Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    - Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You do not need any diet. Everyone knows how to eat healthier. It is not rocket science. Don't go to KFC and eat fried chicken, mashed potatoes covered in gravy, and a big biscuit smeared with honey butter. Skip the greasy cheeseburger and fries. Eat more fruits and vegetables and less processed foods.

You also do not need some complicated fitness routine either. Walk or swim a few days a week. Try some light weights.

The Sean Marks Dance Duff McCartney's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not sure how long it takes to stick with going to the gym. It didn't take me a long time but now I feel like I can never stop. I go to the gym 3 times a week and if I ever miss any time, I feel freaking fat as .

I'm not sure if I've dropped much weight but I do know I feel alot better physically. I only got into lifting weights recently because prior to that it was mostly treadmill/bike/crunches.

I'm not really trying to become all buff huge like some guys there. Just tone up and burn fat really.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Alright runners/joggers....I'm all for trying it. I need to get out of the house. I tried to jog today. Horrible mess.

I didn't get the shin splints (halelujah!), but my back left calf felt horrible afterward. The last time I tried running I found out my feet seriously overpronate. Do any of you have any suggestion on insoles to buy to make this pain subside? I'm not willing to buy new shoes, but maybe insoles could help.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You should also check out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR):

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Which calculates the calories you need to maintain your present weight. For example, Ash, if you are 25 years-old, 5'5", and 145 pounds, your BMR is 1474 calories per day.

Now if you exercise three times per week, your BMR will increase and take you about 2027 calories to maintain that 145 lbs.

So if you have a 1400 calorie per day diet, you will have a daily deficit of about 600 calories, or 4200 per week. It takes about 3500 calories to burn 1 pound of fat, so over about 10 weeks you will lose about 12 pounds of fat.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Alright runners/joggers....I'm all for trying it. I need to get out of the house. I tried to jog today. Horrible mess.

I didn't get the shin splints (halelujah!), but my back left calf felt horrible afterward. The last time I tried running I found out my feet seriously overpronate. Do any of you have any suggestion on insoles to buy to make this pain subside? I'm not willing to buy new shoes, but maybe insoles could help.
    This might sound dumb, but try wearing an extra pair of socks. When I had this unknown pain on the bottom of my foot I did that, and I noticed that it helped provide extra cushion when I run. I do it every day I run now.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    This might sound dumb, but try wearing an extra pair of socks. When I had this unknown pain on the bottom of my foot I did that, and I noticed that it helped provide extra cushion when I run. I do it every day I run now.
    It doesn't sound dumb. I did that too. It does help. Maybe I need thicker socks, One was thick and the other was the little thin ankle socks...but maybe adding the insole on top of the two pairs of socks would add more cushion.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It doesn't sound dumb. I did that too. It does help. Maybe I need thicker socks, One was thick and the other was the little thin ankle socks...but maybe adding the insole on top of the two pairs of socks would add more cushion.

They sell ankle socks that are thick. Two pairs of those plus your insole should provide enough of a cushion to take some of that stress off your calfs/knees. But a good pair of running shoes does make all the difference though if you really are considering running.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    They sell ankle socks that are thick. Two pairs of those plus your insole should provide enough of a cushion to take some of that stress off your calfs/knees. But a good pair of running shoes does make all the difference though if you really are considering running.
    The shoes I have are good all around..I know there are specific running shoes..but until I get into 5k shape I'm not splurging on the running shoes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Running is the best way to lose weight fast, and once you're in shape you can do some chill toning stuff in the gym. Or since you hate running, try riding a bike/exercise bike for a good amount of time a few times per week. As long as you aren't lazy and stick to it you should lose weight.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I'm not willing to buy new shoes
    If you're really going to start jogging or walking seriously, this should actually be your first step. Bad foot and ankle support can potentially your back up even if it's not causing pain during or immediately after your walk. I didn't take that seriously enough when I was still dancing and now I'm (almost) 32 with nightmare back problems.

