Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I ordered a book on strength training tbh. Rippetoe is a boss.
    Excellent! Also, check out his youtube videos on proper form, to avoid injury.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    landing on your heel would hurt

Ina world of hype, we win IronMexican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Excellent! Also, check out his youtube videos on proper form, to avoid injury.
    Watched all of that months ago. I was thinking of pirating it, but I'd never have time to read it on my PC, and I lost my ipod somewhere in the ing house.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I think I read in one of those runners magazines that you are supposed to have a motion like you are treading sand in between your toes after every motion. Running on the balls of your feet is pretty much running flat-footed.
    Do you know where the ball of the foot is?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    GOing back to the gym next week

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Leave ego at the door, expect muscle soreness

Pain Strength Happiness ManuBalboa's Avatar
    Name
    Leonard Washington
    A little town by the name of none of your god damned business.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    tha ? Don't listen to this guy... Dont run on your heels, run on the balls of your feet, mid/balls of your feet? The you talking about???

You should run with your feet rolling from your heels to your toes, land on your heel and pick your heel up as your toes make contact with the ground and push off with your toes. There should be as little impact as possible. One smooth motion
    lol no

Try it bro. It takes getting used to because you, me, and everyone else has been doing it wrong our entire lives, but once you get the hang of it you will feel like you are running on air. It's nice. It'll be hard if you are using shoes with a 2 inch heel though. I am 6'0 205 and barely make noise on the treadmill. In the past I've been the loud mofo on treadmills and suffered from shin splints. It's worked for me.
    Last edited by ManuBalboa; 07-17-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Pain Strength Happiness ManuBalboa's Avatar
    Name
    Leonard Washington
    A little town by the name of none of your god damned business.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I ordered a book on strength training tbh. Rippetoe is a boss.
    Ripp is the man. I still watch his videos on squat/deadlift form. He knows his .

http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnymnemonic2

Is another good one for squat form. Those 5x5, 3x5 strength training programs flat out work for what they are designed for.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I have no idea how you'd even run by landing on your heel, TBH. That would be some weird unnatural motion. I mean can you imagine sprinting and trying to land on your heel? That just seems really odd.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Whatever I'm doing it's working because I'm only 9 pounds away from the goal I set in July...running inside, without supplements, without p90x, weight lifting and without any fancy diets. If I keep going at the rate I am I should be there by Halloween. Sure, I could drop it quickly by the end of the summer but I seem to hit bumps where I stall out. I see that in my near future.
    Your burning more calories than you take in. In the end, that is pretty much the bottom line.

That doesn't mean the other tips weren't good ones. In the end however, the most important thing to working out is doing what you enjoy. I can run miles easily but I'd prefer to ride a bike so I ride a bike. For me, doing cardio on a stationary machine is also boring as , so I prefer to be outdoors. That means I deal with things like wind, hills, (going up a steep grade at 7000 feet elevation with a 25 mph headwin is no one's definition of fun - but overcoming it is satisfying as ) and occasionally bad drivers but I would take all of that in a heartbeat over being inside. The main point is though to do what you enjoy because otherwise its a chore.
    Last edited by MannyIsGod; 07-17-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Do you know where the ball of the foot is?

Yeah the middle of the foot. When I run like that it seems like I am slapping on the ground. I am obviously doing something wrong.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have no idea how you'd even run by landing on your heel, TBH. That would be some weird unnatural motion. I mean can you imagine sprinting and trying to land on your heel? That just seems really odd.

Bernard Williams goes to the gym I go to and he told me that sprinters actually run off their toes and their heel never touches the ground. And trust me running on your heel is not as hard as it sounds. It is obviously wrong, but it happens without any effort.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I guess the only way is to racewalk but it's not considered running.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Bernard Williams goes to the gym I go to and he told me that sprinters actually run off their toes and their heel never touches the ground. And trust me running on your heel is not as hard as it sounds. It is obviously wrong, but it happens without any effort.
    Yeah - I've never been a fast runner by any means but anytime I ran or cut or sprint in a sport it was always pretty much on the balls of my feet. The only time I can think of rolling my heel first was during my only year of being in marching band in HS.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Get outside, sweat. Much more effective than a treadmill or exercise bike. I have taken to riding 12 miles before my shift every day since I went home based, but the difference between that and riding an exercise bike at the gym at work has been an entirely different world and it shows.
    Over the past year I had a 10 mile commute that I'd do on my bike when it wasn't cold as but I recently got a new job and now I've had to time to ride after work. Its just a bummer when I get home late because I usually like to do 15-20 miles but I don't like to go after dark so I have a limited window.

Cycling is just so awesome though. I can't imagine doing it inside and enjoying it, like you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Everyone runs differently. I can't remember who mentioned it (was it Jekka?) who said something about the bare foot trend/fade/etc being bad for people with no arches. It's true. You need the support of your arches to support your achillies and the rest of your legs. Without them you're going to hurt really bad. That's part of they there are motion/stability control shoes and in soles.

Here is a great article on running form from, yes Runner's World. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...3951-0,00.html

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    lol no

Try it bro. It takes getting used to because you, me, and everyone else has been doing it wrong our entire lives, but once you get the hang of it you will feel like you are running on air. It's nice. It'll be hard if you are using shoes with a 2 inch heel though. I am 6'0 205 and barely make noise on the treadmill. In the past I've been the loud mofo on treadmills and suffered from shin splints. It's worked for me.

There is this guy at my gym who wears those footie things but he sounds like he is running in Timberlands he runs so loud. He is a little guy too. lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There is this guy at my gym who wears those footie things but he sounds like he is running in Timberlands he runs so loud. He is a little guy too. lol
    lol

Vibram

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    If you are running any type of distance, you do not run on the balls of your feet. That's more for sprinting. For distance running you want to hit just in front of mid-foot towards the outside of the foot and roll in and off your big toe in a nice smooth motion. That's the natural motion of your foot hitting the ground. This is actually the reason why good running shoes like Asics are built with a bigger heel. It's not to cushion as much as it is to promote the motion I described.

It take some getting used to, but a good pair of shoes and some patience will pay off. Your ankles and feet may bother you at first but that's common. I had to wrap my right ankle for a while at first until I got used to it. Be sure to do LOTS of stretching...both before and after you run...and warm your legs up before starting and cool them down afterwards by walking.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i hate when i run, and while running i need to let one out, so i squeeze my butt cheeks but it makes me feel funny so i stop running. then I walk for a minute or two and the feeling of letting one out goes away so i start running again but the ing feeling of letting out comes back again. Sorry if it smells funky out there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Your heel should not touch the ground if you are running properly, he is correct.
    lee, you cool, but your wrong. Yeah if you're sprinting, your heel is not going to be touching the ground, but isn't everyone here talking about jogging? Running to get in shape/lose weight?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    is there any doubt at all now that you're some unathletic little dork? You don't even know how to run properly
    been runnin since you were in diapers little kid

everything I say is correct so it's futile to doubt me. Just take my words as fact and you'll learn a few things instead of doubting me and confusing yourself further.

now go felch someone .
    Last edited by thispego; 07-18-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Serously, manny? Again, we're not talking about sprinting, but you can't imagine touching your heel to the ground while you run? Really?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The middle of my foot is my arch, what the Is in the middle of yalls foot?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Serously, manny? Again, we're not talking about sprinting, but you can't imagine touching your heel to the ground while you run? Really?
    Touching sure but not landing on it first.

Thread Information