Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    htf do you guys stop the urge to continue eating....
    Seriously...lots of water. And finding other things to do. Drink a bottle of water when you feel like you need something to eat if you just ate something a few hours ago. It usually means you're dehydrated.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Eat slower, or with a smaller utensil. Give your body enough time to register you are full.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Changed my treadmill routine some. I'm going for speed and less distance. I've decided I will go as far and as hard as I can for 20 minutes. Did 2.36 miles today with a final heart rate of almost 180. 2.5 in 20 minutes is my goal.

I actually started running the opposite. I run slower but run longer, and I just do sprint intervals. I actually have lost more weight since I have started doing it that way.

Pain Strength Happiness ManuBalboa's Avatar
    Name
    Leonard Washington
    A little town by the name of none of your god damned business.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Cut down on 'carbs' to reduce body fat

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-cdo060511.php

===========

"156 pounds. That's how much added sugar Americans consume each year on a per capita basis"

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=56589

=====

There are lot studies saying carbs, not fat (of any kind), is the main cause of excess weight. There are good fats and bad fats, but the multi-decade "low fat" mania is complete bull , and the ever-increasing overweight/obesity epidemic continues.

The "eat whole grains because they're healthy" marketing is bull scam from the USDA/grain producers. Refined or whole, grains are useless carbs. flour, corn, rice, bread, pasta, tortillas, breakfast cereals, granola, cut them all out to lose weight. Severely minimize them to maintain lean weight.

and "zero carb" drinks and foods full of synthetic sweetener chemicals are unhealthy bull , too.

And you can't lose fat and maintain weight exercising. Great for health and fitness, and for scamming people selling them gym memberships (50% quit in 6 months) and exercise machines (unused), but sucks for losing fat/maintaining weight.
    I've been hearing about cycling carbs forever and am finally going to try it. I'll be doing Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 for the next 6+ weeks. You basically live on ~50 carbs a day and 50% of maintenance calories for the first 3.5 days while depleting all glycogen from the muscle, then you carb load for the next 24 hours to get in a good heavy weight workout to maintain strength/muscle mass.

Name
    Leonard Washington
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Eat a ton of spinach/broccoli/other fibrous vegetable you can tolerate. Luckily I love Spinach because my grandmother used to make me toast and spinach and it was the bomb.

If I get hungry I will also just eat blueberries or some fruit mixed into Cottage Cheese & Greek Yogurt. I hated Cottage cheese at first but I don't mind it now. The cottage cheese has casein protein in it meaning it is a slow-digesting protein and feeds the body over a longer period of time and the greek yogurt has a shiiiiiiiiit ton of protein in it and barely any carbs. It also helps to counteract the kurds texture in cottage cheese. Blueberries have a lot of antioxidants and are good for you. You can throw in some psyllium husk to get more fiber and fill you up.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Whataburger anyone?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    I actually started running the opposite. I run slower but run longer, and I just do sprint intervals. I actually have lost more weight since I have started doing it that way.
    It helps a lot when you hit the stop button once or twice in the middle of your run. It slows you down.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Eat a ton of spinach/broccoli/other fibrous vegetable you can tolerate. Luckily I love Spinach because my grandmother used to make me toast and spinach and it was the bomb.

If I get hungry I will also just eat blueberries or some fruit mixed into Cottage Cheese & Greek Yogurt. I hated Cottage cheese at first but I don't mind it now. The cottage cheese has casein protein in it meaning it is a slow-digesting protein and feeds the body over a longer period of time and the greek yogurt has a shiiiiiiiiit ton of protein in it and barely any carbs. It also helps to counteract the kurds texture in cottage cheese. Blueberries have a lot of antioxidants and are good for you. You can throw in some psyllium husk to get more fiber and fill you up.
    Mixing greek yogurt with things like lemons, oranges and limes is a great light summer snack. I love it. Greek yogurt by itself is kind of foul, but adding those makes it delish. Adding bigger pieces of fruit creates a good fruit salad.

I don't do cottage cheese that much, but the yogurt I do love.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It helps a lot when you hit the stop button once or twice in the middle of your run. It slows you down.

And that is what really pissed me off the most. I could see if I were running at top speed or something. I think me trying to run quieter for that woman is affecting my form or something.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    And that is what really pissed me off the most. I could see if I were running at top speed or something. I think me trying to run quieter for that woman is affecting my form or something.
    Quit being so self conscious. Is she really there every single time you run? Find a new treadmill. Or don't change a thing and tell her to off.

I chose a treadmill the other day that was way down from where I usually run, but near where this other guy usually uses the elliptical. He obviously knew that I run near a mirror and checked to see if he was in the way but decided to get on the elliptical anyway he was like "ehh, it. This is my spot.."...was I mad? No, because I was in his spot...not mine. Who was there first? Did she start working out there first? If so suck it up and move over...if you were there first then she can suck it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Quit being so self conscious. Is she really there every single time you run? Find a new treadmill. Or don't change a thing and tell her to off.

I chose a treadmill the other day that was way down from where I usually run, but near where this other guy usually uses the elliptical. He obviously knew that I run near a mirror and checked to see if he was in the way but decided to get on the elliptical anyway he was like "ehh, it. This is my spot.."...was I mad? No, because I was in his spot...not mine. Who was there first? Did she start working out there first? If so suck it up and move over...if you were there first then she can suck it.

