly integrate Hairston or Ian into the roster.

P.S. I know I'm dreaming, and I don't realistically expect more than 4 rookies, with Splitter and Temple being givens. Plus, Pop will sign some zombie for the minimum. Too bad if he gets it right he gives the dude to Larry Brown for peanuts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when is the latest Colo's season will end?
    Spanish league playoffs schedule (at the bottom of the page):
    http://www.acb.com/calendario.php?vd...cod_edicion=54

In theory, it's June 19th.
    Saying that, if Valencia won their first round match up, they will likely face Barcelona in the next round. Barcelona is the best team in Europe, Valencia should lost this series.

So Nando end of the season will be:
    At the earliest: May 22th.
    At the latest: June 6th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If his team wins it all that might force Pop's hand, as he'll obviously have a big role, since he's already the 2nd best guy on his team.

If he comes over at 23 that'd be great. I really don't want him to be as old as Manu his "rookie" year. 24 wouldn't be too bad, though. Giving him time to shine in Europe could bite the Spurs on the ass if others notice his greatness, which undoubtedly they already have.
    Last edited by Manufan909; 05-13-2010 at 01:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bail-outs are an absolute disgrace - and the austerity measures are too soft -, but what exactly do you think the Germans will do with the Angelopoulos injecting money in Olympiacos, for example? Invade the Balkans?
    don't get me wrong, it's not about the Angelopoulos brother or that Angela Merkel calls George Papandreou to stop some player signings. of course not.
    it's the big picture.
    the Greek disaster comes from several reasons and one of the major reasons is the tax avoidance, which has reached unbelievable dimensions. (30 billion euro per). especially the rich don't pay taxes. not at all. they currupt some tax officers. deal done.
    and this will need to stop, or EU will stop sending money. why? aside the fact that the whole Greek package is very unpopular in the "payer" countries (Germany as well as Austria, per head Austria pays even more than they do), what people hate most is the point, that more or less the people from European countries pay the taxes of rich Greeks. and that's why EU will force Greece government to stop this. because otherwise they will lose their election in their home country. (like Merkel had to learn a week ago in the most populous German federal state)
    what does this have to do with basketball?
    well, the whole Greek league is run by black money. plus non payed social insurance contributions. that's millions and millions. the moment they start tax inspections there (and they will need to, for the mentioned reasons) the league will collapse. that moment the Angelopoulos money is irrelevant.
    players will just try to escape that situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Power Electronics Valencia, considering to transfer Kosta Perovic to keep Neven Spahija

The talks about the extension of Neven Spahija's contract with Power Electronics Valencia are right now on stand-by. The Spanish club wants to keep the Croatian coach, but the economical demands of Spahija could force Power Electronics Valencia to sell a player to afford his salary. The main candidate to leave is the Serbian center Kosta Perovic. Teams like Caja Laboral could be one of the teams that would be interested in Perovic. Matt Nielsen, another target of Caja Laboral, could also decide whether to stay or not in Valencia depending on the renewal of Spahija's contract.
    http://thehoopsmarket.blogspot.com/s...ics%20Valencia
    Valencia might as well be interested to get some buy out money for De Colo?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://acbtv.acb.com/video/2891

A couple of highlight reel passes from nando today..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, the spurs really need to think about bringing this kid over for next season. He would really help on 3 pt shooting and could take over that RMJ role, take a look, each video pertains to a single game in eurocup finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amz1ihK1EmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O-4cSbSbw
    Last edited by yavozerb; 05-19-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    As a side note, I highly doubt Spahija's contractual situation is really about money. They want to get rid of him - someone inside the club - and there are some power struggles going on. It's going to be interesting to follow, especially if they're kicked out in the 1st round.
    And he's gone. De Colo will have a new coach next season.
    Last edited by mogrovejo; 05-24-2010 at 10:36 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear you. let's not turn the DeColo thread into a political forum about Greece.
    (my fault I know, I started this)
    maybe we can agree about two points:
    with the Euro losing quickly against the $ and the two European countries with the highest paying leagues in significant economic struggles, the NBA has won back a lot of attraction, also (or especially) for players who would have to start on a low salary level in the NBA. (which is the case for DeColo)

Their problem is in the government debt, the government workers retiring when they're 45 years old with full salaries guaranteed till the end of their life.
    it doesn't even always stop at the end
    Greece is probably the only country that has a rule that this retired income of government workers can be transmitted to heirs. no joke. the salary of a father goes to the daughter, if she isn't married or she is divorced. that rule cost the country another billion $ per.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Spurs front office is reconsidering their decision to leave de Colo over in Europe next season, he was en fuego for the latter part of the season, and the highlights I'm seeing are damn impressive for any basketball player.

De Colo should be a spur next season, I hope RC and Pop get their heads out of their stubborn asses for once.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope the Spurs front office is reconsidering their decision to leave de Colo over in Europe next season, he was en fuego for the latter part of the season, and the highlights I'm seeing are damn impressive for any basketball player.

De Colo should be a spur next season, I hope RC and Pop get their heads out of their stubborn asses for once.
    I agree, but how many times has the front office (pop) changed their stance on a situation like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, the spurs really need to think about bringing this kid over for next season. He would really help on 3 pt shooting and could take over that RMJ role, take a look, each video pertains to a single game in eurocup finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amz1ihK1EmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O-4cSbSbw
    Reminds me a lot of Manu, especially offensively. Doesn't seem like he attacks the basket quite as much as a young Manu, but his perimeter game (dribbling, passing, running offense) is very similar. As long as he isn't a total liability defensively, he could definitely provide some solid minutes on the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring him in

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but how many times has the front office (pop) changed their stance on a situation like this.
    Those two (Pop and RC) might be smart, but they have to be the most stubborn assholes in the nba when it comes to stuff like this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched that playoff game against Joventut from the 15th and was disappointed. Yes, he had the slick passes that I had seen him with before. He also mostly took smart shots and also knew when to re-feed the post instead of being selfish. Didn't shoot too well but hey, it's just one game.

But he also was benched for crunch-time in the 4th after a terrible turnover. He had his typical bad turnovers in the game but was less reckless than I remember him.

The worst thing was his defense. I remember him being bad, but he was exceptionally awful this game. He looked like he would quit on defense anytime he encountered a pick. He just ended up casually following the general direction his man went and waited for someone else to make a play, his man to score, or his man to miss. He also got lost several time just trying to stay with his man without the ball around some modest screens. I was shocked and had to wonder if he has some kind of blood-sugar issue because he looked even worse than Mason, much worse. The kind of effort he had in that game would have him doghoused for all time if he did that as a Spur.

Thread Information