Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Born: Jun 23, 1987
    Height: 6-5 / 1.96
    Weight: 200 lbs. / 90.7 kg.

Info
    Last edited by Bruno; 08-25-2012 at 12:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to know what it'll take to get this kid over ($$) next year as a Mason replacement. And I'd like to know just how likely that scenario is.

Any insights from Bruno or the international ST community?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando is under contract with Valencia next year but his contract is said to have a buyout clause for the NBA. I don't know the amount of this buyout but it should be reasonable (in the $500K area).

A guaranteed minimum contract should be enough to get him. Maybe a second year guaranteed will be needed but Nando is a cheap option.

And I don't think Nando will be a Spur next year and it would be a Spurs' FO choice. They will decide to let him grow in Europe for at least one more year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think next season after signing Manu (which I think will happen) the spurs will be in even more of a cost cutting salary mode. If they can sign this kid for cheap, they may just try and bring him over. But yes, I do agree that another year for this kid in Europe would be the best route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando is under contract with Valencia next year but his contract is said to have a buyout clause for the NBA. I don't know the amount of this buyout but it should be reasonable (in the $500K area).

A guaranteed minimum contract should be enough to get him. Maybe a second year guaranteed will be needed but Nando is a cheap option.

And I don't think Nando will be a Spur next year and it would be a Spurs' FO choice. They will decide to let him grow in Europe for at least one more year.
    Thanks Bruno.

I just saw the departure of Finley and likely departure of Mason as an opportunity to bring over Nando as a backcourt option. But, I trust that you know alot more about how ready Nando is for the NBA than I do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just saw the departure of Finley and likely departure of Mason as an opportunity to bring over Nando as a backcourt option. But, I trust that you know alot more about how ready Nando is for the NBA than I do.
    In a recent interview, Claudio Crippa (Spurs european scout) said that Nando will likely stay another year in Europe. It seems that Spurs evaluation is that he isn't ready for the NBA.

Nando is a great situation in Valencia for his development. His coach (Neven Spahija) trust him a lot and gives him a lot of playing time. He is also a good friend of pop which help the situation with Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a recent interview, Claudio Crippa (Spurs european scout) said that Nando will likely stay another year in Europe. It seems that Spurs evaluation is that he isn't ready for the NBA.

Nando is a great situation in Valencia for his development. His coach (Neven Spahija) trust him a lot and gives him a lot of playing time. He is also a good friend of pop which help the situation with Spurs.
    Thanks for the info. Is he still primarily playing the PG position for his team, or has he shifted off the ball?

I recall you saying that his long-term position in the NBA would be as a SG...so that's why I ask.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info. Is he still primarily playing the PG position for his team, or has he shifted off the ball?

I recall you saying that his long-term position in the NBA would be as a SG...so that's why I ask.
    He is almost only playing PG with Valencia.
    Saying that, it isn't a bad thing for his development because it allows him to have a lot the ball in his hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if the spurs are salary cutting next season, they still need to fill the roster anyway..so i dont see why they cant bring him over when the guys 11-15 on the roster are usually on minimum contracts who dont even get muct court time anway...

why not bring him over and learn the system to start that 2yr jax program

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He is almost only playing PG with Valencia.
    Saying that, it isn't a bad thing for his development because it allows him to have a lot the ball in his hands.
    I agree, his handling needed (and needs) work. He'll never be a PG, but he can make plays and is unselfish. With a better handling and more control he's a guy you can use to absorb some playmaking duties with little risk.

He's probably going to be too much of a defensive liability in the NBA though, even guarding slower wings.

Good player, strong intangibles and knows how to put the ball in the basket, I like him. it allows him to have a lot the ball in his hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meanwhile mavs are playing Rodrigues....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando has made some spectacular actions today:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nando has made some spectacular actions today:

Thanks for posting this Bruno ! nice highlights, Nando can shoot the 3 !

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    short update.
    De Colo continued his good play in the last games and crowned it by a fantastic game last Sunday. 27 points on 9-11 FG (4-5 3s).
    ok, Murcia are like the Nets of the ACB, but beating the Nets on their homecourt also isn't something every team is capable of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    short update.
    De Colo continued his good play in the last games and crowned it by a fantastic game last Sunday. 27 points on 9-11 FG (4-5 3s).
    ok, Murcia are like the Nets of the ACB, but beating the Nets on their homecourt also isn't something every team is capable of.
    Yes, he was great in that game.

