Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another playoff run for the Spurs, another showdown with the Mavericks. After last year's destruction that saw Dallas easily win the series in five games, revenge would definitely be sweet.

Unfortunately, revenge won't be easy. Outside of the Lakers, no other team in the Western Conference boasts as many challenging matchups for San Antonio -- as has been seen the last two times the Spurs took on the Mavs in the playoffs. Even worse, the Mavs seem to be the world's most comfortable basketball team within the confines of the AT&T Center.

Compared to last postseason's squad, this Spurs team is more talented, deeper, more explosive and, most importantly, healthier. That said, a number of issues have plagued San Antonio this season, most prominently chemistry and consistency on both ends of the court. Truthfully, the Spurs are still a work in progress.

How can the Spurs get their revenge? Here are timvp's top ten keys.

10. George Hill's Health
    George Hill has become an indispensable part of this team. He's the starting point guard and easily the fourth best player on the Spurs. As the season progressed and Hill's role grew, he flourished while illustrating an exciting amount of potential.

But after stepping on a cameraman and tweaking his injured ankle on the last day of the regular season, Hill enters the playoffs with a limp. If he's not able to perform near 100%, that would be a crippling blow for the Spurs. His ability to guard multiple positions, run the floor, attack weak defenders and hit three-pointers has allowed those around him to thrive -- especially Manu Ginobili.

9. Tony Parker vs. Jason Terry
    Both teams have quality bench players but the battle of the benches basically comes down to Tony Parker and Jason Terry. Parker is the better player on paper but it's been a difficult season for the French point guard due to injuries, a lack of cohesion with his new teammates, and sloppy and sometimes unfocused play. Additionally, Parker's role as the bench x-factor is in its infancy.

On the other hand, Terry knows how to perform off the bench. He seemingly always drains the big shot when facing off against San Antonio. Even though Dallas has a stacked starting lineup, don't be surprised if it's Terry who takes the most important shots.

8. Tim Duncan and Foul Trouble
    Though he's coming off the least foul-prone regular season of his career, you can throw out that statistic when Tim Duncan goes up against the Mavs. Simply put, the Mavs are constructed perfectly to get Duncan in foul trouble. They have a pair of bruising centers to be physical with Duncan. Their offense, which is built around isolation plays and pick-and-roll plays, puts Duncan in awkward positions on the court. Oh and that Dirk Nowitzki guy isn't exactly an easy opponent for Duncan to defend.

7. Shooters Stepping Up
    Since the beginning of the Tim Duncan Era, the front office has made it a point to surround Duncan with three-point shooters. Currently, however, outside shooting isn't something the Spurs can rely on going into the playoffs.

Hill is probably the team's best three-point shooter right now … but he's hurting. Ginobili is a good three-point shooter but he is classified more as "streaky" than "dead-eye". Matt Bonner and Roger Mason, Jr. can shoot but they both monumentally struggled last year against the Mavs in the playoffs (and they just finished going a combined 0-for-8 from three-point range against Dallas on Wednesday). Richard Jefferson shot 22.8% on three-pointers after the All-Star break and Keith Bogans is Keith Bogans.

To win this series, the Spurs need at least two or three shooters to step up and knock down shots from deep. We'll see if that is too much to ask.

6. Transition Defense
    Just like the Spurs, the Mavs are different than the team from last year's playoffs. With the additions of Shawn Marion, Caron Butler and Roddy Beaubois, Dallas can get out and run. Add the ageless Jason Kidd to the mix, who just might be the best fast-breaking point guard of all-time, and there's little doubt that the coaching staff will make transition defense a top priority.

Transition defense is especially important with regard to Marion. As the Spurs have witnessed firsthand, stout transition defense can keep Marion under control.

5. Limiting Turnovers
    Turnovers have been an unexpected bugaboo for the Spurs this season. Last year, the Spurs turned it over fewer times than any team in the NBA. This year, nine teams had fewer turnovers. Since the All-Star break, the Spurs have only lost one time in games in which they've finished with less turnovers than their opponent.

The previous key makes this key even more vital. If the Spurs can limit their turnovers, that will go a long ways toward making sure the Mavs don't get easy buckets in transition.

4. Make Dirk Work
    Teams that have had success against the Mavs in the playoffs have done so in large part due to taking Dirk Nowitzki out of his comfort zones. He's not going to be stopped completely but the Mavs are most dangerous when Nowitzki is free to do what he wants.

The bad news is the Spurs still lack anything resembling a Dirk stopper. Antonio McDyess has too many miles on the odometer, DeJuan Blair lacks size and is foul prone, Matt Bonner isn't athletic enough, Richard Jefferson tends to be undisciplined and soft, Keith Bogans is way too small and Tim Duncan is too immobile. The coaching staff is going to have to be inventive with gimmicky schemes to overcome the gaping hole in the personnel.

