Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I just started p90x again last week. I did 2.5 cycles last year and lost 20 lbs, and then I got busy with work and school. My diet went to and I gained almost all of it back. But it feels good to start back up again and, surprisingly, I'm still in decent shape.

The good thing about our bodies is they are a pretty amazing magical specimen. Once you go through the pain of building muscle, your body remembers it and keeps the seat reserved after you lose it. You'll gain your muscle back pretty quick since you already built it up once before.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    I took my second fitness test yesterday with Insanity. Mr.BottomTooth was right about it getting boring. I'm about to shoot myself in the head with the repe ion, but I'm going to stick it out.

Power kicks 96 --> 70 (I was probably half assing them the first go around)
    Power jums 52 --> 70
    Side kick things58 --_ 71
    Powe jumps 30 -->38
    Round the world jump things 12 --> 16
    Burpees 15 --> 19
    Jumping jack push ups (the hardest for me my arms are ) 8 --> 16
    the spiderman things 50 --> 67

I took a few breaks here and there but it didn't kill me. But it didn't kill me the first time either.

January Championship Banner? td4mvp21's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The good thing about our bodies is they are a pretty amazing magical specimen. Once you go through the pain of building muscle, your body remembers it and keeps the seat reserved after you lose it. You'll gain your muscle back pretty quick since you already built it up once before.
    Good to know

I was able to do significantly more than last week in today's workout, which felt good. I was thinking it would take me a while to get back to where I was.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Day 2 of Insanity is in the books. Man, these cardio workouts are a lot tougher than the cardio workouts in P90X.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Just rode 20 miles yesterday. Previous best was 12 miles. It took me 1:45, but 40% of that ride was with a buddy of my who was pulling a trailer with kids so we were going slower than otherwise. Made a commitment yesterday, my buddy and I are going to ride twenty miles every Thursday and Sunday morning. This is all on a mountain bike. I am also going to try to get 20 minutes of riding in every day (time is at a premium), but I am going to use that time to try to go as fast and as far as I can go in 20 (this will be kinda like my "maxing out").

Edit: I am actually starting to seriously consider getting into the wildflower century or the Houston MS 150 next year (my uncles have done both for the last 6 years or so).
    Last edited by Drachen; 05-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    anyone juicing fresh veggies and fruits?

I scored a nice organic garden place.
    www.BeWiseRanch.com

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just rode 20 miles yesterday. Previous best was 12 miles. It took me 1:45, but 40% of that ride was with a buddy of my who was pulling a trailer with kids so we were going slower than otherwise. Made a commitment yesterday, my buddy and I are going to ride twenty miles every Thursday and Sunday morning. This is all on a mountain bike. I am also going to try to get 20 minutes of riding in every day (time is at a premium), but I am going to use that time to try to go as fast and as far as I can go in 20 (this will be kinda like my "maxing out").

Edit: I am actually starting to seriously consider getting into the wildflower century or the Houston MS 150 next year (my uncles have done both for the last 6 years or so).
    my folks do the MS150, get yourself a road bike. Or at least a hybrid

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    anyone juicing fresh veggies and fruits?

I scored a nice organic garden place.
    www.BeWiseRanch.com
    Ok, so I bought a juicer a couple of years ago which removes all the pulp, rind, seeds, etc.

Now, a coworker went to some class and they are saying that the pulp, seeds, reind, etc. are good for you. So she bought a high power blender to chop it all up and put in a smoothie. Anyone have a good take on this?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    my folks do the MS150, get yourself a road bike. Or at least a hybrid
    Oh I plan on buying a road bike, but I want to have 6 months of proof (to myself) that I am going to stick with it before I drop 300 or so on a bike (I will buy off of craigslist). I started in March, so I figure that around the end of the summer/beginning of fall I will get one. I am currently using my dad's barely ever used walmart mountain bike (he has a nice road bike that he uses). Also, I have heard that if you can ride 20 miles with a mountain bike, then you should be able to ride 40 miles with a road bike, so I guess it isn't a horrible thing to start off with a mountain bike.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Ok, so I bought a juicer a couple of years ago which removes all the pulp, rind, seeds, etc.

Now, a coworker went to some class and they are saying that the pulp, seeds, reind, etc. are good for you. So she bought a high power blender to chop it all up and put in a smoothie. Anyone have a good take on this?
    basically that is what I have heard too. without the pulp and seeds, you get all the sugar, but lose all the fiber. I heard a loooooong time ago that the rind is the most nutrient rich part of a fruit, but , I never followed up on that so take that with a rock of salt. The fiber thing makes sense though.

I know people are going to get tired of me talking about it, but my vitamix is perfect for this because it is able to chop everything so fine that even though I put an entire fruit into it, if I leave it on log enough, I can make juice where you cant taste any pulp at all. I use it to make almond milk, then use a milk bag to strain the pulp out, but then dry that out to make almond flour (or I will hold onto it and throw some into a smoothie to bulk it up so I get fuller). They are expensive, but worth it.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I have one of these. Great machine

http://www.amazon.com/Hurom-HU-100-S.../dp/B002TUU392

but it's still weird to be left with the solids after juicing. That stuff has value, beyond just the fiber.

I agree that throwing the entire items into the blender to make a fresh food smoothie is healthier (and faster and with quicker cleanup).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have one of these. Great machine

http://www.amazon.com/Hurom-HU-100-S.../dp/B002TUU392

but it's still weird to be left with the solids after juicing. That stuff has value, beyond just the fiber.