BTW, a little reminder for people that have missed it:
    You can watch for free Spanish league games on their website. About 50% of the games are streamed in live and also can be re-watched. If you want to see more of De Colo and Splitter than highlights, it's a great way to do so.

For example, De Colo last game against Murcia:
    http://acb360.orange.es/diferidos/LACB/54/246

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought Nando won't be a possibility for 2010 and that 2011 (when his contract with Valencia has expired) will be the right time.
    now I do think the Spurs should think hard about bringing him in this summer.
    (if he in fact has only a 500K buy out). I'm really very impressed how mature and confident his game looks. and athletically he is what he is. I don't think he will improve much in this department. (maybe bulk up a bit, 5-10lbs wouldn't hurt).
    Valencia is a pretty good team and Nando looks as if he has been leading this team for years and played in the ACB for years. none would guess he is a rookie in that league. and that's IMO the biggest point for him. obviously he can adjust to a new situation immediately and fill exactly the role his coach wants him to play.
    another reason to bring him 2010 could be financially. if Nando plays another season like that (or even better), he will get big offers in Spain. (or somewhere else in Europe). Spurs will have to replace Mason anyhow and I can see Nando provide much of what Mason did. (I can see him even be better in the role, that Pop tried to give Mason last season. his ability to occasionally run the point should be much better). he could be a cheap replacement for Mason. (even if the Spurs pay the buy out).

btw. defense. he will struggle, no doubt. but I can't see a reason why he shouldn't be able to provide on defense what Re does and Re 's defense is good enough to allow him to play a significant role for one of the best teams. (this doesn't mean Re is a good comparison overall. just on defense)

btw. Valencia. really a good team that can put impressive size on the floor (even for NBA standards) with Perovic, Claver, Lishchuk and Nielsen. but I'm a bit disappointed about Claver this season. I thought he will break out this year, but he still doesn't look as good as last season (before the injury). plays to passive for stretches IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If De Colo possesses Red 's tenacity and discipline on the defensive end he has yet to show it. Red is even above average defending guys off-the-ball, chasing people around screens, playing ball denial chest-to-chest. He's very active with his hands, has great awareness, doesn't make mistakes. Maybe it's possible De Colo's intensity and work rate explode (not right now, but with a much smaller offensive role in the NBA), but I wouldn't count on it.

Agreed about Claver, he's yet to recover his pre-injury form.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If De Colo possesses Red 's tenacity and discipline on the defensive end he has yet to show it. Red is even above average defending guys off-the-ball, chasing people around screens, playing ball denial chest-to-chest. He's very active with his hands, has great awareness, doesn't make mistakes. Maybe it's possible De Colo's intensity and work rate explode (not right now, but with a much smaller offensive role in the NBA), but I wouldn't count on it.

Agreed about Claver, he's yet to recover his pre-injury form.
    Red has gotten much more aggressive since his rookie year..Its all about nba experience and seeing what a player has to do to succeed to stay with your man and play average defense (cause both these guys main asset is scoring). De colo will be really soft I think when he start his nba career and hopefully like red he will get better on D with experience. I do disagree about red being an above average defender though, he can stay with his man with some help, but in no way is he above average.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always thought Nando won't be a possibility for 2010 and that 2011 (when his contract with Valencia has expired) will be the right time.
    now I do think the Spurs should think hard about bringing him in this summer.
    (if he in fact has only a 500K buy out). I'm really very impressed how mature and confident his game looks. and athletically he is what he is. I don't think he will improve much in this department. (maybe bulk up a bit, 5-10lbs wouldn't hurt).
    Valencia is a pretty good team and Nando looks as if he has been leading this team for years and played in the ACB for years. none would guess he is a rookie in that league. and that's IMO the biggest point for him. obviously he can adjust to a new situation immediately and fill exactly the role his coach wants him to play.
    another reason to bring him 2010 could be financially. if Nando plays another season like that (or even better), he will get big offers in Spain. (or somewhere else in Europe). Spurs will have to replace Mason anyhow and I can see Nando provide much of what Mason did. (I can see him even be better in the role, that Pop tried to give Mason last season. his ability to occasionally run the point should be much better). he could be a cheap replacement for Mason. (even if the Spurs pay the buy out).
    The fact that he's been playing well is good news. With as much roster turnover as is to be expected in the off-season (only Big 3 + RJ on guaranteed contracts), Nando could be another cheap young option to help fill out the roster.

