Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And i would be careful with that Marion Suns 05/07 stuff. The suns mindset was to run and outscore and he didnt have any help and was looking for his 20+ points too. In Dallas he lives for defense, thats why he is here and he knows and lives it. The teams mindset is defense and he has help from the team. Thats different than playing with the old Suns.
    Lol dude is a fkn scrub man, he lives for defense? come back to me when his shut down someone on the court...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Lol dude is a fkn scrub man, he lives for defense? come back to me when his shut down someone on the court...
    I see how you got your 15k+ posts...

Check the the boxscores of Thunder/Nuggets/Cavs/Lakers games as example and read some stuff about Marions time in Dallas and come then back please with arguments and dont ruin this nice thread with trashtalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see how you got your 15k+ posts...

Check the the boxscores of Thunder/Nuggets/Cavs/Lakers games as example and read some stuff about Marions time in Dallas and come then back please with arguments and dont ruin this nice thread with trashtalk.
    ginoboli says hi

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ginobili should stay healthy for more than 10 games in a row before he says anything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ginobili should stay healthy for more than 10 games in a row before he says anything
    this aint 09 anymore. get a new insult.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    **I find this a curious statement to say, that dallas has less talent.

**Sure, we have 3 superior players in Manu, Duncan, and parker (in that **order). Sure, we have good players in Hill, blair, RJ.

**But they match us talent for talent easily.
    **Duncan-dirk.
    **Tony-kidd.
    **Manu-terry.
    **blair-haywood.
    **Hill-butler
    **rj-marion
    **dice-dampier

I'm sorry spurfaninla, but there is no way you can say Manu is comparable talent to JT. That's like saying Kobe and Kwame are comparable talent. and right now I can't see comparing tony and kid or Hill and butler. I believe the spurs win all three of those comparisons.

and one more to come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe you said bugaboo.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

**Sure, we have 3 superior players in Manu, Duncan, and parker (in that **order). Sure, we have good players in Hill, blair, RJ.

**Duncan-dirk.
    **Tony-kidd.
    **Manu-terry.
    **blair-haywood.
    **Hill-butler
    **rj-marion
    **dice-dampier

I'm sorry spurfaninla, but there is no way you can say Manu is comparable talent to JT. That's like saying Kobe and Kwame are comparable talent. and right now I can't see comparing tony and kid or Hill and butler. I believe the spurs win all three of those comparisons.

and one more to come
    Ginobili is way better than Terry, no doubt about it.
    Kidd&Butler and tony&hill are very different players, it's hard to compare. We will know more after the first game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm calling it now... Terry, Caron, and Erika will dish out cheap shots at Ginobili...

We can only hope.

Whatever it takes for Manu to turn GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking care of the ball, rebounding on both ends and playing well in transition are the most important IMO. The Spurs can overcome some slippage in the other areas if they remain disclipined on these three fronts.

Besides Manu, the player that I feel can be the biggest x-factor in this series is McDyess. Having playoff McDyess walk out of the tunnel on Sunday evening would be huge for this team in so many areas. If he can hustle on the boards, knock down those open looks and make Dirk work like he did earlier this season it will take a lot of pressure off of everyone. If he wants to see the ring he has sought for so long he's gotta put his hand to the plow and not look back.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

**Duncan-dirk.
    **Tony-kidd.
    **Manu-terry.
    **blair-haywood.
    **Hill-butler
    **rj-marion
    **dice-dampier

and one more to come
    I agree. But terry scored more than manu this year on average. He shoots just as well, if not better. He is not the playmaker that Manu is, does not have the intangibles, and I don't think he has the same 5th gear, but he is a very good player and will probably score 20 on the spurs several times. I don't consider it a "much better" situation.

I agree with Mavfan that kidd and parker bring different things to their teams. Kidd brings exceptional 3pt shooting, fast break (court vision not speed now), rebounding for his position, passing, and evidently better defense against sg's.

Hill is exploding, but I don't think we can say he blows butler out of the water. Butler is a sf playing sg, and Hill is a sg in a pg body. they will bring different things to each team, both can score. Butler is the better scorer and is bigger, hill has better 3pt shooting and drives better. Not that different.

