Post Count

Richard Jefferson | F
    Born: Jun 21, 1980
    Height: 6-7 / 2.01
    Weight: 225 lbs. / 102.1 kg.
    College: Arizona
    Years Pro: 8

info
    Last edited by Bruno; 03-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if anyone will bite on his expiring during the off-season? Probably not. And maybe the team wants to keep him to let his contract expire? I hope not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I hope they find a way to dump him during the offseason. Total disappointment, and is taking away minutes that could be given to the youngins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm more optimistic than most here about another team taking his expiring contract, but it's still more likely that the FO won't be able to move him..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him away. I don't care if he looks better lately. We can do better with 14 million than what we have with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was pretty high on RJ at the beginning year and thought he could regain his NJ Net form, but for the most part, he's been a disappointment for what he's worth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give RJ some credit...

He has really picked it up on the rebounding and defensive end (both man and help D), and I've seen a few games post-All Star Break where he was relentlessly attacking the rim.

Having said that, the last two games have been a step backward offensively as he's still mostly content to settle for Js...most of which are misses. Unless he regains that aggressiveness and consistently shows it in the playoffs, it's pretty clear at this point he's more valuable to the Spurs as an expiring contract than he is as a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson has shown flashes of playing better defense. I'm hoping that in the playoffs he'll bring it. If the Spurs win a couple or start to play better, I think he could be a factor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if anyone will bite on his expiring during the off-season? Probably not. And maybe the team wants to keep him to let his contract expire? I hope not.
    Well, it's going to be one of those.

I'm hoping that maybe they can pluck Anthony Randolph (allegedly, GS says he can be had) and maybe a couple of bad contracts like Maggette and Turiaf for RJ in the offseason. AR's huge upside is worth eating those deals, even though I think Maggette might actually have some gas left.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You soft, gutless vagina. I wish you never existed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You soft, gutless vagina. I wish you never existed.
    While I won't wish him out of existence, I do agree with the first part. Hairston needs to see his minutes, along with whatever wing player we acquire at the 20 spot and any LLE players who actually possess a heart.

Unfortunately, after this performance, even someone as stupid as Jefferson will realize he'll get nothing on the open market and won't opt out. If it's possible to get rid of his worthless carcass, great; if not, let him sit and pine for the days when Kidd could earn him an undeserved, bloated contract.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm....

Eh, I still wish he never existed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So after all the hoopla of the off season about Jefferson's signing and the disappointing result, what do y'all think would happen if we could hypothetically trade Jefferson for Iguadala? Would Andre have the same drop-off in production in our system, or would he be significantly better than RJ? I'm asking because I've only seen him play a couple of times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i told everyone before the offseason this wouldnt work but everything got hyped up like me and bought his ing jersey

igodula is everything we wish jefferson could of been he can take it to the hoop and throw it down and can shoot and just isnt a transition player if we add andre then team could be legit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please do an "extend and trade" deal with Knicks for Curry+Chandler+cash.

Chandler can't shoot but he is a way better defender than RJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could have sworn that Chandler was a FA on the ESPN FA page, but he isn't on there anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought RJ was pretty solid defensively especially after all-star break. Kinda torn on what I would like to see the Spurs handle RJ. I am more willing to give him another chance than to give him up for virtually nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless RJ opts out of his contract this summer, I hope the Spurs can unload him at the trade deadline. Assuming of course, they can get great value in return. By then, they should be able to get more for his expiring contract. Also, I'm hopeful that, whichever young SF they draft, he will be ready and able to assume a starting role, by midseason.

On the other hand, if said SF develops slowly, it may make some sense for the Spurs to hang onto RJ the entire season.
    Last edited by SenorSpur; 06-13-2010 at 01:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs do a trade with RJ this summer or at the deadline, a part of the players they will get back should have an expiring contract. For example, a trade like RJ for Iguodala likely isn't financially realistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would rather have RJ than Curry. But I like that kinda.

Still now that I think about it, I really hope RJ doesn't opt out. This is his second season with the Spurs so I think he'll be more agressive, and it will be a contract year so I hope he plays like he wants another nice contract. Even if he isn't with the Spurs in the 11-12 season, I don't think the Spurs have anything to gain by RJ opting out and they'll lose an athletic small forward.

