Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him to SA, and we would give him a chance.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Dirk played the entire 2nd half and the Mavs cut into the lead while he was on the bench thanks to Beaubois. LOL @ using this game to criticize Dirk's mental toughness.

And even the most homer of Spurs fans could say Dirk played better than Manu this series.

So yeah, another re ed take from El Nono

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    top 5, obviously... yet so it goes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to a Barkley-like, came close but never got over the hump career. He should have been a champion in 2006, if it weren't for the refs. That team was probably the best Mavs team ever.

Also an honorable mention were the allas Mavericks of Nash, Finley and Dirk era.
    Crofl! Barkley took on guys like the admiral, olajuwon, shaq and ewing and did admirably.

Dirk takes on roger mason at the top of the key, fades over kermit, Jerry Seinfeld, and strom thurmond.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk played the entire 2nd half and the Mavs cut into the lead while he was on the bench thanks to Beaubois. LOL @ using this game to criticize Dirk's mental toughness.

And even the most homer of Spurs fans could say Dirk played better than Manu this series.

So yeah, another re ed take from El Nono
    If boo doesn't score 12 pts consecutively, Dirk checks out and stops rebounding, and doesn't get all Hulk like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree in principle with ignighnokt, who I had to look at 3x btw, cuz his name is all jacked up, as well as ElNono, but I think I can put it in a more respectful way.

Dirk is incredibly awesome mainly because he is not conventional in any way, shape or form. Like others have said, he's a PF in an SFs body, so he's either more mobile or taller than any defender he faces. Most people stop there, but I just realized, what if teams were somehow forced to play Manu that way? If for some reason people always put a C or a PG on him, he'd destroy the bigs with his speed, and take out the PGs with his size and trickery. I'm not saying this is a great metaphor cuz I'm really ing tired, but just insert any player who is awesome yet not a huge match up nightmare (Timmy- put a tall, strong big on him and hope for the best). For Dirk, you'd have to find a big who defended like Bowen, and was really fast. Since that player does not exist in this universe, everyone is ed.

I can't take too much away from Dirk, he's honed his shot to near perfection, and it's everyone else's problem, not his, that he decided to not "fit the mold", as it where. But I believe warriors should be great on both ends of the court. Dirk is no longer bad on D, but to say he's even close to being a great defender is a huge stretch.

To me, a true warrior has passion that forces him to not pull any punches (I wish Manu had reigned his warrior ass in at the end of the 06 series), and excel whether or not his team has the ball. If a samurai was stellar on offense but was not very good on defense, he probably wouldn't last too long. Sometimes you must counter before the the killing blow.

Having said all that, I respect the out of him. He just flops way too much, I know Manu used to flop around all the time (at least he ended up stopping that), but he wasn't guaranteed to flop his way to most of his calls. It is a good strategy, but not one worthy of respect. Kind of like Tim when he protests fouls, or anyone screaming when they go to the hoop. If he becomes a Spur, I hope he flops less, that sickens me when anyone does it, even my favorite player of all time.

P.S. Did the Nuggets have any success last year on Dirk? I know they supposedly really bothered him with the trio of Nene, K-Mart, and Birdman. But I also remember reading that he went off a couple times anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk is an incredible player and a good person. He deserves to be on a better team, I think he should go somewhere else. It's a shame for this talent.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

P.S. Did the Nuggets have any success last year on Dirk? I know they supposedly really bothered him with the trio of Nene, K-Mart, and Birdman. But I also remember reading that he went off a couple times anyways.
    They had no answer for him. I always have to laugh when people think K-Mart gave Dirk fits. Dirk averaged 34.4 ppg, 11.6 rpg and 4 apg against the Nuggets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk is the only player in the Mav's lineup that I truly respect...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk is a future HOF player and a good guy. He deserves a better legacy. Opt-out Dirk, sign somewhere else, and get away from the Cuban circus.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk has always been a difficult matchup for the Spurs.

Glad we survived the Mavs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk is aweome when not playing the spurs but man he gives us .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's good but dude was flopping all over the place and refs did him a favor in 2nd half by ignoring all his fouls.
    That's because at leats 1 of his 1st half fouls was complete bull and another 1 was questionable.

The call where Hill drove past and lifted up his arm to initiate contact with Dirk's arm shouldn't have been a foul.

On another it was Duncan flopping on that one where the pass sailed over his head and they called Dirk for the push in the back. Looked to me like Dirk was using the standard legal forearm to shield Duncan.

If you don't like the guy, fine. But to whine about flopping after this particular game makes you look like an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That technical foul on Butler was also bull ... Hill flopped backward on that from a VERY small shove in the chest.... and the dumb official bought right into it.

Everyone in this thread who is ing about Dirk/mav flopping after this particular game is probably re ed in some way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Respect. He's the best shooter in the league. But in order to win a championship he needs a new team, hopefully, in the east.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk is just a dirty nazi from Germany!!! Trade him to the Spurs for Jefferson and he will now be one of my favorite players in the NBA. Other Than that he in SUCKS!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How many of these does DIRK have? 0

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Dirk is just a dirty nazi from Germany!!! Trade him to the Spurs for Jefferson and he will now be one of my favorite players in the NBA. Other Than that he in SUCKS!!!
    trolls will be trolls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have great respect for his scoring ability. Best scoring 7' player ever.

But I've noticed over the years that when he's had to carry his team with a huge scoring night, at the end of the game in the last minutes he starts missing shots he'd been making all night. The shots start clanking and the Mavs start wanking.

Some might say he chokes, but it could be he just runs out of gas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dirk is an incredible player and a good person. He deserves to be on a better team, I think he should go somewhere else. It's a shame for this talent.
    i feel bad for him too. i never ever want the spurs losing to the mavs...but i always hate seeing dirk miss out again. dirk needs one. i dont think he'll split for another team though. too much history in big D.

Dallas loses year after year because of what's between the ears. If they can fix that, they'll get somewhere. But not thru SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They only could make serious run once Dirk was back on the floor (beginning of the third). But you don't have to take my word for it, let's see what somebody like Ludden says:

"Just understand that before halftime in Game 6, Nowitzki had four fouls because he couldn’t keep his composure, because a franchise player had let the Spurs get inside his body and mind again. These losses are shaping his legacy. The coaches and complementary players changed – the best supporting cast of his career, Nowitzki insisted – but he looked all alone again."

This conversation is not about Manu. Please stop deflecting.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

needs a margarita
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said in another thread, I've always liked Dirk--on and off the court.

Major respect!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Dirk can be a crybaby on the court sometimes, but I sure as respect his game, and he's been pretty respectable off the court as well. I hope he opts out, takes a on Mark Cuban, and wins a ring somewhere else.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He's a lot tougher physically than I gave him credit for. Dirk can take a beating.

The one guy (spursfaninla) was right about one thing though. Dirk is awesome at what he does, but he doesn't do anything else. He was great scoring the ball but he wasn't making plays for others and controlling the offense in its entirety. And he was invisible on the other end of the court.

Even when Duncan wasn't scoring, he was controlling the paint and the glass and still getting his points other ways. He even took on the task of guarding Dirk on the perimeter, even while still patrolling the paint and boarding.

Dirk is just a very one-dimensional player. Great at that one dimension. But still one-dimensional. When he had the ball on offense you knew he was going to have a great chance to score. Other than that I didn't notice him on the court.

Respect to Dirk, truly. But i'm starting to see why people say you can't build a championship team around him. The great game he had last night, as good as it was, confirmed a lot of the criticisms about him.

Thread Information