I like the comments about his shooting ability and intangibles...sounds very Spur-like. I'll be excited to see how this situation develops in the off-season.

Veteran
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Red has gotten much more aggressive since his rookie year..Its all about nba experience and seeing what a player has to do to succeed to stay with your man and play average defense (cause both these guys main asset is scoring). De colo will be really soft I think when he start his nba career and hopefully like red he will get better on D with experience. I do disagree about red being an above average defender though, he can stay with his man with some help, but in no way is he above average.
    He's an above average off-the-ball defender; he's below average if isolated in the wing, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finley is gone. Mason should left the team this summer. If Spurs sign Splitter, Bonner will either be gone or play a more limited role. As a result, Spurs will badly need to add some outside shooting this summer.

Spurs also don't have a player to fix this lack of shooting in their roster. Temple, Gee and Hairston aren't good shooters. Jerrels is a better one but he seems to be a not that good prospect. They will need to add player(s) that are good shooters. Nando isn't a that bad solution even if Spurs have other ones like their first round pick or via free agency.

In ten days, Valencia will play the Eurocup final four and the result of it could be a big factor in Spurs' choice to bring or not Nando this summer. If Valencia win the Eurocup, they will be qualified for next year Euroleague. It could convince Spurs to let Nando one more year in Europe where he will play high level games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming next year, where the heck does he fit? He can't play SF at the NBA level (IMO), which leaves 6 roster spots between PG and SG.
    We have 2 good PGs - Parker, Hill
    We have 1 good SG - Manu
    3 of 6 spots guaranteed.
    We have the following non guaranteed:
    PGs- Jerrels
    PG/SG - Temple
    SG - Hairston, Gee

That's 7 bodies competing for 6 spots, without Nando. While I expect them to try and use a couple of those non-guaranteed contracts as trade chips, there isn't a lot of room left, particularly as we might see a SG from the draft (eg. Draftexpress has us drafting James Anderson, a SG). I am not sure I see a lot of room for Nando to join the club next year...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya, I dont see nando here next season as well...I have not seen Gee play much, but I dont see the spurs picking up both guys. I would think Gee and hairston compete for 1 spot and jerrels at this point is not needed if temple continues doing well as the 3rd pg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he would fit pretty nice when Mason is gone. as you counted, there are only 3 guards under contract for next season. Spurs will need at least 5.
    he wouldn't come in to play a top 8 role in the rotation anyhow. he could find minutes as 3rd PG and as 3rd SG, maybe 15 MPG overall. if he shoots the 3 well, this would still be a helpful addition, especially if the price is low.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming next year, where the heck does he fit? He can't play SF at the NBA level (IMO), which leaves 6 roster spots between PG and SG.
    We have 2 good PGs - Parker, Hill
    We have 1 good SG - Manu
    3 of 6 spots guaranteed.
    We have the following non guaranteed:
    PGs- Jerrels
    PG/SG - Temple
    SG - Hairston, Gee

That's 7 bodies competing for 6 spots, without Nando. While I expect them to try and use a couple of those non-guaranteed contracts as trade chips, there isn't a lot of room left, particularly as we might see a SG from the draft (eg. Draftexpress has us drafting James Anderson, a SG). I am not sure I see a lot of room for Nando to join the club next year...
    Non-guaranteed means just that...no guarantee any of those players will be on the Spurs roster next year.

And IMO, the only one of those players that plays the same position as Nando is Temple. Also, while he has shown some flashes and athletic ability, I think you'd have to say Nando is probably the better offensive player at this point.

Either way, the point is that Nando makes a lot of sense as a cheap candidate to replace Mason and there seems to be enough room on the roster to accommodate.

Thread Information