Hopefully RJ stays, and the Spurs draft (or sign) a legit young athletic small forward to be his replacement next season. And if RJ does stay maybe the Spurs can use his expiring to get another player.
    That would be a dream scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope RJ opts out. I know that might hurt the Spurs from a "talent & trade standpoint", but if they aren't likely to move RJ for an impact player like Iggy, then the Spurs won't lose much from an "impact" standpoint and they will save 20M+.
    Last edited by DPG21920; 06-13-2010 at 03:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well realistically we have to hope that RJ plays much better, because he likely is going no where. So that is all we really have. Obviously, I am skeptical just because of his game. You can't change his game and his game is not a great fit.

Sure, if he does a few things better (focuses on rebounding, defense and aggression) it would go a long way to helping out, but his overall game is not a great fit for the holes in the Spurs team right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RJ should look better in the next season since he'll have experience in the system and its a contract year but I think he's destined to being traded out by February (doubt anyone would want him before then either).

He showed good character by acknowledging his disappointments to the team throughout the season and in the playoffs he was one of the "dogs" that Pop was talking about. In the playoffs it was interesting to see RJ basically abandon the floor spacing idea since he chose to stay in front of the 3-point line even though he received a lot of open looks. In fact he only attempted 5 three's in the playoffs and only made one --- Tony Parker was 2/3 by comparison. RJ just doesn't seem comfortable as a spot-up/set shooter and his defense also leaves a lot to be desired. Jefferson only adds to the Spurs liabilities of not only being a poor three point shooting team but also a limited team defensively.

With the emergence of George Hill, RJ's scoring role might lessen as well. I can also see RJ spending a lot of minutes in the doghouse even though they want to trade him by Feb. Spurs need to give minutes to Hairston and whoever else makes up the SF rotation to prepare for RJ's hole on the roster. Hopefully it being a contract year will only strengthen RJ's game since there's always a chance that a player could try too much and force too many bad issues in such cir stances.

In any case the Spurs should also find a way to get Manu and RJ on the court at the same time since Jefferson seems to have the most chemistry with him making plays as opposed to Tony or Hill. Spurs need to find RJ cutting more and use that reverse jam and layup that he's good at. More importantly, he and the Spurs need to get tough defensively. Spurs used to be able to create offense through their defense which should help get RJ easy transition points. Hopefully having a mobile and good-passing 7-footer in Tiago will help create easy offense for athletes like RJ. Oh yea, the Spurs also need to FEED RJ THE BALL on a fast break more often. There were too many times where RJ was open on the fastbreak yet overlooked which must be ty for his momentum since thats his bread and butter.

All that said it would've been interesting to see how the Spurs would've done with Jason Richardson, Caron Butler, Stephen Jackson, or even Grant Hill taking up RJ's minutes. I'm not saying the Spurs had a realistic shot at getting those guys (especially the PHX ones) but they sure as seemed like better assets to their team than RJ.

It'll also be interesting to see what kind of players and contracts the Spurs would want in return for RJ's expiring. If the other SF's in the rotation don't pan out then they're going to have to find a three point shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Based off the Spurs history I would not expect them to trade an expiring for a long term deal (although the Spurs did try and go after Gasol, which is why Pop was so upset when the Lakers got him for nothing). However, I know the Spurs coaching staff is high on Iguodala, which is why I am always tossing him in trade options. I was talking to Coach Don Newman and he thinks that Iggy is the best athlete in the NBA. I thought he was crazy with players like LeBron and Josh Smith being better, but I trust his opinion.
    Hey Phila, do you get the feeling the Spurs may be high enough on Iggy, that they would actually do a deal to bring him, and his gargantuan contract, to S.A.? Perhaps in an RJ swap?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A RJ trade that could make sense is with Houston: RJ for Ariza and Jeffries.

Ariza has had a so-so season with Rockets and they could decide to move his contract. It could be even more the case if they didn't like the bigmen available at the 14h pick and draft Paul George.

Thread Information