3. Pop and Common Sense
    In 2006 and 2009, Pop made glaring mistakes in the playoffs against the Mavs. Too much small ball doomed the Spurs in 2006; Pop overreacted to the mismatches and had the Spurs playing a then uncharted brand of basketball. Last postseason, Pop inexplicably buried Hill on the bench to begin the series. Additionally, Pop's rotations neglected the defensive end of the court until it was too late.

The teams are too evenly matched for Pop to author another blunder and the Spurs come out on top. Rather than trying to be the hero, Pop needs to rely on common sense. Don't try to fit a square peg (a struggling player) into a round hole (playing time). Don't overreact to matchups that don't favor the Spurs (See: Nowitzki, Dirk). Don't be afraid to play those who have performed well all season (See: Blair, DeJuan). In other words, don't out-think things.

2. Rebounding
    The one overriding aspect that has tipped the balance of power in Dallas' favor in recent years is rebounding. In the 2006 series, the Mavs outrebounded the Spurs in all seven games. The 2009 series saw the Mavs outrebound the Spurs in every game except for one: Game 2, the sole contest the Spurs won.

Small ball is the most obvious culprit, though the Mavs having superior rebounders at the swingman positions has also been a leading reason. This year, the Spurs can contend on the glass -- but the coaching staff must resist small ball as much as possible, find minutes for Blair and urge each and every player to gang rebound. (By the way, if Jefferson is searching for an area where he can most help, rebounding is the answer.)

1. Manu Ginobili
    Without question the absolute top key for the Spurs in this forthcoming series against the Mavs is the play of Manu Ginobili. Since the All-Star break, the Spurs have been Ginobili's team. If he can be at the top of his game, the Spurs will be a difficult out in the playoffs -- for any team in the league.

Ginobili's importance is magnified against Dallas. First of all, the Mavs have the post-defenders and help-defenders to slow Duncan in the low block. Secondly, Parker is still rounding into form following his hand injury. Last but not least is the fact that the Mavs don't truly have a defender who should have much success against Ginobili. It just so happens that Dallas' biggest weakness defensively plays right into Ginobili's hands. Hopefully he's ready to take advantage and coldly serve the revenge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Ginobili can be the guy we've seen recently Mavs are gonna in meet the mummy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Number 3 is the one I'm most concerned with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read and goes straight into my point on the other thread. This series more than anything is about Manu. If he's at the top of his game, we should be able to get this.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think about MAVFAN talking about their kobe-stopper Marion? Or, they alternately claim that Kidd is a good defender at sg?

I wonder at marion being able to defend a pg if Kidd is guarding the sg...marion is too old now to keep up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Hill's health is the one that worries me. Man he's become important fast....

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm calling it now... Terry, Caron, and Erika will dish out cheap shots at Ginobili...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, Hill's health is also one of the major concerns for me. Solid list; imo the Spurs seem to have more talent and chemistry than their Dallas counterparts but they can't afford to slack off.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great assessment BTW... timvp (in prophet mode) has spoken!

Spurs 4 - Mavs 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A tough series will make advancing that much sweeter. Let's hope the Spurs bring their best effort out there unlike last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop better utilize Hill this fkn series, not like last season where he didnt even get to play against the mavs,

i hope duncan detours alot cause the other players need to get theres, we all know duncan will get his, its just a matter when or workin himself into the game/series...RJ, HILL input is important where the extra scoring will come from.

im still not sure on mcdyness or even bonner for this series....

go hard or go home
    Last edited by TDMVPDPOY; 04-16-2010 at 01:21 AM.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, Hill's health is also one of the major concerns for me. Solid list; imo the Spurs seem to have more talent and chemistry than their Dallas counterparts but they can't afford to slack off.
    I find this a curious statement to say, that dallas has less talent.

Sure, we have 3 superior players in Manu, Duncan, and parker (in that order). Sure, we have good players in Hill, blair, RJ.

But they match us talent for talent easily.
    Duncan-dirk.
    Tony-kidd.
    Manu-terry.
    blair-haywood.
    Hill-butler
    rj-marion
    dice-dampier

who is left on either side? Well, we have bonner and temple, but, if anything, dallas more good players than we do, with beaubois and jj (b-used up all the vowels) as possible significant contributors. I don't know if we can count on bonner. I hope we dont see mason this play offs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

who is left on either side? Well, we have bonner and temple, but, if anything, dallas more good players than we do, with beaubois and jj (b-used up all the vowels) as possible significant contributors. I don't know if we can count on bonner. I hope we dont see mason this play offs.
    is temple eligible for playoff roster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be a hard fought series. I doubt it will be decided in less than six games.