If you can't slam with the best then jam with the rest sabar's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It takes about 3500 calories to burn 1 pound of fat, so over about 10 weeks you will lose about 12 pounds of fat.
    Damn, you could lose 4 pounds a week by only drinking water and not eating.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

Maybe just do brisk walking until it gets boring and jogging starts making more sense.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Damn, you could lose 4 pounds a week by only drinking water and not eating.
    nah, if you try to live on too low of a calorie deficit your body will go into starvation mode and burn calories a lot slower. You will also feel like , get headaches, etc.

Ash, also check out Fitday.com to help with diet. It makes it easy to see exactly what you are eating. I keep it simple and just eat the same stuff everyday.
    Last edited by EmptyMan; 05-11-2010 at 05:29 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're not going to like it, but running is amazing for losing weight and becoming healthier. Plus, it strengthens what is by far your most important muscle: your heart. If you crap out jogging half a mile, you just gotta keep doing it until you only crap out at 1 mile, then 2, and so on. It's really hard at first, but gets a lot easier after a few days, and the benefits are quickly noticeable the first few weeks. You don't have to sprint to gain enormous benefits. A quick jog every other day for 45 minutes to an hour plus cutting out junk food and sodas can do wonders.
    This is the only way I have lost weight. I've lost north of 20 pounds a couple of times. The problem is I get injured and I have to stop . . .

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Maybe just do brisk walking until it gets boring and jogging starts making more sense.
    This is what I was going to say... walk at first - at a quicker and quicker pace over time. It prepares your muscles and gradually builds up endurance. You can lose weight burn calories quite effectively walking too. Going straight into running isn't the best idea. If available, walk on an incline on a treadmill for extra difficulty for the legs. I walked quite a bit at first and lost tons of weight before focusing on running. I still walk at a 4-4.5 mph pace sometimes for a workout every now and then for a change of pace.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I've been walking and have started jogging short distances.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sounds like your feet just don't like running/jogging. You might try swimming or water aerobics since it's a lot lower impact. You could start out at the public outdoor pools this summer and move to the natatorium this winter if you like it.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Couch to 5K is a great way to build up to jogging. I myself just started getting back into walking. I'm only doing a mile a day right now, but it's a start. My goal is to increase 2 laps/.5 miles a week until up I'm up to 3 miles a day (perhaps I'll get up to 5 at some point, who knows). Maybe then I'll consider starting to jog.

From my personal experience, I've only lost weight easily and kept it off while exercising. I could slack on the diet and still lose if I were exercising. Dieting alone has never worked to help me lose weight. Now, making healthier eating choices is a good idea. Watching food weight and portion sizes is a good idea. But I refuse to do the strict dieting right now because it's too much pressure and too much set up for failure. I am focusing on working in more vegetables and eliminating the obviously bad stuff.

As for the jogging, my friend overpronated, and she had custom orthotics done. It was the only way for her to avoid joint damage.

And sidenote - I have a lot of sex, as we are trying to conceive again, but I can't say it's done much for my weight. I don't think it hurts though, and I will definitely agree that I feel a lot better (mentally, physically, relationship-wise) when having regular sex. It's a good way to release tension.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Swimming is also excellent exercise. I'm excited the weather is getting good for that. Just bought a new swim cap to help motivate me. May sound silly, but I don't like having to wash my hair more often or the way chlorine can damage it, so I tend not to swim as often if I don't have a good-fitting swim cap.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And sidenote - I have a lot of sex, as we are trying to conceive again, but I can't say it's done much for my weight. I don't think it hurts though, and I will definitely agree that I feel a lot better (mentally, physically, relationship-wise) when having regular sex. It's a good way to release tension.

I'm sure Ash could find some willing workout partners in here...

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Just sayin', since it was brought up.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Simply put, you cannot out exercise a bad diet. People do not burn as nearly many calories as they think they do. As the saying goes, 'Abs are made in the kitchen'. You can do 1000 sit-ups a day, but if your diet isn't good, you'll never see that six pack.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think it's just a really bad idea for Ashbeeigh to neglect the shoes situation, even for just walking. Always start out with well designed, well fitted shoes. Better yet, get 2 pair and alternate them. You should always take care with your feet.

Thread Information