Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You should always take care with your feet.
    Especially, if you're diabetic (Joe Chalupa!). I helped my husband recently with a diabetic foot ulcer study and all I can say is Yikes!

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Simply put, you cannot out exercise a bad diet. People do not burn as nearly many calories as they think they do. As the saying goes, 'Abs are made in the kitchen'. You can do 1000 sit-ups a day, but if your diet isn't good, you'll never see that six pack.
    That is true.

I should clarify my first statement - the most weight I ever lost (about 40 pounds) was done while dieting (Weight Watchers point system) and exercising 4-5 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour (cardio).

I did still lose weight while exercising and slacking on the diet, but I was still eating better than before the diet. I was just allowing more processed foods, more junky foods.

Strict dieting can result in weight loss, and if it is a sensible, healthy diet (think the diabetic or insulin resistance diets which are balanced, full of lean proteins and healthy carbs like vegetables and fiber and low on sugars and simple carbs), you will lose weight in a healthy way and be healthier in general in terms of arteries, heart health, cancer risks, organ function.

If strict dieting is not an option for you (which can be for a variety of reasons), eat sensibly. Don't overeat, watch portion sizes, choose whole grains instead of processed white flour, eliminate simple carbs where possible, eat a wide variety of vegetables and fruits daily. And exercise daily if you can. Even if exercise consists of 15 minutes of walking around your neighborhood, as it does for me right now. That is the best, most sustainable path to general good health, which is more important than clothes size or scale number. Work your way up to 20, then 30 minutes of general activity daily.

If you can work in a more aerobic activity on top of that, two - three times a week (say 30 -60 minutes a time) of jogging, brisk walking, swimming, biking, aerobics class, calisthenics, etc - even better. You'll tone more and lose more calories. Try to work up to 3-4, maybe even 5 sessions a week in addition to general daily activity.

Adding weights and stretching (such as yoga) into that is even better for your body in terms of strength, flexibility and muscle tone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Especially, if you're diabetic (Joe Chalupa!). I helped my husband recently with a diabetic foot ulcer study and all I can say is Yikes!
    So true!! I learned the hard way and am still learning the diet and trying to lose and control my weight. I can jog though!! I dry them puppies like there is no tomorrow and do a good self examination of my feet everyday. My wife isn't too crazy about helping me out although I am more than willing to help her with her frequent breast examinations.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think it's just a really bad idea for Ashbeeigh to neglect the shoes situation, even for just walking. Always start out with well designed, well fitted shoes. Better yet, get 2 pair and alternate them. You should always take care with your feet.
    This is true.

It may seem like a commitment of money, especially when you aren't sure you like the activity and want to pursue it.

But without proper running shoes you will only increase the risks of damaging your joints and causing pain each time you try to do it, and thus set yourself up for failure.

And if you spend the money, you may find yourself more inclined to use them so it's not wasted money.

If you really aren't sure about running, get fit for cross-trainers. It will still help you immensely.

needs a margarita
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So true!! I learned the hard way and am still learning the diet and trying to lose and control my weight. I can jog though!! I dry them puppies like there is no tomorrow and do a good self examination of my feet everyday. My wife isn't too crazy about helping me out although I am more than willing to help her with her frequent breast examinations.

I am proud of you for checking your feet because it IS preventable!

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    On the subject of feet, I think I want a pair of these. Problem is the cheapest I can find are like $60-70 on Ebay. I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much on a pair of shoes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

I am proud of you for checking your feet because it IS preventable!
    Yes it is. It was my own fault and I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did when a simple examination can prevent it. My podiatrist told me if I had come see him sooner he could have saved the big toe!!

And yes, I used to be a running fool back in the day and although I'm cheap I never cut costs when it came to my running shoes and I always had a few pair that I rotated. I do miss those days and the natural high I'd get on nice long runs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    I think it's just a really bad idea for Ashbeeigh to neglect the shoes situation, even for just walking. Always start out with well designed, well fitted shoes. Better yet, get 2 pair and alternate them. You should always take care with your feet.
    The shoes I have are great shoes. Maybe not amazing. I think they're either walking or even running to start with. I know there is a huge difference, I'm not that dense. I may try thicker socks to start with and then add the insoles. I'm still not 100% committed to the running idea yet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is true.

It may seem like a commitment of money, especially when you aren't sure you like the activity and want to pursue it.

But without proper running shoes you will only increase the risks of damaging your joints and causing pain each time you try to do it, and thus set yourself up for failure.

And if you spend the money, you may find yourself more inclined to use them so it's not wasted money.