Holding Nowitzki in check will be the key defensively. I guess Dice, Bonner and RJ will be taking turns against him. I don't see Blair as a good option against Nowitzki.

And yeah, three-point shooting is an area of concern right now. Hopefully, either Bonner or Mason Jr. will step it up.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, temple can play for us. The eligibility issue is only for players who were with teams already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LJ timvp Ellis had accurately predicted last year's match-up in the playoffs. Huge respect!

I agree with all the 10 keys...and think that Key No 1 will determine the Spurs' victory. If Manu plays like Manu should; the Mavs will a lot on their plate.

4-2 for the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7. Shooters Stepping Up
    Since the beginning of the Tim Duncan Era, the front office has made it a point to surround Duncan with three-point shooters. Currently, however, outside shooting isn't something the Spurs can rely on going into the playoffs.

Hill is probably the team's best three-point shooter right now … but he's hurting. Ginobili is a good three-point shooter but he is classified more as "streaky" than "dead-eye". Matt Bonner and Roger Mason, Jr. can shoot but they both monumentally struggled last year against the Mavs in the playoffs (and they just finished going a combined 0-for-8 from three-point range against Dallas on Wednesday). Richard Jefferson shot 22.8% on three-pointers after the All-Star break and Keith Bogans is Keith Bogans.

To win this series, the Spurs need at least two or three shooters to step up and knock down shots from deep. We'll see if that is too much to ask.
    I took a look at the stats regarding the 3-point shooting. In March the team shot .370 but then took a nose dive in April with .314. Unfortunately, the Spurs are going through a tough stretch from the behind the arc and Mason, whose specialty supposed to be the 3-point shot, is shooting 26% in April. Since Manu has the most attempts per game, I think that he will take most of the load. Hopefully Bonner, who is second in 3-point attempts, will step up and help.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least a couple of the guys on the ticket in Dallas were picking the Spurs due to the Mavs tendency to be extremely inconsistent and the Ginobili factor.

"He's Manu Ginobili." senorglory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know whose health is the greatest issue: Parker; Hill; or Duncan. None of them are ready for the first round. Is McDyess healthy? Why has his tank seemed empty of late? God lord this team makes me feel like a hypochondriac with all the worrying over health I do leading up to the playoffs.

A healthy big 3 plus a healthy Hill and concerns 1 to 10 take care of themselves, I think. Ginobili + gimpy Duncan + dead legged and injured shooting handed Parker + ankle sprained playoff newb Hill = ? Who knows.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other then transition defense this year I think the most important thing will be to defend the screens.
    Esp. those deadly with Terry and Dirk. Both can drive and both can shoot and with spurs matchup problems it will be important if to switch or not? Anyway taht's might not be enough.

x-factor Butler just like Josh previously

Spurs myust overcome so many problems that it is not funny.

To us other then Manu and Tony play was a play of George. The only guy that can fill the the big holes in spurs struggles against mavs.

Transition O and D, defending quick guards (also can be switched on bigger guys) and ofcourse 3pointers.
    Other then him we have unsure Bonner and Manu day-game-shape.

Mason can explode in one game, and Bogand like LJ said is Bogans.

The guy we need to step up is RJ - esp. with rebounding and hitting those corner treys not mentioning his drives and midrange offscreen jumpers.

We are in trouble

and that vulcano made a dark day today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice writeup.

To me it comes down to a few simple things:

The Big 3 - Manu's play is paramount to the Spurs' success but Tim and Tony have to come along for the ride. The Spurs don't need them to play above their heads but they've got to have them playing to their current potential; which is relative to where they are in their career and the form they're currently in physically.

Rebounding - As you mentioned, this will prove vital. For all intents and puposes you can throw the Spurs' rebounding numbers out the window. With Nowitzki pulling bigs away from the basket and forcing the inevitable bouts of small ball, the defensive glass is left vulnerable. The Spurs have been the benchmark for years when it comes to defensive rebounding but with the Mavs perimeter players ability to thrive with the mid-range shots and the scrambling that ensues from their pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop game, like I said before ... throw the numbers out the window. Haywood, Dampier, Nowitzki, Marion, Butler and Kidd are bound to get some extra possessions, how many and when they get them could decide games and potentially the series.

Transition Defense - Jason Kidd is maybe the best I've ever seen on the break and igniting it. And though he's slowed, the ball still moves faster than the man; the Spurs have to get back at all costs, take care of the ball, and it'd be wise to jam the passer whenever possible. You can't let this team get going downhill, as they tend to come in waves when they're out in the open court; finishing at both the rim and on the perimeter in transition. The Spurs have to be mindful of the three point line with Nowitzki and Terry in transition.

