Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Exciting. It's a great feeling, losing weight and getting into shape. I suggest a low carb diet since you don't have much weight to lose. You don't go hungry, main thing, and you don't have to stick to it for long to achieve noticeable results before you move back to a less rigid style of eating.

Good luck

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ashbeeigh--just keep it simple. You have to eat less and move more. You can lose weight by diet alone, but exercising will help. However, it's VERY important not to focus on the scale number. It's very possible only to lose 5 pounds, but find that your clothes will fit better

Bottom line is that you have to find something you enjoy doing. If you hate running, you won't stick with it.

Some good sources for strength training geared towards women are:

Rachel Cosgrove
    Women's Health Big Book of Exercises

I'm doing Turbulence Training right now. His books are e-books and his site is a pay site, but he gives you one month free when you buy the original book and there are tons of workouts on his site to download--some for women only, bodyweight exercises only, building mass, etc. Plus, on his FB page, every day (and sometimes twice a day) he will answer questions for 15-20 minutes.

Good luck!

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm really into doing interval training right now. It's made a huge difference and don't have do cardio for hours!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ah, I forgot to mention: Biking or spinning is a great way to elevate your heart rate and burn some calories.

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm with you, Ash. Last week I began walking a mile three times a week. It's not a lot, but more than I've done in over a decade, so the beginning has to be a little easy Exercise sucks, but any lazy slob can turn on an mp3 or Ipod and walk around the track a few times.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Generally, you would have to do some kind of movement that accelerates your heart rate so you can burn calories. Anything that involves an up and down motion would be great like riding my cack.

I mean, i'll keep my end of the bargain by keeping it up. I'll just need some pills, a ring, and have another woman on my mind.

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    are there going to be before and after pics?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Hopefully

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Walk if you need to at first... I went on a biggest loser type decrease over the last couple of years... worked out 40 minutes every morning... started by walking at first and slowly sped up/increase difficulty, etc. I didn't start going to the gym until well into a year in because I had lost so much weight that I need to actually start toning. Don't worry about attacking everything hardcore (running, etc) right away. Do what you can for extended periods of time. The endurance will build slowly and the asthma will decrease gradually.

And naturally, as everyone else was saying, I just ate better. Nothing specific, just better. Paid attention to what I ate, smaller portions, more fruit, breakfast every morning (cereal and banana normally)... that was it. The weight started pouring off quickly.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good luck.

Water. Drink it, swim in it, and bike, walk, or run to it. Make better choices, like oatmeal cookies, instead of double chocolate chip. Reduce your food portions, if you usually eat three, only eat two.

P90X will completely kick your ass, but it's awesome.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    V diet,
    http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_onl...ocity-diet-3-0

if you are disciplined, and also follow the post nutrition plan, it works fast

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it's the co-workers (who don't eat healthy)...
    Keep something healthy in your desk to have while they eat the junk.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Once she starts seeing the weight she wants to lose come off it will be easier for her to say not eat junk. Or do what I used to do when my co-worker would bring me things like fajita's, chicken fried steak, and any other kind of buttery desserts, just accept it, take it home and give it to whoever. When they ask you about how it was the next day lie and tell them it was awesome. Sometimes I would have to try at least a little piece of whatever it was they brought for me just to shut them up. And we were in a car so it was hard for me to fake like I was eating it. lol

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    . A lot.

Does a world of good.

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    . A lot.

Does a world of good.
    But if you are ing lots, while feeling like you lack the physical form you want, where is the motivation to "look good" when you already get all the sex you want? Wouldn't that make a person lazy?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Replace your drinks with water. Stay away from those coworkers since it sounds like they're trying to fatten you up! Or bring a lunch from home.

Do a lot of little things like park farther away than normal so you walk a little more each day.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    But if you are ing lots, while feeling like you lack the physical form you want, where is the motivation to "look good" when you already get all the sex you want? Wouldn't that make a person lazy?
    For one thing, I wasn't aware that the only reason to be in shape was to attract a mate. I see plenty of pug ugly people getting who are getting laid more often than I have been lately.

For another... maybe by ing ugly guys? You'd get the benefit of sex-as-exercise, but also have the motivation to attract a prettier sexual partner.

Motivation for me... Stringer_Bell's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For another... maybe by ing ugly guys? You'd get the benefit of sex-as-exercise, but also have the motivation to attract a prettier sexual partner.
    You've got to assume that the ugly person you are ing has skills and stamina to make it an excercise rather than just a "pump and go"...or does that help work off calories too?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    You've got to assume that the ugly person you are ing has skills and stamina to make it an excercise rather than just a "pump and go"...or does that help work off calories too?
    If kissing burns calories, I'm sure lousy sex does, too. Obviously the wild is a bit more effective, though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're not going to like it, but running is amazing for losing weight and becoming healthier. Plus, it strengthens what is by far your most important muscle: your heart. If you crap out jogging half a mile, you just gotta keep doing it until you only crap out at 1 mile, then 2, and so on. It's really hard at first, but gets a lot easier after a few days, and the benefits are quickly noticeable the first few weeks. You don't have to sprint to gain enormous benefits. A quick jog every other day for 45 minutes to an hour plus cutting out junk food and sodas can do wonders.
    And I say forget running. Different activities suit different people. Running is great for certain types of people that find comfort in repe ive motion, it appears that is not the case for you.

