Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if we going to replace him, is there any bigs available this summer that can shoot the 3?
    I rather try to resign Mahimni as our 5th big.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 04-26-2010 at 03:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can offer him veteran minimum and if he wants to stay no problem for me. I think he wouldn't get a better offer anywhere else and he's happy in San Antonio.(His brother is playing for Toros)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can offer him veteran minimum and if he wants to stay no problem for me. I think he wouldn't get a better offer anywhere else and he's happy in San Antonio.(His brother is playing for Toros)
    With Splitter here next year, the time will be scarce at best for Bonner anyway as a 5th big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Splitter here next year, the time will be scarce at best for Bonner anyway as a 5th big. I rather try to resign Mahimni as our 5th big.
    Yes if we can land on Splitter, Bonner will be our 5th or 6th big(depends on Mahinmi). But 6 bigs doesn't hurt too much when one of them comes so cheap. He can shoot three, 6 11 and knows the Spurs, i can easily jump on Bonner if he accepts veteran minimum.

If Splitter jons us, he will be a project next year. The expectations are too high about him, but he's still not have enough physical body to battle here. Dice and Duncan is aging and if Splitter struggles at te beginnning of the season, we would use a guy we know in regular season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes if we can land on Splitter, Bonner will be our 5th or 6th big(depends on Mahinmi). But 6 bigs doesn't hurt too much when one of them comes so cheap. He can shoot three, 6 11 and knows the Spurs, i can easily jump on Bonner if he accepts veteran minimum.

If Splitter jons us, he will be a project next year. The expectations are too high about him, but he's still not have enough physical body to battle here. Dice and Duncan is aging and if Splitter struggles at te beginnning of the season, we would use a guy we know in regular season.
    If Bonner accepts the minimum and accepts being the 5th big in the rotation, I'm fine with that. I just don't see the first premise happening.

And Splitter won't be a project next year. The guy is as seasoned and ready as they come. He's probably more NBA ready than Manu was when made the jump in 2003. And Splitter has a physical body that's ready for the NBA. Splitter will be our starting center by the end of the 1st or 2nd month of the season. If not sooner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We probably should also be talking about replacement stretch 4s in general. Who would you prefer? I wonder if we could prise Ryan Anderson away from Orlando?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are two kinds of players I like to end at the end of the bench:
    - Young players who have the upside to become more than end of the bench players.
    - Seasoned vets who can step up in an emergency situation and give few solid minutes in a playoff game.

Bonner isn't obviously in the first category and if his playoffs sucking continue, he won't be in the second one.

And with the luxury tax, nothing is "cheap". Bonner for the min will cost $1.7M to Spurs. IMO, his market value is more around $2M, that is to say a $4M cost for Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are two kinds of players I like to end at the end of the bench:
    - Young players who have the upside to become more than end of the bench players.
    - Seasoned vets who can step up in an emergency situation and give few solid minutes in a playoff game.
    Agreed completely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We probably should also be talking about replacement stretch 4s in general. Who would you prefer? I wonder if we could prise Ryan Anderson away from Orlando?
    But can Ryan Anderson find the Hoagie Grail?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner does appear to be focused on playing his way out of town.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather try to resign Mahimni as our 5th big.
    This. Ian appears to do just fine when given minutes, even if it is against bench fodder. The Spurs are really short right now, literally. We're essentially playing a 2 and a half Big Man rotation of Duncan, McDyess, and occasionally Blair. Length is what we need. Resigning Ian with Splitter coming over would be just what the Spurs need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bonner accepts the minimum and accepts being the 5th big in the rotation, I'm fine with that. I just don't see the first premise happening.

And Splitter won't be a project next year. The guy is as seasoned and ready as they come. He's probably more NBA ready than Manu was when made the jump in 2003. And Splitter has a physical body that's ready for the NBA. Splitter will be our starting center by the end of the 1st or 2nd month of the season. If not sooner.
    I watched too many games of Splitter this year in this year European compe ion, cause of living in Turkey. He is really thin to play center at NBA at the moment, he can be outmuscle by nearly every center of the league right now. He's thin,(but he's a superior athlete) and has a SF size right now. Next year we should strength his body, if we use him as starting center he will struggle a lot.

Manu is a different story, he was fast and furious and a back-court player. He didn't need to be strengthen his upper body because of his skill set.

Remember Scola and his first year... He was a bull-like player in Europe and have hard times in his firt year, even he was a PF.

I'm an admirer of Splitter, he will be an excellent player here. His worst will be better than Marcus Camby, i can guarantee it. But next year, if he joins us, don't expect a sudden impact.

And with the luxury tax, nothing is "cheap". Bonner for the min will cost $1.7M to Spurs. IMO, his market value is more around $2M, that is to say a $4M cost for Spurs.
    Upps, I thought that he will get 1M as veteran minimum, as Bogans gets this year. You're right, 1.7M is too much, because we are over the luxury thrashold. And if we will sign with Spliiter(full MLE), the cost of the squad can't absorb another 3.4M. We can sign one f our 2nd round draft choice to 450K for saving
    Last edited by tuncaboylu; 04-26-2010 at 08:27 AM.