Free Throw Line - No, this isn't about a conspiracy, it's about logic: with the Mavs, they're as close as you get to 'free'. What the Spurs have been to defensive rebounding the Mavs have been at the foul line. Send 'em there ... and they're gonna cash in more times than not. But it's not only about the points it's about how they get them and the ramifications of giving them up. You can really tie this in with the rebounding because a lot of the same things that make the Spurs vulnerable there can be tied to here: if you're scrambling on defense and switching on the pick and roll you're not only susceptible to the carom but also foul. The Mavs don't need any help putting points on the board and putting them in the penalty is a recipe for disaster. But, maybe even more important, you can't have The Big Fundamental on the bench; he's often asked to protect the rim on his own, given Pop's propensity for small ball, so the coaching staff has to limit going to that well. But when they do resort to it, the perimeter defense has to be on a string and prevent the Mavs from getting to the middle. You need Tim to protect the rim, his teammates have to protect him; it'd be nice to see the Mavs on their heels from a dogged Spurs' attack that leaves them to deal with foul trouble of their own.

Three Point Line - The Mavs, going back the the '06 series, have found success allowing Tim to pretty much get what he can one-on-one and staying with the shooters. While it just as easily could've burned the Mavs in '06 (even if I thought it was a great tactic) it absolutely destroyed the Spurs in '09; with no Manu and a hobbled Tim the one-dimensional attack of the Spurs' perimeter was exposed and shut down. The Spurs' three-point shooting has taken a dip, as the quality of shooter and player manning the position has dropped, but they're going to have to come through in this series. Mason has fallen off the map and Bonner's got a lot to prove under playoff pressure, and only the latter should probably see anything considered significant minutes. The Spurs are going to need their shooters, even if they're not marksman, to hit for a high percentage and force the Mavs to honor them; Manu and George are going to need to step up and hopefully Bonner (fingers crossed) comes through.

There's obviously more to the game that one can break down but I'll just say that if the Spurs can get the Big 3 they need (Manu at the reins) and win or break even on those four facets, the Spurs should find themselves in the driver's seat; and if they can get RJ to commit to playing a gritty game collecting rebounds, filling the gaps offensively and he's able to have significant stretches of success against Nowitzki (preferably while playing the three -- small forward), they could very well find their selves in the winner's circle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great analysis as always timvp.

The main things that really worry is Hill's health, the role players, and Pop. Timvp mentioned Hill and Pop but the thing about the role players is I hope they just play consistent.

I dont want soft RJ, old McDyess, discouraged B-M-B. I really hope they all step their game up because it's gonna be a long series.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    good read,agree with most of it.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Nice write up, but thats the point i see everywhere and i think the Spurs fans "overrating" it:

Ginobili's importance is magnified against Dallas. First of all, the Mavs have the post-defenders and help-defenders to slow Duncan in the low block. Secondly, Parker is still rounding into form following his hand injury. Last but not least is the fact that the Mavs don't truly have a defender who should have much success against Ginobili. It just so happens that Dallas' biggest weakness defensively plays right into Ginobili's hands. Hopefully he's ready to take advantage and coldly serve the revenge.
    Really less people outside Dallas realized what a great season Marion played at the defensive end. They see his stats and compare to his suns stats and think "He is done". He always took the best SG/SF and i cant remember a game where he was healthy and got destroyed, but i remember a lot of games he gave the opponent star a pretty hard time.

And i would be careful with that Marion Suns 05/07 stuff. The suns mindset was to run and outscore and he didnt have any help and was looking for his 20+ points too. In Dallas he lives for defense, thats why he is here and he knows and lives it. The teams mindset is defense and he has help from the team. Thats different than playing with the old Suns.

And for some minutes the Mavs can even go to Stevenson. His offense is done but he started a couple of games for the Mavs and also took the best wing player and played some good tight defense on him.

Im not talking about taking Gino out of the game but the Mavs DO have players to give Gino plenty of work and they do have players to stop Gino from going nuts. You write it like Gino gonna play fulltime against Terry and Matt Carroll...

Chinese Spurs Fan Witness
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice read.

If we step further, I won't mind sticking Manu & Rebound to the first two factors, they are the mirrors of offense efficiency and defence toughness, as timvpsaid, consistency on both ends of the court.

Can we make Dirk work too much? I mean just let him score, somehow like the way we did on Amare in 2005, and shut down his connection to others, make others', especially Terry Butler, oppotunities to touch the ball declined. I guess it may work, Dirk will be tired, and Mav's offense emtion could be ruined.

Besides these 10, I also feel the importance of rhythm, something about transition D to let them slow and making shots in offense not to give them fast break oppotunity.

Thread Information