Take a three-pronged approach: 1) Drop processed foods-go to lean meats and lots of veggies-avoid grains, make dinner a light meal 2) develop a cardio routine that fits you, try kick-boxing (it is the opposite of running in that it is far less repe ious) 3) work out with weights using three sets of 12, 10, 8 reps increasing the weight slightly each time, starting with a very comfortable weight. Alternate between upper body and lower body and work out at least five times a week.

Sundays can be cheat days.

Most diet plans exist to sell you something. Just drop processed foods and grains, eating a lot of veggies, and you will start losing weight.

When you start working out, counter-intuitively you may gain some weight at first. Don't worry about that, your BMI will certainly be changing.

This is sustainable and will become an important, rewarding part of your life.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    And I say forget running. Different activities suit different people. Running is great for certain types of people that find comfort in repe ive motion, it appears that is not the case for you.

Take a three-pronged approach: 1) Drop processed foods-go to lean meats and lots of veggies-avoid grains, make dinner a light meal 2) develop a cardio routine that fits you, try kick-boxing (it is the opposite of running in that it is far less repe ious) 3) work out with weights using three sets of 12, 10, 8 reps increasing the weight slightly each time, starting with a very comfortable weight. Alternate between upper body and lower body and work out at least five times a week.

Sundays can be cheat days.

Most diet plans exist to sell you something. Just drop processed foods and grains, eating a lot of veggies, and you will start losing weight.

When you start working out, counter-intuitively you may gain some weight at first. Don't worry about that, your BMI will certainly be changing.

This is sustainable and will become an important, rewarding part of your life.
    What's wrong with grains ?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What's wrong with grains ?
    Stored energy. To be avoided, likewise fats and potatoes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A good suggestion, IMO.

I completely disagree with the dropping grains. if you are exercising enough, you will need the energy they provide, and will easily exhaust the calories consumed in them. Kick boxing is a decent suggestion, but it's pretty strenuous on the body as well, and is quite prone to causing injuries.

I also disagree with the reps. 12/10/8 sets are still on the side of muscle building, IMO, not calorie burning and muscle toning. I usually run 10/8/6 for pure muscle build when I'm trying to increase mass. I would suggest something like 16/16/16 with a low resistance to really burn calories. Pyramid reps have always been more about muscle building, IMO.

Grains are a serious component of the food pyramid for a reason. I don't think dropping them altogether is a good idea here, particularly if the person will be working out a lot.

Stored energy. To be avoided, likewise fats and potatoes.
    A calorie by definition is energy. Any calorie you consume is "stored". Now it's true that some burn faster than others, I don't get this notion that "we've ate bread for thousands of years and been healthy fit and thin, and all of a sudden it's a bad thing" that tons of people seem to be adopting. Maybe it's due to Atkins, I'm not sure. Yes, eating TOO MANY grains is bad, just like eating too much of any one food is bad. Balance it responsibly and I don't see how it's a problem. There are numerous benefits to having a serving or two of grain per day that otherwise needs to be made up elsewhere.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 05-04-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I turn into a sociopath without carbs. I stick with oatmeal after morning workout and sweet potato to get me through the day/carry over to morning workout.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A good suggestion, IMO.

I completely disagree with the dropping grains. if you are exercising enough, you will need the energy they provide, and will easily exhaust the calories consumed in them. Kick boxing is a decent suggestion, but it's pretty strenuous on the body as well, and is quite prone to causing injuries.

I also disagree with the reps. 12/10/8 sets are still on the side of muscle building, IMO, not calorie burning and muscle toning. I usually run 10/8/6 for pure muscle build when I'm trying to increase mass. I would suggest something like 16/16/16 with a low resistance to really burn calories. Pyramid reps have always been more about muscle building, IMO.

Grains are a serious component of the food pyramid for a reason. I don't think dropping them altogether is a good idea here, particularly if the person will be working out a lot.

A calorie by definition is energy. Any calorie you consume is "stored". Now it's true that some burn faster than others, I don't get this notion that "we've ate bread for thousands of years and been healthy fit and thin, and all of a sudden it's a bad thing" that tons of people seem to be adopting. Maybe it's due to Atkins, I'm not sure. Yes, eating TOO MANY grains is bad, just like eating too much of any one food is bad. Balance it responsibly and I don't see how it's a problem. There are numerous benefits to having a serving or two of grain per day that otherwise needs to be made up elsewhere.
    I am not a big fan of the Food Pyramid, it has too much bias towards simple carbs. For a guy working construction it is fine. For an office-dweller relying on an hour or of activity a day for health maintenance it is defeating (IMHO). In regards to grains I am borrowing from the Paleo diet on that, although I do not want to advocate a particular "diet."

One progressive doctor in Wimberly (pretty buff guy, himself which is different than most doctors I have known) is the one that tried to direct me towards a diet that relied less on grains. This link is not his or anything but does have some of the same logic. You may find it interesting.

http://www.livingpaleo.com/articles/...ns-part-1.html

BTW, you are right about reps. The 12/10/8 is my routine and not neccessarily what Ashbleeigh needs. High reps for weight loss is correct. The main thing is to develop some mass and tone up.

Thread Information