Actually she did wind up moving. But it wasn't because of me, it was because of this guy who runs in those footsie things but it sounds like he is running in combat boots he runs so loud. He makes me sound like a church mouse. lol She moved down one machine and you could tell she was sorta pissed. She is a regular like I am, but she is usually there first. Now if I can I try not to get on the treadmill right behind her, but like I told her husband if there is only one treadmill available and it happens to be behind her then she is just going to have to suck it up and wear earplugs or something. And actually I have been trying to figure out why I run loud anyway not mainly because of her. Especially when I see people who are running the same speed or faster and you barely hear anything. This one woman was running at like 7.5 and I didn't hear ANYTHING hardly. Even when I walked directly behind her treadmill she ws on. Why do you run near a mirror?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Actually she did wind up moving. But it wasn't because of me, it was because of this guy who runs in those footsie things but it sounds like he is running in combat boots he runs so loud. He makes me sound like a church mouse. lol She moved down one machine and you could tell she was sorta pissed. She is a regular like I am, but she is usually there first. Now if I chttp://spurstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5349003an I try not to get on the treadmill right behind her, but like I told her husband if there is only one treadmill available and it happens to be behind her then she is just going to have to suck it up and wear earplugs or something. And actually I have been trying to figure out why I run loud anyway not mainly because of her. Especially when I see people who are running the same speed or faster and you barely hear anything. This one woman was running at like 7.5 and I didn't hear ANYTHING hardly. Even when I walked directly behind her treadmill she ws on. Why do you run near a mirror?
    It's less distracting. If I find the article again I'll fb it to you. It just said something about being less distracting. It also allows me to look at my form - or lack there of.

Ahh...here is something about it. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/di...r-fitness.html
    Last edited by ashbeeigh; 07-16-2011 at 11:45 PM.

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons
    Some of this may have already been said... but depending on your weight and overall size.. its usually better to run short bursts at higher intensity.. say beach hill sprints if you want to tone your legs and burn fat.. or run 1km time trials around a grass field or up and down a soccer pitch.. time yourself and see how you improve.

Alot of people aimlessly run 5 km on a tread mill or even outdoors without elevating their heart into that fat burning level.. they hover just below it and really all that ends up doing is putting stress on your feet and knees especially if your really overweight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    dairy products, if you have lactose intolerant...you continue to eat dairy products to force it to come out quicker then later?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Get outside, sweat. Much more effective than a treadmill or exercise bike. I have taken to riding 12 miles before my shift every day since I went home based, but the difference between that and riding an exercise bike at the gym at work has been an entirely different world and it shows.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Whatever I'm doing it's working because I'm only 9 pounds away from the goal I set in July...running inside, without supplements, without p90x, weight lifting and without any fancy diets. If I keep going at the rate I am I should be there by Halloween. Sure, I could drop it quickly by the end of the summer but I seem to hit bumps where I stall out. I see that in my near future.

Name
    Leonard Washington
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Run on the balls of your feet. Look into minimalist shoes. You don't have to go Vibram five fingers but pick up some light weight simple overpriced Nike Frees. Landing on your heels first is what causes the heavy stomping and also contributes directly to shin splints. It will take you a couple months to get used to landing on the mid/balls of your feet but it's worth it.

When you land on your heels you leg is almost fully extended as compared to landing on your mid/balls of your feet where your leg is still bent thus providing more springy effect. It has to do something like that lol. The shoe companies have completely fuked everyone's way of running due to building shoes with ridiculously huge heels for all of these years. Humans went thousands of years with barely any cushion. It makes sense.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Run on the balls of your feet. Look into minimalist shoes. You don't have to go Vibram five fingers but pick up some light weight simple overpriced Nike Frees. Landing on your heels first is what causes the heavy stomping and also contributes directly to shin splints. It will take you a couple months to get used to landing on the mid/balls of your feet but it's worth it.

When you land on your heels you leg is almost fully extended as compared to landing on your mid/balls of your feet where your leg is still bent thus providing more springy effect. It has to do something like that lol. The shoe companies have completely fuked everyone's way of running due to building shoes with ridiculously huge heels for all of these years. Humans went thousands of years with barely any cushion. It makes sense.
    tha ? Don't listen to this guy... Dont run on your heels, run on the balls of your feet, mid/balls of your feet? The you talking about???

You should run with your feet rolling from your heels to your toes, land on your heel and pick your heel up as your toes make contact with the ground and push off with your toes. There should be as little impact as possible. One smooth motion

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    tha ? Don't listen to this guy... Dont run on your heels, run on the balls of your feet, mid/balls of your feet? The you talking about???

You should run with your feet rolling from your heels to your toes, land on your heel and pick your heel up as your toes make contact with the ground and push off with your toes. There should be as little impact as possible. One smooth motion

I think I read in one of those runners magazines that you are supposed to have a motion like you are treading sand in between your toes after every motion. Running on the balls of your feet is pretty much running flat-footed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    as long as youre not slapping your flat feet on the ground you'll be ok. You shouldn't be able to hear your foot making contact with the ground at all

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Your heel should not touch the ground if you are running properly, he is correct.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Crofl, now people need magazines to figure out how to run properly? jesus christ.

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    I ordered a book on strength training tbh. Rippetoe is a boss.

Name
    Dick
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Arkansas Razorbacks

is there any doubt at all now that you're some unathletic little dork? You don't even know how to run properly

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    I ordered a book on strength training tbh. Rippetoe is a boss.
    Only 30 dollars, though.

Hurt me a lot more to order some ty ass 13 inch LCD TV for 230 bucks.

Thread Information