Anyway, I am confident in our ability to do well if we are HEALTHY. That is the first, important factor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GT.... Garrett Temple

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the over under is before Terry tries to grab someone's nuts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Hill being out for game 1, I am really concerned about the "Temple as placeholder" strategy. I like Temple a lot and if Hill was good to go, I would prefer he get spot minutes over Mason, but not as a starter in the playoffs against Jason Kidd. Jason Kidd has got to be licking his chops over the thought. Jason Kidd eats rookies for breakfast. I know Kidd is older, but he has a whole bag of tricks Garrett Temple has never seen before and he will make that kid's head spin.
    The Spurs have to go with Parker. Parker runs circles around Kidd. Parker makes Kidd work on D which makes him less effective on the other end.
    If Dallas plays Kidd and Terry together, switch Parker to Terry on D and put Bogans on Kidd. You can let Dirk shoot jumpers all day, but if the Spurs take out Kidd, they take the Mavs engine away.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think starting Parker would minimize Manu's potential impact. They'll play together plenty but I think having Parker come off the bench would better allow Manu to get his rhythm going. Also, when Parker is in the game without Manu then Parker can better dominate the flow.

Temple is green but he's impressed me more than Mason in regards to defense, ball handling, and shooting lately. With Hill injured I think Temple needs a chance. I don't feel like we have a lot of other great options. Manu is practically the point guard anyway when he's with Temple.

I think Temple is starting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Temple is starting.
    Well, I hope it works. *fingers crossed* I think the Spurs really need to jump on the Mavs right out of the gate. I would hate for the Spurs to have to play from behind the whole game.
    Manu deserves a lot of credit for taking the team over when Parker went out, but don't forget that Hill was his running mate. You can't really just plug in Temple and expect the same result. Especially in the playoffs against a team that matches up so well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feeling very doubtful about this series with Hill's injury and Parker's current state. I'd be a lot more optimistic if both were 100% healthy but the fact that we're going to be giving a substantial amount of minutes to Temple/Mason makes me nervous.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My keys:

1) Ginobili should play like Ginobilli
    2) Duncan should dominate
    3) small ball
    4) Step-up D
    4) Rebounding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no faith in Bonner or Mason coming through in the post-season given their past performance. Bonner is the anti-Horry and Mason has been in a season-long slump, which doesn't bode well for a guy known for his shooting.

My hope is that Hill and McDyess can provide the outside shooting and that Manu balls out of control. If that happens it won't really matter what Bonner and Mason give (or don't give).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Hill being out for game 1
    Do you have a source for this? I've seen some speculation but nothing definitive about his status for game 1.

Just curious, because that would be a BIG blow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post timvp!

My biggest concerns are two-fold. Transition D, as you and others have mentioned, is one but the 2nd concern is, screen-roll defense and offense.

The Spurs have traditionally had difficulty defending Dirk and the PG, whoever that has been, in the two-man game. The Spurs have blitzed Dirk early to get the ball out of his hands but the end-results have been mixed. When it has gone wrong is when the rotations were slow leading to layups and extra-pass 3s. The Spurs have to stick with Dirk and deny him his favorite spots like the elbow and near the 3-point line as a trailer or on pick-and-pops.

On offensive screen-roll plays, the Mavs have been defending that by following the dribbler with two players (ex. Kidd and Heywood both following Parker). In those situations, the ball-handler needs to get the ball to open man early before the Big has a time to recover. Tony struggled with that on Wednesday by either forcing a bad shot in traffic or trying get a forced pass off at a bad angle at the baseline.

If the Spurs can succeed in these two areas, they will defeat Dallas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have a source for this? I've seen some speculation but nothing definitive about his status for game 1.

Just curious, because that would be a BIG blow.
    Most sources I found list him as questionable to very questionable. It is an assumption at this point, but it seems to be the conventional wisdom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think rebound should be number 1 priority.

The bigs have to do their jobs and Manu and especially RJ need to go for every board. Dallas has been killing us on the boards since 06. Win the rebound battle and we'll have a great chance to advance.

And look out for Kidd. He's a master on those long boards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most sources I found list him as questionable to very questionable. It is an assumption at this point, but it seems to be the conventional wisdom.
    Disagree with your assumption. He's got two full days left to heal and even if he's not 100%, I think he's a "go". It's the playoffs!

I just wanted to make sure what you said hadn't been confirmed by team sources.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally ………………… Timvp don’t ever do that to us again…. you can’t show up only once a month, specially now during playoffs………… we need material. please.

Thread Information