If you really aren't sure about running, get fit for cross-trainers. It will still help you immensely.
    And the opposite side of that coin that I subscribe to is that the explosion of "advancements" in running shoe technology is a direct cause to the numbers of joint injuries from running. Simply stated, the human foot is not designed to be padded and cushioned while running. Look at it this way, when watching someone run in "running shoes" you predominately see them heel striking when they land. The heel is not equipped to handle that impact and that force is transmitted up through the knee and hip. Stand up from your desk right now and jump up and land on your heels. You won't do it because it's going to hurt. Watch any kid under the age of five run around in their bare feet, they're going to land on the balls of their feet because the ankle/calves are a natural shock absorber. IMHO, if you're looking for a running shoe, get one with a minimum amount of heel and go thin on the cushioning. Looking for a "cross trainer"? A $30 pair of Chucks is your best bet.

Then again, YMMV.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Running bores the out of me.

Join a co-ed soccer or basketball team.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    IMHO, if you're looking for a running shoe, get one with a minimum amount of heel and go thin on the cushioning. Looking for a "cross trainer"? A $30 pair of Chucks is your best bet.

Then again, YMMV.
    I don't run, I'm only going by what my friends who do run have told me in the past. You may have an excellent point.

I have (old) cross trainers that need to be upgraded now that I'm being more active again, and that's about what I spent on them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Join a co-ed soccer or basketball team.
    soccer bores the out of almost everyone and if running bores you WTF are you doing playing soccer? Do you just walk around the field? Oh, are you the goalie?

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    soccer bores the out of almost everyone and if running bores you WTF are you doing playing soccer? Do you just walk around the field? Oh, are you the goalie?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I do.

Remember that kid who used to daydream and pick dandelions on the field while the game was going on?

That's me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Simply put, you cannot out exercise a bad diet. People do not burn as nearly many calories as they think they do. As the saying goes, 'Abs are made in the kitchen'. You can do 1000 sit-ups a day, but if your diet isn't good, you'll never see that six pack.
    This is true. 1/16th of an inch of fat will obscure ab muscles.

This is the only way I have lost weight. I've lost north of 20 pounds a couple of times. The problem is I get injured and I have to stop . . .
    Smeagol, what injuries are you having? You might be running with the wrong shoes/posture.

On the subject of feet, I think I want a pair of these. Problem is the cheapest I can find are like $60-70 on Ebay. I don't think I can bring myself to spend that much on a pair of shoes.
    No offense, SFIE, but it's always a mystery to me why people won't spend money to improve their health. Spending maybe $250 on good running equipment such as shoes, body glide, good running socks (NO COTTON), a decent moisture wicking t-shirt, a Spybelt or something to hold energy gel, and a couple races will vastly improve your overall quality of health.

NOT spending money on these things and not exercising regularly or properly can cost you tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills down the road. A pre-emptive investment in your health is one of the most financially sound decisions you can make, regardless of the fact that you might be paying a lot for shoes.

Just as a warning though, those Vibrams are SERIOUS running shoes. They have almost ZERO padding in the heel. They teach you to run with your muscles and to use your calves and the body's natural cushioning system, rather than to depend on a shoe to save you from injury. Which is good, because no shoe in the world is going to prevent injuries if your posture is bad, all they can do is mitigate and somewhat minimize the damage done. This means if you buy them, be prepared for your calf muscles to be screaming at you for a couple of weeks. But after that, you are going to feel incredible, because you'll be running on your own power, not the shoe pushing you forward unnaturally.

And the opposite side of that coin that I subscribe to is that the explosion of "advancements" in running shoe technology is a direct cause to the numbers of joint injuries from running. Simply stated, the human foot is not designed to be padded and cushioned while running. Look at it this way, when watching someone run in "running shoes" you predominately see them heel striking when they land. The heel is not equipped to handle that impact and that force is transmitted up through the knee and hip. Stand up from your desk right now and jump up and land on your heels. You won't do it because it's going to hurt. Watch any kid under the age of five run around in their bare feet, they're going to land on the balls of their feet because the ankle/calves are a natural shock absorber. IMHO, if you're looking for a running shoe, get one with a minimum amount of heel and go thin on the cushioning. Looking for a "cross trainer"? A $30 pair of Chucks is your best bet.

Then again, YMMV.
    100% accurate, and concisely stated. Some of the vintage Puma's are also flat footed, and excellent for training in.

Name
    Eliza S.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

No offense, SFIE, but it's always a mystery to me why people won't spend money to improve their health. Spending maybe $250 on good running equipment such as shoes, body glide, good running socks (NO COTTON), a decent moisture wicking t-shirt, a Spybelt or something to hold energy gel, and a couple races will vastly improve your overall quality of health.

NOT spending money on these things and not exercising regularly or properly can cost you tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills down the road. A pre-emptive investment in your health is one of the most financially sound decisions you can make, regardless of the fact that you might be paying a lot for shoes.
    Well, in this case it's because SFIE isn't running seriously enough or regularly enough to warrant that. Good shoes are a good investment, but not this month, or next. We're paying off debt and there isn't $250 in the budget right now for that (or, this month, even $60-70). Could we trim and save up? Yes.