I agree that throwing the entire items into the blender to make a fresh food smoothie is healthier (and faster and with quicker cleanup).
    Yeah, the cleanup on the juicer wore me out. This and the amount of fruit it took to make a decent quan y of juice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    yeah, the cleanup consists of filling the pitcher about 2/3 of the way, two drops of liquid detergent and turn on high for 3 mins. done.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Ok, I am finally on a good schedule. I did 41 miles last week (more than I did all last month) and that is my goal to do 40-50 miles every week. Can't really fit more in because of time, but I figure that is a good amount and I can just work on increasing speed within those 40-50 miles.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    I'm still struggling with losing the last few pounds. Insanity hasn't helped that much except for endurance (I can see that difference but weight wise nothing has helped). I looked into going gluten free but then I read (and then remembered) that beer is mostly wheat and knew I couldn't do that. So now it's back to looking for something different.

silverblk mystix
    Slomo has done his best to keep me slimmed down, but more and more people are using those damned wide monitors.

If you eliminate the trolls, you would immediately appear svelte.

silverblk mystix
    I'm still struggling with losing the last few pounds. Insanity hasn't helped that much except for endurance (I can see that difference but weight wise nothing has helped). I looked into going gluten free but then I read (and then remembered) that beer is mostly wheat and knew I couldn't do that. So now it's back to looking for something different.
    How much is a few pounds and what does your normal breakfast consist of?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    How much is a few pounds and what does your normal breakfast consist of?
    Like 15. I kind of go between an organic cereal and two buckwheat waffles with a little nutella on it with a small glass of 1% milk.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    beer is mostly barley, not wheat. still gluten, but most beers do not contain wheat save wits, hefes and the like.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    beer is mostly barley, not wheat. still gluten, but most beers do not contain wheat save wits, hefes and the like.
    Whatever it was that was like rule #2...no beer.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Like 15. I kind of go between an organic cereal and two buckwheat waffles with a little nutella on it with a small glass of 1% milk.
    Eon't fall for the USDA/BigFarma "whole grains" scam, which is right up there with the "low fat" scam. After 40 years of "low-fat" drum beat, Americans are grease-baggy-er than ever.

Grains are almost totally fast carbs. The non-carb "whole" part is healthful but doesn't offset the negatives of the carbs.

USDA/BigFarma/BigFood promote what they grow with taxpayers subsidies and protections. It's a business with no concern at all for the health of consumers.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I've finally got something to work towards.

My cousin contacted me the other day and asked me to run an obstacle course with her. I said sure...and she gave me the link to the website. I had no idea what I had just gotten myself into. The Spartan Beast...12 miles and over 25 obstacles. At first I thought about declining but I watched the promo and a couple of videos of the race and the more I watched the more I wanted to do it. I haven't really had much to push me in quite some time so this seems like a good opportunity. Plus it's not until December, so I have plenty of time to get ready...and I'm going to need it.

silverblk mystix

The healthiest breakfast one can eat is fresh fruit eaten correctly.
    Correctly means eaten by itself and eaten on an empty stomach and for the first 4 hours or so from the time you wake up.

This alone has so many benefits and will absolutely take an easy 10 pounds if you try it for 3 weeks or so.

I have been doing this since 1992. Twenty years. When I miss eating a "traditional" or "hearty" breakfast-I have it one day and then it is out of my system and the next day I go back to fresh fruit. Coffee can come before or after fruit as long as you don't put tons of sugar and cream.

I absolutely will crave huevos rancheros or bacon and eggs once in a while but I satisfy it for one day and then I don't crave it again for months.

The most harmful thing one can do to a body is to wake up and have a "hearty"(eggs.meats,cheeses.breads,tortillas,e tc.) breakfast. It is a killer.

Don't take my word for it-your body is a laboratory-try it for 3 weeks and see how you feel. You will never go back.

If anyone cares to hear about the physiological reasoning for this I will be happy to provide it. Usually no one really cares to know the facts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Correctly means eaten by itself and eaten on an empty stomach and for the first 4 hours or so from the time you wake up.

This alone has so many benefits and will absolutely take an easy 10 pounds if you try it for 3 weeks or so.

I have been doing this since 1992. Twenty years. When I miss eating a "traditional" or "hearty" breakfast-I have it one day and then it is out of my system and the next day I go back to fresh fruit. Coffee can come before or after fruit as long as you don't put tons of sugar and cream.

I absolutely will crave huevos rancheros or bacon and eggs once in a while but I satisfy it for one day and then I don't crave it again for months.

The most harmful thing one can do to a body is to wake up and have a "hearty"(eggs.meats,cheeses.breads,tortillas,e tc.) breakfast. It is a killer.

Don't take my word for it-your body is a laboratory-try it for 3 weeks and see how you feel. You will never go back.

If anyone cares to hear about the physiological reasoning for this I will be happy to provide it. Usually no one really cares to know the facts.
    I absolutely don't doubt you but would like to read your source material anyway... Also what do you mean for the first 4 hours? Like eating a bunch of fruit over a long period of time? what about smoothies? I used to make myself a large bill millers mug of fruit smoothie (added nothing but juice and fruit) and drank that which would last me until 11am usually.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

I love fruits, it's just that they don't really make me full full, even if I eat 3-4 of them.

I go for eggs+one slice of bread with some cream cheese on it + a cup of tea. That is good for 3-4 hours until lunch.

Then again I'm young so I can get away with eating eggs 3-5 times a week.

Thread Information