Page 10 of 162 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Paris Saint-Germain FC
    Post Count
    harder to play when Xavi and Iniesta are not on your team.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    he's still the best in the world and you can lol all you want but you know it's true.
    no he is not

Schweinsteiger, Müller, sneijder say o

Oh and Klose is deserving some love too ! dude scored 13 !

The best players in the world show their talent during the World Cup

My Team
    AC Milan
    Post Count
    Agreed

Whether it's World Cup, Champions, domestic leagues, etc... It doesn't matter what compe ion, the best players prove it on whatever stage they're on.

My Team
    Brazil
    Post Count
    lmao most shots in world cup history without a goal

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Messi is like LBJ a regular season mvp ringless

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Love Messi, but dude shat the bed Rooney/CRonaldo style. Don't give a about his "near" goals and what not. It's all about what you produce. Granted, ty tactics didn't help him, but still.

lol messi

lol "underrated" performance

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    Love Messi, but dude shat the bed Rooney/CRonaldo style. Don't give a about his "near" goals and what not. It's all about what you produce. Granted, ty tactics didn't help him, but still.
    Shat the bed are you serious? Do you understand anything about sports? Go re-watch any of the Argentina games, as soon as he touches the ball, half the defense focuses in on him. No player draws more defensive attention than Messi. In some of the games he would get intentionally fouled early just to stop his runs from ever occurring. Over and over. And all of that explains why it wasn't him scoring the goals, but all the other players on the team. With so much attention on him everybody else got the scraps (Higuain especially). Once Messi starts nearing the box, 3, 4, or 5 defenders would close in on him, and it's pretty tough to get a clear shot off with so many defenders in your area, most players aren't skilled enough to even get as many shots off as he did in those situations.

My Team
    Brazil
    Post Count
    Shat the bed are you serious? Do you understand anything about sports? Go re-watch any of the Argentina games, as soon as he touches the ball, half the defense focuses in on him. No player draws more defensive attention than Messi. In some of the games he would get intentionally fouled early just to stop his runs from ever occurring. Over and over. And all of that explains why it wasn't him scoring the goals, but all the other players on the team. With so much attention on him everybody else got the scraps (Higuain especially). Once Messi starts nearing the box, 3, 4, or 5 defenders would close in on him, and it's pretty tough to get a clear shot off with so many defenders in your area, most players aren't skilled enough to even get as many shots off as he did in those situations.
    lmao most shots in WC history without a goal

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Messi was a key participant of 8 of the 10 Argentina's goals, I think that's pretty productive.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    no he is not

Schweinsteiger, Müller, sneijder say o

Oh and Klose is deserving some love too ! dude scored 13 !

That's one of the most re ed takes I've ever read.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Messi is like LBJ a regular season mvp ringless
    Messi has won everything he has played except the World cup, and he's still only 23, he has at least two more WC to win it all. Maradona at Messi's age in '82 played worst than Messi in this WC and 4 years later ended up winning in Mexico.

Comparing the NBA to football is another dumb thing to do, you can win NBA championships every year, the WC is once every 4 years. Are Platini, Cruyff and Baggio (among others) ringless regular season MVPs too?

And last but not least even though LBJ has no ring, he's still the best player in the NBA.
    Last edited by DAF86; 07-04-2010 at 08:44 PM.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I agree that a WC win (or more) is absolutely required to be in the Pele/Maradona conversation. Not that Platini or Cryuff were anything to sneeze at, but it's a second tier, IMO.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    I agree that a WC win (or more) is absolutely required to be in the Pele/Maradona conversation. Not that Platini or Cryuff were anything to sneeze at, but it's a second tier, IMO.
    Zidane won a WC and Cryuff didn't and most people say that Cruyff > Zidane.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    daf86 nobody cares about the setups and man, on the big stage when all the best players are at and you cant perform, expect criticisms...

u can talk all you want about messis achievements outside the wc, but look at how many other players who have won those other tourneys but not the WC...

Messi wasnt the problem. He assist a whole bunch of goals and had bad luck with his own shots.

Maradona ed him up, he mad it so easy for Germany to take Messi out of the game. Never saw Messi so "clueless" and frustrated in a game.

Maradona probably thought: "Our tactic....hmmm...we have Messi that should be enough to beat the other team!"

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Zidane won a WC and Cryuff didn't and most people say that Cruyff > Zidane.
    And I agree. Zidane would never be in the Pele/Maradona conversation to begin with. It's debatable wether Cryuff was.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    daf86 nobody cares about the setups and man, on the big stage when all the best players are at and you cant perform, expect criticisms...
    Messi has performed pretty damn well in this tournament, football is a team sports, no individual can win a football tournament all by themselves.

u can talk all you want about messis achievements outside the wc, but look at how many other players who have won those other tourneys but not the WC...
    What's the point you are trying to make with this? Is Cannavaro a better player than Messi 'cause he won a WC?

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    Messi wasnt the problem. He assist a whole bunch of goals and had bad luck with his own shots.

Maradona ed him up, he mad it so easy for Germany to take Messi out of the game. Never saw Messi so "clueless" and frustrated in a game.

Maradona probably thought: "Our tactic....hmmm...we have Messi that should be enough to beat the other team!"
    Germans always have done well with that though. Don't forget Maradona in 1986 was pretty much neutered for the whole finals, and was only able to assist for the last goal. He wasn't much of a factor in 1990 either.

I don't think you can blame Bilardo for that though. That's just an ability of the germans.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    lmao Spanish league is such a joke, messi should come to Man U and prove his worth there
    I agree, we all know how those studs that prove themselves in the PL every weekend have dominated this WC.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I agree, we all know how those studs that prove themselves in the PL every weekend have dominated this WC.
    just like the spanish league 2 dominant teams and rest are

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    just like the spanish league 2 dominant teams and rest are
    At least the Spanish league elite is good enough to don't get embarresed in the WC. Besides I'm not the one saying that one league is clearly better than the other.

My Team
    Boca Juniors
    Post Count
    People need to understand that football/soccer is a sport where the vast majority of statistics are meaningless. They all need context. It's one sport where they really don't matter and are misleading.

Demichelis and Heinze each scored a goal in their only attempt, and from a purely statistical point of view, that would imply that both are one hundred times the player Messi is.

Let's try another angle: This past Germany-Argentina game, here are the statistics:
    Germany:
    Shots (on goal): 18 (6)
    Time of Possession: 47%
    Argentina:
    Shots (on goal): 20 (7)
    TOP: 53%

If you didn't watch the game, you might naturally infer that it was a close game, giving Argentina the slight edge. However, Germany romped 4-0.
    Likewise, if you hadn't watched any games and heard of Messi going goal-less with so many shots, you might believe he underperformed, or even to the extent that you say, "shat the bed."

Pretty odd, I read articles from several different analysts claiming Messi to be the top performer or at least among the top of the whole tournament.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    why u tryin to skew statistics to make it look like messi had a good run in the wc?

do you really think fanatics/betters give a fck? what matters is putting the ball into the net and gettin the win

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    why u tryin to skew statistics to make it look like messi had a good run in the wc?

do you really think fanatics/betters give a fck? what matters is putting the ball into the net and gettin the win
    He had a good run in the WC.

lol Ronaldo fan

Thread Information