But not next month, because we have furloughs at the end of this month, affecting next month's paychecks. Fortunately only 1 unpaid day, but still - that's an unpaid day. There may be more furloughs and there will be lay-offs. While I don't think we will be caught by that, you never know.

Financial health is taking the priority right now over physical health when it comes to extras.

And on a related note - that is one reason people don't eat as well as they might. I'm not saying you have to pay a lot of money to eat well, but produce is not cheap, especially if you buy organic. Dried pasta and a jar of spaghetti sauce costs less than $4, and we can both eat at least 2 meals from that. Or we can buy a pound and a half of apples.

I'm not saying that there aren't ways to do it - there are of course. Buying in season, buying frozen or canned, choosing less processed foods, using coupons and watching for specials. Just that it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people rely on fast foods over preparing their own. You can get full for $2 (of hideously unhealthy nasty garbage, yes), which is less than the cons uent ingredients for a salad.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well, in this case it's because SFIE isn't running seriously enough or regularly enough to warrant that. Good shoes are a good investment, but not this month, or next. We're paying off debt and there isn't $250 in the budget right now for that (or, this month, even $60-70). Could we trim and save up? Yes.

But not next month, because we have furloughs at the end of this month, affecting next month's paychecks. Fortunately only 1 unpaid day, but still - that's an unpaid day. There may be more furloughs and there will be lay-offs. While I don't think we will be caught by that, you never know.

Financial health is taking the priority right now over physical health when it comes to extras.

And on a related note - that is one reason people don't eat as well as they might. I'm not saying you have to pay a lot of money to eat well, but produce is not cheap, especially if you buy organic. Dried pasta and a jar of spaghetti sauce costs less than $4, and we can both eat at least 2 meals from that. Or we can buy a pound and a half of apples.

I'm not saying that there aren't ways to do it - there are of course. Buying in season, buying frozen or canned, choosing less processed foods, using coupons and watching for specials. Just that it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people rely on fast foods over preparing their own. You can get full for $2 (of hideously unhealthy nasty garbage, yes), which is less than the cons uent ingredients for a salad.
    Oh, I totally understand. It's just frustrating when I know someone who owns a 55" LCD TV and a $3000 stereo, or a $600 purse from Coach and $300 pumps who then talks about how expensive running shoes are.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Houston Cougars
    Easjer makes a good point. Mostly I'm just a cheap bas though. Can't remember the last time I dropped more than $20 on a pair of shoes. When I do get a little more serious about this (and I'm looking ahead towards a goal at the moment) I will probably put down the money on something made for running.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    It doesn't bore me, but I've never liked it. Don't know why, really, since I love walking.

If I'm running, though, you can bet it's because something's chasing me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It doesn't bore me, but I've never liked it. Don't know why, really, since I love walking.

If I'm running, though, you can bet it's because something's chasing me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

This. Thats why if you happen to look up the diet of guys like TO, Shannon Sharpe, Ryan Reynolds, all of those guys not only spend/spent countless hours working out, but their diet is/was mad sick. I remember reading that Shannon Sharpe used to work out 4 times a day, but his diet was really strict. Plain tuna with brown rice and peas for lunch. TO had something similiar too. But if you look at their physique you can see why. Thats also why you see alot of these muscle heads who walk around with these huge shoulders and arms but have the nerve to wear the tightest shirts that shows off their massive gut.

Oak Cliff hard hitta
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    This. Thats why if you happen to look up the diet of guys like TO, Shannon Sharpe, Ryan Reynolds, all of those guys not only spend/spent countless hours working out, but their diet is/was mad sick. I remember reading that Shannon Sharpe used to work out 4 times a day, but his diet was really strict. Plain tuna with brown rice and peas for lunch. TO had something similiar too. But if you look at their physique you can see why. Thats also why you see alot of these muscle heads who walk around with these huge shoulders and arms but have the nerve to wear the tightest shirts that shows off their massive gut.
    what would a donut eatin pig know about bein fit?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Round is a shape!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    I was starting to get “big boned” so I started to play golf again…The only way to get fit is to work it…I am looking good…

Oak Cliff hard hitta
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    ...I'm looking for something light to moderate and preferably no running involved (I'm a bad runner and crap out at like 1/2 a mile) to get toned and to lose some weight (thinking like 20-30 eventually).

I haven't taken the plunge into getting a gym membership yet
    crofl so let me get this straight..you want to lose weight but you don't want to run or buy a gym membership..

oh magical gypies of fitness, i dont want to actualy participate in physical activities, but can you remove the cellulite from my ass please?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    crofl so let me get this straight..you want to lose weight but you don't want to run or buy a gym membership..

oh magical gypies of fitness, i dont want to actualy participate in physical activities, but can you remove the cellulite from my ass please?
    Yo funny!!!

Thread Information