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Anderson could be acquired via trade. (unless a team is willing to swallow one of the bloated contracts of players like Bass and Gortat and still sends back a decent talent).
    Anderson still has two cheap years on his rookie contract, he is still only 21 and looks as if he could develop into a nice complementary player with the Magic. (different to Bass). his season wasn't that impressive by the overall numbers, but looks pretty nice in some statistical details and the fact that he got more PT than either Bass and Gortat (who combine for 10 million $ per season) tells a lot about is status in Orlando.

if Spurs try to acquire a stretch big via trade, maybe a Player like Jason Smith could be got for cheap. (if the Sixers gave up on him). or they look for such a player in the free agency.
    Tolliver again? (he's RFA and Warriors might want to keep him tough)
    Pecherov?
    (yeah I know. I was just thinking about some young players, who might have some not yet unleashed potential and who probably could be hired for cheap)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Currently, I wouldn't resign Bonner, even for the vet min. We are a team that wants to be contending for the rest of the Duncan era... What is the point for SAS signing a guy who has never been able to produce in the post-season. He's had several playoff series, and never succeeded. He's a pretty good regular season minute sponge, but I don't see a point if he's going to shrivel up and hide in the postseason; I'd rather use a rookie (or Mahnimi) and try to develop him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner really belongs on a team that doesn't make the playoffs, like mountainballer said..he could be a good mentor for some young players, produce nicely for some bad teams..he just isn't cut out for playoff basketball, unless we saw a drastic and shocking improvement if the Spurs make it past the 1st round..

As for Ryno, as a Magic fan too(because of VC), I wouldn't touch Anderson..he's a good player and better than Bonner, but he's one of the biggest chuckers in the NBA and way too inconsistent on D..SVG had to bench him for about a month or more because of his tendencies..I don't think Pop would get along with him based on his style of play..he's more suited for a bench role, but he'll probably end up getting more $ than that from a bad team(eventually) IMO..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Upps, I thought that he will get 1M as veteran minimum, as Bogans gets this year. You're right, 1.7M is too much, because we are over the luxury thrashold. And if we will sign with Spliiter(full MLE), the cost of the squad can't absorb another 3.4M. We can sign one f our 2nd round draft choice to 450K for saving
    It's $1.7M with the luxury tax.

And because of the luxury tax, I can see Spurs carrying a roster with 13 players and only 5 PF/C under contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate this guy even more than Mason now.

Mason's not fully to blame for his suckage this year because Pop messed his game up.
    Bonner on the other hand has just been told to shoot, his specialty and he cant even make those.

Bonner please go join your brother in the Toros.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good call taking this er over Scola, RC!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes done. next...

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if at the beginning of this PO people thought the sample size of Bonner's PO appearances is still to small to call him a total PO bust, I think now it's fair to call it what it is.
    Bonner isn't a NBA player when it really counts. not even a 3rd stringer. and this also discounts the theory that his shooting is somehow useful and necessary for the Spurs. when his only quality disappears right in the moment, it would be needed most, it seems counter productive that the team gets used to it and relies on it during the season. better work on and work with qualities you know will still be there, when the PO start.

I thought it is somehow reasonable to re sign Bonner for cheap (max 2M per) so he helps during the regular season. I no longer think that way. I wouldn't want him back for the minimum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is a choker and playing him or re-signing him is just asking for failure.
    the objective truth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that no one wants Bonner back, from if the Spurs want a stretch 4 after using the MLE on Splitter, what options will there be on the market at the min? I worry they will just default on Bonner, with the understanding that he will receive far fewer minutes in next year's rotation.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that no one wants Bonner back, from if the Spurs want a stretch 4 after using the MLE on Splitter, what options will there be on the market at the min? I worry they will just default on Bonner, with the understanding that he will receive far fewer minutes in next year's rotation.
    That's the problem. The Spurs have a lot of holes to fill this offseason and not a lot of cap exceptions to fill them with. Between Bonner, Mason, Bogans, Mahinmi, Temple, Gee and Jerrells you've got basically half the roster that should probably be turned over. That's going to be hard to pull off with only an MLE, a BAE, a 1st round draft pick and league min contracts. I think the numbers game dictates that someone out of the Bonner, Mason, Bogans, Mahinmi group has to be brought back for the simple reason that the Spurs are simply going to run out of cap exceptions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone would be better than Bonner. A d-leaguer like Tolliver would be better than Bonner. Funny how Tolliver got his walking papers for shooting like Bonner even though he brought other things like good passing. Bonner shoots like Bonner and gets more chances and I would think is in line for another 3 years for 10 contract.

A draftee would be preferable in next year's playoffs. Give me Heyward and smallball, I'd rather have him shooting. Give me James Gist. Give me Viktor Sanikidze, who makes things happen even when his shot isn't going down too well. Can you imagine Bonner getting a game-saving block at the 3-point line like Sanikidze did this past year in Italy? Me neither.

Sean Marks is a free agent. I honestly would rather live and die in the playoffs on the play of Sean Marks than commit playoff suicide with Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goodbye Bonner.

Thread Information